Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

I think I read just about every thread/post about this Anthem sailing and none of the arm chair meteorologists mentioned the fact that all forecasts are usually for conditions over land - what happened to Anthem happened quite a ways out at sea.:cool:

I think I read just about every thread/post about this Anthem sailing and none of the arm chair meteorologists mentioned the fact that all forecasts are usually for conditions over land - what happened to Anthem happened quite a ways out at sea.:cool:

I don't think so.... According to Susan Buchanan, spokesman for the NOAA there was an Ocean prediction Center alert issued at 1pm Friday which forecast "developing hurricane force winds for Sunday in the Atlantic ".

Many offshore waters forecasts for the Carolinas included warnings thru Sunday for hurricane force winds...

http://www.wfaa.com/news/nation/meteorologists-royal-caribbean-blew-it-sailing-into-storm/38119844

I am staying the night. Sitting in Schooner now enjoying a drink. I will rebook Anthem, but I will never again set myself up for the target in my forehead.

I hope you enjoyed that drink. Thank you for keeping us informed. If I ever bump into you, I'll buy you a drink and bow for you :D

Cindy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

I don't think so.... According to Susan Buchanan, spokesman for the NOAA there was an Ocean prediction Center alert issued at 1pm Friday which forecast "developing hurricane force winds for Sunday in the Atlantic ".

Many offshore waters forecasts for the Carolinas included warnings thru Sunday for hurricane force winds...

http://www.wfaa.com/news/nation/meteorologists-royal-caribbean-blew-it-sailing-into-storm/38119844

I usually dismiss any article that mentions that ambulance chasing lawyer.:cool:

DH (retired US Navy Captain) always comments that he wishes he knew what the true wind speed is on a cruise. Apparent is nice to know when you plan to lay out on deck, but it doesn't tell the entire story.

Wind speed and direction along with ship's speed is typically shown on the navigation and ship's position channel.

I have a question for you. Can you explain in laymans terms the difference between true wind and apparent wind as it relates to ships and how is it measured? Tia. The wind shown on the cabin tvs is always apparent wind

Loubettie gave a link earlier today but for some reason it went poof or got moved, so I thought I would ask you

True wind speed is the actual velocity of the wind. Apparent wind is the combination of the true wind speed plus the speed the ship is sailing into the wind. If the true wind speed was 25 knots and the ship was going 20 knots into the wind the apparent wind would be 45 knots. In other words it would feel like the wind is actually blowing 45 knots.

This is the simplest case, where the true wind and the vessel's course are in opposite directions. I hate to bring up the hated high school math, but apparent wind is "the vector sum" of the wind speed and the ship's speed. Giving a simple example, if the ship is traveling south at 20 knots, and the wind is from the east at 20 knots, the apparent wind is 28.3 knots from the southeast. Its the hypotenuse of the triangle formed by the two speed vectors.

This is the simplest case, where the true wind and the vessel's course are in opposite directions. I hate to bring up the hated high school math, but apparent wind is "the vector sum" of the wind speed and the ship's speed. Giving a simple example, if the ship is traveling south at 20 knots, and the wind is from the east at 20 knots, the apparent wind is 28.3 knots from the southeast. Its the hypotenuse of the triangle formed by the two speed vectors.

Thanks, I have confirmed one thing, it's not always a simple process. There are formulas involved. So, is it correct to say that true wind is measured against a stationary object and apparent wind a moving object? Tia

Thanks, I have confirmed one thing, it's not always a simple process. There are formulas involved. So, is it correct to say that true wind is measured against a stationary object and apparent wind a moving object? Tia

That's the way I understand it.

Well, just to confuse you some more, with a stationary object, true wind and apparent wind are the same, since only one thing is moving. :D

But, yes, you are correct.

Ships will usually have the airplane type anemometer (we call them "wind chickens") that measures the apparent wind speed and direction. Then the ship's ECDIS (electronic chart display and information system) will take the ship's speed and course inputs from the GPS, and derive the true wind speed and direction.

Edited by chengkp75

Wow just watch the national news (NBC) beat up on RCCL. As usual they found every passenger that had something negative to say and put them on air. Not a single passenger had anything good to say about the crew, captain, or RCCL. If there were any, they got edited out.

In case anyone sees interest in further reading, here is a document further explaining wind measurement techniques and instrumentation used.

http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/jma-eng/jma-center/ric/material/1_Lecture_Notes/CP4-Wind.pdf

Thanks, a lot to take in. I am going to hang a weather instrument from the eve of our house today, one of those weather strings, if it moves etc.:D

Thanks again, enjoyed reading

Edited by setsail

You might be able to see on my Live thread about the topic. My boyfriend and I were selected to be on ABC's Good Morning America last night. They put us in a hotel and everything. This morning we got a call saying they weren't running the piece, something else came up. We're waiting in the lobby for our ride to the airport when the other groups that came with us last night came to the hotel and said they were just on TV.

Our positive light was extinguished.

Well, up early to monitor this mornings musings...

I just want to thank chengkp75 and Paul (Aquahound) for their knowledgeable and accurate information from real sailors who know what they are talking about. Fresh breaths of sanity in a sea of rubbish.

And thanks to others who DO take the time to research before they flap their jaws on subjects they know nothing about. Always loved that cliche that says, Opinions are like anus', everyone's got one.

And of course thanks to Karina and Bedazzled....just women:D with nerves of steel, while a lot of men on the ship were whining like little girls.

Well, that's my anus for today....thanks again ya'll:)

You might be able to see on my Live thread about the topic. My boyfriend and I were selected to be on ABC's Good Morning America last night. They put us in a hotel and everything. This morning we got a call saying they weren't running the piece, something else came up. We're waiting in the lobby for our ride to the airport when the other groups that came with us last night came to the hotel and said they were just on TV.

Sorry to hear that and want to personally Thank You for your live feed and all your positive comments

Just saw a piece on our news and they qued in on people screaming the captains a liar etc. Such a shame the news or the majority of them anyway wants drama for the ratings

Wow- that is crazy.

And I think this is the case every single time there are events like this on any cruise line. The people who get on the news are not representative of the passengers.

Edited by skittl1321

Hi Tia,

Yes you could say that true wind is against a stationary object coming from a given direction. Apparent wind takes into account the speed of the object in relation to the true wind and the direction of the object in relation to the true wind as cheng explained. If you think about it, it is really rather simple, and we have computers that do it for us, these days!

I’m not surprised that anyone wanting to air any positive views on what must have been a very unpleasant situation has not made it onto the news channels good news very rarely make the headlines and certainly does not sell papers.

Any idea how many people actually got off the ship last night? I know my wife and I would have stayed on until they kicked us off today.

That is all kinds of wrong! So only the two of you were left out of the piece it seems? :/ I do have to say that the segment was actual pretty good and upbeat. I didn't think there was any unnecessary drama.

Neither the captain or Royal Caribbean are saying that the storm wasn't predicted. It is the strength of the storm that was not predicted. The storm was supposed to have winds up to 75 mph and much smaller in size than it ended up being. At the original prediction they could have sailed around the main part of the storm and even if they couldn't have avoided it the ship could have withstood 75 mph winds without any serious issue. All these articles talk about that they had predicted the storm. Yes they did. They don't mention how far off these professionals were on the strength and size.

You may choose to drive when some snow is predicted and you know you can handle that safely. Are you at fault when you get caught in a blizzard that wasn't predicted.

When you posted last night that you were going to have positive things to say, I KNEW they would snub yall! Pathetic! :mad:

Any idea how many people actually got off the ship last night? I know my wife and I would have stayed on until they kicked us off today.

Honestly, I would have wanted to stay on until Saturday but I know thats not impossible. They want everyone off as quickly as possible so repairs can start and the ship can still sail on time. Understandable