Kids' Room Keys

AutumnDaesy

Hello All,

We are leaving on the NCL Jade over Easter, and while hubby and I have cruised before, this is our first time on NCL and our first time bringing the kids!

Question: Do kids carry their own room card? For example, our 8th grader would of course need hers as she may be popping in and out or purchasing drinks, etc. But will a Kindergartner need his while he is at the Kids Club? (He does have a beverage package.) Or would it be easier/safer for me to carry his card with mine?

If kids do carry their own, how is it usually done? Lanyard? Belt clip? Most of his shorts are "sporty" and don't have pockets.

Thanks in advance!

Hello All,

We are leaving on the NCL Jade over Easter, and while hubby and I have cruised before, this is our first time on NCL and our first time bringing the kids!

Question: Do kids carry their own room card? For example, our 8th grader would of course need hers as she may be popping in and out or purchasing drinks, etc. But will a Kindergartner need his while he is at the Kids Club? (He does have a beverage package.) Or would it be easier/safer for me to carry his card with mine?

If kids do carry their own, how is it usually done? Lanyard? Belt clip? Most of his shorts are "sporty" and don't have pockets.

Thanks in advance!

Whatever works for you works for NCL. If the kindergartner will be ordering his own soda he will need to show the sticker on his card. Lanyards seem to be the option of choice (we purchased the lanyard with a pouch for our teens that wanted it).

Thanks, all! I think we will get him a lanyard (mostly because his big sister will have one), but I can just toss it in my bag until lunch time. It sounds like he doesn't need it to check in/out?

You may want to ask that question on the NCL forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Thanks, all! I think we will get him a lanyard (mostly because his big sister will have one), but I can just toss it in my bag until lunch time. It sounds like he doesn't need it to check in/out?

Are you talking about checking in and out of the kids club?? If so, the youngest will not be able to do that, the adults will have to check him in and out.

My 12 year old wears a lanyard. My 8 year old wore a lanyard this last year and the year before had a clear sleeve he would put in his pocket. He lost the card when all he had was the sleeve.

The 12 year old has always been fine, not losing his card. The 8 year old does fine with a lanyard on.

Only time the 8 year old needed his cruise card was for soda the one time he did dinner with the kid's club. Other than that, he never needed it there.

So, the lanyards are great.

I would keep my daughter's card with me until she was old enough to be on her own. Til then, if she wanted a soda, she would have to have one of us buy it for her.

Every person needs to have their cabin card with them (on every cruise line I imagine) when leaving the ship and upon returning...for the little ones, a parent can be holding them.

When your kids get to middle and high school, they're usually expected to have their student ID on them, and many will use a lanyard. My daughter wouldn't...but once she got to college, she uses a lanyard to hold her ID (which she needs to get her food, etc). In fact, when she was visiting us -- in another city some distance away -- on her fall break, she would wear her lanyard, even though she didn't need to.

And, do not forget one important aspect of your child's cruise card. It also is a charge card.

So, it is in your best interest to put a limit on the card.

Bob

The charging limit is an excellent idea.

The charging limit is an excellent idea.

Not all lines allow that though. On NCL you can charge with it or not, but they don't put a limit on it as long as there's room on the CC. When mine was young we sailed Carnival, and she would save her allowance and I'd put it on her card as a cash deposit. If she used it up she couldn't charge more. Not with NCL, which some parents have learned the expensive way!

Not all lines allow that though. On NCL you can charge with it or not, but they don't put a limit on it as long as there's room on the CC. When mine was young we sailed Carnival, and she would save her allowance and I'd put it on her card as a cash deposit. If she used it up she couldn't charge more. Not with NCL, which some parents have learned the expensive way!

Royal is more insidious. They allow a charging limit, but the limit does not work in the arcade.