Serenade pros and cons

39august

Just off SR yesterday with a few observations Pros: 10 drink card for $80 showed up on day 4 of a 10 day cruise: ship is gorgeous; crew great as usual; entire Viking Crown area opened as overflow for D, D+ and Pinnacle with lots of very good servers circulating; good shows, particularly the Alley Cats, an accappella Doo Wop group.Cons: WJ food lacked variety and for the most part taste as well; Park Cafe caused crowding in the Solarium; it took us four days and several crew members to finally get a table for two in the MDR; this ship seemed more crowded than recent cruises on both Voyager and Freedom class ships.

Thank you for posting your thoughts.

We will be on Serenade in just a few weeks and I hope the crowding is not an issue. Also, if the Viking Crown Lounge is taken up with the upper level statuses, is there any spot on that level for us peons to go. I have always loved that venue, just for the views if nothing else.

I hope the WJ is better on our cruise, although we always find something to eat. We like the MDR on sea days.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your comments. We have sailed on Serenade and loved it. Doing so again in August.

Have never had an issue getting a table for two on any RCI ship so far when requested it.

Had the best WJ food ever on Serenade. At that time they had a phenomenal executive chef and it showed in the MDR and WJ. They are the difference in how the food tastes, in my opinion.

Agree, about Park Cafe. Putting it in the solarium of the various ships was not the brightest of ideas. It can be very disruptive at times, especially when kids are running in out of the Solarium all day to get something from it as well.

Just off SR yesterday with a few observations Pros: 10 drink card for $80 showed up on day 4 of a 10 day cruise: ship is gorgeous; crew great as usual; entire Viking Crown area opened as overflow for D, D+ and Pinnacle with lots of very good servers circulating; good shows, particularly the Alley Cats, an accappella Doo Wop group.Cons: WJ food lacked variety and for the most part taste as well; Park Cafe caused crowding in the Solarium; it took us four days and several crew members to finally get a table for two in the MDR; this ship seemed more crowded than recent cruises on both Voyager and Freedom class ships.

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to hear that the drink card was available.

Did you get your laundry done yet? Wow...I sure had a stack of it to do. :eek: ;) Welcome back home!

I agree we had a wonderful cruise, but also seemed to notice the crowding on this one more than other cruises we have been on. Must have just been the areas we frequented.

We finally gave up on trying to go to breakfast or lunch in the Solarium. Could never find a seat. We did enjoy breakfast in the MTD on this cruise however. The service and food were very good. :) Also Chefs table was one of the best, Bento was great!! :D

Edited by island lady

Jane-The entire VC was only for D, D+ and P members during cocktail hours and the concierge lounge was for suites and Pinnacles only. However, this was due to an unusual number of high tier passengers. This is not necessarily the case on all SR cruises.

Question about your mtr experience. Where you in MTD or early / late? We are currently wait listed for MTD and it's making me a bit nervous as we have assigned 8pm but have a young child.

I would try to get early traditional if possible.

Question about your mtr experience. Where you in MTD or early / late? We are currently wait listed for MTD and it's making me a bit nervous as we have assigned 8pm but have a young child.

You can always go to the Main Dining Room a bit early. We were told to show up 15 min (no more) first time and might can tweak it a bit more as the week goes on and more and more people seem to eat in Windjammer later in the week. That has been the case with every cruise we've been on!

Good luck!

Jane-The entire VC was only for D, D+ and P members during cocktail hours and the concierge lounge was for suites and Pinnacles only. However, this was due to an unusual number of high tier passengers. This is not necessarily the case on all SR cruises.

So no D+ in the Concierge Lounge?

I was on the sailing before yours, we had a big number as well but D+ were allowed. I blame Mario. :p:p:p

According to my D+ friends, no D+ in Concierge lounge. But this was a fill-in concierge for Mario. Maybe they misunderstood. My effort to get a table for two was in early dining, not MTD. I have never before had such a hassle to get the table I requested. It was sort of comical after a few days!

According to my D+ friends, no D+ in Concierge lounge. But this was a fill-in concierge for Mario. Maybe they misunderstood. My effort to get a table for two was in early dining, not MTD. I have never before had such a hassle to get the table I requested. It was sort of comical after a few days!

For the last several bookings - even months ahead Traditional early tables seem to be in short supply. Tried MTD once - Ok but prefer traditional.

Myself and my wife were on the the Western 10 night on January 15, it was our first cruise (and honeymoon), and in short we had a brilliant time.

The crew were the making of it really, great service all around.

We were on My Time dining and were usually able to get a table easily enought, that said we ate at speciality restaurants five nights because we got a good offer.

Can understand the disappointment about the food in the WJ, the standard was great but v little variety from day to day.

Will post a full review soon, it's been on my to do list since we came back.

Also just got off Serenade. We usually do Celebrity but decided to try RCL again. Everything was great except for the food. They need to improve on quality,selection, and temp. control, especially in buffet. We also ordered room service breakfast one morning and everything was cold,including coffee. Some items on buffet were inedible. We are not fussy eaters but we have our limits. Have read comments on how bad the food has gotten and had my doubts but now I know. It's too bad because everything else on ship was great. Just my opinion.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

been

Actually D+ were in the CL also. ;)

I am totally confused. You ARE talking about the Serenade 2/5 cruise correct? I was on that cruise also. (I am the one that hosted the cabin crawl).

Myself and Bucky (both D+) spent most of our time in the concierge lounge. We could find a seat at "magic hour" around 5:45 when 1st seating went to dinner. There were many other D+ passengers in there. Do you remember Lou, Sandy, the newlyweds Stu and Nicole? We were all in there.

I am totally confused. You ARE talking about the Serenade 2/5 cruise correct? I was on that cruise also. (I am the one that hosted the cabin crawl).

Myself and Bucky (both D+) spent most of our time in the concierge lounge. We could find a seat at "magic hour" around 5:45 when 1st seating went to dinner. There were many other D+ passengers in there. Do you remember Lou, Sandy, the newlyweds Stu and Nicole? We were all in there.

Thank You for clearing that up. I thought that was strange. :rolleyes:

No, we didn't use the CL, so I don't know any of those people. I posted that a friend who is D+ told me the CL was for suites only. Obviously she was wrong. We very much enjoyed the entire VK and Vortex bar for cocktail hours. Not crowded and outstanding wait service.

No, we didn't use the CL, so I don't know any of those people. I posted that a friend who is D+ told me the CL was for suites only. Obviously she was wrong. We very much enjoyed the entire VK and Vortex bar for cocktail hours. Not crowded and outstanding wait service.

No biggee...perhaps she just meant that they could not get in and find a seat? This was an unusually heavy D, D+, Pinnacle cruise. I am happy you received good service in the overflow DL in the VCL. We tried it several times, got an order for drinks right away, then did not see our waiter for drinks for 15-20 minutes. I am guessing the VCL was perhaps just really busy at the time we went in there. Bad timing on our part.

Thanks. So, if I understand correctly, the VC is open to all during the day. Just not during the cocktail hour. Sounds good.

Can't wait until our cruise in April.