Exchanging Money on the Ship?

srp1419

You will get a better rate using ATM's in port.

I would find a US Bank when you fly in or even before leaving using your own Canadian bank to make the exchange. ATMs in ports outside the US are notorious for scams, hacking and excessive fees. Barring that, you'll pay a higher fee at any cambio or local port bank than at the guest services desk, so using Guest services can be a safer/less costly way to go.

I was wondering if Carnival will convert Canadian Dollars to US Dollar while onboard? And if so, is their rate higher or lower than on land places? Thanks :)

Why don't you exchange all your Canadian dollars for U.S. dollars at he airport before you get on the ship I would thing the exchange rate would be better.

Gary

I have no idea where folks have gotten their information that the Guest Services desk will give you a better rate than at a cambio(money exchange) in Mexico???

NO hotel(and the ship is like your hotel on land) will give you a good exchange rate!

Cambios in Mexico have the rates posted so you can see and decide. We live near the border of Mexico in California and have always changed money at a Cambio to get the best rate. Your own bank will charge you a fee to get money from an ATM and the ATM will charge a fee as well. IF you are going to another country , not Mexico then any ATM in the USA before you get on board will be better than either the ATM on the ship(which charges $6 for each withdrawal) or the Guest Services desk which is not a bank!

Edited by riffatsea

We are also from Canada and traveling to Orlando next February for our cruise on the Magic. I was thinking of getting some US cash and travelers cheques before we leave home at least that way we are going to know how much money we are going to loose before we leave (I think thats about $30 on every $100 right now)Anything over and above the amount we get at home will be on our credit card but I think exchanging your money at a bank or currency exchange before you board the ship would probably be cheaper

If it were me, I would apply for a credit card that does not charge any foreign transaction fees and use that instead of cash. Websites like nerd wallet dot com can offer suggestions for the best ones for your situation.

Another thought I have is that almost no one uses travelers checks any more. They are becoming obsolete due to better alternatives.

Unfortunately we are going to loose a ton of money as soon as we convert to US dollars and travellers cheques should be easy enough to cash on board the ship or while we are in Orlando so at least that way we aren't carry a bunch of cash around with us. If we use an ATM or our debit card we are going to be hit with the currency exchange plus foreign bank fees with every transaction. The credit card is going to be for our hotel and Disney World prior to the cruise and any on board purchases.

The rate of exchange is closer to 40%. So $100 usd will cost about $140 cdn. Plus a credit card company will put a charge on top of that rate. We have a US dollar count and get travelers checks from our home bank. Any money left over from the cruise goes back into the US dollar account until our next cruise. There's nothing wrong with travelers checks. Better than carrying cash. Our bank account gives us the checks with no fee, just the standard exchange rate at the time of purchase.

We do have a credit card in American dollars so that is not the problem. The reason we need to exchange money is for any cash purchases while in the ports. The first person who replied sent a link to a Carnival page which they said they also charge a fee, so Iam sure they are not the cheapest route to take. Thanks for all suggestions.

I put a little away each pay before we cruise.' Some goes into a Canadian savings account and some into an American account. We use the Canadian account to transfer funds to our credit card to pay for flights, hotels etc. We take our US funds and convert most to travelers cheques. I wouldn't want the uncertainty of not knowing how much US currency I could buy until after I arrived south.

airport exchange booths are horrible for exchange rates. Your best deal is a national ATM that your bank is associated with. ATM exchange rates are very good. Note about T checks, they are getting obsolete. We went to the Kmart in St.Thomas and the clerk had never seen one before and had to get a manager.

I put a little away each pay before we cruise.' Some goes into a Canadian savings account and some into an American account. We use the Canadian account to transfer funds to our credit card to pay for flights, hotels etc. We take our US funds and convert most to travelers cheques. I wouldn't want the uncertainty of not knowing how much US currency I could buy until after I arrived south.

Outside the TC portion (these are becoming less accepted) I think this is a good idea. Using the US affiliated account for the cash you need. Especially if it's with a nation wide bank (no fees) or on a broad use ATM system where you can stop at any bank ATM(fees would apply but varies) and retrieve cash once you land in the US.