Crows Nest booked for private functions DISAPPOINTING

GLP

We recently sailed on the Nuiew Amsterdam, Jan 24 to Feb 8th. On sea days and days when we do not go ashore we like to go to the Crows Nest and sit and read. However on this cruise the Crows Nest was booked for private functions at least half of the time. I feel that this is a public area and should not be booked for just a few and not allowing others access!!!!!

Other than that it was a very good cruise. We went to all 3 specialty restaurants, all of which were excellent.

I'm very sorry to hear that but I'm wondering how often the Crows Nest was actually occupied during that cruise? And was it the only venue you could not access? It could be that it was just coincidence it was blocked during those times you wanted to visit. On the other hand, it could be another example of other reports here in recent weeks of large groups taking over ship's venues to the exclusion of other guests. :confused:

I'm very sorry to hear that but I'm wondering how often the Crows Nest was actually occupied during that cruise? And was it the only venue you could not access? It could be that it was just coincidence it was blocked during those times you wanted to visit. On the other hand, it could be another example of other reports here in recent weeks of large groups taking over ship's venues to the exclusion of other guests. :confused:

It appeared to me that it was booked by just a few people most of the times. One day we went in the morning and it was "booked for a private function" and again the afternoon of the same day. Yes there were other places we could and did go on the ship but it was just not the same. The crows nest is so open and bright. And yes there were other venues were booked as well, piano bar as another example.

I've had this happening to me as well on both the Nieuw Amsterdam and Noordam. Last time on the Nieuw Amsterdam, a 14 day cruise, venues were closed restricted to a group (can't remember the name) without any prior notification. There were only about 20-30 people at most.

Crow's Nest, Lido Pool and Seaview Pool all were private venues. Sometimes even 2 at the same time.

Very, very frustrating. I wish there was a way to know if any large groups are onboard, because whenever a large group is on my cruise, a large part of the ship is off limits for the rest for a given time.

While I was a quite frustrated by this, I could go to another venue quickly. But there were some guests I bumped into who were also making their way to that venue, but those people had a hard time getting around and walking. Needless to say they were not so amused when I told them the area was closed.

I think it is very inconsiderate of HAL not to inform fellow guests who also paid a fair amount of money and are being limited in what they could do.

Since it has happened on 2 of my cruises thus far and you have experienced the same now, I am wondering if this is a regular thing.

There is currently a very lengthy thread running on this forum about this subject of large groups being on ships and their impact on pax who are not part of their group.

The thread is titled something like "Contacted about Dining on Westerdam".........

We recently sailed on the Nuiew Amsterdam, Jan 24 to Feb 8th. On sea days and days when we do not go ashore we like to go to the Crows Nest and sit and read. However on this cruise the Crows Nest was booked for private functions at least half of the time. I feel that this is a public area and should not be booked for just a few and not allowing others access!!!!!

I totally agree with you. I hate that HAL closes off the Crows Nest for private functions during the cruise. On my Zuiderdam Alaska cruise, a Jewish group had the venue reserved several times during the cruise. The most annoying was while we sere sailing into Juneau. The weather was crappy, so the CN was where everyone wanted to go to view the approach. There were a lot of angry people that day.

I don't have a problem with a large M&G (much more than 60) reserving the CN on embarkation day, as long as it concludes before sailaway.

Interesting to read both sides. If a group is onboard I don't see why they have to book one of the top spaces on the ship for a get together when they won't fill the whole space. Granted I acknowledge that people may go because of where it is. But if a group has decided to pay the usually higher prices (I say this because the quilt cruises I have looked at would have me pay more and not use my Mariner # to be part of the cruise) to get the benefit of being part of the group. Part of the benefit of paying the higher price is that you get choice of dining with the group place/time and events in public places that are not public for that time you are there.

That said, a CC meet and greet is not considered a group and is not paying the higher price so why should they get exclusive use of a favourite ship public venue? If anything, it should be open to all and the sign saying it is a Meet and Greet for this voyage - all welcome.

Interesting to read both sides. If a group is onboard I don't see why they have to book one of the top spaces on the ship for a get together when they won't fill the whole space. Granted I acknowledge that people may go because of where it is. But if a group has decided to pay the usually higher prices (I say this because the quilt cruises I have looked at would have me pay more and not use my Mariner # to be part of the cruise) to get the benefit of being part of the group. Part of the benefit of paying the higher price is that you get choice of dining with the group place/time and events in public places that are not public for that time you are there.

That said, a CC meet and greet is not considered a group and is not paying the higher price so why should they get exclusive use of a favourite ship public venue? If anything, it should be open to all and the sign saying it is a Meet and Greet for this voyage - all welcome.

You have a valid point about the group paying higher prices, HOWEVER, if major venues are going to be off limits to non-group members for substantial parts of the trip then the group should be required to charter the entire ship. It isn't fair for HAL (or any other line) to take reservations for a cruise by advertising certain venues and amenities only to have people board and find those things off limits because of a group. Groups shouldn't negatively impact the experience of non-group passengers. I particularly find the closing of the Crow's Nest, a major pool, or an entire dining seating to be somewhat disingenuous on the part of the cruise line who continued to sell space on the ship knowing those wouldn't be available to all. Just my opinion...

You have a valid point about the group paying higher prices, HOWEVER, if major venues are going to be off limits to non-group members for substantial parts of the trip then the group should be required to charter the entire ship. It isn't fair for HAL (or any other line) to take reservations for a cruise by advertising certain venues and amenities only to have people board and find those things off limits because of a group. Groups shouldn't negatively impact the experience of non-group passengers. I particularly find the closing of the Crow's Nest, a major pool, or an entire dining seating to be somewhat disingenuous on the part of the cruise line who continued to sell space on the ship knowing those wouldn't be available to all. Just my opinion...

Cindy, as usual, I agree with you. Truth is, everyone is paying for that space. When I went to Alaska in 2014, my choices were narrowed down to Princess and HAL for the itinerary I wanted. The Crow's Nest, at the top, front of the ship, seeing the way forward, is a lounge that does not exist on Princess. It's one of the few factors that led me to choose the HAL ship over the Princess ship. So, I paid HAL for access to that lounge.

I am agreeing with you. I only suggest one possibility for a group. I do not condone the closing of public venues. An earlier poster on this thread stated their CC meet and greet will close the crow's nest and my point was that this should not be permitted, especially since there are only 60 people. Even our vow renewal did not close the venue where the ship decided it would be held.

My personal feeling, which I have never shared before, is that if a public venue closes a public space on a ship that has not been chartered there should be compensation for all non group passengers onboard. Hal would know the value of its venues by hour and should give OBC as compensation to other passengers. It would be a small amount but a fair trade off IMO.

Does HAL gets the increased fare price rather than the organizers of the group or is it the profit for the organizers?

A meet and greet is for a limited time. It's apples and oranges to compare it to multiple closed venues and limited dining choices that span an entire cruise.

The line offered the dining times at booking. People make cruise choices based on what is offered. Then the company renegs on those choices after final payment date? It is a bait and switch with no recourse.

Pay more, get more??? When people book a cruise, the line indicates that they will have access to all the venues they so highly publicize. Non-group passengers aren't paying a reduced rate for the inconvenience. They are being deceived. They are receiving a diminished experience for full fare.

Edited by natty bumppo

Correct Lizzie,

On our current roll call, I am approaching 170 people, so rather than use the Crow's Nest for our meet and greets, we are using the Culinary Arts Centre. This way, we have our private space and do not interfere with anyone's enjoyment of the Crow's Nest.

That is a smart idea and should be recommended by HAL for all future larger Meet and Greets. :cool: If my stateroom is not made up after breakfast I head to the Crow's Nest for an hour or so and enjoy a good cup of java.

Correct Lizzie,

On our current roll call, I am approaching 170 people, so rather than use the Crow's Nest for our meet and greets, we are using the Culinary Arts Centre. This way, we have our private space and do not interfere with anyone's enjoyment of the Crow's Nest.

Good idea. Culinary Arts Centre is a perfect venue for your M & G.

If an area is closed (like for a M&G), is it listed in the daily On Location Report for the day so other passengers can plan around it?

No, cruise critic get togethers are not posted in the On Location

That is a smart idea and should be recommended by HAL for all future larger Meet and Greets. :cool: If my stateroom is not made up after breakfast I head to the Crow's Nest for an hour or so and enjoy a good cup of java.

I think you meant to say you go to the Explorations cafe, did you not? Now you may choose to sit in the CN after you get your coffee, but a private party on the CN doesn't stop you from getting it, do they?

I think you meant to say you go to the Explorations cafe, did you not? Now you may choose to sit in the CN after you get your coffee, but a private party on the CN doesn't stop you from getting it, do they?

In a number of ships the exploration cafe is in the crows nest.