Closing terminal to enforce delayed check in

JudithLynne

Yep and by the time you park and make your way to Downtown Disney it will be time to head back. I think I would rather just sit at Ports of Call and have a drink and watch the world go by. Yes Ports of Call is not what it use to be 30 years ago but being by the water and watching the ship traffic is kind of nice especially if the weather is nice.

Or for anyone with a car maybe in LB the Aquarium of the Pacific or touring the Queen Mary; in SP the battleship USS Iowa is near the cruise ship terminal.

Edited by Astro Flyer

With expensive parking
Not necessarily. There is a dedicated parking lot for Downtown Disney just south of the Disneyland Hotel. The first 2 hours are free. You can get an extra 2 free hours at any Downtown Disney table service restaurant. After that it does get very expensive, though - $6 each half hour.

Princess cruises just called. We have been offered an upsell to a Penthouse Suite. It was discounted because on embarkation day, there will be filming in that cabin. Our first night will be in our mini-suite and we will be moved the next day for the remainder of the cruise. The ship will move our things. We are also being treated to dinner embarkation evening at the Crown Grill.

We are very excited about this. The person I talked to said that she could give me no information about the filming but to "keep my eyes open"

time4sun:

What concerns me about your plans is that you arrive at LAX at 10 AM Monday, a work day, when the freeways will be busy. You need to collect luggage and go to the car rental place. You need to then figure out where you are going and finally return your car rental and get to the port. This sounds like a poor plan to me. I may be misunderstanding but it looks like Princess is sticking with a 1-3 PM boarding. If you are going to go ahead with your plans I would sure check that directly with a call to Princess.

My guess is that if you arrive on time at LAX, collect your luggage, wait for a cab, travel busy week day LA freeways, you will get to the port around 11:30 AM. You would have a 90 minute wait for the terminal to open. There are places around there that you could walk to, luggage permitting, to have coffee, lunch, etc. while you wait.

Just my opinion.

They could go to the port and turn their luggage in. Then get a cab to Port of Call and have lunch and a drink then take the cab back and get ready to board. There's no place to sit so standing for 2+ hours in line is a hard thing to endure for many. We're leaving Monday and taking the Super Shuttle to the port. It won't bother us if we get there around 12:00 or so.

Princess cruises just called. We have been offered an upsell to a Penthouse Suite. It was discounted because on embarkation day, there will be filming in that cabin. Our first night will be in our mini-suite and we will be moved the next day for the remainder of the cruise. The ship will move our things. We are also being treated to dinner embarkation evening at the Crown Grill.

We are very excited about this. The person I talked to said that she could give me no information about the filming but to "keep my eyes open"

That's great! I would like to second Ports of Call. It's close, and the bird watching is fun.

Congratulations on the up-sell deal. Re: the filming, let us know if you see anything interesting. :cool:

They could go to the port and turn their luggage in. Then get a cab to Port of Call and have lunch and a drink then take the cab back and get ready to board. There's no place to sit so standing for 2+ hours in line is a hard thing to endure for many. We're leaving Monday and taking the Super Shuttle to the port. It won't bother us if we get there around 12:00 or so.

It's also about a 20-30 min nice walk OR there is a free trolley that goes from the entrance to the port to Ports-O-Call

It's also about a 20-30 min nice walk OR there is a free trolley that goes from the entrance to the port to Ports-O-Call

This shows the trolley's 2015 schedule & only on the weekend but didn't see a 2016 schedule.

http://www.sanpedrobid.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2015-Trolley-Schedule.pdf

I searched & found a couple of websites saying operations for the red rail line were suspended in September 2015 for a construction project including this one from the Port of LA.

https://www.portoflosangeles.org/recreation/waterfront_rcl.asp

Edited by Astro Flyer

This shows the trolley's 2015 schedule & only on the weekend but didn't see a 2016 schedule.

I searched & found a couple of websites saying operations for the red rail line were suspended in September 2015 for a construction project including this one from the Port of LA.

Well shoot!!! Good to know. But you can walk to several places on 6th and 7th Sts or all the way to Ports-O-Call...not too far if you enjoy a nice walk...otherwise a cab can get you there....or drive if you have a car.

BTB passengers can't stay onboard in San Pedro. Everyone must get off the ship to zero out the count. Normally, they stay in a special area and are first to reboard.

Usually they reboard as soon as the count is zeroed out which would be by 11 AM.

The question is if they will be forced to stay off the ship for several hours, and, if so, will Princess take them somewhere for that time?

Yeah I know that, but we have a couple of carry ons on wheels. We don't want to maneuver in and out of fences chugging luggage behind us.:rolleyes:

Well shoot!!! Good to know. But you can walk to several places on 6th and 7th Sts or all the way to Ports-O-Call...not too far if you enjoy a nice walk...otherwise a cab can get you there....or drive if you have a car.

"

Thanks. :cool::cool:

I'm staying at the Crown Hotel, and plan to take the shuttle bus. I hope they have the right schedule

Has anyone taken the hotel bus, and are there more than one buses, or are we all taken to the port at the same time?

Edited by ccruisequeen

I'm staying at the Crown Hotel, and plan to take the shuttle bus. I hope they have the right schedule

Has anyone taken the hotel bus, and are there more than one buses, or are we all taken to the port at the same time?

Have you called the Crown? How many ships are in port?? And Long Beach???

It isn't a bus, it is a shuttle(s). Think van. You purchase a voucher and it is first come, first serve the morning of embarkation.

I called the Crowne Plaza a couple of days ago and informed them of the Ruby Princess delayed departure and check-in. I spoke to a very nice and knowledgeable woman who said that she would inform the shuttle divers. I also asked about late check out and was told that a guest can request a "courtesy late check out of 1 PM" To my relief she also told me that the entire hotel is non-smoking.

Judith

Edited by JudithLynne

Thanks so much for the advice re: renting a car for the embarkation day.

Huge congrats to the happy couple for the upgrade!

We have taken all of your comments into consideration and will just get the rental car and head to Long Beach. Just to clarify, we actually fly in at 9am and figured we would have the car around 10 and can return it to San Pedro so we don't have to head back to LAX. While we love all things "House of Mouse", it does seem like a hassle for just a few hours. And lugging around our luggage for a few hours to ports of call seems a bit daunting....although the cocktail sounds like a great idea!!:D

Have you called the Crown? How many ships are in port?? And Long Beach???

My research shows that on 2-29 the Ruby will be the only ship embarking passengers and departing San Pedro.

The Azamara (600 passengers) will be docked for the day (port stop) and will leave at 5 PM. I don't have any information about Long Beach.

Thanks so much for the advice re: renting a car for the embarkation day.

Huge congrats to the happy couple for the upgrade!

We have taken all of your comments into consideration and will just get the rental car and head to Long Beach. Just to clarify, we actually fly in at 9am and figured we would have the car around 10 and can return it to San Pedro so we don't have to head back to LAX. While we love all things "House of Mouse", it does seem like a hassle for just a few hours. And lugging around our luggage for a few hours to ports of call seems a bit daunting....although the cocktail sounds like a great idea!!:D

What is the one way drop off fee in San Pedro? Uber?? How will you get to the ship/port/pier from the rental drop off???

:cool: :cool: