All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Margaret, I kept my red hair for 25 years, then coloring every 10 days just got to be too much & that’s when I let it go silver. I still miss my red. 

Thanks for all the comments for Les. He’s so not looking forward to this 🙄

happy National Wine Day (I need this!) 🍷🍷🍷

Edited by awhfy

Melody it's absolutely crazy that you had that snow!! We've had such heat...graduation was May 18 and the weather was hot and sunny. The ceremony was downtown at the historic theater here. I think there may have been about 100 graduates? It may have been the best graduation ceremony I've ever seen...not that I've seen that many. The graduates weren't required to wear regalia...so they could wear whatever clothing they wanted. A handful had the caps...and maybe 3-4 bought gowns and caps, but they wore the gowns open like a robe so you could see their style and their dresses peeking through.

They graduated by school...drama, music, visual arts, and dance. OMG...Margaret...watching all the dancers cross the stage in their stilettos, I remembered what you said about how the higher the heel, the better, especially when you are training en pointe...did I say that right? Anyway, the ones with averages heels tottered more than the stilettos and I totally thought of you.

Unusual for a high school graduation, but because this is a hs program at a university...Desmond Richardson was honored with an honorary doctorate from the school. Do you recognize that name Margaret? The president of the student council spoke...and the winner of the essay contest read her essay. The vibe was completely forward looking with such positivity and earnestness that all the citizen artists go forth with the skills they've gained, trust their instincts and intuition, stay true to themselves and how excited everyone is to see what they do. There was really very little reminiscing or congrats on the achievements at high school...not really any review of the past...all forward thinking. And not too long! Just right.

I would post a photo of myself on that day...the dress was great but for whatever reason most of the photos that include me are overexposed. Which makes me wonder about the color of the dress and whether it really was all that good...whatever.

Exciting times Margaret!! I feel like we are in similar positions...both entering a time when we will have more time to pursue whatever we decide to pursue and needing to figure out what that is going to be...but knowing that we will be doing something new and different than we have for the past however many years that make up the last season of life.

So sorry to hear about Les's surgery. I don't think there is ever a good time to interrupt life for 6 weeks to deal with recovery, etc. You just have to deal with these things as they come. I hope that the surgery is successful and that his recovery is fast. I believe that warmer weather would make such a thing more comfortable...keep you looser than the cold...and it could be easier to have a brighter outlook with the longer daylight hours. Anyway...hope it all runs like clockwork.

Laurie, I know exactly what you are talking about with the mason jars. I think it sounds lovely. We did floating candles in our centerpieces (we also had the rustic setting at a dude ranch) and I'm imagining the same kind of ambiance. I don't even recall how many people came to our wedding. Sounds like a good size though...not too big but big enough for a fun party atmosphere.

They moved up packing the truck and cut out one of the packing days. I guess they decided they could pack us in one day. So the packers come Tuesday. Two more days to prepare. The truck Wednesday. And that'll be all for us here. Off we go to Florida. We'll be there by next weekend.

I've been wanting to have purple hair for a long time. I think I mentioned it before. But the idea of a whole head full of purple...while I admire it on others...I didn't think it sounded like me. I really like my hairdresser here...I talked with him and he set me up with purple hair that is well suited to me. I think anyway. I wanted my hair natural around my face but then going into purple in a kind of ombre effect. He lightened my hair in a highlight way...every other strip...so that my crown was untouched and the rest of my head had these huge foils with long hair in-between them all. He said my hair bleached out beautifully...and crazy, said that I was an ASH blonde. HUH. Anyway...I asked for an earth purple...and so I have real purple, not violet. It's on the red side of purple and I love it. The color changes in the different lighting, but here it is:

IMG-2834.jpg

IMG-2838.jpg

Yes...my hair is really long.

Totally understand wanting to go back to the red Margaret! I always think of you with red hair...and I think your coloring is best with that higher contrast between skin tone and hair. Being so non-contrast over here, I was concerned that the artificial purple would be too much, but this is a good blend for me. Even with the non-traditional hair color, I somehow still manage to be not too contrasting and so it's working well. Very summery...a fun thing to do before moving.

• Like 1

Anita, wow!  Your hair grows as fast as mine does!  The purple is a great shade on you. 

Good luck on the packing & moving; exciting times. Congratulations on the successful graduation, sounds like a good time. Melody

I have pretty fast growing hair too...I'm not the best about getting it cut.  Mostly, I just get busy and put it on the backburner.  Anita, your hair looks fun!  I have a niece who does something similar.  The hair framing her face is a coolish dark blonde color, but underneath, it is red.  Not  a natural red hair color, but red.  She's worn it this way for so long, I can't imagine her without it.

Your son's graduation sounds really interesting.  I'm used to the typical high school graduation.  My daughters went to a much larger school than I did, so the main difference was the need to move graduation downtown in order to have a large enough venue for it.  It's such a special time.  When does he leave for London?

Margaret, I always feel that we can try different things with our hair, but you will know when it is right.  I think about my hair a lot, but for starters, I know I need to think before I do anything.  My hair is kind of silky....I can get some body into it, but it doesn't do much.  There are a lot of styles I can't wear, as my hair is too straight.  Then with straight styles, it doesn't have the natural body to stay put.  I have found some tricks to give it a little volume, but not much.  

As a result, I've been wearing different versions of the same hair style for quite some time.  The best length for me is a middle length, similar to my avatar picture.

Anita, I hope your move goes well for you!  We all have a lot going on, don't we?  I spent a lot of time outside this weekend.  We have a very, very large yard, and big flower beds to tend to each spring.  It has been so cold and rainy, that we've been behind.  We had fabulous weather yesterday and today though.

I also got all those jars situated.  I'll post a picture in a bit of what they look like.

I stopped at Dressbarn today while running a few errands with my daughters.  They will be closing all their stores, which is sad.   I did find a jumpsuit that my daughters convinced me to try on.  I think it looks fairly warm, but I wouldn't necessarily call it earth.  But it works for me.  I didn't think I would like anything like this at all, but this was really nice!  The color is somewhere between a periwinkle and a blue.  I don't want to call it cornflower, as it is warmer looking than that?  The trim color is coral.  

https://www.dressbarn.com/paisley-tied-front-jumpsuit/prd-103866300?ref_page=search#color/F51

Thanks for the heads-up on the Nike clothes. I found these leggings in rust, periwinkle, and green. There's also some things in a nice brown called El Dorado.

https://www.nike.com/t/dri-fit-power-womens-7-8-yoga-training-tights-vPLvCb/BQ8633-252

Anita, your hair looks great. I can't believe how long it is! Drive safely, I hope the move goes smoothly for everyone.

I didn't know about Dress Barn either. I have to go out of my way to go to one, and I haven't been there in years.

Counting down the last days until the semester is over.... 💃

Oh, that El Dorado color!! ❤❤❤

My newer leggings from athleta are very similar to that Adobe like color in your link.  If it wasn't for everything I have going on, I'd grab some of these up.  I can get those Nike tights for $34, which isn't terrible.

I'm making all the final payments this week and I'm within a $100 of my budget so I'm happy.

One thing about Dressbarn...don't 3 of us have that one shirt?  I've even taken it in when losing weight because I love it.  I will miss the store a lot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aknguyen said:

Hi ladies, I thought of you over the weekend. I was at Dick's Sporting Goods and Nike had quite a selection of sports bras, tops, and bottoms in earth colors.

Thanks I am always looking for workout clothes .

On 5/28/2019 at 6:06 PM, laurspag said:

Oh, that El Dorado color!! ❤❤❤

My newer leggings from athleta are very similar to that Adobe like color in your link.  If it wasn't for everything I have going on, I'd grab some of these up.  I can get those Nike tights for $34, which isn't terrible.

I'm making all the final payments this week and I'm within a $100 of my budget so I'm happy.

One thing about Dressbarn...don't 3 of us have that one shirt?  I've even taken it in when losing weight because I love it.  I will miss the store a lot.

Our orange background with pink hibiscus. Mine is at the dressmakers right now, it was so big that I didn’t dare try the alteration!  Melody

9 hours ago, awhfy said:

Our orange background with pink hibiscus. Mine is at the dressmakers right now, it was so big that I didn’t dare try the alteration!  Melody

Mine is patiently waiting for the warm weather....

Melody, I think of you every time I tie my shoes to go to the gym! Tying them a new way has completely eliminated the foot issues I was having in Zumba. 🙂

Laurie, I like that first shirt too.

We are having the craziest weather! I feel like I'm back in Michigan again. We don't even have a plan for tornadoes or golf ball size hail. Hmmm.

• Like 1

Glad the shoe tricks are helping your feet Margaret. Strange how something so easy can make a huge difference. 

Laurie, $100 on budget!  You go girl!  

Today is our youngest granddaughter’s continuation ceremony (elementary school to middle school). Here’s the first picture Melody

77225AB0-8DA4-4256-9BAA-E210B3E2B3FA.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow, your little fashionista is growing up!

Laurie, I do have last year's variation of that shoe in platinum. I wear them A LOT! In this photo, for color reference, the handbag is definitely light and dark taupe (with gold accents), not gray; the carpet is beige; and my pedi is tomato red. Even though they are called platinum, they read just shiny rather than silver IMO. I"m thinking of getting a new pair this summer if they go on sale to have in reserve (even though I like this style better than the new one). Just be aware that sandals like this with the zipper in the back aren't quiet when you walk. I don't wear them to work so I don't care, but perhaps that's an issue for some people, you never know.

shoes.jpg.dcb5b633a1dde920ad79052922548d8f.jpg

Here’s another picture or two. Yes, our fashionista is growing quickly. The bracelets are my new lapis ones from Life Circles. More graduation pictures later. Melody

FF1F46EB-2CD7-42A2-AD6A-B831E48305AD.jpeg

B8F39B63-E561-4B48-910B-0E1C7F223139.jpeg

8BAFDECA-2302-450D-8B37-191DD8ECC72B.jpeg

993695BB-74E3-4860-988C-2F171FF944D5.jpeg

• Like 1

Melody, your granddaughter is a cutie.  And you look great!  That looks like a jumpsuit I saw in Dressbarn.  They had one with an ivory base and some great earthy colors, but there was also black in it, and since there was so much ivory and black, I thought it might not be a good choice for me.  It has some nice touches of brick red though.  Here is the link:

https://www.dressbarn.com/palm-printed-tied-front-cropped-jumpsuit-/prd-103863394?ref_page=search#color/927

My husband and I took a trip to the outlet mall in Waterloo yesterday.  It's quite a drive, so we only go there about twice a year.  One of the stores there is a Nike outlet, so I decided I would see if they had those brown tights.  When you check the website, they actually have a few different versions.

I'm happy to say they had one of the styles, with an additional percentage off.  I got them for $23.99.  They are brown.  A really warm brown, with an undertone of what I will call rust.  They are really nice!

I am starting to see a lot more color variety in athletic wear, and I think Athleta contributes to that.  They have so many color options, and I think other manufacturers are realizing that people want more.

I found a bright, clear navy color so I scooped those up too.  I saw a really nice dark evergreen, and I wish I had gotten them but I had a budget, and chose my favorites first.

One thing I didn't mention about the wedding was that we had small things we got out of pocket, as we went along.  But nothing really big, you know?  For example, someone had mason jars super cheap on Facebook Market, the ones with the glass lids.  We went and picked them up, and they threw in some other odds and ends of jars for us.  We have a variety of different jars we are using.

We are using them for the floral arrangements too, and  found out that it was cheaper to grab them at Target than it was to get them through the florist, so I did that.   The fun thing is, I have a niece and nephew that have a garden and they do a lot of canning so when we are done, they just have to clean them and they can use them.   The bridesmaids ordered their dresses online with a day after Thanksgiving sale, and saved 30%.

I think the only real splurge is the food, but even that was very reasonable.  We just want everyone to be well fed.  🙂

A question for you all on tipping.  My daughter's hairdresser is also a good friend of hers.  She is doing Steph's hair, the bridesmaids, the moms.  I have her pricing already, and will be adding on a tip.  But I was wondering how people usually handle some other things.

The catering includes two people serving.  I also have two waitstaff people to refill beverages, help with dessert, clean up, etc.  

With the waitstaff, I was told how much per hour for each, and I will be paying the venue who will pay the waitstaff.  I guess I just want to make sure that if I am tipping the venue or the caterer, that tip gets to the workers.  Seeing that it is a wedding, I'll be here, there and everywhere!  do you usually make it a point to seek them out and give them cash directly?  I'm concerned I'll miss them if I do that.

Laurie, it is the same jumpsuit (I didn’t see it in that color or I’d have likely bought it)

is the hairdresser coming to the wedding?  If so, I’d add a gift certificate for lunch (brunch) on top of the tip (that’s a lot of hair!). For the waitstaff I’d give each of them $20, personally. Melody

Here’s the last of the weekend pictures, our oldest daughter turned 49. Note teacher daughter still has a pencil stuck in her topknot. There’s always a joker in the group!  Melody

03383E26-1ED7-44B0-B9CF-D9B196F6113F.jpeg

FA4571CB-9D6C-4DB5-A773-367BD086BB1F.jpeg

CAD58F6F-FE8E-4AD3-81A0-8F818E114350.jpeg

I have some catch up to do on all the news...but here I am, living in Florida now!!

This is hands down the best move DH and I have had to date. We were blessed with all the people that we worked with. I think that always makes the greatest difference in anything you do, the people. I have nothing but praise for New World. They are the moving company, working only with corporate clients...so for anyone that has a corporate relo...if you end up with New World...*thumbs up*. New World hires contractors to do the work...our driver was amazing...and the driver then arranges for additional help. There's a webpage that the drivers and packers/loader/unloaders all use to contact each other...which also serves to keep everyone in check. Word gets out for the good and the bad, so odds are, if you have a good driver contracted...the trickle down effect will be excellent.

The truck arrived yesterday but DH and I spent the weekend "camping" in our apartment. I love our new place...the kitchen is very frustrating so all is not rainbows and unicorns but the downside is far outweighed by the positives.

DH and I set out to explore Cocoa Beach on Sunday. We're closer to the Atlantic Coast...and while we know that of Florida beaches aren't as lovely as the Gulf Side...we decided to explore the closest coast to us.

It was fun to drive past Port Canaveral and see both Adventure of the Seas and Harmony of the Seas in port!

Then on down the main road into Cocoa Beach...so anyone who has driven anywhere into Florida has seen all the signs for Ron Jon...the surf shop...but we have never been there. Once, we counted 56 signs on the way to Disney...so DH and I had to go since we were there...it was really hard to get us and the store in the picture:

IMG-2884.jpg

If you haven't been...it is totally worth going. The building is like a huge sand castle...two stories of all kinds of great stuff. The fashion there is great for the beach AND resort wear. Plus all kinds of other equipment...luggage, soundproof/waterproof speakers, etc. and everything else you would expect at a surf store.

We kept driving and ended up at Tables Beach which is right there next to or possibly ON the air force base. Free parking, if you can find any...and the beach is completely away from any commercial or retail. It's a park beach.

Here I am sporting my new head band from Ron Jon:

IMG-2898.jpg

From experience, I know I need to contain my hair for the beach...I'm sporting my braided, low pigtails. And I managed to not burn! Lily white winter skin in the Florida sun and sand!! Woot woot!!