All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

I was just buying my makeup online and came upon this beauty:

https://www.lordandtaylor.com/karen-kane-high-low-printed-a-line-dress/product/0500089106108?R=734008872214&P_name=Karen+Kane&sid=16B23E8D7200&Ntt=karen+kane&N=0+4294966888&PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442617887

Anita, I love your beach hair! So glad the move went so well for you. Still digging the purple hair. 🙂

Anita, I'm glad the move went so well for you!  You have so much to explore and do.  It must be so exciting for you.  The nice thing is, unlike a vacation, you don't have to rush and get everything done at once.  I hope the weather is wonderful for you.  

We get a nice day here and there in New York.  The rest of the time, it's raining.  Lol!

Margaret, that dress is so pretty.  It feels very artsy to me.  In the past, I wouldn't be able to wear a dress like that due to the neckline.  These days though, I can if the sleeveless section creates almost a halter look like that.  I admit I really like that look because my shoulders are the part I like about myself.  I think everyone has a feature they like, and since working out, I like my shoulders.  I wish my arms would catch up, but they are still a little flappy!  Age!

Laurie, I like that kind of top with the high neck and halter shoulders because it gives me the effect of a longer torso, which evens out my proportions. I have to say I do not like those black clunky shoes with it. I do seem to be drawn to a tailored boho look sometimes. Not the Stevie Nicks version. 🙂

I had today off so I popped into my local Marshalls and came home with this great high/low Lucky tank top. I put it back twice because it was white, but finally decided I'd try to tea stain it because it was only $20. I did it as soon as I came home so it wouldn't get lost in the to-do pile, and it came out perfect muted ivory. The green is more hunter green than it looks in the photos because it was so sunny today it washed the pictures out a bit.

greenlucky1.jpg.e5c1a59d9151903e690d7903e42f4a5d.jpg

greenlucky2.JPG.5f8bc539b345bebc7f3c7c6ff9574e1c.JPG

Anita, congrats on the move!  Always good to get good movers. Ron Jons!  Love the place, always find something unique there. Table Beach is on Patrick AFB, we lived across A1A from it in base housing for 3 years; good memories. That’s one of the beaches where we’d go on full moon nights to guide the baby turtles into the sea, not onto the highway (they’d get confused with the bright light). Our kids still talk about doing that, getting up at 2Am for our turtle shift then going for breakfast afterwards. Hope you enjoy your time in FL, gets your Disney annual pass!

Margaret, love the blouse & like the dress, I too like the neckline. 

Les has the shoulder surgery tomorrow, I’m busy moving stuff to give him best access to recliners & lots of pillows. Melody

Best of luck tomorrow, Melody, hoping everything goes well and he heals quickly.

I just got this cute swimsuit:

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-slender-carmela-underwire-one-piece-swimsuit-with-tummy-control-print/id_330353

My "retirement" was announced on Monday and I've been flooded with emails. It's lovely, but also a lot of work writing back to everyone! I teach my last class on the 13th and then I get a party. 🙂

• Like 2

Margaret, that is a cute swimsuit.  I know I keep mentioning my new Athleta swimsuit, because I can't wait to wear it!  I don't think it will be worn on my August cruise, since that isn't a "beachy" vacation.  I guess it means I have to start planning another one for maybe February.  🙂  🙂 

I'm off today, and my daughter and I are doing fun wedding stuff.  I'll keep you all posted!!!

Laurie, I recommend bringing a bathing suit for by the pool at least. It could still be in the high 80s and possibly 90s here in late August/early September, so you never know how your first day or two will be. Spring and fall are very unpredictable.

Hoping all goes well today for Les...and you too, Melody, being the support.

Nice suit Margaret. DH has gone through similar situations with the outpouring of support and communications when we have moved and he has changed jobs in the past. It is a lot. Not that it is arduous but it is time consuming...and it can be difficult to find the words in the responses that feel personal because you feel so repetitive with what you say to everyone.

I can't believe the amount of unprinted newspaper used in packing! OMG...and for the record, finding a way to recycle these days is getting harder and harder (if you don't have curbside). Our curbside, being in an apt is very limited...they do it but it isn't like I can put out all this newsprint for the pick up. The one thing I can say is that I feel so validated in my own packing and moving abilities after watching and observing these professionals. My packing technique is spot on...but I have picked up some helpful pointers. I'm seriously debating writing about how to pack. I always read that you should write about what you know...well, I do know how to pack...so that's one thing I could cut my writing teeth on so to speak... Melody, I could send you the copy and see if you would add anything! LOL

Too funny about Tables Beach! DH and I have been spending a lot of time in conversation about our lifestyle hopes in our new locale. One thing DH and I used to do a lot was just explore...get in the car and go. This is all pre-internet, of course, and before there was the ability to research everything before going anywhere. We've decided that to go back to that explore mode a bit, which is what we did on Sunday. Just head out and see what we can find.

I do feel like we could use a bit more in our beach kit right away. My first topic to tackle is shade. I knew that was going to be a top priority...I do have some things that we don't really use that I've been debating working into a custom rig. In the meantime, I think a simple umbrella may the thing to get.

• Like 1

Anita , Glad you move went so well .

Melody, I hope the surgery is successful .

We are busy planning our transatlantic .Amsterdam hotel prices are crazy expensive .Plus a lot of them are non refundable .I don't like paying the crazy prices but I am really not liking the non refundable part especially as we get older .

• Like 1

Anita, look into a beach igloo (I think that’s the name). It’s a pop up SPF50 sun shelter. Folds into a small carrying case. Yup, I can pack. 

Les came thru surgery well. He had a rotator cuff repair & a biceps tendon reattached. Doc was surprised at the 80% tear on the biceps (it didn’t show on the MRI). Doc can’t believe he could make a fist or hold anything in (his dominant) right hand because of the severity of the tear. Glad it’s fixed. Melody

• Like 1

Melody, I'm glad your husband's surgery went well.  My husband had a bicep tendon that tore and he had surgery on it about 6 years ago.  Because he had the repair done immediately, his recovery was quick.  I guess the tendon starts to die off immediately so the longer it is, the more difficult the surgery will be and the subsequent recovery.

I don't know if your husband's surgery was the same - my husband's tear was in the arm rather than the shoulder.

Our day of wedding stuff went well!!  Our main issue has been her dress.  Her pregnancy seems like mine - she started showing almost immediately.  That has meant some adjustments.  But we have things pretty well figured out!  One more adjustment, and her dress will be ready Tuesday.  Seeing the wedding is Friday, that is close. 🙂

Anita, in my area, recycling is everything.  We have one bag of garbage a week, and that is it.  Our recycling can is bigger than our trash can, and sometimes we have trouble because we run out of space.  It's only picked up every other week.  We are constantly checking the numbers on plastics and what not.

• Like 1

Anita, I’m surprised your moving company didn’t arrange a pickup of the boxes & packing materials. That’s one thing our military movers always did, usually a week or two after the furniture delivery

Les is doing pretty well. I removed his “happy sack” (pain ball) neck catheter & the bulky dressing today, I’ve never seen so much sticky (cling wrap & tape) stuff holding a neck catheter in place...he’ll start feeling better now. Melody

The moving company would pick up the boxes and paper...but the paper was SO MUCH, it was in the way...so we recycled it. The boxes...well...I know we are going to move again...possibly as soon as 15 months so...since I recycled all my old packing boxes knowing that I was getting new packing boxes...I'm keeping the boxes. I'll just have to buy new paper when we move again.

• Like 1

Your kids look great!  I hope you all had a wonderful time.  At one time, I was very fond of shopping for vintage clothing.  Then the necessity of work and other things kind of got in a way.

And I'm kind of fussy at times too.  For me, I love a 50s look.  Grace Kelly is a good example.  Another example is when you watch an old movie such as White Christmas, and you see how they got all dolled up for a night out...I just love that.  I have shied away from the word vintage previously, I think because of liking certain eras, not just older eras.  Anyway, that is off topic!  But one of my favorite things I wore for years during high school was this wonderful navy taffeta jacket.  It was very fitted with 3/4 sleeves and large, fabric covered buttons...I was super tiny then, so it would never fit me now, even if I still had it.

What line and ship were you on?   I went to Bermuda twice,  in 2008 and 2009.  I look forward to going back again.  It is so beautiful there.

Today was colonoscopy day.  Not a fun thing, but a necessary one, based on my family history.  I'm happy to say that for both of my colonoscopies, they found absolutely nothing.  Yay!  If you getting into your 50 or have any family history of colon issues, please have this procedure done.  There really isn't much to the test, and while the day before isn't thrilling, it is no big deal.  The only thing I will complain about is the stuff you have to drink.  Improvement is needed, lol. 

• Like 1

We were on the Anthem of the Seas.  It definitely makes it more affordable to be able to drive to the port.  It was beautiful there, my husband and I might be back next year as part of our 25th anniversary cruise.  We are looking at a Viking Ocean Trans-Atlantic, but I need to finish reviewing the budget to see when we can pull the trigger (I think they require a larger deposit than the mainstream lines I've sailed before).

I don't know who the vest belonged to before, but the dress was likely my great grandmother's (born in 1901).  Both items were in my grandmother's belongings, but she kept everything so it might have been something from a rummage sale too.  There were several coats with 3/4 sleeves too - I think that's because gloves were so common and the coat was as much for looks as for warmth.  There were some other stunning dresses, but they were super tiny (we did find a few girdles/corsets too 😉 ).  Based on pictures they might have been my grandmother's.  She was more stately and slender when she was young, while her mother was shorter and more curvy (and those are the genes which my daughter and I got).

No news is good news for your procedures!  I just turned 46 last week so I still have a few years to go, but do have some history on my mom's side.  I've heard the drink isn't pleasant 🙂 I'm big on prevention and early detection though, so I'll deal with it when the time comes.

Colonoscopy hint, ask for the two bottle prep instead if the gallon jug. You drink one bottle, then a 16oz bottle of water then repeat in 8 hours. Much easier to tolerate. You can also add a packet of crystal light to the prep (we use one we’re not totally fond of). Les is a colon cancer survivor because of colonoscopys. Pacruise804, the rule of thumb if there is colon cancer in your history to start doing colonoscopies 10 years prior to the age they were when diagnosed. All 3 of our kids have gone ahead & already had one. Melody

• Thanks 1

Melody, that is what I had - the two bottle prep.  The stuff is very, very concentrated, and I can't imagine anything helping the prep to taste better, to be honest.  I was required to follow it by 5 full glasses of water for the first dose, then 3 glasses of water for the 2nd.  Between the doses, I was allowed to continue the clear liquid diet but my I could not get that taste out of my mouth, and it made me nauseous to think of even having a popsicle.  This is very unusual for me.  I like most anything, and can eat and drink things I don't like under normal conditions.

But it is what it is, you know?  Maybe by the time I need another one, they will have a tastier option.  🙂

I do not have colon cancer in my family, but one of my older siblings was having a few issues, and they recommended a colonoscopy.  Many polyps were removed that contained pre-cancer cells.  As a result, my other siblings had one done as well, with similar results.  They have all had polyps removed with pre-cancer cells, except me.   I know it is important to continue these tests though, even if I have had two good tests now.  (the last was 5 years ago)

Isn't it awful about Big Papi?  Knowing you are a Red Sox fan like me, you've been probably following the news.  That is awful.  I can't imagine a motive that has you walk into a crowded restaurant/bar and shoot someone.  There was no doubt that the people there were going to make sure you didn't get away.  Thankfully, they are flying him back to the US today.

• Like 1

Paccruise , Very nice pictures . I love Bermuda . It is one of our stops on our transatlantic next year . Have you considered RCL for a transatlantic. Their prices are very fair . Have you considered Spain & Portugal for a transatlantic ? They are so cheap ! I was shocked at the low prices . We had lunch at a lovely seaside cafe 2 sandwiches and 2 wines and our bill was 6 euro .

Melody, thanks for the advice about early screening.  I'll talk to my doctor and make sure he knows about the family history.  Both were late onset, at least for when they were diagnosed (80's) so maybe that is why he isn't recommending sooner.  My physician is usually proactive about screenings.

Sally,  the TA we are considering leaves from Portugal 🙂 For our 25th we wanted something a little extra special, which is why we are looking at Viking.

• Like 1

Nice photos pacruise! Mom and Dad are currently IN Bermuda...that's on my short list actually. I've seen some nice longer itineraries that have many sea days and the overnight there. That's my preference...I like sea days. Seems like a mini-TA in a way with a 7 day Bermuda itinerary. Mom and Dad are on a last minute 11-day that includes stops in the NE US. Laurie...I think they have stopped at some of the ports you will be going to.

Love the tea stain Margaret!

The big day is tomorrow Laurie? OMG...such excitement!!

My hair is curling down here in the humidity...for a while there in Texas I could coax some curl but here...the wave is coming out in full force. I think my layers are good...if I go to bed with damp hair from an evening bathe...I wake up with some serious waves...almost as if my hair had been in braids overnight.

Loving the afternoon showers...so much like Houston. The big difference is in watching the clouds roar past...a more definite direction to the storms as they move across this piece of land sticking out into the sea. 

I forgot to mention that we arrived down here just in time for the start of hurricane season. Kind of like other states we have lived in where there is a sales tax free weekend for school supplies? There was a sales tax free day for hurricane supplies! LOL. Bottled water, generators, etc etc Welcome to Florida! LOL. 

• Like 1