All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Sally, I had to laugh about your comment. You guys have all those gators down there!  

How is the weather right now?  I know that Florida's weather isn't the same all over, but I have a relative visiting Daytona Beach and New Smyrna, and she posted a picture today on Facebook and everyone is wearing coats.   Not winter coats, but fleece.  It is probably still better than snow though, for sure.  

I know we often talk about health, so I wanted to add something here.  While it isn't fun, get a colonoscopy.  If you get regular check ups, your doctor will decide when you should get one, and how often they should be, based on your health and family history.  I had my second one in June, with the previous one being about 7 years ago.  My husband gets his second one tomorrow.  Mine have always gone very well, but there is a history in my family of pre-cancer cells and lots of polyps, so that I why I get them when I do.  

So there's that!

Sunday, I am going to Christmas at the Palace again.  I have been going every year for about 3-4 years now.  With my hearing, I have to toy a lot with my hearing aid, but I love the experience.  The Palace Theater is a beautiful, old fashioned venue for live performances.  The event is filled with Christmas music from the DeSantis Orchestra.    There is something about being in the city area at Christmas time, attending something like this.  It's great for putting me in the Christmas spirit, and I love doing special things.   Last year, we went to a favorite restaurant for dinner first, and I took this picture that I love.  Isn't it funny how we remember little details, which otherwise would seem insignificant? I have this picture saved to my favorites.

This year, my daughter is going with us.  She has gone a few times in the past too.  I'm sure she will be itching for dinner with us, which will be fun because we haven't gone out to dinner as a group in quite some time.  

• Like 1

Laurie , It is sunny but chilly . I have been wearing jeans and a long sleeved shirt .It is not coat weather . Maybe high 70's .We usually have a cold snap at this time .

All the lakes in Florida have alligators . They are not in salt water so thankfully they are not in our backyard.

Edited by Sailor_Sally
  • Like 2

Laurie, thank you for the health reminder.  My doctor hasn't recommended yet, but I'm only 46.  Have a great time with your family on Sunday 🙂 

Sally, it's interesting how temperatures can be perceived.  High 70's for me and I would likely be wearing capris and short sleeves, but if you are used to mid-high 80's it probably does feel cool.  I saw a cartoon several years ago about 50 degrees in fall vs. spring and the fall picture had everyone bundled in coats, hats & gloves while the spring side had shorts and swimsuits 😉 

Les has had colon cancer. We were very fortunate that it was caught early enough to just require 1/2 of his colon to be removed. He’s had colonoscopies every 3 years  since his late 30s & the cancer was caught in 2016. Do not put this off...it is a silent killer

• Thanks 1

Thanks Sally! I've been writing away today while DH is at work and DS has a friend over. It's crazy that DS knows someone from GA who is here...but the Dad lives here and he is visiting. The friend also happens to be working on a film project...producing his own film and DS has been writing the score to accompany the film. That's what they are currently working on. The project started over the summer. Gives me the feeling of free time to get my writing done.

We had Thanksgiving last night. Just the essentials for last night. I made a 19 pound turkey...YAY leftovers! Mashed potatoes, homemade gravy and cranberry sauce. Roasted asparagus. Homemade pumpkin and pecan pies. I'll be making additional sides for future leftover meals...rolls, Brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes. Things to make the deja vu dinners slightly less deja vu.

We went kayaking in a nearby lake. I looked and looked and wanted to see an alligator so bad...couldn't find one. I've been on the look out for an alligator since we moved here and still haven't seen one. I know they are out there...there was a recent warning about someone sighting one in one of the littler more decorative pond like things on the apt complex property...but the bigger lake we have access to...I'm wary...still debating...but just might get up the nerve to do it.

I probably should find a doctor... I can't remember the last time I saw a normal doctor...

Back on ship…

We exchanged our towels for fresh ones…just because we could.

Now let’s all remember…there are TWO elevator banks. You can stay in the first one you see with the hoards of other people that all stop at these first elevators…OR you can walk through that first bank and go around the corner to the other elevator bank which is basically empty.

For real. One other couple joined us…while there were easily 20 people or more in the other elevator lobby…

We went straight to the solarium.

Just like the elevators…the first hot tub was crowded with couples…but the other hot tub had 3 couples.

There are shelves right next to the hot tubs. The shelves are adjustable, but as they are…they form little cubbies where you can stash your stuff and keep an eye on it. Very convenient.

The hot tubs are great. Hot when you get in…but not so hot that you sit there and start sweating. The solarium bar was currently closed. FYI.

We enjoyed a very relaxing soak while DH debated if he wanted to give the Flowrider one last go. There was another afternoon session from 3-5 PM. He ultimately decided that he did…so when we were done just sitting in the hot tub…we headed back to the Flowrider.

It’s opposite world today with a long line for the slides and a relatively short line for the Flowrider…

RIMG4009.jpg

One last view of CocoCay from above…

RIMG4005.jpg

This second Flowrider session didn’t go quite as well as DH would hope. The morning session had gone much better. We’re taking it as more motivation for improvement for when we sail on Harmony in February 2020.

It was time to relax with a drink…we headed back to the cabin to change into comfy, dry clothes and grab our second bottle of wine. We opened the wine in the room and headed out in search of glasses and a nice place to sit. We got glasses from the Pool Bar, which were plastic. Searching around for a not too windy, not too loud spot…we ended up on Deck 12 aft again…this time on the Adventure Ocean side. Gorgeous view…but the music from the Sports Deck was a bit louder on this side.

This is where we were for sail away. Mariner left about 15-20 minutes before Navigator.

A lovely time…when the wine was done we decided to go in search of food. I thought the buffet would be open at 5:30 PM like EVERY OTHER restaurant on board…but NO. The buffet would not open until 6:00 PM.

What to do for 30 minutes?

We decided to go check out the gym. 

My Dad is a gym rat. I’m so proud of him. He is about to celebrate his 75th birthday. Before I got married, he decided to get in shape for my wedding and he has maintained his amazing fitness for all these years. About 24 years. He is the biggest inspiration. He has some specific needs for exercise equipment so I thought I would check out the offerings in the gym to document what is there on his behalf. The following post will have TOO MUCH detail for most people. It will be clearly marked…LOL.

• Like 1

Mariner of the Seas
Fitness Center 
December 2019

I took photos of each strength training machine to record them…but don’t feel it necessary to post them all. But should anyone really want to see a specific machine, I could share. My list will also include whether or not the machine is a single axle machine or double. This may not be the correct term…but the idea is that for certain exercises…bicep curls for instance…you could have a double axle machine that will work each arm independently…or a single axle machine where both arms work the weight in tandem.

There was one…ONE person in the fitness center at 5:30 PM on Sunday, December 1, 2019. 

Pectoral Fly / Rear Deltoid…double

Seated Leg Press…this machine is the kind in my PT therapy where the feet are stationary and the body moves.

Seated Leg Curl…single

Leg extension…single

Seated Row…double

Triceps Press…single

Chest Press…double

We call this the “Flying Machine” in my family…well…it’s similar…

IMG-3682.jpg

Abs…

IMG-3683.jpg

The free weight area…

IMG-3684.jpg

There are actually two racks of free weights…the heaviest of this type is 75 pounds. The lightest is 5 pounds.

IMG-3685.jpg

Many smaller hand weights…

IMG-3688.jpg

IMG-3689.jpg

IMG-3691.jpg

Medicine Ball tower…the top weight was 4 pounds. The bottom weight was 10 pounds.

IMG-3692.jpg

I don’t know what to call this…so picture…

IMG-3695.jpg

The all purpose cable machines with all sorts of attachments…

IMG-3696.jpg

Recumbent bikes…4
Never-ending stair machine…1

Seated rowing machine...1

The ever popular window line of treadmills…

IMG-3701.jpg

Upright bikes…4
Elliptical machines…7

Balls, bands, and mats in the exercise room…

IMG-3705.jpg

The exercise room…you can see just a couple spinning style bikes…there were a large group of them outside the room.

IMG-3706.jpg

There was a water fountain in the gym with a sign saying don’t fill your water bottle at the fountain.

Up next...the Ladies Changing Room!

Mariner of the Seas

Ladies Changing Room

Ladies Locker Room

Sauna

Steam Room

December 2019

Off the lobby...pretty all sure...are the Mens and Ladies Changing Rooms. Very nice.

IMG-3714.jpg

Showers...

IMG-3713.jpg

IMG-3711.jpg

IMG-3712.jpg

This area is also where the sauna and steam rooms are located. 

There was one woman in the locker room...headed into the steam room...I didn't attempt to take photos of those.

So...I took these menu photos the previous evening...when we showed up at the WJ expecting it to be open. But it was between 9:00 and 10:30 PM. The doors were shut and no one was around. There was a table set up selling specialty dining...and they had all the menus at that table. I thought...this is the perfect opportunity to take menu photos! 

And I did.

Chops MENU

Mariner of the Seas

December 2019

IMG-3653.jpg

IMG-3654.jpg

IMG-3655.jpg

Chops Wine List as seen on a table outside Chops...

IMG-3729.jpg

IMG-3728.jpg

Jaime's Italian Dinner Menu

Mariner of the Seas

December 2019

IMG-3657.jpg

Izumi MENU

Mariner of the Seas

December 2019

IMG-3649.jpg

IMG-3651.jpg

IMG-3652.jpg

I also took a picture of the laminated advertisement for the current on board pricing...

IMG-3656.jpg

IDK how these photos upload and get embedded and if you can blow them up to read after going through all that processing online...in the event that you can't...the flyer says:

CHOPS GRILL +1...$65 pp

Unlimited Dining Package...$29 pp/pd

All packages include wine discounts:

40% off Bottles Under $100 and 20% off Bottles over $100

An 18% gratuity will automatically be added to guest's check.

Terms and Conditions:

Prices are per person for the full sailing. All selections are subject to change. Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to verify eligibility upon arrival to the activity. Specialty Dining Packages may not be available for every sail date. All reservation are subject to availability. Packages include food portion only for dinner and, when available, lunch service. For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you'll receive a $35 food credit. Beverage not included. For Dining Packages, it is not required that children 12 and under purchase this product. Children ages 0-5 dine for free and children ages 6-12 will be charged a $10 cover at the restaurant. Not available on holiday sailings. Not valid for Chef's Table, or Culinary Experiences / Activities. Purchase of dining packages provides 40% discount off bottles of wine priced at $100 or less; 20% discount off bottles of wine priced over $100 while dining in Specialty Restaurants. Wine discount valid only with the purchase Chops +1, 3-night, 5-night, or Unlimited Dining Packages; other Dining Packages excluded. Terms of Royal Caribbean's Alcohol Policy apply, including a minimum drinking age, which varies by itinerary. Offer is not transferable, not redeemable for cash, and expires on the final night of the cruise. VAT will be added to the price where applicable. Terms of Dining Packages apply.

Anita, even if this isn't where you wanted to post the info, I love hearing about it.  My husband and I often use the fitness center, but since we never ever take the elevator, we have found the stairs to provide a large amount of exercise, since we are always heading all over the ship.  My husband is the type to grab a mat and some weights, and create a regimen for working different muscles.  I opt for cardio first, then I love the machines.  Here at my local gym, it is mostly Nautilus brand.  

One thing I love about going to a gym, while in my hometown or on a cruise, is the variety.  

I have a question for all of you.  You all know that I love formal night.  RCI has changed up to "Dress Your Best" or something similar.  While for me that may mean wearing the dresses I love, I also realize that over time, it is going to mean more and more shorter length dresses.  For that reason, I don't think I will be adding any more long dresses.  I will bring one long dress for each cruise, but start integrating cocktail dresses.  I realized that I don't have very much when it comes to shorter dresses.

I re-wore the same dress as last year to the Christmas party on Sunday, in part because it has three quarter length sleeves.  However, I have various occasions for shorter dresses, and most of what I have isn't dressy.   

This leads to my question...if you are window shopping or online, and see something that seems like what I might wear, let me know! Sometimes I forget to look at different places, and end up going to the same stores over and over.  

• Like 2

Anita, so enjoy reading your review on the RCI thread. Excellent info about the Flowrider. It's good to know about the levels of assistance they provide, it's encouraging that so many ages and abilities are accommodated.

My Christmas present arrived yesterday! I finally got a new laptop. It is so small, so sleek, so fast! 😄  Not to mention that all the keys on the keyboard work. And my antiquated version of Windows is bye bye, thankfully. Still, it's quite a learning curve with the new software, and having to load all my bookmarks and special programs (like the one for NYPL) , and generally how the pad works. The "desktop" works more like a phone with windows and layers, so that's a bit odd to get used to as a visual person who likes to see things laid out flat in a pattern. We are PC and Android users from way back, so we choose similar products so that everything works together.

Laurie, my go to for dresses was the L&T store, but their website is still a first look for me. I think Macy's has stepped up their game for dresses a lot. For a really special dress I've shopped at Nordstrom. I love Tadashi Shoji but generally look for a sale because they are pricey.

So here is a Christmas freebie for one of our regulars. I got these VERY nice JJill pants on a super discount, but they just don't fit right on me. I am very straight up and down so these curve out in the hip and thigh area just a tad too much on me. I don't want to bother with trying to alter a knit. Never been worn. Size L (12-14). I'll pay shipping if you promise to make a tiny donation to a local animal charity in return. 🙂  You can email me folkdt at aol.

JJillPants.JPG.c1a5890767a173cc941efbb7a0bc32fd.JPG

Margaret, my go to on line is Dillard’s & Macy’s. I only look at L&T & Nordstrom. We don’t have them here & returns aren’t easy. 

We’re making our trek to the animal shelter today. That’s where my old towels & scatter rugs go. This year we’re doing some old blankets too. This & a healthy check. Melody