All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Anita, if you still have your dress with the oil stain you could try Dawn dish detergent as a stain remover.  I've been surprised how well it works even on set stains.

Or Spray & Wash stick (like a deodorant stick) --- it's an amazing product!

• Like 2

On 6/18/2020 at 12:46 PM, MJC said:

https://www.columbia.com/womens-pfg-freezer-iii-dress-

I'm not sure which color I prefer... I always like turquoise, but I would like more red things.

https://www.columbia.com/womens-chill-river-skort

When I ordered the Columbia booney hat, I also ordered the "freezer" dress in two colors and the teal skort, and they just arrived. The skort is a keeper. It is a different teal than the hat but is similarly on the green spectrum of teal. I wear skorts a lot at the lake for errands like running to the post office or grocery store, and it's a bonus that they have pockets. Most of my shorts do not.

The freezer dress is fitted, and tech fabric, which is not my usual cup of tea for a dress, but I could literally do chores in it then go jump in the lake, so I decided to keep it. It might work for paddle boarding too. The teal color was sold out so I ordered the reddish one and the blue/turquoise floral. The reddish one is actually more coral and way more FIRE than works for me, plus it does that thing where when it stretches the fabric turns paler in color, like elastic stuff does. So unattractive in the bust area. It's going back. The blue floral doesn't do that so that is the one I'm keeping. It's called the Dolphin Vacay Vibes print.

That's my shopping update!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Or Spray & Wash stick (like a deodorant stick) --- it's an amazing product!

My favorite!  I have that & a tiny bottle of Dawn in my cruise essentials bag

• Like 1

Lookin' good, Melody. 👍

DH is a fan of Jockey products, so we get the catalog... here's a cute T-dress, I think in a good blue for me, Lake Blue Heather, and can't tell if it's an EARTH purple or a FIRE magenta, Raspberry Mist Heather. Anything berry is usually too clear pink for EARTH, I think.

https://www.jockey.com/catalog/product/jockey-womens-casual-t-shirt-dress

Cute dress Margaret. I like the blue

We’re heading into a 2 week stretch of 90+ weather. Really need a couple of days of gentle rain, the fire danger is very high. We’ll sit in our yard the next couple of nights with the hose at hand. Our idiot neighbors don’t understand fireworks ban (or the up to $7,000 fine), they’ve been fined before but don’t care. Only time we see/hear them. 

Happy 4th weekend to everyone  Hope it’s quiet!!!  Melody

I bet it is nice to get your hair done! I've been thinking how badly I need a cut...my ends are so damaged. But I just don't feel like finding a new stylist in the midst of this situation...and especially with the move on the horizon, I would get one closer to our new place and so it all just seems like something to continue to procrastinate on... I've been analyzing my hair and I think I could cut it myself and get my same cut, only shorter. I really think I could do it too because my hair is so freaky long that I can see all of it no problem.

The only thing is...I figured out that my hair is cut parallel to the floor when it's pulled straight UP from my head...all of it. The top ends up shorter and the bottom ends up longer and that's how the layers happen. But the thing is that my arms aren't long enough to reach to the ends of my hair like that...I'd end up taking off several inches and I'm not sure that I want to cut it THAT short. I have to figure it out...

Margaret...I don't like the tee shirt dress. I wish I could find short sleeved tee shirt dresses that I would like but I have serious problems with the fit. And that's what I don't like about this dress. I would like to get my shoulders covered by I just can't handle the way that most tee shirt dresses are constructed and I can tell you the potential fit problems with that dress. May not matter for a $20 easy to wear dress BUT...

These sleeves will be the kind of sleeves that if you lift your arms, the dress itself will move up along the body, rising with the raising of the sleeve fabric...and if the dress is semi fitted around the bust, it is likely that the dress will STAY above the bust and when you lower your arms, you will have to pull the dress down. If you were to imagine the dress lying flat, my guess is that the outer edge of the sleeves would be pointing down toward the lower hem of the dress. See the Tees and Tanks photo link on the Target page:

https://www.target.com/c/tops-women-s-clothing/-/N-5xtbq

It makes it look like the sleeves will have an angle on them when you wear them, but they don't. They end up parallel to the floor and creating an imaginary straight line across the body. It's not flattering. This dress does that horizontal line...and if you look at this striped tee that had the angled sleeve when flat, when worn, the sleeve is horizontal:

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-slim-fit-short-sleeve-v-neck-fitted-t-shirt-a-new-day/-/A-78264118?preselect=77864765#lnk=sametab

You can see all the issues with the fit.

Mens tees, when you lay them flat the outer edge of the sleeves lay out almost perpendicular to the floor...in essence, forming a "T", hence the name Tee Shirt. A "Ladies Tee" usually doesn't form as much of a T when flat because they are trying to have a more flattering shape on the sleeve, less fabric, less wrinkles...but there are compensations that should happen so that the sleeve can move without affecting the fit of the torso. This dress doesn't seem to have any of those compensations judging from the wrinkles in the sleeves in the photos.

• Like 1

So I just put on the one tee shirt dress that I have that I like...that doesn't make me crazy to wear because of fit issues. When I'm wearing it, there are NO wrinkles on the sleeves themselves...they hang loosely enough that there is drape...but no wrinkles that result from pulling on the seams of the fabric.

I have found for nice wear around t shirt type dresses they need to be a blend of cotton and nylon . Otherwise they do not last looking nice for long .Last week I hit a wall . They whole covid thing finally did me in so I have spent this week going out every day even if it is only one chore or a ride . We also ate out twice and I had my hair cut today . I feel so much better . The thing with Covid is there is nothing to look forward too .We usually have at lest one trip booked and I always go to visit my daughter and grandsons in the summer . Neither of us want to book anything until this Covid passes .HopefullyI can visit my daughter in October . We will then wait until at least a few ships have sailed with no issues before we book a cruise  . It will be interesting to see what ships are left and what the sailings will be .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

I have found for nice wear around t shirt type dresses they need to be a blend of cotton and nylon . Otherwise they do not last looking nice for long .Last week I hit a wall . They whole covid thing finally did me in so I have spent this week going out every day even if it is only one chore or a ride . We also ate out twice and I had my hair cut today . I feel so much better . The thing with Covid is there is nothing to look forward too .We usually have at lest one trip booked and I always go to visit my daughter and grandsons in the summer . Neither of us want to book anything until this Covid passes .HopefullyI can visit my daughter in October . We will then wait until at least a few ships have sailed with no issues before we book a cruise  . It will be interesting to see what ships are left and what the sailings will be .

Sally,  you really nailed it-nothing to look forward to! That’s the worst part although there are other aspects that are a close second.

Sharon

Edited by purduemom1

Sally, hit the nail on the head. We have a b2b out of Tampa booked for March 2021. I have my fingers crossed it will go!  Our great niece is postponing her wedding (in MA) from Oct 20 to Jun 21. We were seriously thinking of driving out in Oct, June likely better. 

Anita, how’s the move going?

hope everyone has a lovely 4th of July weekend

BLT pasta salad!  True winner. Next time I’ll make it without the cheese cubes, they didn’t add anything. I cut the recipe in half & we’ll have pasta salad for several days Melody

C67CC477-EA88-4ACA-B2C6-364ACD021087.jpeg

A1016C71-B6AD-46CD-B7B0-553586F93240.jpeg

D68F2BFA-C444-4E63-B05D-8E013E29A912.jpeg

B5E780E0-EF19-435F-8E2C-A8BFF8995937.jpeg

Melody...we close Tuesday! It's all very exciting! I'm not sure how to talk about it here...we have so many plans and there is so much we are looking forward to. It feels awkward to be in such a positive place while reading about Sally and you and others having such a hard time. 

• Like 1

Anita, I can’t speak for others, but here are my thoughts about hearing your new home details. First of all, I do acknowledge that many are having a hard time right now. I also see that there are now many CC threads that never would have been posted were it not for the virus. This site and probably many others, is helping many to survive this situation we are all in. Reading about what others are doing does allow a break from all that each of us is dealing with. Again, I’m speaking for myself but I’m guessing that others on this thread feel the same way. I am very happy for you and your family that you have this exciting adventure ahead of you. I am looking forward to hearing the details and hopefully some pictures. We will survive this pandemic even if it doesn’t seem that way right now, so diversions are a good thing and I’m thinking that we all welcome them.

Gosh, I didn’t mean to be so “wordy” but hopefully you know what I’m trying to say.

Sharon

• Like 1

Melody, that salad looks yummy! I just might have to try it. DH won’t eat ranch dressing unless he doesn’t know it’s on the salad. Have managed to slip several things past him as long as I don’t tell him what they are ahead of time! 

Sharon

11 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Melody...we close Tuesday! It's all very exciting! I'm not sure how to talk about it here...we have so many plans and there is so much we are looking forward to. It feels awkward to be in such a positive place while reading about Sally and you and others having such a hard time. 

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I’d like to hear the news about the new house & see pictures. It’ll break me out of the post surgery, etc funk. 

9 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Melody, that salad looks yummy! I just might have to try it. DH won’t eat ranch dressing unless he doesn’t know it’s on the salad. Have managed to slip several things past him as long as I don’t tell him what they are ahead of time! 

Sharon

Use mayo (& maybe a packet of dry Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning). That’s actually what the recipe called for but I had 2 huge containers of Ranch dressing so used that. I was just thrilled that I could eat a little of it. Les adored it. I did only make 1/2 the recipe & it made a lot. Very easy recipe & pretty. Melody

Thanks for the mayo and the Hidden Valley mix. Have both of those on hand.  I have a recipe for a layered salad that uses just mayo and Parm cheese as the top layer. Love that recipe and yours reminded me of that. Haven’t made it in years as it  needs a large bowl and quantity to make a pretty presentation. Directions don’t call for it to be tossed before serving so you can see the layers. (Yes, serving is a bit tricky in order to get some of each layer) Yours would be easy to halve since it is tossed together. Going to give it a try-will be great on a hot day and we have plenty of those. 

• Like 1

Anita....pictures and house info, please!  We are interested.

love how you detail info...your comments on the tee shirt dress sleeves was helpful.

everyone...celebrate safely.

Keep those numbers down.

• Like 1

Happy 4th everyone! We are grilling for two and having patio cocktails at the firepit with another couple after dark. Hoping the neighbors two doors down have their usual fireworks  since none of the local communities can do them this year. 

20200704_112843_resize_17.jpg.3ee17b3a2382c7c5140048278be988b7.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

Happy 4th everyone! We are grilling for two and having patio cocktails at the firepit with another couple after dark. Hoping the neighbors two doors down have their usual fireworks  since none of the local communities can do them this year. 

20200704_112843_resize_17.jpg.3ee17b3a2382c7c5140048278be988b7.jpg

Margaret,I’d never leave the lake house with that gorgeous view

Anita, I would love to hear more about your house!  I'm sure you must be so excited, and don't feel that you shouldn't share.  Hearing about normal things is a big deal for many of us.

Melody, that salad looks good!  How does the lettuce hold up?  I'm wondering in particular about the leftovers.  It seems like something we would like.

Sally, I think we all need to get out and do things now.  This is must my own thoughts here, but it is how you do them that matters.  My husband and I took a drive today, and our favorite place for roast beef sandwiches is now open.  We did just like we are supposed to - wore our masks until we were seated, then took them off.  We were a bit extra careful, and used hand sanitizer.  Tables were 6 feet apart, and the waitstaff all wore masks.  While it is different, it still felt like our normal trip in so many ways.  I don't mind wearing a mask, and I'm supporting a local business.   

We are back home now, and I'm doing very normal Saturday things...cleaning and laundry!

I forgot to mention that I had free 2 day shipping on those dresses from WHBM.  They arrived much quicker than I was expecting because of that.

The blue dress is really nice.  I love the color.  The straps don't look as bad on me as I was thinking, but they will need adjusting.  I really like the dress in that it has traditional styling but in an unexpected color and pattern.

The brown dress did not fit right.  Because I am top heavy, the size I ordered was a bit snug at the top, and I had a horrible gap sticking out near the bustline.  I do think the dress it beautiful, so I debated about sending it back for a different size.

They actually reduced the price, and still have 40% off, so I'm not exchanging, I'm just going to send it back and order a new one.  I can just see this dress worn quite a bit.  The color is fab, and it isn't a "swing" dress.  It has a fit that I think would be nice for most people.

I noticed this dress too, and as you know, I'm not really a print person, but this really appealed.  What do you all think of the colors?  I loved that the bottom is brown, but there is once photo in the group where the colors look completely different.  WHBM likes to have collections, and looking at the collection, it looks like there is brown in other items but it does seem cool in other things.  It may be worth trying.

https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/halter+ombr233+chemise+dress/570289620?color=2885&catId=cat15459340