All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Margaret, I like your hair.  You always look really great in blue.

Speaking of hair, I had a haircut in the fall that wasn't right at all.  It's my fault, it is what I asked for.  It had no layers and was too short.  This was in mid November, I believe.  Well, I was letting it grow out, and March I was going to go for a hair cut and ask for a tiny trim, shaping, and layers.  In other words, nothing off the length, overall.  Then COVID came through and salons closed.

Long story short, I haven't had a cut since November, and it is so long now, and totally shapeless and annoying.  Hair salons opened last week where you can get a cut, but no blow dry.  That is fine with me, but I decided to wait a little bit because I know people have been freaking out about not being able to get their hair cut.  In a few more weeks, I'll look to make an appointment.   I was thinking of doing just what I planned on earlier - so a bit of different shaping, trim and layers. I might see what I think about the length.  There was a picture from last year, and I was thinking how much I like my hair in the picture.  Layers make all the world of different for me.  Without them, my hair is very flat and unruly.

I like my hairdresser a lot.  She is a great lady.  At times though, I really wish I had someone to guide me through more.  She always listens to me, but doesn't really make suggestions.  

I color my own hair, so that isn't an issue for me.  I do think a lot about not doing it anymore, and then seeing how it looks.  About a year ago, I changed the color a little bit and while it was hardly noticeable, it is closer to my natural color so that when my hair starts to grow out, you don't see that color line of roots.  You do see the gray, which I don't much care about.  I often wish there was a way to strip the color, and just leave behind your natural hair tone. 

I think that is the hard part about hair turning gray - how do you make the transition if you have been coloring your hair?  It isn't all gray coming in, so I can't just color it gray. 

And then I think, I don't want to be gray.  Then I do.  Then I don't.  And then I think how it has been many years since I took the time to go someplace where I had a color cut and style where I felt...pampered?  I'm so out of touch with that now that I am not sure I could keep myself on schedule.  I'd have an excuse - I can spend that money on something else, it takes too much time, etc.

Is anyone else like this?  I'll post a few pictures shortly, so that you can see how I wore my hair last year, and also a few close ups of the gray so that you can see what I mean.

Laurie the way to let your natural come through is called low lighting (it is best left to professionals). It’s an over all coloring then like highlighting. That’s what I did when I decided I wasn’t coloring anymore. Took me two colorings, two months apart & my cutting my hair short the second time. I still miss my red, but my hair grows so quickly it was not easy to keep up. Ask your stylist. My hair is much healthier without the coloring (& I’ve saved a lot of $$$). Melody

I had been thinking of going gray but the three months I spent without color due to the shut down showed me how awful my hair is without color . It is darker almost black brown with ugly gray . The color gives my hair body so without it it was limp . I go every five weeks and I spend a lot . I tried to color my hair myself and it was not good . 

Laurie...I've had those same thoughts about spending the money. I have a bit of gray coming in but it isn't a lot. There are times when the light hits it just right that I see A LOT of gray but then the light changes and I'm searching for what I saw and I can't quite find it. I worry a bit that the gray will give my hair an overall kind of dull coloring, like washed out in a bad way...but then I wonder if that would be okay with being a more of a low contrast, Soft Natural Earth kind of coloring? So, I've had some coloring done to my hair over the years but it's been very sporadic...like right after I had DS, when he stole my blonde, just like I stole Mom's blonde and my hair was SO DARK. I had it lightened up with a demi-premanent that would wash out eventually, which is all I have ever done. So, I'm not in the coloring my hair boat yet...and I have a dialogue with myself over whether or not I will be.

As for styling, when I found the one stylist in GA, that was the first time in my life that I decided to have my hair cut on a regular basis. DS was going in regularly and we went to the same one. It was fun to do and I felt like she was knowledgeable. But when we moved out to NC, DS was wanting to grow out his style (he had that very trendy longer on top and not shaved sides, but very short sides?) and I was liking my longer hair too...then I thought I would donate my hair, but I couldn't to the charity I wanted because of the coloring I had had (the purple in NC) and so now I'm in limbo land wondering what I'm going to do with my hair, which is sooooo long. 

Whether or not I have a real cut and style, I feel the need to clean up my ends. My hair does still have layers and it feels dry and damaged...I think in part because the ends are so rough. Margaret mentioned a pony tail hair cut or something? It's a method to be able to cut your own hair? I'm going to look that up. My hair is so long it will be no problem to get it to the front to trim it up.

I have a friend in GA who had been coloring her hair. I was always trying to figure out what season she was...but it was hard. When she finally stopped coloring her hair, OMG, her hair was much more gray than natural color and it looked amazing. I think the cooler toned people luck out in that regard. She has bright blue eyes that were so much more striking with the gray. Maybe it's just blue eyed people...

It's funny that we're talking hair because I had this in mind earlier this morning to share. These are my go-to tools for when I wear my hair back or up, which I do a lot these days when I go out. Now that warm weather is here I wear it up somehow almost every day. If you aren't used to growing your hair out and dealing with long bangs, or just need a stopgap until your next salon appointment, I hope these tips help.

The first two clips on the right are great for making a bun in the back when you don't have a lot of hair or aren't practiced at doing one. Since my hair is layered, my bun is rather skimpy all by itself. The first clip on the left is super easy, you just put your hair in a ponytail, twist it around, and clip this on top.  The second one is a bear claw for making a french twist without all the bobby pins. I put mine in when my hair is still a bit damp and it will stay put all day.

20200605_105343_resize_44.jpg.ecc200505b615595da49f6506d020b1b.jpg

Little pony-oh's are good when you just want to pull the front off your face and leave the rest down. I make little ponytails on each side with these. Sometimes I do that and then make a bun or ponytail.

Have a good wide tooth comb for de-tangling, and a regular comb for styling. Even before that I like to finger comb with the conditioner in before rinsing. My ends stay healthier that way.

I keep my face layers back with either the long bobby pins from Karina on the bottom left or the little clips you can by anywhere, the grocery store or Target. Clips stay in place better for me. The longish clips in the middle don't have any grip so they move around the most, but they do capture more hair, so which one I use can depend on how active I will be. I buy brown pony-oh's and clips whenever I can find them because I don't like to wear black if possible. I have a stack of them handy because they won't hold my hair when they get stretched out.

One thing that's missing is a scrunchy that is almost exactly my hair color that I don't have with me. If I want a nicer bun without a clip, I'll put in a ponytail, twist it, pin it, and put the scrunchy around the bun to make it look bigger. It gives it a better proportion on my head, if that makes sense. Another thing that's missing and is really easy is a braided headband that matches my hair. I broke mine so I'm searching for a replacement.

I do have other hair toys but these are the ones I use all the time.

I have a round brush & a rat tail comb, no clips, no bands. I feel deprived. When my hair was long I used the bear claw all the time, I had a beautiful tortoiseshell one...wonder what happened to it

My surgery is Monday morning. Had to go get another COVID test today, the results will be in tomorrow. They’ve really sped up the results!  When I had the test in March it took 10 days for results!  I wonder if the speedy results are because I’m Preop??  I’ll be in the hospital for a couple of days, I’m hoping to have my iPad with me. Melody

59 minutes ago, awhfy said:

COVID results in, negative. Surgery moved to 0700 Monday morning, have to be at hospital by 0500

Good luck with the surgery........will be thinking of you🙂

• Like 1

Good luck, Melody!  Keep us all posted once you are feeling up to it.

So my hair thoughts continue.  I think that at heart, my issue is that I don't want to break up with my hair stylist.  I think I will color my hair this weekend.  Can't beat that cheap box of Loreal that I have...until I figure out what I want to do.  I can say this much though - If I want it to look really good, I need to do it every 5 weeks and leave the hair color on longer because covering gray isn't easy.

Next I'll schedule a haircut, and then I will figure out what is in my future.   While it may not seem a big deal, another issue I have is my hearing loss, and I need someone who isn't uncomfortable with the fact that when I take my hearing aid out, I am completely deaf.  That also means they shouldn't hang up on me the first three times I try to make an appointment using relay.

The salon I currently go to hangs up all the time.  Usually after the first call, maybe two, my hair stylist catches on that it is me and she goes over to grab the phone.  She has a son with a hearing loss so she gets it.  It's a shame, but there are so many scamming calls, some of which use relay, that it can be very hard for me to make phone calls sometimes.

Anyway...I'm looking forward to the gym being able to reopen.  I'm kind of uncomfortable, but we are going to be very diligent with hand sanitizer and trying not to touch our faces and what not.  NY has done an AMAZING job of flattening the curve, and I'm hoping that means we will be back to normal soon.  I think it will be a different kind of normal though.  It was nice to be able to walk into stores (wearing masks) and now outside eating is allowed as long as tables are 6 feet apart.  I'm excited about it.

I forgot to mention that a little while back, I was looking for shirt options for work, the basic pull over shells that you can wear with a sweater or jacket.  I seem to always struggle finding them in earth colors.  Margaret gave me some ideas, and at the time, I didn't see much but I went looking a few days ago because Macy no longer credits back your account when you make a return....the gave me store credit.  So I had some money to use and went looking again.  Here is what I found.

I ordered this in real red, because it is red.  I don't see I need to explain, lol.  I liked it because it can be worn to work, but it would like nice if me and the hubby were going out as well.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/inc-embellished-halter-top-created-for-macys?ID=10504828&cm_mmc=OpsEmail-_-540_split_shipment_notification-_-10504828-_-MB&m_sc=em&m_sb=OpsEmail&m_tp=1C&m_cn=540_split_shipment_notification&m_pi=MB&m_l=10504828&m_s=OES-FIL5401CMCOM060420&cm_lm_mo64=bGF1cnNwYWdAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=

I'm hoping this one will be warm looking enough, and hat the neckline works for me.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-floral-print-pleated-top?ID=10527508&cm_mmc=OpsEmail-_-540_split_shipment_notification-_-10527508-_-MB&m_sc=em&m_sb=OpsEmail&m_tp=1C&m_cn=540_split_shipment_notification&m_pi=MB&m_l=10527508&m_s=OES-FIL5401CMCOM060420&cm_lm_mo64=bGF1cnNwYWdAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=

I tend to shy away from lighter colors on top, but the cream looks decent, and it has some really nice earth colors in it.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-sleeveless-keyhole-blouse?ID=10527480&cm_mmc=OpsEmail-_-540_split_shipment_notification-_-10527480-_-MB&m_sc=em&m_sb=OpsEmail&m_tp=1C&m_cn=540_split_shipment_notification&m_pi=MB&m_l=10527480&m_s=OES-FIL5401CMCOM060420&cm_lm_mo64=bGF1cnNwYWdAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=

I have this already in teal, and it is really nice.  However, it runs big so I ordered this one in a small.  We will see how that works out.  The zipper is gold, and overall, it is a heavier fabric.  the teal one looks nice with dress pants and a nice necklace.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/jm-collection-zipper-trim-3-4-sleeve-top-created-for-macys?ID=10512757&cm_mmc=OpsEmail-_-540_split_shipment_notification-_-10512757-_-MB&m_sc=em&m_sb=OpsEmail&m_tp=1C&m_cn=540_split_shipment_notification&m_pi=MB&m_l=10512757&m_s=OES-FIL5401CMCOM060420&cm_lm_mo64=bGF1cnNwYWdAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=

Everything was on sale, and then I got an additional 20% off.  Two of the items are Calvin Klein, and I really like the quality of the CK items I have had over the years.

• Like 1

Melody, Good luck with the surgery !

Laurie , Maybe you could talk to your hairdresser about texting for appointments . That is how I communicate with my hair dresser . I like those tops especially the brownish one .  My gym opened up but I am waiting awhile before I return . I have gotten very good at making myself exercise at home a lot . Florida has opened up lots of things . We have gone out to eat but we are being cautious until we see how things go.

• Like 1

Best wishes, Melody.  May all go smoothly and quickly.

Laurie-cute tops, I especially like the first one.  I didn’t know that Macy’s is only doing store credit. I won’t order again from them until that policy changes.

I’m so sorry that your hearing loss is often frustrating. Sally’s texting idea might help out.

• Like 1

If I couldn’t text my hairdresser I’d never get hold of her!

thank you all for the well wishes on my surgery, it’s going to be a big one 4 hours for hiatal hernia repair & another 2 hours for the ventral wall hernia; I’m just hoping they can be done at same time, I surely don’t want to do this again!

today would’ve been my Mom’s 113th bday, lost her in 1971  So don’t have a lot of pictures. This one of her with her older sister is a favorite. She looks like a porcelain doll, love the old photos. Melody 

8DA09F32-F276-49C7-8BC5-FC43206DD648.jpeg

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1

Melody...I'll join in the hoping that one surgery can take care of both. Regardless, I hope there are no complications, that the whole thing lines up like dominoes, that the surgeon's hands are divinely guided and that your recovery is swift. Maybe be a weird mix of wanting to communicate or wanting to isolate, but when you can, let us know how it goes.

Laurie...I really like the sleeveless shirts, especially the neckline of the first one. I've been revisiting the Kibbe designations lately, which is going back to the Soft Natural style. It isn't so much about style as it is about silhouettes that "fit" with body shape and characteristics. It kind of confirms what I've stumbled upon with hits and misses. It's not only the deeper necklines that are so flattering, it's the kind of unstructured necklines, like shawl and cowl, etc. Some of my more favorite shirts have had such necklines.

I have not done so well with this COVID situation and have put on a bit of weight. I'm pretty sure that some of it is stress related because of this whole housing situation and a bit about DS and schooling. Anyway...my limited wardrobe has become even more limited because even though I can still wear most of it, technically, now some of the clothes are uncomfortable. I'm really paying attention to what makes me feel good and look good. Also...with the prospect of the move...I'm always interested in NOT moving stuff...and so I'm debating a sort of clean slate, seriously removing those wardrobe items that just aren't doing me any favors.

We've been to two different dine in restaurants now, both were outside seating. I'm not comfortable with the thought of indoor dining yet, and the fact is that I prefer outside dining anyway...even before COVID, when we would discuss going out to eat, I would always want to go to one of the places with the nice outside ambience. 

I've watched several videos now about cutting your own hair. I don't feel like some methods would work as well for me. I have a lot of hair and I can't picture at all being able to cut through a single pony tail...which on me is literally an inch in diameter. That's a lot of hair to cut through! I think I have a bit of an advantage because I've been cutting DH's hair for so long and I have cut the top over the years, not just buzzed his whole head. I'm thinking that I might give it a try today...if I muster up the energy for it. I'm tired today. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 11:43 AM, awhfy said:

My surgery is Monday morning. Had to go get another COVID test today, the results will be in tomorrow. They’ve really sped up the results!  When I had the test in March it took 10 days for results!  I wonder if the speedy results are because I’m Preop??  I’ll be in the hospital for a couple of days, I’m hoping to have my iPad with me. Melody

Wishing you good luck & sending prayers for you, your surgeons & the surgical team!

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 7:07 PM, Sailor_Sally said:

Melody, Good luck with the surgery !

Laurie , Maybe you could talk to your hairdresser about texting for appointments . That is how I communicate with my hair dresser . I like those tops especially the brownish one .  My gym opened up but I am waiting awhile before I return . I have gotten very good at making myself exercise at home a lot . Florida has opened up lots of things . We have gone out to eat but we are being cautious until we see how things go.

Hi Sally, well, phase 2 opened now and food can be served at bars in the various restaurants that offer it!  I will definitely be going out for dinner🙂

Maybe not tonight because the weather sucks........but at least I know restaurants

are serving meals at their bars.

Well, surgery done (0730-1530). 8 hours actually under anesthesia. They were able to do both hernias!!!  Very happy & very, very sore. Just had meds so nighty night!  Melody

• Like 3