Clothing for thermal suite, heated loungers

auntjoy036

I'm looking forward to trying the heated loungers in the Volendam's thermal suite for the first time this summer. I do not anticipate using any of the water features in the spa, so do not plan to wear a swimsuit. What would be appropriate to wear to use the heated loungers? Yoga pants and a knit shirt? Underpinnings and a robe? I'm sorry if this is a silly question. I seldom go to the spa and have never been in a facility like this. I don't know what is customary. Thanks.

Vicki

You might find the yoga pants a little too thick to let the heat do its job on your back and muscles.

Do you have something lighter weight? Such as a cotton dress, cotton shorts/slacks and a light weight top, something like that?

But if what you suggest isn't too heavy, it would work.

When I use the loungers but don't intend to use the T-pool, I wear a cotton muumuu. That way I get the full benefit of the heat.

Underwear and your thick terry robe is just fine if you are just using the heated loungers, either from your cabin that you can wear up to the thermal spa, or the one you get in your special key locker when you check into spa desk.

Put an offered towel down over the lounger and you will be comfortable just in the robe. You can shower later in the locker room or in the aroma showers in the lounger room if you want, and then pop your robe back on for the trip back to your cabin.

There are some objections to wearing bathrobes around the ship, but they are not much different from any other sort of beach or pool cover-up. And one sees them coming into the Neptune Lounge to have a light breakfast on mainly international passengers which is a bit over the top, but it happens. I would plan on wearing the robe only to go to and fro from the cabin to lounge and not stop for anything else along the way. Is wearing a robe like wearing pajamas in public or is it really like wearing a robe around a swimming pool? Unsettled.

Edited by OlsSalt

Underwear and your thick terry robe is just fine if you are just using the heated loungers, either from your cabin that you can wear up to the thermal spa, or the one you get in your special key locker when you check into spa desk.

Put an offered towel down over the lounger and you will be comfortable just in the robe. You can shower later in the locker room or in the aroma showers in the lounger room if you want, and then pop your robe back on for the trip back to your cabin.

There are some objections to wearing bathrobes around the ship, but they are not much different from any other sort of beach or pool cover-up. And one sees them coming into the Neptune Lounge to have a light breakfast on mainly international passengers which is a bit over the top, but it happens. I would plan on wearing the robe only to go to and fro from the cabin to lounge and not stop for anything else along the way. Is wearing a robe like wearing pajamas in public or is it really like wearing a robe around a swimming pool? Unsettled.

It's like wearing pj's in public.

Is wearing a robe like wearing pajamas in public?

Yes.

To suggest wearing a robe, with only undies on underneath, is suggesting doing something that should only be done in the privacy of one's own quarters.

Edited by RuthC

I usually avoid such controversial issues on the forum but I'd like to make a comment on a recent observation. I was at a high end hotel in the Rocky Mountains a few weeks ago, for the weekend, and saw several people, multiple times, walking through the shopping area, in the elevators, through the lobby, wearing their bathrobes. A pool happened to be on the floor on which we were staying and the spa was located in the "lower" level of the hotel. Of course, because of reading other posts here about it, I commented to my friend that this practice would be frowned upon on a ship.

I never really noticed it before on a cruise (except when someone wore a too small bathrobe in the Lido) until reading about it here. I believe that I tend to agree with Ruth and cruz chic since I really noticed it in a hotel setting.

At least on the Maasdam where we used the thermal suite, there was a small changing room and locker which included a robe so no need to wander the halls in one. I always put a towel on the lounger and laid on it in my bathing suit so there was some level of thickness between me and the surface but I felt the heat just fine.

At least on the Maasdam where we used the thermal suite, there was a small changing room and locker which included a robe so no need to wander the halls in one.

Robes belong in the stateroom or within the confines of the spa; not in the Neptune lounge or in the passageway on the way to the pool or wherever. Nice cover-ups and tops YES, robes NO. Next cruise is Eastern Med....:(. So give up not seeing the robes everywhere I guess. I'll be seen in my Speedo at the aft pool, but not on the way there. :)

Dennis

Hi everyone. Your replies are helpful and remarkably kind considering the pot I unintentionally stirred. I left a word out of my original post that might have spared some angst. I never intended to go anywhere in a wrap-and-tie bathrobe. I was considering my "beach" robe, which some people would call a cover up. It's an opaque blue cotton knit, knee length, short sleeve garment that would pass as a dress but for the zipper up the front. No wraps, no gaps. I'll mull it over and select something appropriate for hallway wear or as someone suggested change once I get to the spa. Thanks all.

Vicki

I wear my swimsuit and maybe the robe over that or other cover-up, depending on where else I might be going or if I plan to shower there or head to the pool or hot tub.....

I would not go to the thermal suite in undies and a robe.....ewwww. Or anywhere on a ship or in a hotel or anywhere, anytime, unless evacuating for a fire and even then maybe not!

To me the robe is for wearing on the ship, including to the pool or hot tub from where I'll be coming back wet. Or I could take off the robe and just wear my swim suit of tankini top and shorts... more dressed than some people I've seen. But then I'd get cold in the air conditioning.

Sorry the robes offend some, I guess we're not all the same and will have to agree to disagree. m--

I usually wear swim wear, but a perfectly acceptable alternative would be gym wear (provided, of course, that you haven't worked out in them first!).

Gym shorts and a t shirt will cover what needs to be covered, while still allowing plenty of heat transfer to tired muscles!

Thermal Suite access includes a locker in the spa change room, with a robe and spa shoes included.