Diamonds International

islegroove

Don't like it.

I like the fact that Bermuda does not have chains such as fast food chains.

I don't want it to let what has happened to the Caribbean happen to them.

Keith

COMPLETELY agree on both points.

I feel sorry for Crissons, E.R. Aubrey, A.S. Cooper Vera Card and all the other jewelry stores having to compete with sleazy DI.

I have at least one piece of jewelry from all the above local stores and have never, and will never set foot in a DI.

Don't like it.

I like the fact that Bermuda does not have chains such as fast food chains.

I don't want it to let what has happened to the Caribbean happen to them.

Keith

I agree...but they actually do have one fast food chain restaurant, a KFC, in Hamilton.

COMPLETELY agree on both points.

I feel sorry for Crissons, E.R. Aubrey, A.S. Cooper Vera Card and all the other jewelry stores having to compete with sleazy DI.

I have at least one piece of jewelry from all the above local stores and have never, and will never set foot in a DI.

I feel sorry for the local stores too. In Alaska, Diamonds International and other chains of the same ilk have pushed out most of the local stores at the ports.

Edited by Charles4515

That is sad. It made me nauseous in Alaska to see Diamonds International at all the ports.

I agree. If you are at an Alaska port in say August it has the look of being in the Caribbean in their season.

And it's the same people who work at those stores who go between Alaska an then over to the Caribbean when the Alaska season when it is over.

When we were in Bermuda last year I remarked to my guide that it is nice that to add a hotel they have to take down a like number of rooms. He said I was right it used to be like that but no longer. Just like it used to be only two ships there at one time and none on the weekends. And there used to be a height limit to buildings in downtown Hamilton but some have gotten variances for that soon. He said that when they took the hit in 2008 from the economic turndown things didn't bounce back there the way it did in other places so that some restrictions have changed in order to create more tourism and jobs. I hope too much change doesn't take place there.

Too many nice memories starting with our honeymoon there almost 39 (ouch) years ago.

Keith

I agree. If you are at an Alaska port in say August it has the look of being in the Caribbean in their season.

And it's the same people who work at those stores who go between Alaska an then over to the Caribbean when the Alaska season when it is over.

When we were in Bermuda last year I remarked to my guide that it is nice that to add a hotel they have to take down a like number of rooms. He said I was right it used to be like that but no longer. Just like it used to be only two ships there at one time and none on the weekends. And there used to be a height limit to buildings in downtown Hamilton but some have gotten variances for that soon. He said that when they took the hit in 2008 from the economic turndown things didn't bounce back there the way it did in other places so that some restrictions have changed in order to create more tourism and jobs. I hope too much change doesn't take place there.

Too many nice memories starting with our honeymoon there almost 39 (ouch) years ago.

Keith

I saw the same people standing in front of their Alaska store as it seems to be I've seen standing in front of their St. Thomas store. When we walked by, someone said "See you in the Caribbean this winter" and they laughed.

I hope the powers that be, don't think having a DI would increase tourism. Are there people who go to a place based in having a DI? What could be their motivation with breaking tradition and allowing a chain? Wonder if the local stores are complaining in any way?

Sooo, what could Bermuda be getting in return?

I saw the same people standing in front of their Alaska store as it seems to be I've seen standing in front of their St. Thomas store. When we walked by, someone said "See you in the Caribbean this winter" and they laughed.

I believe it. It just amazes me how these types of stores are in so many places. then I think the profit has to be so big to have stores open say in Alaska from only May until September and then closed the rest of the year and then have workers who go between Alaska and the Caribbean.

Keith

There was an announcement by Dockyard management that a new jewelry store would be opening there this year, but the name of the store was not mentioned. Could it be DI?

Interesting that they don't name the store. Maybe they are trying to keep it secret from local Bermudians until it is a fait accompli.

Edited by Charles4515

Interesting that they don't name the store. Maybe they are trying to keep it secret from local Bermudians until it is a fait accompli.

Kind of hard to do if, as the friend in Bermuda says, they can't operate as a franchise and a local would have to own their own store.

Wonder where Islegrove got their information and also wonder if JollyJones knows anything?

Edited by iheartbda

• 1 month later...

Just my opinion, but I don't go on vacation to shop for jewelry. I have bought cheaper necklaces and earrings while in the Caribbean, but we were very disappointed with the shopping in St. Thomas. Why on earth do they need that many jewelry stores!! I prefer quaint little shops like in Cape May NJ rather than jewelry stores