Alska - multi-generation & 2 years old

bostonwa

Hi

We are planning a multi-generation Alaska cruise this summer. We will have four children in the group (2-7). I want to make sure that we will get to see Glaicer Bay and therefore that limited a number of cruiseline.

We finally landed on Crown Princess based on the cruiseline's itineray and reputation. But I am very concerned if the cruiseline is good enough especially since we will have little kids that won't be able to be dropped off at the youth program and all the way up to older grandparents.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. If you think princess is a bad idea especially with young kids and older grandparents, please free to suggest other cruiseline that will work better.

We are foodies though, so having good food will make the trip a lot more enjoyable for us too.

Hopefully this question is not too vague/general.

Greatly appreciate your help!

p.s. I have posted this on the general board and was recommended to post here too. Thank you for the insight in advance!

Princess is similar to other mass market cruise lines. Have you cruised before and if so on which cruise lines. Food has gone downhill on Princess over the past few years. You say you are foodies so I think you will be disappointed in that aspect. The service is exceptional in the dining room which is half the enjoyment.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Princess is similar to other mass market cruise lines. Have you cruised before and if so on which cruise lines. Food has gone downhill on Princess over the past few years. You say you are foodies so I think you will be disappointed in that aspect. The service is exceptional in the dining room which is half the enjoyment.

Speak for yourself! We still find the food excellent. :)

We cruised Alaska on the Crown last July. My wife and I, our grown kids, their spouses (mid 30's) and our 3 grandchildren ages 7 months to 6 years.

All had a great time. Our grandkids didn't want to get off the ship.

Highly recommended.

Cheers.

We cruised Alaska on the Crown last July. My wife and I, our grown kids, their spouses (mid 30's) and our 3 grandchildren ages 7 months to 6 years.

All had a great time. Our grandkids didn't want to get off the ship.

Highly recommended.

Cheers.

Bemidji Ty: That's great to know!!! Did you do shore excursions? Can you share with me which ones you did and were all the kids (even the little ones) able to participate?

Thank you!

Any children from age 3 and up can go to the kids club. Our granddaughter, 4 at the time loved the Pelican's Kid Club. She wanted to hang out there all the time. The parents at that time received a pager if any problem occurred so they could be contacted. The Princess employees running the kids club were wonderful. Also, the food on Princess is great, but I love the desserts even more! Have a great Alaskan cruise,

Juneau - We walked off the ship and took the Mt Roberts Tram to the top. We walked around the visitor's center and ate there. Then, we rode down and walked to the Red Dog Saloon.

Skagway - We took the ship's excursion on the White Pass RR. It was wonderful. Our boys are into trains big time. The guy standing next to me on the platform taking pictures won a free cruise from Princess with his photo. I took essentially the same picture, but never thought of entering it.

Ketchikan - We walked into town, toured a National Visitor's Center, ate and drank.

Glacier Bay - Up early to see the wildlife and glaciers calving. Amazing. Everybody got into it.

Vancouver - we were only there for a short time in the evening. Our kids got off the ship with their kids and walked around. We stayed on the ship and relaxed.

Our 6 year old loved the Princess Pelicans. Our 3 year old liked being with us. All grandkids dressed up on formal nights. Our 3 year old commented, "I'm a stud." Our 7 month old is a happy girl. She would easily go to other cruisers and got to know many of them. We would frequently hear, "There's my Smiley Riley." The boys wanted to know if we all "lived on a cruise hip now?" They didn't want to disembark and are ready to go again - anytime, anywhere.

Our boys were given small binoculars we purchased on Amazon. They were sent to their homes about a month before the cruise and they practiced using them. They so enjoyed just watching the sea, wildlife and glaciers.

Cheers

Our boys were given small binoculars we purchased on Amazon. They were sent to their homes about a month before the cruise and they practiced using them. They so enjoyed just watching the sea, wildlife and glaciers.

Yes, the binoculars. Made also our grandkids enjoy more the sightseeing.

We didn't bring one but glad we decided to buy one at the ship's boutique.

I think you will be pleased with Princess. We think the food is very good to excellent most of the time, the wait staff love seeing kids, there are shore excursions geared for families - but my advice with Alaska is definitely do shore excursions, plan carefully meaning take a very good look at all Princess has to offer in that regard, and really get out of town whether it is taking the railway out of Skagway, or whale watching in Auke Bay from Juneau. In Ketchikan, if you can fit in an excursion that takes you out of town, as well as doing the Lumberjack show, that would be great.

The excursions can eat up a great deal of the cruise budget for Alaska, but it is so worth it, IMHO.

I have no idea what the financial arrangements with your family group are, but DH and I were fortunate enough to be able to treat our family this past summer, to 2 weeks cruising Alaska on Princess. We gave each person a budget/$$ limit for their shore excursions each week, and also told them we were doing one as an entire family and that wasn't something they had to include in their budget, it was additionally on us. We took a flightseeing tour and flew into a lodge for a salmon bake out of Juneau - it was fantastic. It is something the whole family might enjoy if they are ok with float planes. Our family loved it. One of the highlights, as you will fly over the Juneau glacier field and see the glaciers from the sky. Also, there are excursions to dog sled summer camps out of Juneau and Skagway which the kids will probably enjoy if they love animals. There are lots of other great things to do as well.

If you take a look at the excursions and want feedback on specific ones, just post on the boards - you are sure to get plenty of info.

BonVoyage - it is one you will remember for a very long time.

Does Disney do cruises to Alaska? They may be the most "family friendly".

They do not go to Glacier Bay and have a pretty poor itinerary.

On Princess, the 2 year old will need to be with you. I think kids need to be 3 to be part of the kids program.

Edited by Coral

We've never cruised to Alaska, but we've cruise with our kids lots of times and they love it (they are currently 4 and 8). They also refuse to use the kids club and they still love it. I might love it more if they would go to kids club once in awhile and let me lay down and relax for a minute though! ;) I find Princess to be very family friendly.

I would suggest finding things for the littles to do during meal times though. If you are foodies you are not going to want to stick to the buffet and the meals are long for little kids. I usually pack a treasure bag and have something in there for them each night to entertain them at dinner. Mostly stuff purchased at the dollar store - nothing fancy. And, frankly, after awhile we pull out the tablets and let them watch. I can probably skip it this year, they are old enough that they can talk to us. I also bought a conversation deck though that is cards with questions of them to start conversations. You can get them for kids. It was a way of finding topics they would like to discuss. They never have problems at restaurants at home, but those cruise dinners can be two hours! That's a lot of ask of a little kid. Especially when you want to respect your fellow ship mates and not let them running screaming around the dining room! lol

I think I got off topic... ;)

We all enjoyed the on-ship Iditerod sled dog race winner who brought one of her dogs on board.

Cheers

We enjoy that as well when we are back on board in time to see her. Sometimes she is scheduled in the middle of port time, rather than near the end of it. It is kind of the luck of the draw in terms of what shore excursions you choose, when you are back on board, and when they have Libby Riddles scheduled to speak.

You all are amazing! Thank you so much for so generously sharing your experience and thoughts.

Yes, looks like my 2 year old will have to be with us and that frankly is the 'biggest concern' I have. I am sure he will have fun either way and will just have to work it out with the families to see if we can take turn having some adult only time. :) I just hope he will be ok to see the older kids going off on their own and him being left behind... though I think for Princess, he can be in the playroom with them, one of the adults will just to be with him.

Binoculars! I would have never thought! That is such an awesome idea. Will get on with that for the kids. They are going to be so excited.

Thank you for the suggestion on the excursions. I too would love to do something with the dog sledding, whale watching, train, and look into the ones suggested in this thread that I didn't even know about. What the 2 year old and his 3 year old cousin are capable to sit still for are probably going to be the decision factor... I have read the trains would be cool but then I have read people's concern with taking little kids on a long train ride.... so, still debating on that one.

Please keep your suggestions/comments coming! The replies definitely help me feel more confident on our decision to take Princess and confirmed some of my ‘concerns’ and just need to look for ways to manage. Guess one can’t have it all. :p

I always recommend that each and every person have their own binoculars - excellent ones - on this cruise. Of course, the 2 year old may be a different story. Also, cozy gloves, hat or scarf, sunblock....it is cold on the water and close to the glacier faces, but can be very sunny. Packing....layers, layers, layers.

I am sure that there will volunteers (especially the grandparents) to spend time with the 2 year old so mom and dad can have some adult time.

About dining, with little ones, I don't know what your port times are on this cruise. Take a look at how late you are scheduled to be in port in the evening, if at all. If you have some later departures, 6 p.m. and onward, I really suggest anytime dining for your group. Then you don't have to rush back to make an early seating time for dinner. That being said, with the "gang" you have (and of course not everyone has to dine together each evening), you should be able to get a table for yourselves in anytime dining in the evening. Hence, your waiters should be able to control the pace of the dinner for you - making it a shorter duration than if you were sharing a table with strangers. Also, they will bring the kids their food pretty promptly. If the kids get restless, remember it doesn't always have to be mom who sacrifices her fun to take them elsewhere and entertain them. Also, mom and dad can tuck the little ones in, and return later to the anytime dining room (before closing) for a cozy table for 2 and dessert and coffee if they wish. Bet Grandma would be happy to sit with the littles for 45 min or so.

I don't know how the number of people and staterooms are stacking up for the group, but have you considered bringing along a designated "nanny-babysitter" for the group? Just a thought.

You can go to the ports section on princess.com and follow the prompts through to Alaska and the three ports you will visit. The shore excursions will be available to browse through there. If you have difficulty finding there, just ask here for more detail. Lots of people will be happy to help you.

The more I research on this using the tips you all shared, the more I am excited about the trip :D

I think dog sledding is likely going to be a bit much for the family and I don't think the little ones will appreciate as much / remember to have the $$$$ worth it.. so just have to save that for another time we return to Alaska. :)

Right now, planning on Whale watch in Juneau and the tram of course.

Skagway - rail trip and probably one of those with one way by train one way by bus.

Ketchikan - Very likely going to do the lumberjack show.

These are all tentative but I think/hope it will work!

Now if anyone have any good suggestions for Alaskan Salmon and King crab then I might be able to take a little break on the planning. :)

Thank you all for the inspiration!

Salmon - yup, the best ever was on the flightseeing and salmon bake out of Juneau, when we flew over the ice field and landed on the water by the lodge. It is a Princess excursion. There is another alternative, in Juneau, which is frequently an option when combined with the whale watching - Princess does a salmon bake outdoors. On a rainy day it is a bust, and frankly, it just is not that impressive IMHO, but it is an option. Oh, and there is a threesome - whale watching, the Mendenhall glacier and the salmon thing.

Dungeness (rather than king) crab - amazing in Ketchikan. You can find a Dungeness crab feast coupled with a rainforest walk/hike, or a crabbing experience, or flightseeing to George Inlet lodge for the feast. Several ways to get there - outstanding Dungeness crab. I grew up with blue crab from the Chesapeake Bay, I know my crab, and Dungeness wins hands down for me.

These are all probably a bit of a challenge with a 2 year old, but still doable.

The best shore excursion we took in Alaska was the float plane. You get to see a lot of the interior and they land in a lake where you can see bears drinking on the shore. What boy wouldn't like to fly in a small plane. Usually only 6 passengers. We booked with an independent tour company which was considerably less money then a ship excursion. There are several tours so just goggle it if you are interested.

Edited by cruzsnooze
typo

I can offer some experience with small children on excursions in Alaska. My first trip was with my first husband's family. Our children were 2, 5, and 8 at the time. Their cousins were 9 months, 3.5 and 6.5 years old.

We took the round trip train with all children except my 8 year old, who went kayaking with his dad that day instead. The 9 month old was the hardest to deal with on that trip, since he was old enough to be mobile (crawling, standing, cruising) but not old enough to be easily entertained. The other children weren't a problem. They played together and kept themselves amused. I think we flipped one seat to give them a set of 2 facing seats to sit and play between. They like being on a train, but couldn't have cared less about the scenery or history. Honestly, I could probably have left them in the kids club (we were on Carnival, so the 2 year old could go too) and they would have been just as happy.

We also went whale watching with just our 3 kids. (The rest of the group did something else.) Our 8 year old was obsessed with whales at the time, and seeing his joy made the whole trip worthwhile. The 5 year old liked being on a boat, and would look at the whales when they surfaced, but otherwise required a lot of attention. The 2 year old didn't "get" the whale thing and insisted on being held the entire time. We probably would not have chosen this excursion if not for our 8 year old's insistence on seeing whales.

These excursions CAN be done successfully with small children if you really want to do them and are fully aware that you may spend a lot of energy entertaining them. If you are looking for excursions that 2-3 year old will actually enjoy, these probably are not good choices.

We have done a multi-generational cruise twice to Alaska. They were both great. The first time our family was 14 strong (children ages 2-11), the 2nd time we were 19 strong (children ages 3-17).

One of the things we really enjoyed in Skagway was renting minivans and driving up to Emerald Lake. I don't think the train goes that far. We could stop when we wanted (lots of bear sightings and other wildlife along the way) take lots of pictures, stretch our legs, stop for ice cream cones etc. I honestly don't remember where we ate lunch. Its fun to stop and take a picture standing in front of the "You are entering the Yukon". Our family enjoyed this road trip so much. You can buy Murray Lundberg's guide for Highway 98. It cost $5 and you can download it. It was well worth the $ in our opinion. It's about a 70 mile trip each way I think. We did a little hiking, a little eating and a lot of laughing & picture taking of the majestic views & countryside. The car rental was a lot cheaper than many of the other excursions in Skagway.

I know your trip will be memorable no matter what you decide to do.