Why 5:30 dining?

If I'm not mistaken, you can still show up at 6 or 6:15 and get served no problem. It's not like there's going to be a bunch of my-time diners coming in early who will take your table. If so, this accommodates everybody except perhaps the staff who lose a half-hour to do the things they need to do.

This is extremely rude and inconsiderate of staff. AND OTHER CRUISERS who are served by that staff.

+ 1,000,000,000 :mad:

Bob, what is the advantage to Royal to have everyone to go to My Time Dining? I would think that the two traditional seatings would be more manageable rather than people coming and going at different times all evening.
With only two traditional seatings, the MDR had to have a seat for at least 50% of the Maximum Passenger (approximately 114% of Double Occupancy) load. If they go to only MTD (aka Dynamic Dining on Q-class), they have to have seat capacity of about 35% of Max Passenger load (some seats turned 3 times, passengers going to pay restaurants not using a MDR seat, etc).

Bob, what is the advantage to Royal to have everyone to go to My Time Dining? I would think that the two traditional seatings would be more manageable rather than people coming and going at different times all evening.

I agree that tradititional is the easiest for all involved. It's worked on cruise ships for years. However, as time goes on, it seems that fewer people want to be tied to a specific time. I'm sure Royal got a lot of feedback before starting My Time a few years ago, and they have attempted to make both types work.

The downside I see now is that many tables in traditional go unused, These are tables that cannot be used by My Time, so the staff cannot use them to reduce the My Time lines.

Of course, I always attibute an ulterior motive. I think they would like to adopt the NCL setup. Now, I've never been on NCL, but I read their forums and reviews. It seems they have little incentive to reduce lines or improve the quality of food in the free dining rooms. The more waiting time, the more likely people will opt for extra cost specialty restaurants.

Edited by clarea

If I'm not mistaken, you can still show up at 6 or 6:15 and get served no problem. It's not like there's going to be a bunch of my-time diners coming in early who will take your table. If so, this accommodates everybody except perhaps the staff who lose a half-hour to do the things they need to do.

If you're going to do this, then it sounds like My Time would be the better choice for you.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

I totally agree that 5:30pm is too early.

I don't know why they seem to be moving to 5:30pm dining. It used be be only Port Canaveral and Galveston, but now it's spread to Port Everglades and Tampa. Maybe it helps My Time, or it's some plot to get us all to abandon traditional dining.

I agree with the plot...

It's an interesting topic - funny that as much as they try and push MTD, they still only dedicate 33% of the MDR real estate to MTD (at least on Freedom & Oasis).

Also wondering if the later port times could play at all into the traditional timing? For example, last week on Allure, all aboard @ St. Thomas wasn't until 6:30. If someone has the 5:30 traditional, what happens to them that night? Is their only recourse an upscale dinner or Windjammer for that day?

Oh gosh no, how rude and inconsiderate of everyone....your table mates and your wait staff.

It is one thing to arrive a few minutes late (less than 15) but to arrive 30-45 minutes late -- no. Then when you are rushed, you will feel that the wait staff was not being very nice.

We will be on Freedom out of FLL in Nov. Although we can't right now reserve early seating, I am sure it will become available -- it always opens up closer to sailing. We prefer 6pm, but don't want MyTimeDining -- we will manage!!! Typically at home we eat at 5pm.....so this will just cut into our cocktail hour up in the DL -- a few less, will make more room for dinner.

Edited by Paulette3028

I don't know why they seem to be moving to 5:30pm dining. It used be be only Port Canaveral and Galveston, but now it's spread to Port Everglades and Tampa. Maybe it helps My Time, or it's some plot to get us all to abandon traditional dining.

I disagree with you, good sir.

The wife and I always do My Time Dining, and make reservations for 5:30 each night. This time works for us, as the dining room is hardly ever crowded, and, when we get hungry later, plenty of time to snack, with out long lines.

-Michael

I love my 830pm but for the freedom they have it at 8pm. To be honest 30 minutes earlier is ok with me to eat but what I really don't like is the fact that I have to be there 30 minutes earlier than usual. I was this close to do my time sinning but I'm reading that my time is getting a little bit crazy on the freedom so I rather stay with traditional. Ohh and the shows are before dinning which I think we will miss a lot of them. Years ago were usually after dinner

We actually like the 5:30pm dining time. We are early risers and breakfast around 5-6 and lunch no later than noon, more like 11:30, dinner at 5:30 is good. I make myself stay awake for "love & marriage" and "quest" because I enjoy them but if it wasn't for those I'm in bed by 10pm, dinner to late is like a huge bedtime snack.

They lie when you ask the question.

"Oh, it's what the demographics of this cruise/ship demand."

BS.

No earthly reason.

Just "because".

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is what I was told also. I agree with Carol..... BS. 😬

I disagree with you, good sir.

The wife and I always do My Time Dining, and make reservations for 5:30 each night. This time works for us, as the dining room is hardly ever crowded, and, when we get hungry later, plenty of time to snack, with out long lines.

-Michael

I believe you will find that the main complaint of this thread is that Traditional Dining is being set at 5:30 on some ships and people are saying that is too early. They would like it to go back to 6 and 8:30.

Since we also do MTD, our experience has been that MTD has always started at 5:30 which is our preferred time as well.

Edited by cruisenfever

Most people will agree that it's rude but I don't agree. Let's see it from another angle, how about if you get there at 6pm sharp you and your partner are the first one seating in a table of 2 nobody else from other table are in their seat ( maybe 2-3 mins behind). You are ready to order because you know the menu but you need to wait for everybody else in the tables next to you. Finally, the waiter ask for what you want but you don't ask for appetizer but you need to wait for everybody else to eat their before your entree comes. That's extremely rude making you that long when you don't need appetizer. My friend get there 15 mins late if you want, you won't be the only one believe me.

Most people will agree that it's rude but I don't agree. Let's see it from another angle, how about if you get there at 6pm sharp you and your partner are the first one seating in a table of 2 nobody else from other table are in their seat ( maybe 2-3 mins behind). You are ready to order because you know the menu but you need to wait for everybody else in the tables next to you. Finally, the waiter ask for what you want but you don't ask for appetizer but you need to wait for everybody else to eat their before your entree comes. That's extremely rude making you that long when you don't need appetizer. My friend get there 15 mins late if you want, you won't be the only one believe me.

We've never had to wait extra time for our entrees when we skip appetizers.

I think they changed it from 6pm to 5:30pm a few years ago to allow more time between seatings. We always choose early seating because we like all the evening ship activities. With late seating, which we did do a few times, we found ourselves missing too much.

If someone doesn't want to eat at either 5:30 or 8:00, then they should choose MTD. Wait staff are so stressed that having them go back to the kitchen for soup while the rest at due their entrees isn't fair to anyone. Their system is to pick up all the plates for the same course for all their passengers at the same time.

We did a Pacific US Canada Costal Cruise on the Jewel 18 September 2015 and had 5:30 traditional dining in the MDR. We always have early traditional but the 5:30 time was a first for us.

Edited by davekathy

We did a Pacific US Canada Costal Cruise on the Jewel 18 September 2015 and had 5:30 traditional dining in the MDR. We always have early traditional but the 5:30 time was a first for us.

I appreciate that you told us that having a 5:30pm early traditional dinner seating on this cruise was a first for you. So now tell us how it impacted (positive or negatively) your day or evening, please.

I agree this is rude to the staff and the others at your table. If you want to do this sign up for my time dining.

I appreciate that you told us that having a 5:30pm early traditional dinner seating on this cruise was a first for you. So now tell us how it impacted (positive or negatively) your day or evening, please.

It didn't. We always schedule our day/evening around our assigned dining times. My post was just to let Bob know we had a 5:30 dining time on the Jewel. Why?

I agree that tradititional is the easiest for all involved. It's worked on cruise ships for years. However, as time goes on, it seems that fewer people want to be tied to a specific time. I'm sure Royal got a lot of feedback before starting My Time a few years ago, and they have attempted to make both types work.

The downside I see now is that many tables in traditional go unused, These are tables that cannot be used by My Time, so the staff cannot use them to reduce the My Time lines.

Of course, I always attibute an ulterior motive. I think they would like to adopt the NCL setup. Now, I've never been on NCL, but I read their forums and reviews. It seems they have little incentive to reduce lines or improve the quality of food in the free dining rooms. The more waiting time, the more likely people will opt for extra cost specialty restaurants.

On another Cruise line, MTDiners thought they could go anytime with no reservations, thus the long lines. Some Traditional Diners would not show up EVER or thought they could do MTD. We have gone back to Traditional Dining as this was the only cruise I have found myself in a line with MTD. Calling for reservations would say: we have 5:30 or 8:30 & I am Platinum.The whole Anytime Dining thing has caused the mess because many cruisers do not know how it works or choose to do what they wish!

Just Sayin'

BL

I agree this is rude to the staff and the others at your table. If you want to do this sign up for my time dining.

...and others at ajancent tables the wait staff waits on. It does throw the wait staffs tempo off.

Edited by davekathy

I think they changed it from 6pm to 5:30pm a few years ago to allow more time between seatings. We always choose early seating because we like all the evening ship activities. With late seating, which we did do a few times, we found ourselves missing too much.

That's not the case. Late seating is also moved up 1/2 and hr