Traveling with medications

We are traveling by air and the cruise. I am on a significant amount of medications. (Around 20). I got a printout from the pharmacy on the medications I have refilled in the last 60 days.

I was talking to my son and he said that I may have to provide the actual prescription bottles for each medication.

Does anyone know for sure I need to bring all the bottles for either air travel or cruise travel??

If I do I will practically need a full carry on for all of them.

Thanks

I have a fair amount of prescriptions I take (but less than you) and I have always been told I had to have the bottle for each. Sometimes I take them, sometimes I don't. I don't plan to on my cruise next week. I did, however, take them on a trip a few months ago and I'm glad I did. I lost my drivers license and having those pill bottles with my name on them was very helpful. I know that's not why you asked, and that's not why you should have them, but TSA will ask...

I have never had my medication searched (that I know of). I always bring a few days extra just in case. I would think that your list would be fine, but I don't know for certain that that's true or not.

This is not necessary for the cruise line.

If you fly the TSA does recommend brining the medicine in original containers.

Again, not required but a recommendation.

You could see if the pharmacy can give you small bottles to place each of the medicine in.

You want to keep them in your carry on.

Keith

Better safe than sorry.

I called my doctors office and they said for flying I should bring the bottles. They said that some of the medications I am on are considered controlled substances. More than likely they would not need to verify but if they do you want to be prepared.

I don't want to run into issues at security but yikes that is just more stuff to pack.

Just want to add if you go to the TSA web site it recommends as I mentioned that you bring the medication in the original bottles. Just makes it easier if they stop you and with 20 different prescriptions I think that makes you more likely to get stopped.

Keith

I am a transplant recipient (7 years ago) and travel/cruise all the time. I never bring the original med bottles except my only liquid (Nystatin)--which always gets looked and and scrubbed at the airport TSA security pass thru. I take 15 or so pills 4 times a day (different meds at different times so a total of about 50 or so different meds). I use a weekly pill organizer with 4 big areas per day.

I ALWAYS keep it in my carry on back pack (for safety) and I carry a written list of drug names and daily does in the event I end up at some medial facility w./out my meds (foreign or rural hospital for example).

I have never been stopped or questioned about any of the meds except the aforementioned Liquid Nystatin at the airport security area. Sometimes I need to carry controlled substances (oxycodone for example-- those I do bring along in the prescription bottle just in case--but again I have never been questioned).

I have found a cruise to be one of the easiest vacations to manage my med schedule and never had had any issue at all taking meds on board.

So from my perspective-- 60 meds is easy peasy especially on a cruise ship.

Several years ago I took a TA cruise from Italy to the US. I took some narcotic pain killers with me from a recent surgery to help me sleep on the flight to Rome. When the cruise ended I retrieved my suitcase in the terminal and I was ushered to Customs "naughty room." If the pills had not been in the original prescription bottle with my name on it I suspect I would have had some lengthy explaining to do. But since they were all I had to say was "they are for personal use" and I was on my way.

I only take 9 meds, but the size of some of the bottles makes taking them a hassle. If the printout from the pharmacy contains the same information as the labels -- name, drug, dosage, doctor, etc -- then I would think the printout is sufficient should any questions arise.

I only take 9 meds, but the size of some of the bottles makes taking them a hassle. If the printout from the pharmacy contains the same information as the labels -- name, drug, dosage, doctor, etc -- then I would think the printout is sufficient should any questions arise.

Ask your pharmacy to give you smaller bottles, labeled for each prescription. Some of my meds I get 3 months at a time, and those bottles are huge. For a 7 day cruise, I certainly don't need all of them. So I just get the smallest size bottles for each prescription, and take those.

Your pharmacist will give you small bottles. I promise. And they won't charge you for this. :)

Keith

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This countries prisons are not full of people who failed to take their prescriptions in the original bottles. The TSA could care less if your medications are in a daily organizer or not. They are not looking for narcotics. It is their job to search for explosives, firearms, or any other weapon that could be a danger to the aircraft or flight crew. More and more people are using mail order pharmacies and get their medication in bottles with a 90 day supply. Who's going to carry around a big bottle like that. You can't get a smaller bottle from your local Walgreens because you didn't get it filled there. Just use a pill organizer and carry around a list of the prescriptions if you like. Now if your going to another country, like somewhere in the Middle East or Asia, that's a different story. Get that info from the state department or foreign ministers office from the country your going to. Many over the counter meds that are legal here, are not legal to have elsewhere. Don't rely on somebody on CC who had a friend, who's brother-in-law had a cousin, who's mom had a problem, because he called a TSA agent a jerk, and got a cavity search.

Edited by ATC cruiser

I hit this problem a while ago as we have to carry insulin pump supplies, spare test kit spare pump for my daughter, 10 diff meds for me - 2 things

- nearly all arlines allow a extra carry on for large bulky meds - as long as that is all that goes in the extra bag.

- You may be able to get your meds in boxes from the pharmacy that is what I now get. so I just fold the boxes flat and put them and meds in a zip loc bag - if I am stopped I will just reconstruct each box and put the corresponding meds in.

Pharmacist here! A printout from the pharmacy doesn't hurt, and we can indeed provide smaller bottles if needed. Most retail pharmacies do not charge for this, though it may be a bit more trouble if you use a mail order pharmacy.

Usually, you'll be fine with basic noncontrolled medications in a daily planner, but it's not a bad idea to bring them in labeled bottles, and certainly pack some extra just in case. For controlled substances (pain medications, ADHD medications, etc), I'd highly recommend keeping them in a labeled container.

For chilled items like insulin, be sure the cold packs are solid while you're at the airport. It's best to use the brick type (the kind that don't liquefy as they warm up), as you may have to throw out liquefied or gel packs when they warm up. For insulin in particular, bring the box if the vial itself isn't labeled. For other liquid medications, ask the pharmacy for 2- or 3-oz labeled bottles to be on the safe side (they'll probably permit a larger bottle as long as it's labeled).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Pharmacist here! A printout from the pharmacy doesn't hurt, and we can indeed provide smaller bottles if needed. Most retail pharmacies do not charge for this, though it may be a bit more trouble if you use a mail order pharmacy.

Usually, you'll be fine with basic noncontrolled medications in a daily planner, but it's not a bad idea to bring them in labeled bottles, and certainly pack some extra just in case. For controlled substances (pain medications, ADHD medications, etc), I'd highly recommend keeping them in a labeled container.

For chilled items like insulin, be sure the cold packs are solid while you're at the airport. It's best to use the brick type (the kind that don't liquefy as they warm up), as you may have to throw out liquefied or gel packs when they warm up. For insulin in particular, bring the box if the vial itself isn't labeled. For other liquid medications, ask the pharmacy for 2- or 3-oz labeled bottles to be on the safe side (they'll probably permit a larger bottle as long as it's labeled).

Just a heads up for insulin - I would use a frio pack this will work for days - even weeks - we used it camping no fridge (thus if you are somewhere and there is a power cut you will be fine for days). It also works in reverse we have also used it in the arctic on a husky dog safari trip to stop the insulin freezing (most explorers now use this if diabetic). I was worried about taking on airlines at first but we have traveled all over in the last 10 years and we have never been questioned about it.

And a question for you about USA prescriptions are they still in bottles - that is rare in the UK ours are now in cardboard boxes so easy to pack (you can request a bottle for safety if you have young children).

Edited by fragilek

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This countries prisons are not full of people who failed to take their prescriptions in the original bottles. The TSA could care less if your medications are in a daily organizer or not. They are not looking for narcotics. It is their job to search for explosives, firearms, or any other weapon that could be a danger to the aircraft or flight crew. More and more people are using mail order pharmacies and get their medication in bottles with a 90 day supply. Who's going to carry around a big bottle like that. You can't get a smaller bottle from your local Walgreens because you didn't get it filled there. Just use a pill organizer and carry around a list of the prescriptions if you like. Now if your going to another country, like somewhere in the Middle East or Asia, that's a different story. Get that info from the state department or foreign ministers office from the country your going to. Many over the counter meds that are legal here, are not legal to have elsewhere. Don't rely on somebody on CC who had a friend, who's brother-in-law had a cousin, who's mom had a problem, because he called a TSA agent a jerk, and got a cavity search.

I totally agree.

They could care or less about meds, and it isn't even their business.

My favorite is the urban legend about the "rouge" TSA agent who dumped hudereds of loose pills all over the table and told the person to explain each one.

Just a heads up for insulin - I would use a frio pack this will work for days - even weeks - we used it camping no fridge (thus if you are somewhere and there is a power cut you will be fine for days). It also works in reverse we have also used it in the arctic on a husky dog safari trip to stop the insulin freezing (most explorers now use this if diabetic). I was worried about taking on airlines at first but we have traveled all over in the last 10 years and we have never been questioned about it.

And a question for you about USA prescriptions are they still in bottles - that is rare in the UK ours are now in cardboard boxes so easy to pack (you can request a bottle for safety if you have young children).

Interesting. As a type 1 diabetic myself, I'm definitely going to have to take a look at those frio packs you mentioned (I frequently go on summer camping trips too).

In the US, the cardboard boxes (we call them blister packs or shellpacks in the pharmacy) are becoming more common, but more often than not we still dispense tablets in labeled bottles. Sometimes they're precounted 30- or 90-count bottles, and other times it's hand-counted from bulk bottles. In my pharmacy, it sort of depends on how frequently we dispense the medication (shellpacks are great for more frequently used meds) and the medication's price (bulk bottles are often cheaper for us to use).

I live in the US and take many prescription medications each day. I choose to comply with the TSA recommendation to transport prescriptions in the original pharmacy packaging, but 30 day bottles of each are very bulky. I found an independent local pharmacy that will blister pack my meds on an 8×11 or so card. Each card holds 4 doses a day, 7 days worth of meds. The card is virtually flat and very easy to pack. The pharmacy participates with my insurance (a large, well known plan) so my copay is no more than at a big chain pharmacy for standard packaging.

I hope that helps.

Vicki

I live in the US and take many prescription medications each day. I choose to comply with the TSA recommendation to transport prescriptions in the original pharmacy packaging, but 30 day bottles of each are very bulky. I found an independent local pharmacy that will blister pack my meds on an 8×11 or so card. Each card holds 4 doses a day, 7 days worth of meds. The card is virtually flat and very easy to pack. The pharmacy participates with my insurance (a large, well known plan) so my copay is no more than at a big chain pharmacy for standard packaging.

I hope that helps.

Vicki

Excellent suggestion.:)

I am a transplant recipient (7 years ago) and travel/cruise all the time. I never bring the original med bottles except my only liquid (Nystatin)--which always gets looked and and scrubbed at the airport TSA security pass thru. I take 15 or so pills 4 times a day (different meds at different times so a total of about 50 or so different meds). I use a weekly pill organizer with 4 big areas per day.

I ALWAYS keep it in my carry on back pack (for safety) and I carry a written list of drug names and daily does in the event I end up at some medial facility w./out my meds (foreign or rural hospital for example).

I have never been stopped or questioned about any of the meds except the aforementioned Liquid Nystatin at the airport security area. Sometimes I need to carry controlled substances (oxycodone for example-- those I do bring along in the prescription bottle just in case--but again I have never been questioned).

I have found a cruise to be one of the easiest vacations to manage my med schedule and never had had any issue at all taking meds on board.

So from my perspective-- 60 meds is easy peasy especially on a cruise ship.

I also bring my meds in a weekly organizer with 4 areas per day. I then make it into a 28 day organizer. In all the times I've cruised and flown, I've never taken my meds in their original prescription bottles and have never been questioned. I carry my organizer in my carry on back pack.