Circular Quay breakfast options?

vickykay

Your only problem willbe choosing which one.

We're partial to a little one on the Corner of George Street and Hickson Road, had brekky there a few times, when cruising, or dropping people off / picking them up.

Just can't think of the name.

But be warned no where in Sydney is cheap it is consistently voted the most expensive city in the world for tourists (or in the top few, but about three years in a row numbe one).

Thanks everyone. GUT- no city can possibly be more expensive then Olso, made London look cheap!

Yeah Oslo won (or lost) last year, but Sydney topped them the year before, gives you some idea how expensive it is.

Because of dietary issues, my wife prefers a buffet for breakfast. Are there any available in that area?

Thanks.

Breakfast buffets are prett much the exclusive domain of hotels.

Most don't need you to be booked there, but most also charge similar prices.

There are not a huge number of buffets in Sydney, as said, in the hotels but not many otherwise. I think it is because of the food handling laws that were made more strict more than fifteen years ago.

But lots of breakfast places near the Quay. Now our dollar has dropped you wont find it as expensive as in the past few years, unless you are Canadian!

Don't forget that the price you see is what you pay; no tax added and no compulsory service charges.

But if you want a lot to eat the hotel buffet could be worth it. You often pay around $18 for a hot dish, then if you have two coffees at $4 each or want toast or cereal as well, it can add up.

McDonalds now have a Create Your Own option and I have heard that they do a pretty Goid breakfast that way, haven't tried it myself.

We also find the brekky on a plate at Oporto pretty good, they don't tend too recoil their eggs, but I'm not sure if there is an Oporto at the Quay, I'll have to check that out.

"City Extra", right in the middle of Circular Quay is a US diner style restaurant with a pretty good brekkie selection (and open all day and night). Prices are OK and the portions are large. And you can sit on the sidewalk "terrace" and watch the morning commuter hustle and bustle.

As for buffets, Glass Brasserie at the Hilton in George Street (a perhaps 20 min walk) , or Cafe Opera at the Intercontinental Hotel (5 min walk ) are very good. Both charge around AUD 42.00 for walk-ins. Not cheap for sure, but lots of freshly cooked stuff

The Fine Foods Store, The Rocks, is a personal favourite, with great food and a friendly atmosphere. It opens from 7 am.

I was just reading a SMH newspaper article "My Secret Sydney" by Ken Done and he said "tucked away in The Rocks is a lovely little place called The Fine Food Store where we often have lunch". Australia is really a small place.

"City Extra", right in the middle of Circular Quay is a US diner style restaurant with a pretty good brekkie selection (and open all day and night).
Sadly, it looks like "all day and night" isn't the case any more for the Circular Quay branch. The home page now says:-
Trading hours - Circular Quay 7am - midnight Sunday - Thursday
7am - 2am Friday and Saturday[/codE]

The Parramatta branch still seems to be open 24 hours a day, though.

I'm a bit sad about this, as City Extra has now been a Circular Quay institution for such a long time, hence it was what immediately came to mind when I first saw this thread. It was quite new when I first went there, and it was very useful for some very late nights!

"City Extra", right in the middle of Circular Quay is a US diner style restaurant with a pretty good brekkie selection (and open all day and night). Prices are OK and the portions are large. And you can sit on the sidewalk "terrace" and watch the morning commuter hustle and bustle.

As for buffets, Glass Brasserie at the Hilton in George Street (a perhaps 20 min walk) , or Cafe Opera at the Intercontinental Hotel (5 min walk ) are very good. Both charge around AUD 42.00 for walk-ins. Not cheap for sure, but lots of freshly cooked stuff

I don't think that City Extra at the Qua is 24/7.

Pancakes on the Rocks!

It's a 40+ year tradition in my family.

Eggs Benedict on a pancake.... mmmmmmmm

Yep, even for lunch, followed by pancakes with Ice Cream and Maple Syrup.

Hi Karen, Just another Australian who lived in Kirribilli for 20 years and now I live in Brisbane. I read you are part of a group of 6 Australians who will be joining us on the Koningsdam. Is that correct? Rich (0bnxshs) the spreadsheet originator with myself as co-editor regarding this cruise contains a wealth of information. See

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AiCWg5l-MfQrdHA0NU53aGJfal9sZllETlF0U2Nnd2c&output=html

Would you and your fellow passengers like to be added to the Roll Call and the Meet and Greet. Let us know. Best Wishes

Keith (1cruiseadict) :)