Alaska - Is it worth it??

Beachammo

Ok....I got balcony cabin 9256 on hold for the Alaska one way on Radiance July 28th, 2017. I'm hesitant....there is something in me that won't allow myself to spend over 4k for a seven day cruise ($600 a night). I can spend 4 weeks in the Caribbean in a balcony cabin with MSC for about the same price! Or go around the Mediterranean for 14 days with Royal in the same 9256 cabin.

What makes Alaska soo expensive? There is enough competition that prices really shouldn't be that high.

Opinions?

One factor is that you are going at the peak time. I realize you have work scehdules to plan around, so you may not have the flexibility now. We saved a bunch of money by going in the first week of June. So one option might be to postpone Alaska until you can go at less expensive parts of the season, and take the MSC cruise instead.

Ok....I got balcony cabin 9256 on hold for the Alaska one way on Radiance July 28th, 2017. I'm hesitant....there is something in me that won't allow myself to spend over 4k for a seven day cruise ($600 a night). I can spend 4 weeks in the Caribbean in a balcony cabin with MSC for about the same price! Or go around the Mediterranean for 14 days with Royal in the same 9256 cabin.

What makes Alaska soo expensive? There is enough competition that prices really shouldn't be that high.

Opinions?

Extremely popular, short four month time to make the tourist $$, and everything

is expensive in Alaska!

Worth it? It is IMHO, but it is a personal decision that each have to decide on. I have 9256 booked B2B for this coming August. Third Alaska cruise, 2nd time in my favorite cabin on Radiance for Alaska. Enjoy!! :)

Edited by island lady

We went at the very end of May, at the very beginning of the season (and on Princess; check them out, too).

We thought it was worth it, and could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, although we want to go back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Second Alaskan cruise coming up in September. The sticker shock was bad so we are trying a virtual balcony cabin to save some dough. Try going later or earlier to save a little money. Yes, it is crazy expensive.

However, the scenery is indescribable, the air fresh, the water a different blue. The excursions are unique and I need to see the glaciers again before they are gone.

One factor is that you are going at the peak time. I realize you have work scehdules to plan around, so you may not have the flexibility now. We saved a bunch of money by going in the first week of June. So one option might be to postpone Alaska until you can go at less expensive parts of the season, and take the MSC cruise instead.

Bob...

Beginning of June was considerably cheaper ($2457). Thought it may be too cold to hang on balcony?? How was it when you went?

I don't work anymore so dates are not the problem...

We also had planned to spend at least a week in Alaska after the cruise doing land trips.

Edited by Beachammo

Bob...

Beginning of June was considerably cheaper ($2457). Thought it may be too cold to hang on balcony?? How was it when you went?

For us, it was the trip of a lifetime (and we've been a LOT of places.) As for the balcony, hanging out there Caribbean-style? Probably not, but bundle up or watch the scenery from inside the cabin through that big beautiful glass door! It's breathtaking!

Bob...

Well, I thought dates might be a problem for Leslie.

It was cool, we did not hang out on the balcony, and I don't know if you're going to be able to hang out on the balcony in July either. We were always wearing a windbreaker with a couple of layers underneath.

Weather changes fast in Alaska, so even in July you can get cold rainy periods.

All I can say was that I would not have gone if the price was what it was in July. I do remember that the difference between a balcony and JS was not much, maybe $1500pp for the balcony and $1800pp for the JS.

Well, I thought dates might be a problem for Leslie.

It was cool, we did not hang out on the balcony, and I don't know if you're going to be able to hang out on the balcony in July either. We were always wearing a windbreaker with a couple of layers underneath.

Weather changes fast in Alaska, so even in July you can get cold rainy periods.

All I can say was that I would not have gone if the price was what it was in July. I do remember that the difference between a balcony and JS was not much, maybe $1500pp for the balcony and $1800pp for the JS.

Good points....

Was thinking being on aft would be less windy so we could use it more. Guess Leslie and I got some more thinking to do.

By the way.....Leslie hasn't been in the workforce since we had our first child. She still had the toughest job of the two of us!

Yeah....we went in May and the price was much better...the weather nice...and plenty of glaciers and whales to see. May/June are good times for whale watching if you're planning on that.

Love Alaska, and you can tell by my signature!

We've sailed either spring or fall, and that's cheaper for the fare portion. I don't think the shore excursion prices change.

But I want to try high summer.

Alaska is great, they're all Americans like us. And you can understand them! You don't have to worry about foreign currency! Ports are relatively safe.

Alaska is higher than Caribbean, but it's worth it.

If you take Vancouver to Seward itinerary, be sure to get the Pan Pacific Vancouver hotel. It's above the cruise port. They pick up your bag in your room and you find it in your stateroom later! No taxis from Hotel to Cruise Port! It's pricey, but for us, one less hassle is worth it!

On scenic cruising day, stay in your room and order room service and watch the view from your balcony! Yes! Get a balcony! We did it once w/ an oceanview and once w/ an inside. While we had fun, the balcony's better for Alaska, though I think you can also get by with one of those panoramic oceanviews w/ the floor to ceiling windows.

Edited by knittinggirl

Alaska is the most expensive cruise we've ever sailed, but we keep booking it. :rolleyes: Love the land/sea pkgs and worth every penny. We sail high season because that is when the weather is best. Otherwise, less pricey in May, September - weather mostly not accommodating - rain/fog can prevent seeing all that Alaska has to offer.

imho, save up, sail high season, go with a land/sea pkg. Might cost $10,000 with air, etc., but will make you memories to last the rest of your life.

And, if you do get there, pay the money to do the Skagway Rail Experience. Have done it RT by Train; also, train up, bus back. Both experiences were great. One time, we rented a car and rode up to Emerald Lake - WOW!!! Hard to advise which way to go.

Don't compare the Caribbean prices to Alaska. No comparison in the experience.

Enjoy the seas always and all ways.

Good points....

Was thinking being on aft would be less windy so we could use it more. Guess Leslie and I got some more thinking to do.

By the way.....Leslie hasn't been in the workforce since we had our first child. She still had the toughest job of the two of us!

OK, well for whatever reason I thought one of you was working.

You've got to consider that it's a totally different type of cruise, and enjoying the balcony may not be much of an option. It strikes home when you are out on deck, looking at the glaciers while the ship is doing a 360, and the crew is serving hot chocolate.

Been to Alaska twice once 20 years ago on the old Carnival Tropicale. On that trip we went in late May and it was cool but then we are from Michigan. Went again with our boys then in late teens in late July. Frankly the weather was only marginally better, and yes it was much more expensive. We did Radiance which in our opinion was almost purpose built for Alaska, where Tropicale was clearly made for warm water. Do the trip, it is memorable, and if you are willing and able, rent a car and drive the interior north of Anchorage.

I have been to Alaska on Princess 20+ years ago. It was expensive then and does not look much different now. Booked many RCL cruises in the Caribbean and currently 12 days on Anthem in Caribbean plus 7 days in August on Princess in Alaska. No comparison on price. Balcony on both and price is almost double for Alaska on a per day basis. For me, Alaska is for a once in a decade type trip and the Caribbean or Bermuda is for the every year more frequent trip. But Alaska is so unlike the islands, no comparison. Feel so much safer on US grounds and trust food and water off the ship. Also, I live in NJ so no air fare to sail from the New York Ports.

That seems a little high to me. We went last August and booked a two-week land tour and cruise on Princess with a travel agency that specializes Alaska tours and paid about $3000/pp for a mini suite. It included some extras, like the full-day Denali tour and very good meals on land.

There was only one day on board when it was cold enough to require layers. Even whale-watching wasn't that cold (and the friends with whom we travelled are from AZ). One thing that amazed me was the abundance and beauty of the flowers everywhere. Because of the long daylight hours, they grow profusely. All of our friends have taken tours earlier in the season, and the flowers were not that spectacular then.

Bob...

We went in 2015 on May 8th, almost first cruise of season, in a balcony cabin. The weather was unseasonably warm in Alaska; in fact, the residents were very unhappy about it. We used the balcony every day, and on the day we sailed to Sawyer Glacier, we were up at 5:00AM, bundled up a bit, and watched the awe-inspiring approach.

Weather in Alaska is very variable, but on our last two cruises (2015 was our fifth!) it has been great. Even back in 2000, when we did our first one, it was not cold, and that was the end of June, beginning of July. Obviously, we love Alaska and consider a balcony essential to fully enjoy it.

Pat.

We just booked our Alaska B2B! Let me tell you, the price per week in a JS is pretty close to the price on our Holland America's Voyage of the Vikings in a Vista Suite!

We figure the food better be 30% better in July than in May, because that's what we're paying.:mad: No meatloaf carving nor pizza (cheese & pepperoni on a cracker) in the WINDJAMMER !

Edited by knittinggirl

Our first cruise was to Alaska and we had a balcony.

In retrospect it probably wasn't worth the extra$$ altho' using it as a big picture window was great:)

Next year we're doing a 14dy Alaska cruise but in OV but I'll be watching for price drops on balconies which I suspect will be non-existent.

If you can afford it, do it, it's a wonderful place.

Edited by pspercy

I've been there 4 times. We usually go early in the season because it is cheaper. The animals are coming out and there is still snow on the mountains. We get an inside cabin. I know some people don't like those but it is cheaper and we love to be up on deck as much as possible. You can see so much more up there instead of setting on a balcony and only seeing what's right in front of you. You can also set inside at whatever lounge they have at the front of the boat if it's too cold. We like to set out, under blankets they provide and drink hot drinks. Also if someone sees something on one side of the boat, you can crossover to the other side easy enough.

Actually, that's not a bad price. There is a hierarchy of pricing with the Carribean at the bottom, then South America and Alaska and finally Europe. I checked the RCI website and $1500 per person in a balcony is a good deal. If I hadn't been to Alaska, I'd jump right in that. Especially for July.