a few questions about Sydney--wifi, wine, and transport

Hi all

have already gotten some great tips on things to do in Sydney from all of you. Now I have a few more detailed questions about Sydney.

Is free wifi generally available around Sydney. We will be staying in the CBD (Wyndham Vacation Resorts,Corner of Wentworth Avenue and Goulburn Street) if that helps narrow down the area,

I know there will be plenty of places to buy wine, but can anyone give me an approximate cost of a decent Australian/NZ merlot or cab sav? I know tastes vary but so do costs and I am trying to decide how much Australian cash to bring (I'd rather use cash for some purchases).

Are there special metro cards (or equivalent) that we could buy to use trains/buses, maybe ferries, for the week we will be there? In the US, we can buy these that allow unlimited travel for a day or week or whatever.

I will google this, but can anyone provide a link to Sydney train schedules and stations, including a train schedule to go to the Blue Mountains?

Thanks for any help, advice and suggestions.

ML

Cannot answer the wifi question as I live in Nrisbane. As for wine check out this website for prices, ...dan murphys.... They are a liquor outlet that will give you a good indication regarding prices and there is an outlet very close to where you are staying. Link below

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/dm/home.jsp

As for your metro card in NSW it's called an Opal card

Just google for link you can purchase this card virtually everywhere, and it is used for buses, trains and ferries

Wifi is fairly common throughout the CBD, so you shouldn't have too many issues. McDonald's has free wifi, so find those Golden Arches as a last resort and login.

A decent bottle of wine should set you back between $13 and $25+ a bottle. Depends on your tastes ultimately.

I use this site for all of my trip planning needs. http://tp.transportnsw.info/nsw/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

As indicated in a previous reply, Opal is the name of our public transport card. Google it for the most up to date and accurate information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all

have already gotten some great tips on things to do in Sydney from all of you. Now I have a few more detailed questions about Sydney.

Is free wifi generally available around Sydney. We will be staying in the CBD (Wyndham Vacation Resorts,Corner of Wentworth Avenue and Goulburn Street) if that helps narrow down the area,

I know there will be plenty of places to buy wine, but can anyone give me an approximate cost of a decent Australian/NZ merlot or cab sav? I know tastes vary but so do costs and I am trying to decide how much Australian cash to bring (I'd rather use cash for some purchases).

Are there special metro cards (or equivalent) that we could buy to use trains/buses, maybe ferries, for the week we will be there? In the US, we can buy these that allow unlimited travel for a day or week or whatever.

I will google this, but can anyone provide a link to Sydney train schedules and stations, including a train schedule to go to the Blue Mountains?

Thanks for any help, advice and suggestions.

ML

Free wifi isn't what I'd call readily available, but is available at Starbucks, McDonalds and a few other such places.

Best bet s to google Sydney Trains, I'm useless at pasting links.

You will probably need an Opal Card which has the benefit that after 10 (I think it is) trips in a week other trips are free.

I know tastes vary but so do costs and I am trying to decide how much Australian cash to bring (I'd rather use cash for some purchases).

There are plenty of ATMs all over Australia (and New Zealand). If you have a debit card just get cash out as you need it, rather than bringing it with you. You may even get a better exchange rate that way. We rarely get currency ahead of time when travelling, always wait until we arrive and head for the nearest ATM - which is often in our arrival airport.

Bollocks - I just wrote a really long reply and my laptop crashed :( I'll try again:

Wifi - there's a heap of apps you can download to find free wifi, but in general McDonalds, Starbucks & Gloria Jeans (another coffee chain) have free wifi. A number of cafes and restaurants do too, but you'll need to ask them for a password. I did a quick google search and came up with a number of sites that list all the places that currently offer wifi.

Transport - Get yourself an Opal card. You can travel on all forms of public transport with one, and if you travel for 8 separate but consecutive trips, then the rest of your travel for that week is free. It is also capped at a certain amount per day, and on Sundays' you can travel all day for just $2.50. The best place to get timetables and up-to-date transport information is www.transportnsw.info

And now the important stuff.... wine :)

Wine prices can vary immensely, from under $10 to over $100 for a bottle. You can get decent enough wine for between $12 and $15, and good wine for between $20 & $25.

Near your hotel is World Square, a large shopping/office complex (a little way down Goulburn St from your hotel). There is a Liquorland there where you can get decent wines at the lower price ranges.

Alternatively if you are willing to pay more (prices generally start at around $20) then try The Oak Barrel, a boutique bottle shop, which is on Elizabeth Street just around the corner from your hotel.

Have a fabulous time :)

Don't most hotels have free wifi these days?

No, in many cases free wifi is only available to status loyalty guests. It will depend on the hotel. Some hotels have free wifi with certain rooms or in certain areas for their guests (e.g. in the foyer or executive lounge).

Does the city have free wifi or do you need to go to a coffee shop etc to log on? Canberra has free wifi in some areas but also the large shopping centres offer it as well. Ours is pretty fast in the city but have been in some places where it's a bit like watching paint dry.

If you want to visit the Blue Mountains by train you probably would look at the Explorer HOHO bus to get around (link) though I have never used it.

Edited by Aussieflyer

No, in many cases free wifi is only available to status loyalty guests. It will depend on the hotel. Some hotels have free wifi with certain rooms or in certain areas for their guests (e.g. in the foyer or executive lounge).

You are right. If you don't get it (free) in your room it's usually available in lobby or lounge areas.

Our recent experience with Fairmont Hotels was like that but by joining their (free) loyalty program you could have free wifi in your room. Go figure, as they say.

OMG--you guys are great, this is terrific! Thanks for all the replies. I was going to respond to these individually but I got so many responses, I'll just do a more global reply.

First off, thanks for all the quick and helpful replies, excellent info here.

I don't know what our hotel will charge (or not) for wifi. If they don't great, but these days, I agree with OzKiwiJJ that the more they charge, the less you get. This is actually a timeshare we got thru the friends we are travelling with, so I'll ask them if we get wifi. Otherwise it's Maccas for me!

Thanks for the info on opal card and schedules/links. I will study these so we can get around efficiently. I didn't ask, but are there times not to be on Sydney piublic transportation? I know in New York city, even the police tell you not to ride after 11 pm! Not saying there are issues, just asking.

And, as MadWoofter notes, now the important stuff--wine!!! Thanks for those links/clues about where to look for decent wine and prices. We are planning on buying several bottles as we board each cruise, so this is helpful. we must have our wine, or the balcony won't be nearly as nice! And we love Australian and NZ wines, so we are hoping to try some we don't get in the US.

We have used the ATM in the past but I am thinking if we get cash now, the exchange rate may be better (sorry, not trying to insult anyone, but right now USD is about 40% more in AUSD and a little more for NZ). So, we may monitor this and see what we can do. It's a bit of a crap shoot but we may consider it. I do have my ATM card as a backup. Thanks for that reminder, I rarely use it at home.

this a great start, but if anyone has more tips, I'll take them.

Thanks all, so nice to come here and get questions answered

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

OMG--you guys are great, this is terrific! Thanks for all the replies. I was going to respond to these individually but I got so many responses, I'll just do a more global reply.

I don't know what our hotel will charge (or not) for wifi. If they don't great, but these days, I agree with OzKiwiJJ that the more they charge, the less you get. This is actually a timeshare we got thru the friends we are travelling with, so I'll ask them if we get wifi. Otherwise it's Maccas for me!

Thanks for the info on opal card and schedules/links. I will study these so we can get around efficiently. I didn't ask, but are there times not to be on Sydney piublic transportation? I know in New York city, even the police tell you not to ride after 11 pm! Not saying there are issues, just asking.

And, as MadWoofter notes, now the important stuff--wine!!! Thanks for those links/clues about where to look for decent wine and prices. We are planning on buying several bottles as we board each cruise, so this is helpful. we must have our wine, or the balcony won't be nearly as nice! And we love Australian and NZ wines, so we are hoping to try some we don't get in the US.

We have used the ATM in the past but I am thinking if we get cash now, the exchange rate may be better (sorry, not trying to insult anyone, but right now USD is about 40% more in AUSD and a little more for NZ). So, we may monitor this and see what we can do. It's a bit of a crap shoot but we may consider it. I do have my ATM card as a backup. Thanks for that reminder, I rarely use it at home.

ML

Glad you've caught on to Maccas.

Yep the Aus$ is in the hole at the moment, bet a few years back it was even worse.

More tips??? Anything in particular?

Sydney is pretty safe, I've often traveled late at night with no worries, but then if you saw me you might understand why. Probably the only areas I'd say to avoid late at night may be the Cross and the Cinema area of George Street, if there's trouble they are the most likely areas.

ML

One thought I just had.

Does your ATM card have a 4 digit PIN.

Just be aware that some cruise lines limit the amount of wine you are allowed to bring onboard. I think RCI & Celebrity allow only one bottle per person, no fee, and you can take the wine to the dining rooms. Princess allows one per person / two per cabin (can't remember how it's worded) free of charge and that wine can only be consumed in your cabin otherwise it incurs a fee. They charge a $15 (?) fee for every bottle after that but you can take those bottles to the MDR, however you can bring on as much as you like.

The exchange rate has been fluctuating up and down over a 3-4 cent range since last September. Hard to pick which way it will go next. ;)

Westfield Shopping Centres now offer free WiFi. There is one in the CBD, and Bondi Junction and Chatswood are both just short train rides away. BTW the Harbour Room food court in Westfield Bondi Junction has amazing harbour views, and Chatswood has fantastic Asian food in its Hawker Lane food court.

Detail of the WiFi:

"Thanks to Westfield and Optus, you can use up to 3 hours or 1GB of free data every day. To access free WiFi at Westfield Sydney follow these steps:

1. Ensure your wireless enabled laptop, tablet or smart phone is turned on and has its wireless signal activated.

2. Navigate to your “Available Wireless Network Collection List”

3. Select "_WestfieldFreeWiFi" from the list. You may need to select 'Connect'

4. Once the welcome screen appears, enter your details and select “Connect to WiFi”. By Connecting to the WiFi you agree to the Terms and Conditions and Westfield Privacy Policy.

5. Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy for the Free WiFi Service are available on the login page"

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Glad you've caught on to Maccas.

Yep the Aus$ is in the hole at the moment, bet a few years back it was even worse.

More tips??? Anything in particular?

Sydney is pretty safe, I've often traveled late at night with no worries, but then if you saw me you might understand why. Probably the only areas I'd say to avoid late at night may be the Cross and the Cinema area of George Street, if there's trouble they are the most likely areas.

Read all about Maccas but will only use them if we are desperate!

I thought Aus$ was great until recently? Have read a lot about how expensive AUS/NZ were due to bad exchange rate. Maybe I had that wrong. Or our friends were confused :)

As far as tips, I don't know what to ask, so I am hoping some of you can educate a dopey American. Really, my basic questions have been answered but sometimes you stumble onto something special/different. For example, for you Sydney residents, what's your favorite pub? What do you order (besides beer and wine!)? Any particularly good pubs in CBD, near the Wyndham? I would like to find a nice pub we could call ours while we are there but this might be hard to do for a lot of reasons.

Thanks for the notes on those places. It is doubtful we would be out late at night but it is always nice to know the areas where we need to be more aware.

Thx

ML

Just be aware that some cruise lines limit the amount of wine you are allowed to bring onboard. I think RCI & Celebrity allow only one bottle per person, no fee, and you can take the wine to the dining rooms. Princess allows one per person / two per cabin (can't remember how it's worded) free of charge and that wine can only be consumed in your cabin otherwise it incurs a fee. They charge a $15 (?) fee for every bottle after that but you can take those bottles to the MDR, however you can bring on as much as you like.

Yes, we know we can each bring one free bottle onboard but I think most cruise lines let you bring more on for a fee. If you've ever looked at what they charge for bottles of wine onboard, it is still cheaper to bring a wine you like and pay the fee than pay for their inferior wines. We will probably try and bring 6 bottles on. We would drink all of it on our balcony and pay for wine before, during and after dinner, so everyone gets something :D

ML

Regarding tips - tipping isn't expected in either Australia or NZ but, naturally it is welcomed if offered in some cases.

Often people leave the change at restaurants/cafes if they have had good service but would rarely tip over 10% in any case.

Taxis, again, just the coin change.

That's about all. You don't tip at hairdressers, beauty salons etc.

Westfield Shopping Centres now offer free WiFi. There is one in the CBD, and Bondi Junction and Chatswood are both just short train rides away. BTW the Harbour Room food court in Westfield Bondi Junction has amazing harbour views, and Chatswood has fantastic Asian food in its Hawker Lane food court.

Detail of the WiFi:

"Thanks to Westfield and Optus, you can use up to 3 hours or 1GB of free data every day. To access free WiFi at Westfield Sydney follow these steps:

1. Ensure your wireless enabled laptop, tablet or smart phone is turned on and has its wireless signal activated.

2. Navigate to your “Available Wireless Network Collection List”

3. Select "_WestfieldFreeWiFi" from the list. You may need to select 'Connect'

4. Once the welcome screen appears, enter your details and select “Connect to WiFi”. By Connecting to the WiFi you agree to the Terms and Conditions and Westfield Privacy Policy.

5. Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy for the Free WiFi Service are available on the login page"

Thank you for this, really good to know. I know we will spend some time at Bondi and I assume Westfield Bondi junction is on the way or close. We love Asian food, so Chatswood might be good for a casual lunch or dinner. Could be a great compromise if the hotel doesn't have wifi. And, just to be clear, we don't have any need to be in constant communication, but we do need to check in with the house sitter to see how the dog is doing!

ML