Secrets on the Coral Princess

fire&teacher

I'm a newbie to Cruise Critic but have been on 5 cruises. Can anyone give me some special or secret tips about the Coral Princess? My family is booked June 11 from Vancouver to Whitter followed by 5 days on land. Looking forward to your responses.

An advantage to the Coral is the forward AND aft viewing areas on Decks 10 & 11. While the upper decks are open, they can (will) be crowded during the voyage into the Glaciers. There are 'blue' panels that can make it difficult to get clear photos.

Also, the Coral has the International Cafe (Jr.!) a bit smaller than on the grand class ships, but still a great addition.

Be sure to see the "On the Bayou" show in the Universe Lounge, but get there early.

The buffet (Horizon Court) is located in the front of the ship and it offers great views up there while you eat.

They have a covered pool area (adult only) that makes cool or cold days very comfortable.

Your family will really enjoy the Coral and Alaska will absolutely blow you away!

Happy Sailing!

Decks 10 and 11 have a wonderful viewing area at the stern. There are a few loungers where you can sit and read and watch the wake. Very relaxing, generally not crowded, although sometimes the loungers fill up.

Coral is a gorgeous ship.

The library has wonderful chairs with great big windows. We do a lot of reading. I got there early the glacier bay day. It was windy and cold outside, but perfect inside with those big windows. I had a calving show and lots of animal acts right in front of me. The area filled up fast too.

• Like 1

When we went through the Panama Canal all the upper decks were crowded and security was very strict about where you could stand to take pictures ( for obvious reasons). We were told to go all the way forward on the port side of deck 5 ( or was it 7) and go through the door marked crew only. It led out to a viewing deck with only about 15 others on it and we had an AMAZING view of the locks. Nobody stopped us or seemed to care. So, that's MY secret on the Coral.

• Like 1

When we went through the Panama Canal all the upper decks were crowded and security was very strict about where you could stand to take pictures ( for obvious reasons). We were told to go all the way forward on the port side of deck 5 ( or was it 7) and go through the door marked crew only. It led out to a viewing deck with only about 15 others on it and we had an AMAZING view of the locks. Nobody stopped us or seemed to care. So, that's MY secret on the Coral.

We sailed the Coral in Oct on a full transit and never saw security stopping people taking photos? Why?

We were all over the upper decks.

We sailed the Coral in Oct on a full transit and never saw security stopping people taking photos? Why?

We were all over the upper decks.

Because some were standing on rails trying to take pictures above the blue tinted windows and some were standing on chairs, etc.

They didn't stop them from taking pictures, just do it safely

I do not know how "secret" it is, but I am told that there is an entrance to a small deck just outside our stateroom (C201) located on the Caribe deck. The door (so I am told) has a "crew only" posted, but passengers are allowed to use it (again I am told). ..I called Princess and on two occasions, they did not offer any more details.

I suppose I will find out when we sail on 9/10 from Whittier to Vancouver.

I do not know how "secret" it is, but I am told that there is an entrance to a small deck just outside our stateroom (C201) located on the Caribe deck. The door (so I am told) has a "crew only" posted, but passengers are allowed to use it (again I am told). ..I called Princess and on two occasions, they did not offer any more details.

I suppose I will find out when we sail on 9/10 from Whittier to Vancouver.

These decks are both forward and aft and are used all the time by passengers.

Its great to have a forward or aft cabin so one can access these areas just a few steps from your cabin.

For some reason it won't let me post the ships aft photo but if you google Coral Princess aft there are a few photos.

here is a great site with photos too,

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

coral-b.jpg

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We were told to go all the way forward on the port side of deck 5 ( or was it 7) and go through the door marked crew only. It led out to a viewing deck with only about 15 others on it and we had an AMAZING view of the locks. Nobody stopped us or seemed to care. So, that's MY secret on the Coral.

The furthest forward you can go on deck 5 is the Bordeaux Dining Room. On Deck 7 it is the Princess Theater. I doubt there is any such door you can access from the dining room or theater.

Probably you mean another deck.

The furthest forward you can go on deck 5 is the Bordeaux Dining Room. On Deck 7 it is the Princess Theater. I doubt there is any such door you can access from the dining room or theater.

If you look at the deck plans, you can see corridors leading forward on Baja (11), Caribe (10) and Dolphin (9).

There was definitely a door like that , aft, on dolphin. I aqw saw it when i did laundry and thought i must had seen it 10 times from the other side.

There are several doors like that on several decks, Baja,Caribe,Dolphin, and Emerald........

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thanks for correcting that, I wasn't sure which deck it was, but I do know it was not crowded and had a great view. I did hear that a crew member told a guest not to use that door on another cruise though, so not sure. ?????

I'm a newbie to Cruise Critic but have been on 5 cruises. Can anyone give me some special or secret tips about the Coral Princess? My family is booked June 11 from Vancouver to Whitter followed by 5 days on land. Looking forward to your responses.

Here is a link to a thread of Coral Princess secrets.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1802517&highlight=secret

It's a little old, but most of the info is still valid.

Also, you might enter the word secret in the search box on the top of the Princess board page.

• 2 years later...
An advantage to the Coral is the forward AND aft viewing areas on Decks 10 & 11. While the upper decks are open, they can (will) be crowded during the voyage into the Glaciers. There are 'blue' panels that can make it difficult to get clear photos.

Also, the Coral has the International Cafe (Jr.!) a bit smaller than on the grand class ships, but still a great addition.

Be sure to see the "On the Bayou" show in the Universe Lounge, but get there early.

The buffet (Horizon Court) is located in the front of the ship and it offers great views up there while you eat.

They have a covered pool area (adult only) that makes cool or cold days very comfortable.

Your family will really enjoy the Coral and Alaska will absolutely blow you away!

Happy Sailing!

Is this true? A adult only pool on the Coral? Thanks, Bobbi

Ah yes, the "secret door" I heard people talking about, but nobody knew where it was. Including the crew.

On one of our Coral cruises (I think it was our second Alaska cruise on the Coral) multiple crew, including our waiters, told us about the 'secret door.'

• 6 months later...