to read the menu, otherwise I have to read it out to him which may

annoy other diners, most people we sit with are understanding when

we explain the situation.:)

We always sit in the same seats, not because we are being awkward but

that DH has quite bad eyesight and needs the best lighting at the table

to read the menu, otherwise I have to read it out to him which may

annoy other diners, most people we sit with are understanding when

we explain the situation.:)

I always try for a seat where my back isn't exposed to people walking by.

The last thing I need is to get hit in the back and OSS out face forward into my soup, or start vommiting.

Mrs gut wants one were she isn't facing flashing lights, because you don't want her having a fit.

I think it wise to have your wishes then, I wouldn't want anyone vomiting or fitting in the MDR.

But then again we usually get a table for two. Preferably my back to the wall, Mrs Gut's facing the wall.

If someone suggested playing musical chairs at a table we were assigned to, I would be seeing the maitre'd for an alternative seating . Perhaps that's why we will always choose a table for 2. To each his own :)

In some cases it makes sense. The first cruise we were on, we were at a large oval table for 10, but there were only six that turned up. One side of the table was awkward to get around so the first-comers usually sat at the far end or on that side, then the next couple would sit next to them or opposite, and the last couple would sit opposite each other nearer the middle. That way no-one had to squeeze past anyone else to get to "their" seats.

And it's not like people are changing seats after every course. :rolleyes:

One of the highlights of any cruise for us is meeting new people. Love to chat & get to know a little about each person

We had set dining on our first 2 cruises, 1st dining companions were nice, 2nd cruise nobody turned up until day 9. Although the staff loved showing us all their magic tricks which did help liven things up a little.

So after that we have done My Time Dining ever since - always ask to share a large table if possible & get to meet loads of people - if you click with some you can meet up other times during the cruise, if some are not your type you only have to endure their company for one meal. :D

2nd cruise nobody turned up until day 9.

I'm surprised they even bothered by that stage!

Although the staff loved showing us all their magic tricks which did help liven things up a little.

It's great when you get that. We had a couple like that who would liven things up. Part of the issue is they're usually too busy to have time for that though.

There are no rules in a situation like dining places. Just go with the flow and you will be right. It will not effect the quality of the meal where you sit so it is of little concern to me if I have to sit at a different seat each night or the same.

Then again things could be worst. Imagine serving in the Navy where you line up for a serving line, have tables with up to 6 stools and no particular choice who you get to sit next to. Sometimes there is no cutlery and you had to grab the knife and fork of the last person to use it give it a wipe down and eat your meal. Some days the ship may be rolling and your plates go across the table if there are no skid place mats available.

After going through that in the Navy I can sit back relax and smile and take any dining experience cruising throws at me.

Edited by Brisbane41

We have dining ADD :D We hate sitting so long to eat so very rarely go to the Dining room. We used to go the first night and let others on the table know we were weren't frequent Dining room people and if we 5 minutes late, we wouldn't be there and to start without us.

Thank goodness for MTD and now we can just show up if we want to without having to worry about others.

There are no rules in a situation like dining places. Just go with the flow and you will be right. It will not effect the quality of the meal where you sit so it is of little concern to me if I have to sit at a different seat each night or the same.

Then again things could be worst. Imagine serving in the Navy where you line up for a serving line, have tables with up to 6 stools and no particular choice who you get to sit next to. Sometimes there is no cutlery and you had to grab the knife and fork of the last person to use it give it a wipe down and eat your meal. Some days the ship may be rolling and your plates go across the table if there are no skid place mats available.

After going through that in the Navy I can sit back relax and smile and take any dining experience cruising throws at me.

I prefer my Dining table to be stool free.:p

Edited by MicCanberra

For us Traditional Dining in the MDR with the same tablemates and waiters is a highlight of the cruise. We never fail to turn up and always on time. In the very rare event we do a speciality restaurant we always let the table mates and waiters know the night before.

Yes, call us regimented but call us polite.

Edited by NSWP

For us Traditional Dining in the MDR with the same tablemates and waiters is a highlight of the cruise. We never fail to turn up and always on time. In the very rare event we do a speciality restaurant we always let the table mates and waiters know the night before.

We've always preferred trad as Wellbutrin it seems tribe getting harder to book.

But normally we get a table for two, however the way they squeeze them all in, you end up sharing anyway (or we do).

We've always preferred trad as Wellbutrin it seems tribe getting harder to book.

But normally we get a table for two, however the way they squeeze them all in, you end up sharing anyway (or we do).

Thanks Mr Gut, table for 8 for us, I am 'haveachat.' The red wine lubricates my lips, LOL. Plus another reason we do traditional dining is that being a Coeliac I order my gluten free tucker from the head waiter the night before. They know where to find me each evening and treat me well, even bring me a GF bread roll and GF crackers for the cheese plate.

Yes, sea day or port day, Traditional Dining in the MDR is always the highlight of the day for us.

Edited by NSWP

Since I'm traveling with my two kids (8 and 10), are they likely to seat us with other families with similar ages, or is it just as likely to get elderly retirees? I'm happy with either, just interested.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am pleased but that is the normal dining etiquette when doing the traditional dining. Or at least it used to be.

Since I'm traveling with my two kids (8 and 10), are they likely to seat us with other families with similar ages, or is it just as likely to get elderly retirees? I'm happy with either, just interested.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Depends on the line, but with X or Princess you are more likely to be seated by yourselves on a table for four, otherwise, it will be with another family. :D

Edited by MicCanberra

Thanks Mr Gut, table for 8 for us, I am 'haveachat.' The red wine lubricates my lips, LOL. Plus another reason we do traditional dining is that being a Coeliac I order my gluten free tucker from the head waiter the night before. They know where to find me each evening and treat me well, even bring me a GF bread roll and GF crackers for the cheese plate.

Yes, sea day or port day, Traditional Dining in the MDR is always the highlight of the day for us.

Thanks Les that's a good point Miss Gut is planning to come with us in February and is Gluten intolerant and lactose free, so I will remember to press or trad that trip regardless.

But. B honest even when we have ATD, we tend to treat it like trad anyway, get there about he same time, ak for seats in the same area. Etc, but then we're creatures of habit too.

Main reason we get a table for 2 is we like the chance to catch up on all the stuff that gets missed when a home and working.

Plus we like each other's company even after 35 years.

PLUS no one else wants to dine with Gut anyway.

Edited by GUT2407

Ditto!

Hmm, I have anaphylaxis to dairy products but seem to have no problem with anytime/select dining. As you say, the matre'd sorts the order the evening before so I dont even have to negotiate with the waiter - just tell them special order and my cabin number.

And even at wine tasting I have had staff ensure I have dairy free nibbles ...

It's a hard life this cruising thing.

They are normally very good with sorting out special dietary requirements for diners whether they are ATD or TD. Like mentioned, ordered the night before and prepared as needed.:D

Yep in fact Mrs Gut had to tell one F&B manager tha she was totally fine and would let him know if she needed any help, he was almost too helpful.

But I'd rather that than no help when it is needed.