Is RCI spraying ships for mosquitos?

I searched the forums and found that most people rarely see mosquitos on the ship, but I wonder if they're taking additional precautions.

Additionally, we will be swimming with dolphins in Cozumel off of Independence in April. I hear that the zika mosquitos are crazy daytime biters. Anyone see them there?

I searched the forums and found that most people rarely see mosquitos on the ship, but I wonder if they're taking additional precautions.

Additionally, we will be swimming with dolphins in Cozumel off of Independence in April. I hear that the zika mosquitos are crazy daytime biters. Anyone see them there?

Are you at risk if you did become infected? If not, why are you worried?

Thank you! We have a surprise stowaway on the way and I will be 15 weeks pregnant.

I would hate for this to become a debate about going/not going. It's a family reunion and I won't change the whole darn thing over me. Instead, I am stocking up on long-sleeved lightweight clothing (including a swim rashguard) to treat with permethrin and deet for my exposed skin. Same for my husband.

Thank you! We have a surprise stowaway on the way and I will be 15 weeks pregnant.

I would hate for this to become a debate about going/not going. It's a family reunion and I won't change the whole darn thing over me. Instead, I am stocking up on long-sleeved lightweight clothing (including a swim rashguard) to treat with permethrin and deet for my exposed skin. Same for my husband.

Congratulations!

It sounds like you are all prepared with the appropriate precautions.

Have a great (final) vacation! ;)

Are you at risk if you did become infected? If not, why are you worried?
Given studies indicating increased risk of developing Guillain Barrie Syndrome if you have been exposed to Zika virus, I'd say that anyone and everyone is "at risk" if in an area with Zika. Mexico has had Zika virus cases, but through mid-February there had not yet been any reported cases in Cozumel.

We just got home from doing a B2B on the Serenade of the Seas (21 nights). When they first came out with all the news about the Zika Virus a couple of months before we sailed, of course had some concerns. We were going to most of the islands that carried this virus. So, we bought some bug spray with DEET to take along, and we used it when we went to the islands. We have cruised since the early 1990's, and we never, ever saw a mosquito on any ship. We never even thought about it. Well, on the second to the last night of the first leg of our cruise, we found a mosquito in our cabin when we came back from second seating dinner, around 10:00 pm. We were on a mission to kill! We sat down and waited for it, and it took us about 20 minutes to kill it. Fortunately, it didn't have any blood in it when we smashed it on the mirror. We had an aft balcony cabin and when we were in port the day before, we wondered if it had gotten into our stateroom with us opening and closing the balcony door all the time (and we were very careful about closing it all the time just because of the virus), or did it get into our stateroom from another part of the ship? We will never know. Although, you would think it would have bitten one of us if it had been in our stateroom the entire time. Anyway, I guess the critters can get on the ship and/or into your stateroom......so be vigilant. Go figure.......just our luck!!!

Congratulations on your "stowaway"!! However pregnant women are not allowed to participate in the dolphin swim. I'm pretty sure it is any stage of pregnancy - but contact the tour provider (I'm assuming your swim is at Chankanaab) to be certain and to arrange a refund of necessary.

Congratulations on your "stowaway"!! However pregnant women are not allowed to participate in the dolphin swim. I'm pretty sure it is any stage of pregnancy - but contact the tour provider (I'm assuming your swim is at Chankanaab) to be certain and to arrange a refund of necessary.

They listed several contraindications to the dolphin experience, but not pregnancy. I figured, if it's safe enough for a 5-year-old, its safe enough for a pregnant person?

If I were pregnant, which is an impossibility, I would never be taking the chance you will be taking. One mosquito bite could lead to a lifetime of heart break. Have you seen the pictures of those poor children?

Congrats! I will also be pregnant at the time of my cruise in a few weeks. I will be 20 weeks though and we are going to Honduras, Cozumel, and Belize. I'm not worried at all about mosquitos bc I don't believe the virus is what has caused the birth defects . I will be bringing bug spray as well. Have fun on your cruise! My husband and I are definitely excited for ours!!!

I think it would be prudent to cancel. But it is your choice to make.

Congrats! I will also be pregnant at the time of my cruise in a few weeks. I will be 20 weeks though and we are going to Honduras, Cozumel, and Belize. I'm not worried at all about mosquitos bc I don't believe the virus is what has caused the birth defects . I will be bringing bug spray as well. Have fun on your cruise! My husband and I are definitely excited for ours!!!

You think it is a hoax? There are mosquitos in Cozumel, Belize and Honduras. There have been suspected cases of Zika near Cozumel.

If I were pregnant, which is an impossibility, I would never be taking the chance you will be taking. One mosquito bite could lead to a lifetime of heart break. Have you seen the pictures of those poor children?

I think it would be prudent to cancel. But it is your choice to make.

I agree with both of these.

Jeez.... i cant believe this got posted. Mosquitos don't live at sea.

This is almost as bad as the the lady I heard in CoCo Cay ask why Royal didn't take the jelly fish out of the water before the ship arrived.....

Edited by Deptacon

With respect, I have done my homework and have decided that I can absolutely be safe if I take the proper precautions. There have been no birth defects from zika cases in pregnant women in Mexico. None. There's been no Zika in the particular state of Mexico that I am going. There's no zika in belize.

I check on this daily. If things change, we will adjust our plans accordingly. If anything, I am already being very cautious as I do not plan to disembark in Belize.

Jeez.... i cant believe this got posted. Mosquitos don't live at sea.

This is almost as bad as the the lady I heard in CoCo Cay ask why Royal didn't take the jelly fish out of the water before the ship arrived.....

Mosquitos don't live at sea but the ships call at ports and those mentioned, Cozumel, Belize and Honduras have mosquitos. Not great mosquito control as they are in jungle zones.

The first lady mentioned swimming with Dolphins. One of the Dolphin places is at Chankanaab Park. Nice big lagoon inside the park with iguanas and mosquitos.

We too had a family reunion cruise and celebration of my 60th. birthday last month. All my remaining family were coming, along with our son - only child - his wife and our Grandbaby. We were So excited about this cruise. Then we read about the risks of Zika, and cancelled our son's family since our daughter-in-law is pregnant - 16 weeks the day we left. Were we disappointed that they were not able to join us? Of course we were, and they were so sad to have to miss the cruise. BUT ..... how on earth could they risk the life of their unborn child just in order to enjoy a one week vacation? They, and we, could never have lived with ourselves if we deliberately put this baby in harms way. Part of being a parent is sacrificing what you really want to do, in order to do what you need to do.

We have been to Cozumel several times and have never been bothered by mosquitoes.

I guess it just depends on where you're going in Cozumel. In May of 2014, my wife and I went to Cozumel during a time of high incidence of Chikungunya Fever (spread by infected mosquitoes). We took a can of Off with us on the cruise but we forgot and left it in our cabin and didn't apply it before we got off the ship. We did the ATV excursion that day. The weather was great that day with the sun shining but the trails were very wet. They told us that it had been raining all of the previous week. Halfway through the trails, everyone gets off their ATV to sample traditional chips and salsa. My wife and I looked at each other and we were COVERED (arms and legs) with mosquitoes.

For the next week, we were so worried we might have been infected with something but we were lucky and never had any symptoms. Had we remembered the Off, I don't think we would've had them on us. Also, we only buy the Deep Woods Off because it has a much higher concentration of Deet than the other ones. Just be careful because some people have had really bad reactions to Deet but it's always been fine on us.