advice on tipping in Diamond loung please

We tip at the end of the cruise and the amount is the equivalent of $1 per drink at least. If we use the drinks from our S&S card, we tip the bartender $1 per drink.

We tip the Concierge especially if he/she chats with us while we are enjoying cocktails and some have even served us. If the Concierge just sits at his/her desk, ignoring us, we still tip a small amount.

I have found the Concierge in the DL seem to be more friendly than those in the CL so we prefer to go to the Diamond Lounge. I also feel the guests are more friendly in the DL.

I am from Germany, but I know how tipping works in the USA. We always tip 1 USD per drink.

Tipping is very different in Europe/Germany. Say your bill is 47 EUR(USD) in Germany, you will tip maybe 3 EUR to round it up. Cause tipps are already included in our prices. So additional tips in Germany are about 5-8%.

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

We tip at the end of the cruise and the amount is the equivalent of $1 per drink at least. If we use the drinks from our S&S card, we tip the bartender $1 per drink.

We tip the Concierge especially if he/she chats with us while we are enjoying cocktails and some have even served us. If the Concierge just sits at his/her desk, ignoring us, we still tip a small amount.

I have found the Concierge in the DL seem to be more friendly than those in the CL so we prefer to go to the Diamond Lounge. I also feel the guests are more friendly in the DL.

Why would you tip the Concierge if s/he sits at their desk and ignores you?

In general, the service by the waiters in the Diamond and Concierge Lounges is always EXCELLENT.

Whether you tip them for each drink, each night, or at the end of the cruise is irrelevant. Just be sure to tip them!

We always tip at the end of the cruise. On just about all of our cruises, the waiters will be the same for the entire cruise. This makes it much simpler. We also remember to cite the names of those who were excellent in out cruise evaluation email.

Why would you tip the Concierge if s/he sits at their desk and ignores you?

Agree with you on this point. The majority of concierges do their jobs well and make it a point to interact.

We have also encountered some who spend their entire time behind their computer screens. In this case, we simply add a little to what we give to the hard working bar servers.

WE tip about $5 per night to the bartenders and then $20.00 per bartender on the last night in the CL and DL. We always tip the Concierge's anywhere from $25-100 depending on how much they have done for us. WE have always been treated great except on the Freedom in which we will never sail on her again if Rahul is the Concierge.

Edited by Colorado Babe

When it was only the Diamond Lounge or Concierge Lounge, we pretty much knew that we would have the same servers each night and tipped at the end.

The drink passes are good for us as it means that we can stay put at the pool bar or get dressed and visit an inside bar/lounge or the Diamond Lounge. Therefore, I bring along a good supply of single dollar bills and pass them out each night as we see fit. I wouldn't want to leave anyone out.

On our Vision cruise, the DL concierge earned his tip and then some. There were a lot of D and above onboard (like 400) so we overflowed into the lounge. The concierge (can't remember his name) was making as many drinks as the bar waiters in the lounge were for at least the first couple of hours every evening. We tipped him and both of the bar waiters working the DL very well at the end. We've had some cruises where the concierge spends all his time with the more regular and higher status cruisers and those concierges don't get as much if anything (depending on whether they did anything for us). Some concierges need to learn not to let some cruisers dominate most of their time and not to show so much favoritism to a few.

When RCL first loaded SP with three drinks, waiters in the lounges always gave you the receipt which was zeroed out. We would add a tip and sign. This past Dec on the Explorer in New Zealand, drinks were served but we never received a receipt. Anyone else experience similar lately?

When RCL first loaded SP with three drinks, waiters in the lounges always gave you the receipt which was zeroed out. We would add a tip and sign. This past Dec on the Explorer in New Zealand, drinks were served but we never received a receipt. Anyone else experience similar lately?

When we are ordering a drink at a bar from our free Diamond drinks on our Sea Pass, I just ask for "Could I please have a Chardonnay from the Diamond list, and could I please have a receipt to add a tip." Believe, me they are more then happy to comply!

When we are ordering a drink at a bar from our free Diamond drinks on our Sea Pass, I just ask for "Could I please have a Chardonnay from the Diamond list, and could I please have a receipt to add a tip." Believe, me they are more then happy to comply!

Honestly, where else can $1 get you so much positive feedback. It makes tipping enjoyable.

The concierges on the Vision are top notch. V in the Diamond lounge and MJ in the CL.

I going on the Vision in a couple of weeks to see MJ one last time before the Vision is gone from Florida.

Too bad V is on vacation. :-).

FYI when V gets back, he loves chocolate. I always bring him some when I know he's going to be on the ship. He is such a sweetie.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been Diamond on RCCL and Elite on Celebrity for about as long as they have been doing this free drinks thing.

Tipping for this service has always been confusing to most people--whether you come from a tipping culture or not...

What most people don't quite understand is that the waiters in these lounges actually ARE compensated--by RCCL. Just like you never see the cost for the drink, you also don't see the gratuity. But, the waiters certainly aren't working these rooms for free...and they are NOT getting less for being assigned there than they would be working in an "ordinary" bar or lounge...

However, it has been customary that we Diamond cruisers tend to tip them an additional amount...and, of course, they are worth it--because the service is typically that much above and beyond. So, really, they end up making more than usual for working these rooms...

That said, what I have always done, is to wait until the last night of the cruise. Ordinarily, any other night, I do NOT carry money around with me on the ship...Why should I?...the idea is for the cruise to be cashless. I also find it a little tacky and awkward to be handing out a $1 bill every time a drink arrives. Often, these Diamond Lounge waiters are serving me another round when I'm not even paying attention. So, what I have always done is to get envelopes the last night...and give an appropriate amount to each of the waiters who has served me all cruise long...Say I am on a 7-night cruise and am in the lounge 7 nights (This sometimes varies...on Celebrity, for example, the lounge is not operating the first night of the cruise and on the night with the Captains Club Reception...so, it might be 5 nights) and I find my wife and myself having approximately 3 drinks per night each and I've had the same two waiters serving us equally, I'll put $20 each in two envelopes...Sort of an approximation of $1 per drink, rounding up or down--remember, they really are being compensated beyond this--so this IS extra...OTOH, $20 means far more to them than it does to me...

I believe doing this at the end--and shaking their hand and personally thanking them for their terrific service all cruise long means far more than just shoving a simple one dollar bill at them constantly after each drink...I am paying them for their overall service--not for the specific drink. And, I have no need to pay them constantly as if to try to win their service.

Other than that, I try to treat them well aside from the tips...These are some of the hardest working and best bar waiters on the ship--regardless of what or how you tip them. I have actually had some of them remember me from prior cruises...

Very much the same as we do. For last cruise in December (14 day) we tipped DL waitstaff $40 each. DL Concierge received $25, but we only tip DL concierge if we feel it's warranted. On B2Bs we tip at the end of each crusie segment.

Isn't that a bribe

I bet the staff hate the Non-US clients

They were certainly very grumpy on last years mainly British crowd on the Anthem.

To use the word HATE in a situation like this is disgusting,they may dislike the way other clients tip but I have seen very few US bartenders or stateroom attendants on cruise ships so just who taught others that non tippers are to be hated?

We have enjoyed two cruises with access to the concierge lounge. The first was on the Jewel, the second on the Liberty. I didn't see as much tipping on the Jewel at time of service as I did on the Liberty. There was only one server on the Jewel, but two on the Liberty. Regardless the servers took very good care of everyone, remembering their preferences every time. We tipped everyone well at the end of the cruise and received excellent service from both concierge.

That said, what I have always done, is to wait until the last night of the cruise. Ordinarily, any other night, I do NOT carry money around with me on the ship...Why should I?...the idea is for the cruise to be cashless. I also find it a little tacky and awkward to be handing out a $1 bill every time a drink arrives. Often, these Diamond Lounge waiters are serving me another round when I'm not even paying attention. So, what I have always done is to get envelopes the last night...and give an appropriate amount to each of the waiters who has served me all cruise long..

The way you tip is fine, but I wouldn't discourage others from tipping the way they want to by suggesting that it is 'tacky' and 'awkward' to tip after each round. Honestly, giving money to a worker in a tipped position is never 'tacky'. It's how they make their money.

I think it is tacky and awkward for you to suggest that the money means more to them than to you. It's condescending.

I have tipped all ways: end of week, per round, end of night. It is all appreciated, and I have never felt tacky or awkward.

My husband usually tips the bartenders about $1-2 per round. He is comfortable and does this with class and sophistication. Not a bit tacky or awkward. Gee, Steve, I hate to sound rude but your comment hit me hard.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app