Soda Package/Freestyle Machines

I am contemplating getting my son the soda package for the freestyle machine. Do you have to always lug around that mug? If you do not always have it in your posession, are you not able to get a soda? I can see my son sometimes forgetting to bring it and leaving it back at the room. If you do get the soda package, do you always have to only get the soda from that machine, or can you also ask for a soda can from a bar, etc.? I'm not really sure how it works.

I am contemplating getting my son the soda package for the freestyle machine. Do you have to always lug around that mug? If you do not always have it in your posession, are you not able to get a soda? I can see my son sometimes forgetting to bring it and leaving it back at the room. If you do get the soda package, do you always have to only get the soda from that machine, or can you also ask for a soda can from a bar, etc.? I'm not really sure how it works.

By showing his SeaPass with the soda sticker, he can get a soda at any bar. But those flavors are very limited (to what's on the gun). Only at the machine can he get the vast array of flavors and combinations.

By showing his SeaPass with the soda sticker, he can get a soda at any bar. But those flavors are very limited (to what's on the gun). Only at the machine can he get the vast array of flavors and combinations.

Ah..I see. Makes sense. Could he also take a soda from the cabin's mini fridge and apply that to the soda card as well?

Hi Abisha,

Yes, your son will have to cart around the mug as it has a chip (sorry, can't remember the correct term) in it's base that the Freestyle machine recognises and then dispenses the pop.

I have seen several of these mugs that have just been left on tables etc that have been forgotten by their owners. I would suggest that you put your sons name or cabin number in indelible marker on the base of it so it can be reunited with him if he forgets it somewhere.

Pete

Is there a waiting time to repeat after self-service in a fountain machine with those souvenir glasses? Can I ask for a soda in a bar immediately after being served by a machine?

Is there a waiting time to repeat after self-service in a fountain machine with those souvenir glasses? Can I ask for a soda in a bar immediately after being served by a machine?

The machines have a waiting time of about 15 minutes. But the bar does not. ;) :)

Tangential but related: how much is the soda package? I think it went up recently...

That depends.

My Cruise Planner lists the price as $8 for adults and $5.50 for kids including gratuity. Other people are showing $8 for both adults and kids plus gratuity. Needless to say I went ahead and bought my kids the package a year in advance before my price changes. :rolleyes:

I was charged $82.50 for 3 kids on a 5 day cruise.

Edited by dcgrumpy

We are going to get the Royal Replenish.. Is the specialty coffee that is included Starbucks on Grandeur?

The coffee beverages served at Café Promenade or a Lattetudes onboard would be included, and they may be Starbucks beverages. (I've seen signs saying Seattle's Best, so I'm not sure when you get an espresso-based drink, which you're getting. I'm not a coffee drinker myself, so I'm just commenting based on casual observation).

I say it like this because the beverages sold at a Starbucks kiosk (not on Grandeur of the Seas, but I mention this for completeness) would not be included.

Edited by Daghis

I have previously experienced the 15-minute delay for Freestyle machines between "refills". I really hated this. It means that you can't easily sample a little bit from each of several flavours in quick succession, because it's not a volume-based delay (e.g. only 1 full refill every 15 minutes); it's 1 cup read per 15 minutes, with a time-out for your refill session.

So if you haven't actually filled your cup all the way (e.g. waiting for the carbonation to settle down), don't wait too long before pushing the dispense button again, or it'll time out and you're stuck for 15 minutes with a half-filled cup (yes, you can go to a bar, but only for the basic varieties offered).

However, I did not experience any delay whatsoever with the Freestyle machines on board Enchantment. Not sure if this is a per-ship policy??

In case anyone has the bright idea to try another Freestyle machine...they're all linked, so the 15-minute delay is enforced ship-wide (this has been my experience).

Anyhow, it's a moot point for me because I don't expect I'll ever buy a beverage package of any sort ever again. Just too pricey and I don't drink that much pop or juice, I don't drink coffee, and I don't drink that much alcohol :cool:

You don't have to have your mug at Labadee either. Just show your SeaPass card with the soda package logo/sticker on it, and they'll gladly serve you soda in a plastic cup, served from 2 liter bottles. If you do have your mug, though, you'll get more per fill because the plastic cups aren't very big.

You don't have to have your mug at Labadee either. Just show your SeaPass card with the soda package logo/sticker on it, and they'll gladly serve you soda in a plastic cup, served from 2 liter bottles. If you do have your mug, though, you'll get more per fill because the plastic cups aren't very big.

thanks for the info!

The mug and soda must be one of the most misunderstood items on a ship. RCCL always gave you a mug with a soda package for as long as I can remember. I have a collection of them, still in their wrap. Every alcohol package also includes it. Then the freestyle machines came out, and RCCL thought it would be a great idea, and extra benefit to their guest, so they devised a way to keep it honest with a chip. The catch is that you must use your mug.

I drink Coke. Just plain old coke. I also drink alcohol. You can get basic soda at any bar, and in any restaurant at any time of the day or night, including all private islands. You do not need the mug.

However, if you want coke, mixed with orange and cherry or some other crazy combo, than you will need that mug. Personally, I have never used them on the ship, and am happy with my plain old coke.

Then the freestyle machines came out, and RCCL thought it would be a great idea, and extra benefit to their guest, so they devised a way to keep it honest with a chip. The catch is that you must use your mug.

Actually, the RFID-enabled tumblers predate the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines on Royal Caribbean ships. On a couple of ships (Majesty of the Seas for one), they had regular fountain machines that were also activated by the special tumblers.

This was in January 2011:

normal_DSCF0163.jpg

By mid-2012, it had been replaced with a Freestyle machine.

Edited by Daghis