Paying Deposit on Jamaica Excursion

hlauburn

I have been in contact with Braco Stables in Jamaica about booking a horseback ride excursion. As it says on the website, they require a 25% deposit when you book.

They get excellent reviews on tripadvisor, so I'm not too concerned about the company itself, but what's the best way to safely pay them? They said I could call or email with my card info, but neither sounds particularly safe. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions?

DO NOT send any credit card information through Email. I don't understand why this company doesn't have Paypal? It is easy and inexpensive to set up.

If the amount is small enough, you might mail the cash to them as that would mitigate your risk to the amount of cash sent only, but no way would I send any credit card information to any company in Jamaica.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Reputable vendors do not ask for money upfront.

I just don't think that's true. I've looked at MANY companies (in Jamaica and other places) and most require some sort of deposit. I don't think it's unreasonable to book an excursion and ask for a portion upfront...I'm just concerned about WHO I'm giving my info to.

The last time I booked an excursion in Mexico I bought a Visa gift card in the smallest amount value I could that would cover the deposit and used that with no problem.

Great idea. Thanks.

Edited by hlauburn

I just don't think that's true. I've looked at MANY companies (in Jamaica and other places) and most require some sort of deposit. I don't think it's unreasonable to book an excursion and ask for a portion upfront...I'm just concerned about WHO I'm giving my info to.

Great idea. Thanks.

It is certainly not uncommon for reputable (even the "best") vendors to require some dollars "up front." Great example is Easter Island Travel in the South Pacific, which services a tender port known for not always being navigable due to rough seas. Owner Marcus requires full payment beforehand (via PayPal). But, if tendering is not possible, he refunds approximately 80% of the cost (again, via PayPal). The "hold over" is to pay the drivers and guides something since they so often see the tenders cancelled.

We were fortunate recently to be able to tender the first of our two days there (Oceania Marina) and Marcus refunded 80% of the cost of day 2. And, in any case, "up close and personal" with the Moai was priceless.

Pay Pal YES; credit card NO..

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Sorry, KK, I agree with others that plenty of reputable vendors do require a deposit.

But you do need to research independent reviews.

And as per the Flyer's post, sometimes ships fail to make port (weather, gremlins in the ship's oily bits, etc) so through no fault of your own you can't take the excursion. You need a cast-iron guarantee that in those circumstances you'll get your money back perhaps minus an admin fee.

But as for the means of advance payment, I'd never quote card numbers or other financial info in an e-mail.

E-mail your concern & see what the vendor suggests - if he can't suggest a more secure method he may accept your booking without a deposit.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I have been in contact with Braco Stables in Jamaica about booking a horseback ride excursion. As it says on the website, they require a 25% deposit when you book.

They get excellent reviews on tripadvisor, so I'm not too concerned about the company itself, but what's the best way to safely pay them? They said I could call or email with my card info, but neither sounds particularly safe. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions?

Do they use PayPal?

. . .

This is not at all true. I have used many vendors all over the world that want a deposit up front.

Edited by zqvol

I agree -- do not give them your credit card numbers.

Jamaica -- JMO -- it not a safe island.

Not sure about Jamaica specifically but you are wrong with your general statement that reputable vendors do not ever ask for money in advance. I have dealt w many vendors that do ask for part of the tour cost in advance and have never had any problems with any of them. In general, I prefer to do advance payments with PayPal but if necessary, I pay with a credit card.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

The last time I booked an excursion in Mexico I bought a Visa gift card in the smallest amount value I could that would cover the deposit and used that with no problem.

If you do this, just make sure that you keep the card after you use it. Should the tour company need to refund you the money, they will refund the money back onto that card.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app