Anthem of the Seas goes SOUTH to Halifax

I think you need to say more, what are you trying to say?

It's March 5th and it's a cruise to nowhere really with a little stop in Halifax. So why does it matter if they go south then turn north?

The date was off, but they aren't going to Halifax at all and being rerouted again due to weather. I think they were making a point because CTN's technically are no longer allowed. Sort of a cryptic way to make a point.

Interesting. What should the correct terminology be that I am using? I view a quickie stop in Halifax the same as a west coast of hawaii cruise would view a quickie stop in Ensenda, MX. To satisfy US laws. What are they classified as? :confused:
The issue was your perhaps inadvertent use of "distant". Closed loop cruises from the US by foreign flag vessels are required to stop in a foreign port (such as Halifax) - it does not have to distant. A cruise from one US port to another US port (say Miami to San Diego) by a foreign flag vessel must go to a distant foreign port. Essentially "distant" means South America as long as you consider the Dutch ABCs (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) as South America (they are off the coast of Venezuela). No other islands in the Caribbean qualify, but there are some special rules for journeys that begin or end in Puerto Rica. Ensenada works for a Closed Loop cruise, but since it is not distant it does not make legal a one way L.A. to Honolulu cruise by a foreign flag vessel.

Thom

PS I see a number of new posts while I was slooowly typing:(

lol, I find it humorous how easy something gets going on CC , even if there is no reason at all to even respond.

This goes against my better judgment to just stay out of it. Anthem is on a cruise right now for 3 days, she is docking in Halifax but pax are getting of, they are doing this to get around the Jones Act

I live in Halifax and if any ship is stopping here today, GOOD LUCK! We have a snow storm today! It ain't pretty here today, at all!

Thank you for putting all of the other rumors to rest!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

lol, I find it humorous how easy something gets going on CC , even if there is no reason at all to even respond.

This goes against my better judgment to just stay out of it. Anthem is on a cruise right now for 3 days, she is docking in Halifax but pax are getting of, they are doing this to get around the Jones Act

They are heading south, not north. Not docking anywhere. Bad weather in halifax

The ship is not going to Halifax, and even if they were, pax were not getting off as it was just a 59 minute service call.

The date was off, but they aren't going to Halifax at all and being rerouted again due to weather. I think they were making a point because CTN's technically are no longer allowed. Sort of a cryptic way to make a point.

I agree cryptic and I don't think any point was made. LOL

Because there's like a blizzard going on in Atlantic Canada right now. Even though CTN's aren't allowed, what does the OP want? RCL to go and dock the boat in a blizzard? They're damned if they do and damned now if they don't.

Even though the CTN aren't allowed, because they can't safely dock RCL will probably either pay the penalty or try to be excused due to weather.

Previous posters are correct, that the CTN ban has nothing to do with PVSA, so that fine is a moot point, however, the fine is generally waived in cases of weather or mechanical problems. This particular cruise is covered by the PVSA, and only needs to call at a foreign port, not a "distant" foreign port, but will not be fined, because it is a weather problem. This kind of cruise may go away as well, since it is the East Coast equivalent of the old "technical port call" in Ensenada for the West Coast to Hawaii cruises, which CBP has declared to be in violation of the "intent" of the PVSA, even though it meets the "letter" of the law.

As for the cost to RCI for a missed port, no there generally is no charge for anything (tugs, line handlers, government officials), but there has probably been a deposit paid to reserve the berth.

Actually it's the Passenger Vessel Service Act of 1886 that control foreign flagged passenger ships.

The Jones or Merchant Marine Act of 1920 is for foreign flagged cargo ships.

Neither apply with a CTN as it is a foreign worker visa issue or labor issue from what I've read here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920

Edited by robtulipe

Actually it's the Passenger Vessel Service Act of 1886 that control foreign flagged passenger ships.

The Jones or Merchant Marine Act of 1920 is for foreign flagged cargo ships.

Neither apply with a CTN as it is a foreign worker visa issue or labor issue from what I've read here...

...(links)...

Thank you. You're a peach for posting this info that so many people incorrectly post as fact. :)

I don't think that would become an issue as the dock space has been pre-assigned for use. I can't imagine a ship would show up and the harbormaster be totally blindsided by it (for a regularly scheduled cruise that is).

As for payments to dock workers and pilots; I don't know how that works if a ship skips a port. I would imagine some baseline payment arrangement for readiness and another payment for services (when performed). I don't know.

Maybe ChEng will pop in and let us know.

PLEASE keep in mind they were not supposed to go east to Halifax. The large ocean storm changed the plans for the safety and comfort of the passengers and crew. basically it was not a scheduled itinerary.

PLEASE keep in mind they were not supposed to go east to Halifax. The large ocean storm changed the plans for the safety and comfort of the passengers and crew. basically it was not a scheduled itinerary.

Uh, this is the 2 or 3 day cruise after the one shortened by the storm. This was originally listed as a CTN last year, until CBP changed the rules, so, yes, this cruise was supposed to go "down east" to Halifax to meet the new rules banning CTN's.

Hi from Halifax!

1st of all, how did I not know Anthem was coming into Halifax today? I didn't have the slightest idea and I would of been very disappointed if I missed it. Anymore of these short stops in Halifax planned?

2nd, the storm hit Halifax worse than expected this morning. Wind gusts of 80km's and snow up to my cars side mirror when all they were calling for was 5-10cm's. So it's a good thing Anthem skipped on Halifax.

Hi from Halifax!

1st of all, how did I not know Anthem was coming into Halifax today? I didn't have the slightest idea and I would of been very disappointed if I missed it. Anymore of these short stops in Halifax planned?

2nd, the storm hit Halifax worse than expected this morning. Wind gusts of 80km's and snow up to my cars side mirror when all they were calling for was 5-10cm's. So it's a good thing Anthem skipped on Halifax.

To add to pilot boy's comment below is a link to a news storm about the storm. They are calling for 4-13" of snow.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/winter-storm-hitting-nova-scotia-1.3477515