Recent photos of empress of the seas in dry dock

Before rumour mill goes crazy, nobody got fired... I was asked politely to refrain from enabling pictures to appear on here, due to the scale and nature of those seeing them. I was never particularly thoughtful about what I took pictures of, and they prefer a 'nicer' portrayal of their ships I guess.

I was always playing the better to ask forgiveness than permission angle, so when asked to stop I obliged. Seemed a good idea once known for the pictures to disappear incase it did ever escalate above the person that approached me. So it was requested they were removed from here by me, and I appreciate that admin obliged. We had a good run, but nothing lasts forever... Smiling that someone else has taken up the role I played though, enjoy them while they are available, and don't worry too much about how they end up here!

Thanks for the feedback, and we all appreciated it while it lasted. Very glad to hear there were no lasting negative consequences.

Thanks for the feedback, and we all appreciated it while it lasted. Very glad to hear there were no lasting negative consequences.

I too appreciate the update. It was a good run, but as Dave sail all good things do end, and thankfully this had a positive not a negative ending.

Dry Dock Dave, not so interested in pictures as to why RCI booted many of us off at the last minute. Thank you for anything you can share as RCI has created frustration by only releasing a statement that seems more like an advertisement for Empress' new features than the details on why they needed more time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by coaster

Before rumour mill goes crazy, nobody got fired... I was asked politely to refrain from enabling pictures to appear on here, due to the scale and nature of those seeing them. I was never particularly thoughtful about what I took pictures of, and they prefer a 'nicer' portrayal of their ships I guess.

I was always playing the better to ask forgiveness than permission angle, so when asked to stop I obliged. Seemed a good idea once known for the pictures to disappear incase it did ever escalate above the person that approached me. So it was requested they were removed from here by me, and I appreciate that admin obliged. We had a good run, but nothing lasts forever... Smiling that someone else has taken up the role I played though, enjoy them while they are available, and don't worry too much about how they end up here!

Yes appreciated all the updates you posted my little informant has sent me hundreds of things about empress but you never know who's watching this.

Once again thank you for your update!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Dry Dock Dave, not so interested in pictures as to why RCI booted many of us off at the last minute. Thank you for anything you can sure as RCI has created frustration by only releasing a statement that seems more like an advertisement than the details why they needed more time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not trying to step on Dave, but since he was on the Triumph, I doubt he'd have any idea about the goings on on Empress.

Not trying to step on Dave, but since he was on the Triumph, I doubt he'd have any idea about the goings on on Empress.

I know why it is in freeport yes and why cruises were cancelled, I didn't know passengers were 'kicked off' but it never happens without good reason. If the reasons become known, it won't be via me I'm afraid

I know why it is in freeport yes and why cruises were cancelled, I didn't know passengers were 'kicked off' but it never happens without good reason. If the reasons become known, it won't be via me I'm afraid

Quite right, as someone still active in the industry and with RCI. I have my suspicions about this, but am waiting a bit to see if more nuggets of intelligence can be garnered before I speculate publicly any further. I'm in agreement that this was done for a very good reason, but I feel that RCI probably let the announcement of the delays go way too late, given their potential access to the ship prior to the transfer from a subsidiary.

The real reason is out there and slowly being shared…but it has yet to hit Cruise Critic. When it does the reason will generate a very heated thread.

On one of the earliest posts "ScottyG" gave a huge hint however most people missed it or misinterpreted it.

You, Dave, are wise not to state it on this board.

Edited by beachnative

The real reason is out there and slowly being shared…but it has yet to hit Cruise Critic. When it does the reason will generate a very heated thread.

On one of the earliest posts "ScottyG" gave a huge hint however most people missed it or misinterpreted it.

I was finally told this week. I will be interested in the reaction also.I've promised not to share either and that's how I'm staying. [emoji850][emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have family in the water treatment and processing business who said he was going to the Bahamas to consult on some ship work. No ship name was specified. It did make me find this thread though; I wonder if they discovered issues with the onboard water generation system that required extended docking.

Does anyone know what ships are currently in dry dock and / or if there are water generation issues?

I have family in the water treatment and processing business who said he was going to the Bahamas to consult on some ship work. No ship name was specified. It did make me find this thread though; I wonder if they discovered issues with the onboard water generation system that required extended docking.

Does anyone know what ships are currently in dry dock and / or if there are water generation issues?

Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2330365&highlight=scottyg&page=3

"It is not a marineside issue but is astronomical in size."

What could be "astronomical" in size? Maybe the sextant needs to be replaced.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2330365&highlight=scottyg&page=3

"It is not a marineside issue but is astronomical in size."

What could be "astronomical" in size? Maybe the sextant needs to be replaced.

He also said "...is the tall pole." What tall pole issue could be astronomical in size? Hmm...

He also said "...is the tall pole." What tall pole issue could be astronomical in size? Hmm...

"Based on the nature of the problem sourcing replacement equipment is probably the tall pole. "

To me that means getting the physical replacement equipment on the ship is the highest hurdle to overcome.

If it's out there why can't it be shared here? Any other hint on how to "google" the reason?

See post 537. To me that would certainly qualify.

Not to me, however. Given the short itineraries the Empress was going to do (if I remember right), a loss of water making capacity would not be "crippling", nor would there be any "long lead time" items that could not have been identified very early, or prior to, the drydock process.

Not to me, however. Given the short itineraries the Empress was going to do (if I remember right), a loss of water making capacity would not be "crippling", nor would there be any "long lead time" items that could not have been identified very early, or prior to, the drydock process.

Not being able to filter the water seems like a big issue to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by ctsharpie05

"Based on the nature of the problem sourcing replacement equipment is probably the tall pole. "

To me that means getting the physical replacement equipment on the ship is the highest hurdle to overcome.

I initially had the same interpretation in an idiomatic sense, but with the mention of hints having been disclosed, I figured hmm. Then again, I haven't had coffee yet so things may be off-sized.

I just went back and retread this and the other Empress thread and it will be interesting to see what the cause was when it gets out to the public. I have a guess, but I don't want to add speculation to the thread.

I initially had the same interpretation in an idiomatic sense, but with the mention of hints having been disclosed, I figured hmm. Then again, I haven't had coffee yet so things may be off-sized.

I have added a second cup of coffee this morning hoping it gets my brain to fire on all 8 cylinders.

I can certainly understand and appreciate why those whose careers could be impacted by sharing information do not want to share information; but for those who are customers I see no reason to withhold information or be so coy about it. Either way; the cruises have been canceled and the ship moved to another facility so that the problems that were identified can be fixed.

I have added a second cup of coffee this morning hoping it gets my brain to fire on all 8 cylinders.

I can certainly understand and appreciate why those whose careers could be impacted by sharing information do not want to share information; but for those who are customers I see no reason to withhold information or be so coy about it. Either way; the cruises have been canceled and the ship moved to another facility so that the problems that were identified can be fixed.

Some may have info whose nature could identify the source, e.g., someone in the company who could be subject to negative consequences.