If you could change one thing about NCL....

yeclano

As long as there are enough people willing to pay the fares and add-ons to fill their ships, NCL will continue raising fares and cutting service to maximize profits (which, after all, is more of their reason for being in business than trying to give their customers affordable, quality experiences).

There seems to be a definite trend on NCL- which will continue until they start seriously losing passengers to other lines who offer better value.

Haven't cruised NCL yet but I have read pretty much the same post on CC for each of the 5 cruise lines I have been on .

Pretty much word for word .

So I'll ask the same question I've asked myself, which are the " other lines who offer better value "? ;)

(Didn't mean this post to be an attack on you navybankerteacher . Sorry if it sounds like that .)

Edited by richstowe

Haven't cruised NCL yet but I have read pretty much the same post on CC for each of the 5 cruise lines I have been on .

Pretty much word for word .

So I'll ask the same question I've asked myself, which are the " other lines who offer better value "? ;)

(Didn't mean this post to be an attack on you navybankerteacher . Sorry if it sounds like that .)

Cunard, Celebrity, and HAL certainly offer better value, and, unless they have changed significantly in recent years, I believe Princess, Royal Caribbean and even Carnival. would also offer better value. Value is not simply measured by price - it is represented by what one GETS for the price paid. Yes, NCL's posted fares are substantially lower than those charged by the above mentioned lines - but what one gets for those low fares is far less. And, once one pays all the little extras NCL tacks on, the total comes close - but the experience stil falls short.

That is just my opinion: you should try different lines and see what you like and then try to figure what you believe might be worth paying a bit more to get.

If you have the time, and any interest in my opinion about NCL, you might read my review on the Feb. 21 Gem sailing.

Adults only area or quiet hours in the Haven. At those prices, you shouldn't have to buy an additional pass to Vibe to have a quiet place to relax or read a book. I'm not saying you have to banish kids, but some kind of compromise needs to be worked out.

Offer "Cruise Only" price so you get everything that is actually free, Complimentary Dining and Shows and so on. That is; no "Offers".

Then allow you to buy anything else you want; Specialty Dining and Alcohol and so on. This could be in the form of "paid for" Offers that you can buy now as for Specialty Dining for a certain number of nights.

Also offer an "All In" price for those that want it.

Cunard, Celebrity, and HAL certainly offer better value, and, unless they have changed significantly in recent years, I believe Princess, Royal Caribbean and even Carnival. would also offer better value. Value is not simply measured by price - it is represented by what one GETS for the price paid. Yes, NCL's posted fares are substantially lower than those charged by the above mentioned lines - but what one gets for those low fares is far less. And, once one pays all the little extras NCL tacks on, the total comes close - but the experience stil falls short.

That is just my opinion: you should try different lines and see what you like and then try to figure what you believe might be worth paying a bit more to get.

If you have the time, and any interest in my opinion about NCL, you might read my review on the Feb. 21 Gem sailing.

Value is subjective.

NCL's suite experience provides me with the value I appreciate.

To each his own.

In no particular order:

• Bring back kids pricing for specialty restaurants. Children who want to try the menu are NOT going to eat a full adult meal so it's silly to charge them the full price. "Oh, but they're still taking up a seat." Fine, then they'll end up with the free hamburger and fries. NCL shouldn't cut it's nose off to spite it's face.
  • Margaritaville on Escape should be free or cover charge, not a la carte. Too nickle-and-dimey for a cruise environment.
  • Cagney's and Le Bistro should be cover charge, not a la carte.
    Too nickle-and-dimey for a cruise environment.
  • NY hot dogs from a pushcart on Breakaway and no brown mustard?! You can't claim to have a NY themed ship and allow this to continue. Add knishes and big pretzels while you're at it.
  • Bring back the slide at GSC.
  • Build a port at GSC. Tenders are a pain for both guests and staff.
  • Provide some useful perks for suite guests. Old DVDs and butlers who add little value are not perks I care about. How about laundry service?
  • Make the Splash Academy more freestyle. If a kid wants to play video games and another wants to draw, let them. Don't regiment the activities on a timetable.
  • Don't shut down the Splash Academy on "at sea" days. Leave it open or at least have a chaperoned lunch and dinner time. Charge extra for it like they do on port days, but at least provide the option.
  • Bring back the fireworks or at least replace it with something. It's bad form to remove a feature and replace it with nothing.
  • Don't design new ships with so many "for pay" subdivisions. Do we really need two small theaters? Is a Haven pool and regular pool necessary? It's great for the minority of Haven guests, but you're screwing everyone else with that tiny area. The atrium on the Breakaway class ships is no substitute for the Spinnaker lounge on the Jewel class ships.
  • Stop changing the rules after the cruise is booked. Yes, I know it's legal, but it's bad form.
  • Ensure diners at Moderno get a taste of everything. Most people have never been to a Brazilian steakhouse, so they're not experienced at how it works. Stop serving the same sausage three times before they've been offered the steak. Last time I was on the Gem, they did it right: They were VERY careful to make sure each table got to try each item and they didn't load their plate up with more than one right away. After each item had been served, the server asked which of the items they'd like more of. They then brought ALL the selections on a plate to the diners. In the very least, warn people not to take too much. You don't want them to feel like they're
  • Serve a better meal at the Cirque show or none at all.
  • Add a true stir-fry station in the buffet. One thing I missed from my carnival cruise was the stir-fry area where you can pick and choose what items you want and the spiciness of the sauces. NCL has an Asian-themed section where they sometimes cook the food there instead of in the kitchen, but that's it. You can't customize anything. They just make a big batch of an item and dump it in the tray.
  • The password system at the Splash Academy is stupid. Change it. You have to give your password out-loud rather than securely type it into a keyboard. How is that secure?
  • Keep improving the iConcierge app. It doesn't work as well as it should. Keep improving it. It's a good feature that could be great.

Value is subjective.

To each his own.

If you compared fares you would find that what you pay for an NCL Haven suite is more than what you would pay for regular accommodations on the other lines I mentioned.

To get the sort of "value" standard on other lines, you have to pay premium prices on NCL.

Of course perceived value is subjective - but the basic rule applies: you may not get everything you do pay for - but you surely will not get anything you do not pay for --- and NCL's basic fares (which attract the overwhelming bulk of their customers) simply do not provide anywhere near what the basic fares - admittedly a little higher - of those other lines.

Value is subjective.

To each his own.

We do love the suite experience on NCL and find it a value for our $$. We are taking an anniversary cruise this fall- paying the same for an H7 with separate living room and bedroom and the 4 promos than we would on a 5 day RCL in an owners suite on a much smaller , older ship. Booked both, did the math. Can't beat the Haven experience for the mid-range price. Also applies when we sail with our 3 teens. Royal has priced 2 be family suites out of our range.

That being said- I truly wish that there were Howl at the Moon on all the ships! We have a very, very good time at these gatherings.

ENFORCE the 30 minute towel/books on chair policy at pool!!!!! Have 1 or 2 attendants put a sticker with the time on it when they notice people saving chairs. When they check and it is 30 mins plus past the time on sticker, items are removed. Personal items are put in an area when passengers can go get them. This simple customer service gesture would positively separate NCL from some of the other cruise lines.

ENFORCE the 30 minute towel/books on chair policy at pool!!!!! Have 1 or 2 attendants put a sticker with the time on it when they notice people saving chairs. When they check and it is 30 mins plus past the time on sticker, items are removed. Personal items are put in an area when passengers can go get them. This simple customer service gesture would positively separate NCL from some of the other cruise lines.

There is no 30 minute policy, except as imagined by CC posters. The dailies on my 3 cruises the past year all mention a 60 minute policy.

Great idea - but with staffing cuts all over, what additional cuts elsewhere would be needed to provide the attendants?

Yes, it is a huge issue. Many chairs have towels in them for hours with no one there. Whether it be 30 mins. or 1 hour.....ENFORCE it. Once people saw towels/books being removed, they would not tend to do it. This would also decrease any "discussions/arguments" passengers have with each other.

NO reserving of chairs after 30 mins needs to be enforced, total bs that most chairs are reserved but empty...I want NCL to move the crap off so others might use them, not getting into a peeing contest with anybody on my vacation because NCL can not enforce their own policies...

NCL posted signage

nclcruise178_zpsba1e1686.jpg

That's hilarious. Which ship? It doesn't surprise me that they would post one thing in one place and another in another. Then again, maybe not all the ships have the same rules? Who knows.

Great idea - but with staffing cuts all over, what additional cuts elsewhere would be needed to provide the attendants?

On our Escape cruise, there were always guys by the pool in yellow shirts keeping an eye on things, so it's safe to assume these guys were pool attendants. Then when we attended 2 captain's galas in the Haven, these same pool guys were wearing tuxes and handing out hors d'oeuvres and wine. Haha

id like a barebones price too! my $5387 cruise would be 3825 when i backed out the 4 'freebees' i was given

id become a more regular cruiser if they did this.

but if ships are always full, there is zero incentive to change anything

To be within the 1 thing rule I wish that NCL and all other Cruise lines were completely all inclusive and your price includes your tips drinks and where ever you want to eat.

LOL....they can't please everyone :D.

Stop changing things every couple of months (price increases, T&C changes etc.).

It's one thing if NCL wants to change its pricing or terms, etc.

But yikes! STOP changing the terms AFTER passengers have already booked, and *especially* after final payment (meaning penalties apply to cancel).

IF they are going to do that, then grandfather in *everyone* who has already made a deposit so the terms they PAID for still exist.

Better yet, just make any changes for *FUTURE* cruises, and have those apply to everyone.

How easy is that??

It's just common sense.

They are free to charge whatever they want, and make whatever terms they wish. But customers need to be able to know what they are "buying".

Oh, and make any changes/terms easy to understand.

Then everyone who does make a reservation will know what they are getting, and everyone should benefit, including NCL with fewer complaints.

THEY said it !!!

PLUS....one of my own....IMPROVE NCL COMMUNICATION..on phone, onboard, and on the website.

Yes, it is a huge issue. Many chairs have towels in them for hours with no one there. Whether it be 30 mins. or 1 hour.....ENFORCE it. Once people saw towels/books being removed, they would not tend to do it. This would also decrease any "discussions/arguments" passengers have with each other.

i would not find that amount of crowd/stress very pleasing. but then again i am not a by the pool all day kinda person. thankfully that appears to be a good thing given the situation you mentioned.

and i'm glad i booked haven :)

Ensure diners at Moderno get a taste of everything. Most people have never been to a Brazilian steakhouse, so they're not experienced at how it works. Stop serving the same sausage three times before they've been offered the steak. Last time I was on the Gem, they did it right: They were VERY careful to make sure each table got to try each item and they didn't load their plate up with more than one right away. After each item had been served, the server asked which of the items they'd like more of. They then brought ALL the selections on a plate to the diners. In the very least, warn people not to take too much. You don't want them to feel like they're eating food off a conveyor belt.

I concur with the above post.

Mike