If you could change one thing about NCL....

yeclano

I was getting aggravated with ncl making changes and increases every time I turned around. Well I wanted to try a new line so gave Royal a try. Yikes. Bad move. The food on Royal I found inedible it was so bad. On ncl never had a bad meal. The grass is not greener elsewhere.

The one change I would make would be when changes happen grandfather in all who bought before the change. Bingo everyone knows what they are getting. No need to worry if after purchase it will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

id like a barebones price too! my $5387 cruise would be 3825 when i backed out the 4 'freebees' i was given

id become a more regular cruiser if they did this.

but if ships are always full, there is zero incentive to change anything

I think you have an option of doing that even before booking I was given 2 different pricing when I booked my 3 cruises coming up and when I asked what was added, and was told the added gratuities of the freebies they are giving us if I'm not mistaken.

At home we eat rather well prepared (by ourselves) food , made from quality (but not overly pricey basics) served (by ourselves) hot and in a competent and timely fashion, without a lot of waiters rushing nearby stripping and resetting tables; and without having to wait at the entrance to the dining room for 15 - 20 minutes most evenings.

We eat one whole h**l of a lot better at home than on an NCL ship.

I'd rather be on a ship with waiters. No cooking or dishes to do. Just sayin'

I'd rather be on a ship with waiters. No cooking or dishes to do. Just sayin'

So would I -- but I'd also like the cooks and waiters to do a reasonably good job.

I love being on the ship where chefs (not cooks), wait staff and the washers-up look after me really well. They generally do a far better than "reasonable good job". :D

I think you must be looking for perfection!! :eek:

Mike

I love being on the ship where chefs (not cooks), wait staff and the washers-up look after me really well. They generally do a far better than "reasonable good job". :D

I think you must be looking for perfection!! :eek:

Mike

I agree - I also like being on a ship where food and service are reasonably good; however the food on our NCL Gem cruise was not the result of a "reasonable good job". Greasy soup, wilted salad, tough cuts of meat, and over-steamed vegetables served (often luke warm) by over-worked, under-trained waiters does not come anywhere near perfection.

I agree - I also like being on a ship where food and service are reasonably good; however the food on our NCL Gem cruise was not the result of a "reasonable good job". Greasy soup, wilted salad, tough cuts of meat, and over-steamed vegetables served (often luke warm) by over-worked, under-trained waiters does not come anywhere near perfection.

I am guessing the problem is mainly with the slop-jockeys:rolleyes: (probably with the head SJ). The waiters can only serve what is placed on the pass (hopefully promptly though).

Hope we don't have those problems on the Sun in a week. Feel sorry for you, hope it didn't spoil the whole cruise.

Mike

Hope we don't have those problems on the Sun in a week. Feel sorry for you, hope it didn't spoil the whole cruise.

Mike

Not at all - the real point of the exercise was to escape winter for a while, and sailing to the Caribbean from New York ( near home) is a great way to do that. We had ideal weather and great ports - the service and food were a disappointment, but we did not starve. I just think it is too bad that the only alternative from New York is RC's Anthem - which is far too big for our liking.

I think in future we will fly to a southern port and sail Celebrity, Princess, HAL, or a smaller RC ship. While NCL is convenient and inexpensive, the downside outweighs those factors.

Not at all - the real point of the exercise was to escape winter for a while, and sailing to the Caribbean from New York ( near home) is a great way to do that. We had ideal weather and great ports - the service and food were a disappointment, but we did not starve. I just think it is too bad that the only alternative from New York is RC's Anthem - which is far too big for our liking.

I think in future we will fly to a southern port and sail Celebrity, Princess, HAL, or a smaller RC ship. While NCL is convenient and inexpensive, the downside outweighs those factors.

Does Princess sail out of Brooklyn?

Back to the subject of this thread: the ONE best thing would be for NCL to stop sailing out of New York altogether, where their low prices have driven other lines out of the market.
You have certainly dominated this thread but I don't understand how your latest post returns to the thread topic .

If you could change one thing about NCL it would no more cruises from New York ? Seriously ?

The more cruises out of North Eastern ports the better, regardless of how much you hate NCL .

I would like to see those of us in the UK and other European locations getting the same perks as the American market - price reductions when they occur, opportunities to change bookings with no penalty and the chance to book as early as others do etc - we often cannot get brochures or information on future cruises until well after others and by this time a lot of the "bargains" have been snapped up.

Having had two cruises on Epic (first excellent, second a great disappointment) would like to see staff trained more (especially in the restaurants as to waiting etiquette), more inclusive perks for all categories of cabins - solo travellers like myself do not get offered such things as all inclusive drinks packages etc when in a studio cabin and to upgrade in order to get the extras means a heavy single supplement. A better system for pre-booking shows, dining room times and speciality restaurants is needed - unless you get your requests in early you will often be disappointed. Shore excursions need to be more reasonably priced and shuttle buses should be free in every port!

Would be willing to give NCL another chance but it would have to be a good itinerary, an attractive price and with some good incentives, having had a bad experience on the Christmas cruise in Dec 2015 on Epic.

These are just my personal views and I know others will maybe disagree

Suron

• 2 months later...

The mega ships offer Studio cabins, where solo cruisers can avoid the single supplement.

In my opinion, all ships should designate some of their smaller cabins for solos, not charging the single supplement. It is not fair for singles to pay so much more, to make up for a non existent room mate.

I noticed some of the interior cabins on the Gem were absolutely weensie, only big enough for 1 person.