Chair questions

LovetheCubs

Ok first cruise coming up and I have some questions about pools. They may sound dumb but we have no clue what to expect!

1. People comment about staking claim on a chair "early" on sea days. What is considered "early"?

2. Does 1 person sit with the chairs all day then?

3. If someone doesnt sit with the chairs will someone take them?

Thanks any help and input is greatly appreciated!!

Ok first cruise coming up and I have some questions about pools. They may sound dumb but we have no clue what to expect!

1. People comment about staking claim on a chair "early" on sea days. What is considered "early"?

2. Does 1 person sit with the chairs all day then?

3. If someone doesnt sit with the chairs will someone take them?

Thanks any help and input is greatly appreciated!!

The problem is people who go out at 7am, put a towel on a chaise lounge to reserve it and then don't show up to use it until after lunch or later.

No one sits with the chairs at all and many of us believe those towels should be removed if no one is there after thirty minutes. Let someone use the lounges.

The problem is people who go out at 7am, put a towel on a chaise lounge to reserve it and then don't show up to use it until after lunch or later.

No one sits with the chairs at all and many of us believe those towels should be removed if no one is there after thirty minutes. Let someone use the lounges.

I totally agree, however most people dont seem to have common sense anymore. And...I dont want to get hosed and not get a chair becuase I am polite and have manners!! :)

If you don't absolutely have to sit right by the pool, there are plenty of lounge chairs on the Lido deck. If you see one that has a towel or some other item on it (flip-flop, book, etc.) and it has remained unoccupied for 30 minutes, just ask a staff member to remove the item(s) and the chair is yours. Despite what some think, a lounge chair cannot be reserved by one person for the entire day. Should the owner of the removed item return at some point and start to raise a fuss, just tell him/her that you saw an attendant remove the item, and to check the lost and found.;)

You can use a lounger for as long as you want...as long as you're USING it! Hogging a chair is going out early, putting possessions on a chair or 10....and then NOT using the chair/s for hours!

It's perfectly acceptable to sit in a lounger, go to the bar,, or take dip in the pool, or hit the bathroom....that's all part of being at the pool. BUT...it's not polite or allowed to 'stake claim" to a bunch of loungers and try and "hold" them until you're ready to use them.

That said...if there are vacant chairs among the "hogged" chairs, take one of them! No need to be the "chair police" on vacation!

Just a note: if you are a parent with kids...the kids do NOT need nor will they use a lounger...put their stuff under YOUR chair! Only take what you will actually use!

Edited by cb at sea

If you don't absolutely have to sit right by the pool, there are plenty of lounge chairs on the Lido deck. If you see one that has a towel or some other item on it (flip-flop, book, etc.) and it has remained unoccupied for 30 minutes, just ask a staff member to remove the item(s) and the chair is yours. Despite what some think, a lounge chair cannot be reserved by one person for the entire day. Should the owner of the removed item return at some point and start to raise a fuss, just tell him/her that you saw an attendant remove the item, and to check the lost and found.;)

Best plan as it is with most cruiseline's policy. Just say the chair was empty as the pool attendant removed the items on it.

You can use a lounger for as long as you want...as long as you're USING it! Hogging a chair is going out early, putting possessions on a chair or 10....and then NOT using the chair/s for hours!

It's perfectly acceptable to sit in a lounger, go to the bar,, or take dip in the pool, or hit the bathroom....that's all part of being at the pool. BUT...it's not polite or allowed to 'stake claim" to a bunch of loungers and try and "hold" them until you're ready to use them.

That said...if there are vacant chairs among the "hogged" chairs, take one of them! No need to be the "chair police" on vacation!

Just a note: if you are a parent with kids...the kids do NOT need nor will they use a lounger...put their stuff under YOUR chair! Only take what you will actually use!

Great post. The main thing is don't stress, it will ruin your holiday.:D

Some people do reserve a chair for the entire day or a good portion of the day. Happen across all cruise lines.

Keith

On some of the lines, the pool stewards prevent the chair hogs leaving their stuff for too long without other passenger intervention.:D

What possible difference could the line make? A chair hog is a chair hog whether on Cunard or NCL (unless there is a line, or class of service, which guarantees rights to chairs).

the line makes a huge difference. NCL won't intervene. Other cruiselines have more proactive staff.

the line makes a huge difference. NCL won't intervene. Other cruiselines have more proactive staff.

I agree, In my experience X is stricter on the policy than Princess which is stricter than RCI. Perhaps it is the demographic but I suspect it is more to do with the pool attendants enforcing the policy.

Hang at the bar for the amt of time your suppose to hold a chair. Have a drink and scan the chairs you think you would want. After 30 min just go have a seat and take the towel too! If there are personal items just have a staff member take them.

What if I put my things on a chair while I'm swimming and it takes longer than 30 minutes for me to return. Should I expect everything to be gone? What do you suggest I do with my things so they'll be where I left them after a dip? (Please don't read that in a cranky tone, I promise it's not meant like that.)

What if I put my things on a chair while I'm swimming and it takes longer than 30 minutes for me to return. Should I expect everything to be gone? What do you suggest I do with my things so they'll be where I left them after a dip? (Please don't read that in a cranky tone, I promise it's not meant like that.)

Welcome to cruise critic. If you are in the pool, you will see anyone and you can just let them know. I am sure that anyone who sees you soaking wet coming back from the pool will not consider you a CHOG.

Only one cruise I was on had a huge number of Chogs, and it was almost impossible to get a chair…or so I thought. The people trying to hold a chair all day without using it much, usually do that with only a towel.

People who are swimming or getting a drink, etc, usually have at least one other item there, like a book, a beach bag, a hat, etc.

Sooooo….I just move the towel and sit down. It worked on that cruise. I figured if anyone came up and said it was their chair, I'd just say ok and move. There are a myriad of other towel-clad chairs to choose from. :D