Wonderful Copenhagen 2016 edition

Wakeup hotel Borgergade is cheap (for Copenhagen that is) and is located near the eastern end of Strøget and Kongens Nytorv (Metro directly to the airport)

Two thumbs up for the Wakeup Borgergade. We stayed there in July 2015. The location is great; the rooms are clean and comfortable; the staff is helpful and the breakfast buffet (which costs extra) is well worth the money.

Wakeup hotel Borgergade is cheap (for Copenhagen that is) and is located near the eastern end of Strøget and Kongens Nytorv (Metro directly to the airport)

I see wake up on google maps. and the price with the reviews looks inviting. which location is more convinient, or would you choose (since they are basically same $) Bethel hotel on Nyhan or wake up borgergade? is it quaint being by the boats on Nyhavn, or is it just loud? Do they offer walking tours that locals give to teach us about the city? thank you for your help. We are looking forward to getting to know Copenhagen.

I see wake up on google maps. and the price with the reviews looks inviting. which location is more convinient, or would you choose (since they are basically same $) Bethel hotel on Nyhan or wake up borgergade? is it quaint being by the boats on Nyhavn, or is it just loud? Do they offer walking tours that locals give to teach us about the city? thank you for your help. We are looking forward to getting to know Copenhagen.

If you Google free Copenhagen tours you will find there are a couple which are highly praised. The people reviewing said they gave a nice tip but you do not have to pay. We plan to do the 3 hour tour when we are in Copenhagen in October.

If you Google free Copenhagen tours you will find there are a couple which are highly praised. The people reviewing said they gave a nice tip but you do not have to pay. We plan to do the 3 hour tour when we are in Copenhagen in October.

We did the 3-hour Grand Tour with Copenhagen Free Walking Tours (with the green umbrellas). Our tour was one of the highlights of our entire cruise and our guide, Magnus, was both fun and informative.

The tours are free. The guides won't hunt you down like a dog for a tip. But, I have found that guides on "free" walking tours work hard--don't stiff them.

We did the 3-hour Grand Tour with Copenhagen Free Walking Tours (with the green umbrellas). Our tour was one of the highlights of our entire cruise and our guide, Magnus, was both fun and informative.

The tours are free. The guides won't hunt you down like a dog for a tip. But, I have found that guides on "free" walking tours work hard--don't stiff them.

We were planning on $25-$30

Wow, they have a nice web site. I booked my walking tour. Thank you scienceteacher (UTgrad too)

Hello Danish Viking,

First of all thank you so much for all your help! Your knowledge is ahhhmazing! My adult daughter and I will be in Copenhagen on May 30th. We'll be in port from 9:00am until well after midnight. Do you have a recommendation for either Mikes Bikes, Cycling Copenhagen, or Fairy Tale Bikes? Or have you done either: Red Badge Walking Tours ($15) or the Green Umbrellas free tours? We plan to tour the Rosenborg Castle on our own when it opens. Suggestions for evening? The Glyptoteket is free that day- which you speak so highly of...Sooo many opinions on TripAdvisor- thought I'd check with you! Becky

I love the Glyptotek so check it out.

Here is a short resume from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ny_Carlsberg_Glyptotek

Travel Man visited Copenhagen and used Bike Mike (well tried to :-) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfr08nL5cqc

I have never tried these bike tours so my only experience is this tv show.

I've been googling and searching to no avail. I tried the links in the OP but they were broken. I'm trying to find out if bus 26 runs on weekends and goes to/past Tivoli Gardens. We get in to Langelinie on a Saturday morning :)

Thanks!

http://dinoffentligetransport.dk/KoereplanerPdf/26-0026-111216.pdf

Page 6, lørdag means Saturday.

You will be using Indiakaj bus stop.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Langeliniekaj,+2100+K%C3%B8benhavn+%C3%98/Indiakaj,+2100+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.6967601,12.5970231,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dd08649a7d:0x4e7b478417fecaf!2m2!1d12.6005375!2d55.6984283!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252de6ee8856f:0xeb0e221fb2acd1be!2m2!1d12.5978873!2d55.6951972

Hello Danish Viking,

First of all thank you so much for all your help! Your knowledge is ahhhmazing! My adult daughter and I will be in Copenhagen on May 30th. We'll be in port from 9:00am until well after midnight. Do you have a recommendation for either Mikes Bikes, Cycling Copenhagen, or Fairy Tale Bikes? Or have you done either: Red Badge Walking Tours ($15) or the Green Umbrellas free tours? We plan to tour the Rosenborg Castle on our own when it opens. Suggestions for evening? The Glyptoteket is free that day- which you speak so highly of...Sooo many opinions on TripAdvisor- thought I'd check with you! Becky

It doesn't look like Danish Viking has taken either of the aforementioned walking tours, so I'll chime in.

The nearly 5000 reviews on TA which give the Copenhagen Free Walking Tours (green umbrellas) a rating of 5 circles are SPOT ON. We did this walking tour in July 2015 and our guide Magnus (I still remember him because he was so great--no pun intended) was both informative and entertaining. His commentary was not just restricted to the sights we were seeing, but also to the politics, history, economy, language, and social aspects of Copenhagen and Denmark. We came away learning so much about the city and country! We did the 3 hour Grand Tour and it was one of the highlights of our entire cruise.

Further, if you are doing a self-tour of Rosenborg Castle, as I did, then I recommend getting your hands on a copy of a Rick Steves guidebook which covers Copenhagen. (I got his book on Northern European Cruise Ports, but you could also get his book on Scandanavia.) In it is a walking tour of Rosenborg Castle, so you'll get some background information about the rooms you are seeing and specific items in the rooms. I found that the information in the castle itself was woefully lacking. If I had not photocopied this section of the guidebook, I would not have known what I was looking at most of the time.

Edited by GradUT

It doesn't look like Danish Viking has taken either of the aforementioned walking tours, so I'll chime in.

The nearly 5000 reviews on TA which give the Copenhagen Free Walking Tours (green umbrellas) a rating of 5 circles are SPOT ON. We did this walking tour in July 2015 and our guide Magnus (I still remember him because he was so great--no pun intended) was both informative and entertaining. His commentary was not just restricted to the sights we were seeing, but also to the politics, history, economy, language, and social aspects of Copenhagen and Denmark. We came away learning so much about the city and country! We did the 3 hour Grand Tour and it was one of the highlights of our entire cruise.

Further, if you are doing a self-tour of Rosenborg Castle, as I did, then I recommend getting your hands on a copy of a Rick Steves guidebook which covers Copenhagen. (I got his book on Northern European Cruise Ports, but you could also get his book on Scandanavia.) In it is a walking tour of Rosenborg Castle, so you'll get some background information about the rooms you are seeing and specific items in the rooms. I found that the information in the castle itself was woefully lacking. If I had not photocopied this section of the guidebook, I would not have known what I was looking at most of the time.

GradUT, thank you so much for your input on the Walking Tours, and copying Rick for the Castle. You have a ton of knowledge about Copenhagen! Thanks again, Becky.

I love the Glyptotek so check it out.

Here is a short resume from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ny_Carlsberg_Glyptotek

Travel Man visited Copenhagen and used Bike Mike (well tried to :-) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfr08nL5cqc

I have never tried these bike tours so my only experience is this tv show.

Enjoyed the video- kinda funny! We will go to the Glyptotek for sure..still trying to decide on which bike company to use...

Thanks again, Becky

Danish Viking - we're in Copenhagen for the day in early August. I am a woodworker and very interested in the Danish Modern furniture and furniture design. Do you know if there are sights, museums, stores, etc related to this that we might see? Thanks in advance for your assistance, Rusty

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Danish Viking - we're in Copenhagen for the day in early August. I am a woodworker and very interested in the Danish Modern furniture and furniture design. Do you know if there are sights, museums, stores, etc related to this that we might see? Thanks in advance for your assistance, Rusty

(From another traveler, not Danish Viking)

We have visited the Design Museum, located near Amalienborg Palace, not far from Nyhavn. The museum has a section devoted to furniture and photos are permitted. We enjoyed this museum immensely, spending an entire morning immersed in design, then had lunch in the museum café.

http://designmuseum.dk/en

You will also enjoy strolling the streets and viewing store window displays featuring furniture and wooden objects. My favorite shops were on Bredgade Street.

Edited by PNW Traveler

Ok.... I have a number of questions...

We will be flying into Copenhagen from London 2 days before we board the Regal Princess for a Baltic cruise.

I would like advice on where I should look for accommodation bearing in mind that we are arriving at the airport and departing on a cruise ship.

Recommendations of what we should see and how we should spend our time in Copenhagen would be great.

On our return to Copenhagen from our cruise we need to get straight to the airport as we have a flight to Bergen around 11.50am. It is important that we don't miss our flight as we are boarding another ship for a Norwegian cruise on that same day. I have been assured that we have plenty of time but not sure of the logistics yet...

I would appreciate any help and advice as we have not been in the area before.

Thank you

Sharon (from Aus)

danish king,

you are very helpful and clear with your answers. thank you! Do you know of any stores that sell used cloths or used home goods in Copenhagen? In the US we have stores called Goodwill that sell used things. We enjoy shopping used goods. Thank you again:)

We will be flying into Copenhagen from London 2 days before we board the Regal Princess for a Baltic cruise.

I would like advice on where I should look for accommodation bearing in mind that we are arriving at the airport and departing on a cruise ship.

Recommendations of what we should see and how we should spend our time in Copenhagen would be great.

On our return to Copenhagen from our cruise we need to get straight to the airport as we have a flight to Bergen around 11.50am. It is important that we don't miss our flight as we are boarding another ship for a Norwegian cruise on that same day. I have been assured that we have plenty of time but not sure of the logistics yet...

Thank you

Sharon (from Aus)

A hotel around Tivoli or Kongens Nytorv will place you near a station with direct access to the airport.

If you want to use the 25/27 bus out to your ship then its better to be located near the central station as you can get directly on a train to Østerport station from where both bus 25 and 27 departs from.

So search for a hotel in this area.

Scandic Copenhagen, Weber and Palace, The Square, Hotel Imperial, Nimb, Cabinn City, Absalon, Urban House, Radisson Blu Royal, Ascot, Hotel Alexandra etc etc etc.

danish king,

you are very helpful and clear with your answers. thank you! Do you know of any stores that sell used cloths or used home goods in Copenhagen? In the US we have stores called Goodwill that sell used things. We enjoy shopping used goods. Thank you again:)

Red Cross has a store on Vestergade 2B

Folkekirkens Nødhjælp has a store on Fiolstræde 28

Visit Copenhagen has a top 10

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/shopping/vintage-second-hand

Thank you

Sharon (from Aus)

1. We had the same itinerary as you--arrive at airport, 2 days in Copenhagen, cruise, depart from cruise ship. If you want a budget hotel choice, look at the Wakeup Borgergade (where we stayed) or the Bethel Hotel in the Kongens Nytorv area. From the airport, you just take the train to Kongens Nytorv and walk to your hotel. From your hotel to the airport, you take the 26 bus (which stops in several places around Kongens Nytorv) to Osterport and then take the 27 bus to Oceankaj. From the cruise port to the airport, you can take the special 25 cruise day bus to Norreport and the train to the airport. Of course, taxis are always an option, but using public transportation is cheap and easy, provided you don't have a ton of luggage.

2. On debarkation day, we did self-debarkation and public transporation to get to the airport. We were off the ship around 8am and the bus left between 8:30 and 8:45 am. We were at the airport and through customs and immigration by 10:30 am. We sat around over an hour until our flight boarded. So, you should be able to make a 11:50 am flight if you do self-debarkation.

3. As far as things to see and do in Copenhagen, I highly recommend Rick Steves' Northern European Cruise Ports (for all the ports you visit on a Baltic cruise) or Rick Steves' Scandanavia. Both books can be ordered from Amazon if your local bookstores don't carry them. Not only does he describe the various things to see and do in Copenhagen, he rates them as far as what's most worth seeing and what's less worth seeing. There are also self-guided walking tours for various parts of the city and for the museums and castles.

(From another traveler, not Danish Viking)

We have visited the Design Museum, located near Amalienborg Palace, not far from Nyhavn. The museum has a section devoted to furniture and photos are permitted. We enjoyed this museum immensely, spending an entire morning immersed in design, then had lunch in the museum café.

http://designmuseum.dk/en

You will also enjoy strolling the streets and viewing store window displays featuring furniture and wooden objects. My favorite shops were on Bredgade Street.

PNW Traveler- that's just what I was looking for, thanks! Rusty

1. We had the same itinerary as you--arrive at airport, 2 days in Copenhagen, cruise, depart from cruise ship. If you want a budget hotel choice, look at the Wakeup Borgergade (where we stayed) or the Bethel Hotel in the Kongens Nytorv area. From the airport, you just take the train to Kongens Nytorv and walk to your hotel. From your hotel to the airport, you take the 26 bus (which stops in several places around Kongens Nytorv) to Osterport and then take the 27 bus to Oceankaj. From the cruise port to the airport, you can take the special 25 cruise day bus to Norreport and the train to the airport. Of course, taxis are always an option, but using public transportation is cheap and easy, provided you don't have a ton of luggage.

2. On debarkation day, we did self-debarkation and public transporation to get to the airport. We were off the ship around 8am and the bus left between 8:30 and 8:45 am. We were at the airport and through customs and immigration by 10:30 am. We sat around over an hour until our flight boarded. So, you should be able to make a 11:50 am flight if you do self-debarkation.

3. As far as things to see and do in Copenhagen, I highly recommend Rick Steves' Northern European Cruise Ports (for all the ports you visit on a Baltic cruise) or Rick Steves' Scandanavia. Both books can be ordered from Amazon if your local bookstores don't carry them. Not only does he describe the various things to see and do in Copenhagen, he rates them as far as what's most worth seeing and what's less worth seeing. There are also self-guided walking tours for various parts of the city and for the museums and castles.

Fantastic info.... Just what I was looking for. I am assuming you can take a suitcase each on the bus?? Do you know how expensive the taxis are? I assume they are waiting at the cruise port when we disembark?

Do you have any suggestions as to what is a MUST SEE or do in Cooenhagen??

Thanks again for all your info.

Kind regards

Sharon

A hotel around Tivoli or Kongens Nytorv will place you near a station with direct access to the airport.

If you want to use the 25/27 bus out to your ship then its better to be located near the central station as you can get directly on a train to Østerport station from where both bus 25 and 27 departs from.

So search for a hotel in this area.

Scandic Copenhagen, Weber and Palace, The Square, Hotel Imperial, Nimb, Cabinn City, Absalon, Urban House, Radisson Blu Royal, Ascot, Hotel Alexandra etc etc etc.

Thanks so much for this info.

Kind regards

Sharon