Planning 1 cruise with family.... 5 of us, 2 teens

Hi! We are planning next summers vacation and DH and I decided to make it a cruise. Kids want tropical. With a kids with diabetes I want safety and knowing her food is good and we have goid medical care. So we decided to cruise. We can drive to FL from NC but want to make it a huge deal and fly down. We will soon lose oldest to college so want this to be a biggie.

At time of sailing ( June 2017) DD16, DS15, DD12 (diabetic). My EOY bonus comes 4/1 so we will book then. I'm thinking..RCCL Allure. 2 ocean view balconies (connecting). Eastern Caribbean. I've done 3 western Caribbean and seen those enough. Would love to see some new islands. Allure looks to have a lot of entertainment and fun to keep the kids happy. RCCL divides their young teens so DD12 won't be the youngest in her group, so she won't be bored and feel kiddie.

Any thoughts... suggestions?

If you are cognizant of a diabetics dietary needs, you will find all you need. It's up to YOU to choose the right foods.

The medical care on a ship is fine for bumps, bruises, cuts, tummy aches, etc....If there is a major medical issue, you will be evacuated off the ship to the nearest hospital. Buy evacuation insurance! It's an expensive thing!

This ship is PERFECT for a family...lots for everyone!

Allure was our first cruise in 2013. My kids were 12,14,and16. No dietary or medical issues so I can't comment on the services there. My kids loved the cruise so much they begged to do another one. We also did Eastern and had connecting oceanview balconies. The only problem we had ( which you won't because your middle one is 15) is that my middle guy was only 14. He couldn't go into the club with his older brother and refused to go into the "baby" club with his younger sister. He spent most of his time on the basketball court, but the friends he made were 15+ and went into the club at night so he spent his time in the cabin or with me and DH. My daughter isn't a fan of meeting new people and wouldn't go into the club alone so she also spent time with us. Fortunately there was so much to do. We did another cruise the year later ( tho on Carnival) and will be doing another one this summer ( back to Royal). My daughter is the only one not happy as she still hasn't changed her min on meeting new people , although she would be able to be in the same club as her brother and it would be the older club ( they are 15, 17 , and 19 now)

If you have any questions I will try and answer them ( if my memory hasn't failed!)

Lisa

Edited by mom2mnem

We are doing a family cruise next April and wanted it also to be a "big deal" I did have 2 jr suites booked and then after doing some checking the royal family suite actually was a few hundred cheaper, Never hurts to call and ask, never know what might pop up.

Sounds like the Allure eastern caribbean will be the perfect fit for your family...This class of ship as well as the Freedom class has always been the first choice for our many family cruises...

I also encourage you to consider purchasing a travel insurance policy as well.

A company that we have used is The Trip Insurance Store...they'll make sure you have the coverage you might need.

Contact Steve or one of his assistants :

(888) 407-3854

You can also check out their website...but I find it always best to speak directly to them for that personal touch and explanation of the policy as it pertains to our specific needs.

Enjoy this family time for the fun and memories it will give you all.

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

Life on board for a stable diabetic shouldn't be a problem at all.

The medical clinic on all Royal ships will be staffed with doctors and nurses with a minimum of three years of critical care experience in addition to whatever cruise ship experience they have under their belts.

Just make sure that you have plenty of all meds with you, in your carry-on, for both the flight and embarkation -- never in your checked luggage. Medications are exempt from the TSA rules for liquids -- just pack them in their own Ziploc baggie separate from any other toiletries that aren't exempt from the 3-1-1 rule. The meds will likely be subject to extra screening -- they'll swab the items in the bag and run it through an explosives detection system, but you will be allowed to keep them with you.

When boarding the plane, feel free to ask the flight attendant for a can of juice to keep with you in the event of a low episode -- that way there is no waiting necessary. You can ask as you walk through the galley, or ask as they're doing their many checks up and down the aisle prior to takeoff. Just mention that you have a diabetic child and would like a can of apple juice to keep on hand "just in case".

You can also request a Sharps container on the ship through the Special Needs department.

One thing to think about -- your kids probably won't spend much, if any, time in their room other than to sleep. You can probably save a considerable amount of money by booking them in an inside room across the hall from your balcony. Guest Services can give you spare key cards so that you can get into their room and vice versa. This just saves you from wasting money on real estate (the balcony) that they may never set foot on.

Enjoy, you'll have a blast!

Thank you all for the great advice. We have done weekends in Myrtle Beach and will do a Mtn weekend this summer with DD12 but this will be our 1st BIG vacay since her diagnosis. I had planned on travel insurance incase she gets sick. I've read about the chance of gastro issues on ships and I know with her, if she gets a tummy bug - we're done. Thank you for the contact information! I will contact him and get that added once we book. She's on a pump so I plan to bring triple supplies and a backup pump the company will supply us with as a loaner (just in case). I over plan as a norm, even before she got sick this past summer. She has great control for a kid and I'm super proud of her. By then too, she'll have 1 (maybe 2) diabetes camps under her belt. I hear they get SUCH independence at those! I love the concept of VOOM so we can keep in touch with her and give her freedome, something we prob wouldnt do on an island vacay somewhere.

I'm so glad to hear so many kids love the activities. We are actually a blended family so DD15 will be turning 16 later in the summer. He's only 5 mos behind DD16. He's 14 right now and 6'2" so he'd pass for 17 if you let him. LOL I can see him spending tons of time on the sport courts. DH is just worried about having to scare the boys away from DD16. They are great kids though! DH is worried about the ocean balcony and one of them falling over. We cruised once just the 2 of us on Carnival and had ocean balcony (i love them), but with the kids he's nervous they'll go overboard. LOL He's a dork. But if we are connecting and we put the fear of dad into them, they should be okay. the 2 DDs are pretty sensible.

Excited to keep planning and learn more about our options... booking in a couple weeks!!!

We are doing a family cruise next April and wanted it also to be a "big deal" I did have 2 jr suites booked and then after doing some checking the royal family suite actually was a few hundred cheaper, Never hurts to call and ask, never know what might pop up.

Agree with looking into a royal family suite vs 2 balcony cabins. It was actually several hundred cheaper for a family of 5 doing it this way for us. Have fun!

Agree with looking into a royal family suite vs 2 balcony cabins. It was actually several hundred cheaper for a family of 5 doing it this way for us. Have fun!

We've done the RFS's a couple of times on INDY & Liberty (love that large balcony for breakfast)...Only problem I've had is couldn't do (monitor) price drops and had to be flexible with our dates as to when they were available...otherwise great cabin's.

We've done the RFS's a couple of times on INDY & Liberty (love that large balcony for breakfast)...Only problem I've had is couldn't do (monitor) price drops and had to be flexible with our dates as to when they were available...otherwise great cabin's.

This is driving me crazy. The price we have is it! And I'm ok with the price I'm just used to checking over and over before we sail.

Question about these. And not to sound ackward, how is the privacy for the sleeping areas? We are a blended family. Next summer will be 8 years for DH and I. We still act like a bunch of honeymooners sometimes.

Also, with 2 girls and a boy teen, are there 2 bathrooms? That's a perk of 2 staterooms (and 2 hotel rooms when we travel ).

We have not sailed in the RFS yet but I watched a couple of videos. The first bedroom has 2 twin and 2 upper berths so 3 kids could easily manage there and it does have its own bathroom. The master bedroom appears down and across the hall and is completely separate with it's own bathroom. I think the living room is right out side the master. Hopefully someone that has sailed in one will reply to confirm.

We to are sort of a "blended family" The older 2 kids are from hubbys first marriage and the 3rd from an opppssss shortly before we met. The "kids" really aren't kids as the older 2 will be 32 & 34 and the youngest 27 when we sail for our 25th anniversary.

We have made this kind of a fun planning thing and are acting like they are little kids. :) Unfortunately we were never in a financial situation to be able to do something like this when they really were kids.

Edited by mcchane1

I can't add anything re: sailing with diabetes, but the Allure is our family's favorite ship to date. You can find more info about the Royal Family Suite on the Allure here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/cabin/home.do?br=R&cabincls=D&cabinType=FS&shipCode=AL

Note that the living room also has a sofa bed.

We have typically sailed with the parents in a balcony and the kids (2 girls) in an inside across the hall, as Brillohead suggested. It does save some money. We made the "mistake" of putting our daughters in a balcony next to us on our last cruise and they are now balcony snobs. I can understand want to have connecting rooms for your situation.

I've looked several times at getting a RFS instead of 2 rooms but the price was never even close enough to consider. Since we are a family of 4, Royal won't typically even open the RFS to just 4 people until shortly before sailing. You may have better luck with a family of 5. My guess though (and it's purely a guess) is that you will not be able to get a RFS at a reasonable price for a summer cruise, since summer cruises are often fully booked. Never hurts to ask though.

We have typically sailed with the parents in a balcony and the kids (2 girls) in an inside across the hall, as Brillohead suggested. It does save some money.

This was an idea, with a BW view balcony... but I'd feel better being able to pop into DD12 and checking her in the middle of the night. DD16 is great at being mini mama with her though so it's not fully off the table just need to really think about it. Glad I'm not the only parent considering putting kids across the hall.

Question about these. And not to sound ackward, how is the privacy for the sleeping areas? We are a blended family. Next summer will be 8 years for DH and I. We still act like a bunch of honeymooners sometimes.

Also, with 2 girls and a boy teen, are there 2 bathrooms? That's a perk of 2 staterooms (and 2 hotel rooms when we travel ).

Privacy was fine for us...the master bedroom is just like a hotel room with a door that shuts and locks and with it's own bathroom that includes a tub/shower combo...the livingroom just outside this has a sofabed and down the hall near the cabin entry door there was the additional bedroom with two lower beds (that could be made into one) and two additional pullman beds and their own bathroom that includes a shower.

On our first two stay's in the RFS we were a family that included at that time our adult kids (3) and one of their spouses...the girls opted for the upper pullman beds the guys on the lower..They never laughed so much, they felt like it was a slumber party..

On our third stay it was just two adult kids and one spouse...needless to stay our son let his brother and wife have the bedroom and he took the sofabed in the livingroom...

Our stays on the Freedom Class RFS's gave us so much more room with that large balcony...

We have also stayed twice in the RFS on Vision when they were in their early 20's (just the 5 of us) but they are a bit cramped and that tiny narrow balcony....no comparison....

Now with additional spouses and grandchildren we opt for booking everyone their own cabin...Even recently, twice we were able to change to the FOV just before our cruises (love when those pop up online to book for less than the required # of occupants) to Alaska on Radiance for our adult child, spouse and toddler grandchild.

But don't hesitate if you can book a RFS...and enjoy !!

Hello-

I wanted to chine in - my daughter is 16 now, T1D, pumps as well. Dx when she was 12. I'm also an ER doc.

The first cruise I brought a mini ICU. I brought IV fluids and meds etc etc. Didn't need any of it. We pretty much don't bring much now. Certainly a GI bug will affect her more than someone without T1D, so just bone up on the sick day rules. Don't freak if she does get noro, just try to keep fluids up, use the medical services sooner rather than later. Unless she develops significant DKA the docs can manage the worst case just fine. Even I turn most mild DKA kids around in my ED and send them home in a few hours just with zofran and fluids. We do bring a ketone meter with us to be more aware - just vomiting versus developing DKA.

My daughter has a tandem pump and when we travel far (overseas) we bring an extra pump, loaner from the company. We don't bother when going to a Caribbean because we are so close and just bring back up pens and lantus as needed.

Be advised that most security still thinks all of the pumps can go thru, but Tandem specifically recs against this as it can change the settings. So she has to be pretty assertive about requesting a pat down. They usually don't even bother and just waive her through, but that's changing as she looks older.

This is your call but we tell no one she is a diabetic. Many people/culinary cannot understand that T1D and T2D are largely different diseases. They try to change meals to "diabetic meals" with no sugar added, etc. They are bland and just not tasty in our opinion. But with the pump it is irrelevant. She just has to inject for whatever she eats. My daughter's first hospital meal at the time of diagnosis was a triple sundae with everything. Endo just shrugged.

We have found that even the chefs have little idea about carb counts, so you just have to guess. Disney parks in particular will not even release that info.

On a cruise (in comparison to a weekend) her BG will be all over. Take it with a shrug, if she is generally good like my daughter is (it sounds like it) she'll get back on track soon after and it really won't effect the A1C much.

As far as activities, as long as there are other kids on board (not during school) they will be fine. Agree re the VOOM. Small price to pay to keep in touch with kids with issues - we are doing it for the first time in 6 days when we sail the Anthem. (Yep, we're adventurous!)

Feel free to ask or DM any Q's.

Ken

Edited by DIsneyDoc1895

Hello-

I wanted to chine in - my daughter is 16 now, T1D, pumps as well. Dx when she was 12. I'm also an ER doc.

The first cruise I brought a mini ICU. I brought IV fluids and meds etc etc. Didn't need any of it. We pretty much don't bring much now. Certainly a GI bug will affect her more than someone without T1D, so just bone up on the sick day rules. Don't freak if she does get noro, just try to keep fluids up, use the medical services sooner rather than later. Unless she develops significant DKA the docs can manage the worst case just fine. Even I turn most mild DKA kids around in my ED and send them home in a few hours just with zofran and fluids. We do bring a ketone meter with us to be more aware - just vomiting versus developing DKA.

My daughter has a tandem pump and when we travel far (overseas) we bring an extra pump, loaner from the company. We don't bother when going to a Caribbean because we are so close and just bring back up pens and lantus as needed.

Be advised that most security still thinks all of the pumps can go thru, but Tandem specifically recs against this as it can change the settings. So she has to be pretty assertive about requesting a pat down. They usually don't even bother and just waive her through, but that's changing as she looks older.

This is your call but we tell no one she is a diabetic. Many people/culinary cannot understand that T1D and T2D are largely different diseases. They try to change meals to "diabetic meals" with no sugar added, etc. They are bland and just not tasty in our opinion. But with the pump it is irrelevant. She just has to inject for whatever she eats. My daughter's first hospital meal at the time of diagnosis was a triple sundae with everything. Endo just shrugged.

We have found that even the chefs have little idea about carb counts, so you just have to guess. Disney parks in particular will not even release that info.

On a cruise (in comparison to a weekend) her BG will be all over. Take it with a shrug, if she is generally good like my daughter is (it sounds like it) she'll get back on track soon after and it really won't effect the A1C much.

As far as activities, as long as there are other kids on board (not during school) they will be fine. Agree re the VOOM. Small price to pay to keep in touch with kids with issues - we are doing it for the first time in 6 days when we sail the Anthem. (Yep, we're adventurous!)

Feel free to ask or DM any Q's.

Ken

Did a whole long PM but it didn't work, I blame cell service. Thank you, your message was awesome. We are pretty relaxed and want her to be a kid. I'm a project Mgr so feel most relaxed when I have a plan. Then if something comes up, I'm good.

DH and I are away for a night - just us and got to talk about everything. We decided on RFS and to keep it a complete suprise. We wull drive instead of fly to save money and tell kids we are headed to Keys LOL who knows if they'll buy it. Who knows if I'll be able to keep the secret. .. im.pretty horrible at that.

While we drive back home today (2 hrs away for a concert last night) I think I'll call RCCL and get quotes. How do people book this far out? I do Disney 11 mos out but I have dining 6 mos out and Fast Passes 2 mos out to keep me occupied. 15 mos of nervous excitement. .. lord help me

We have a 13 year old with T1D - she's been on several cruises since diagnosis. She always uses a ton of insulin on vacation, not sure why, but we bring two or three times as much as she should need just to be safe. Also, we fill a prescription for zofran ahead of time, just in case of stomach issues. Never had one - but the first time we skip the prescription will be the time she catches something.

Have a great time!

We have a 13 year old with T1D - she's been on several cruises since diagnosis. She always uses a ton of insulin on vacation, not sure why, but we bring two or three times as much as she should need just to be safe. Also, we fill a prescription for zofran ahead of time, just in case of stomach issues. Never had one - but the first time we skip the prescription will be the time she catches something.

Have a great time!

THANK YOU for the advice. Yeah i don't know why they'd run high. You'd think all the activity, they'd run a bit low. unless a lot of the at sea days are spent relaxed and lazy (vacation should be). Weekend days that that make us high.

I am officially waffeling. DH and I had decided RFS sounded perfect. In his words "all you gotta say is special sun deck with private bar, and I'm hooked". But then I called and got a quote. I dunno.... As much as I want to make this a Trip of a Lifetime. I don't want it to be all THAT $$. Those of you who can do it.. love y'all.

I sent DH a text at work to get his thoughts - no resposne. But I'd rather use the money (fraction of it) to fly down, that's an entirely other adventure we've never done as a family.

I don't know... In decision. I have until 3/31 to decide - that's when i get my bonus and will make the reservation and plant a big deposit.

You might find the Aquatheatre suite on the Allure right for your needs. It has two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a nice living area. Also a massive balcony over looking the Aquatheatre. Plus all the suite privileges that provide a VIP experience.

Worth considering if there isn't much of a price difference.

Don't feel like you need to get one of the suites. Connecting rooms are great! We hardly spend much time in our room anyway. We use them mainly to sleep and change clothes. Having two bathrooms with two showers, sinks and toilets is great. We're perfectly happy with connecting inside cabins for our family of 5, and spending the $$$ saved by extending our vacation (upcoming one is 12 nights), and doing more and better excursions.

Dan

Hi! We are planning next summers vacation and DH and I decided to make it a cruise. Kids want tropical. With a kids with diabetes I want safety and knowing her food is good and we have goid medical care. So we decided to cruise. We can drive to FL from NC but want to make it a huge deal and fly down. We will soon lose oldest to college so want this to be a biggie.

At time of sailing ( June 2017) DD16, DS15, DD12 (diabetic). My EOY bonus comes 4/1 so we will book then. I'm thinking..RCCL Allure. 2 ocean view balconies (connecting). Eastern Caribbean. I've done 3 western Caribbean and seen those enough. Would love to see some new islands. Allure looks to have a lot of entertainment and fun to keep the kids happy. RCCL divides their young teens so DD12 won't be the youngest in her group, so she won't be bored and feel kiddie.

Any thoughts... suggestions?

Looks like you are getting some good advice. Our DS(14) is TD1 and we have done many cruises. One cruise we had triple the needed supplies and once at sea realized we forgot test strips. Had to borrow a meter from the ship medical staff and buy their strips. DW and I freaked out a little at first but all went well. Also we do water excursions and he sometimes will switch to shots on those days. If you are calm, she will be calm. Plan, triple plan and then relax. She will be fine. (And we do any cabin, or combination that gives us two bathrooms).

Aaaaaugh! I booked!!!! I bit the bullet because of the balcony deal they have and booked before I got my EOY bonus. I'll pay my savings acct back. Got deck 12, mid ship connecting superior ocean view balcony rooms. They noted to have a fridge and sharp container in the room for 3 ppl. I didn't get the $50 excursions credit, but we like to go Rouge anyway and I'm hoping for other promotions to come up that allow me to reduce cost or add some OBC