Boarded Regal 3/6-never have I seen this!

unc84

We were in the Preferred boarding line up to go into the building to get our cruise cards & had been standing in line for about 1 hour or so.

A man came up to the front of the line with his whole party (wife plus 4 or 5 others) and wanted to cut into the front of the line

due to his foot being in a boot. He had words with the guy manning the line because he wanted his whole party to cut into the front of the line.

No dice, but he did let this man & his wife through.

Have no issues when someone has a physical handicap & needs special attention, but here comes the kicker ---

saw the same guy 2 days later running to catch the elevator & absolutely no boot on his foot or problem moving quickly.

Guess he either had a miraculous recovery on the ship;) or he was scamming the system to go to the front of the line without having to wait his turn:(

My husband has a pet peeve about people cutting in line, but the guy got out of the elevator before he could say something to him (maybe a good thing!).

We're at Elite level with Princess and I lurk on cruise critic, but rarely comment or post, but wanted to see if anyone had ever witnessed anything like this.

We had a wonderful cruise on the Regal Princess. I'm planning to post our impressions soon. Happy cruising:)

Some people don't have any conscience do they? :(

I suppose he had kept the boot from a past injury to use for these situations...

Wouldn't surprise me if he also had a fake handicap tag in his car too!

The person manning the line should have directed him to the handicap waiting area with instructions not to get up until a wheelchair attendant came for him. Once check-in started a few minutes of the line moving without him probably would have advanced his "miraculous recovery" a few days.

Edited by fishywood

It's not unusual for people to feel entitled and bring 4-8 people with them in the Elite lounge and what surprises me is the number of people who think that's perfectly OK. This guy took it one step further.

I've been on a disembarkation line and a group of people come up, one of them waving their black card, and tried to push ahead of us. My friends and I waved our black cards back and told them that they better hurry to get to the back of the line as it was getting longer fast. They insisted and we resisted. They stood around for a few minutes and finally got on the back of the line which was a lot longer than it had been.

It's not unusual for people to feel entitled and bring 4-8 people with them in the Elite lounge and what surprises me is the number of people who think that's perfectly OK. This guy took it one step further.

I've been on a disembarkation line and a group of people come up, one of them waving their black card, and tried to push ahead of us. My friends and I waved our black cards back and told them that they better hurry to get to the back of the line as it was getting longer fast. They insisted and we resisted. They stood around for a few minutes and finally got on the back of the line which was a lot longer than it had been.

That's good that you stood your ground with such rude passengers.

Thankfully most passengers with black cards follow the rules & they are some of the nicest and most interesting people we have met. I've seen a few who waved their black cards trying to go to the front of a tender line. I show them my black card & that they need to read their elite level benefits to join the back of the tender line without requiring a tender ticket. That's stated in every letter we've received in our cabin on each cruise but thankfully it's a small percentage who think that rules are not for them.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Why would you bother going to that much fuss? I guess he was very hungry and wanted to be first at the buffet ;)

I believe in Karma, what goes around comes around. Having had one of those moon boots years ago, I can't imagine carrying it in my luggage just to get on the ship a bit earlier. It takes all types. I just smile at their bluster and antics and think how lucky I am to be on a cruise.

Haha! Love this :D

That's good that you stood your ground with such rude passengers.

Thankfully most passengers with black cards follow the rules & they are some of the nicest and most interesting people we have met. I've seen a few who waved their black cards trying to go to the front of a tender line. I show them my black card & that they need to read their elite level benefits to join the back of the tender line without requiring a tender ticket. That's stated in every letter we've received in our cabin on each cruise but thankfully it's a small percentage who think that rules are not for them.

Yes, some Elite members really don't understand their benefits. Just got off the Ocean Princess. There was an overwhelming majority of Elite passengers on this 64 day voyage.

We docked a bit late in Curacao and there was a rush to go down the gangway to meet tours and such. While in the line there was one passenger who insisted that their Elite card allowed them priority and this wasn't even tendering. Anyway like others, we all pulled out our black cards and asked them "priority over who?" It was kind of funny to see the look on their face. We did take the time (as we were all in line anyway) to explain the only priority is for tendering and even that isn't to go to the front of the line.

On our second cruise my husband had a boot and we were standing in line along with my MIL and FIL. I porter with a wheel chair was walking down the line and spotted my husband and insisted he get in and he took all of up to the front of the line and got us in within minutes. My in-laws were able to check in as well. He then wheeled my husband (who really was quite embarassed at the fuss) to our cabin. He didn't have to wear the boot 24/7 so I'm sure there were people that saw him around the ship without it.

Now I feel bad about this after reading the first post.

This drives me crazy....I call it "arrogant entitlement".

One time, during a crossing on QM2, I went to the lounge when they were introducing the ship's officers. The room was packed; standing room only. A few minutes into it, I heard this lady yell, "Excuse me, I'm disabled...move!" The guy I was standing next to, he and I turned around and saw this lady in a wheelchair, but there was nowhere for us to go; it was packed, so we just turned back around. Again we heard, "MOOOOVE! I'm disabled!" The guy looked at me, I looked at him, we both shrugged and just ignored her. She went on and on, and never shut up. When the lights came back on, she actually yelled, "One day I hope YOUR disabled, and no one moves for you!"

Then we watched her spin the chair around, roll herself over to the door, and then she got up and walked out.

Anyone who has traveled with a handicapped person knows how difficult it can be traveling with a wheelchair or other equipment. It kills me when people try to scam that system. I also get crazy when people bring in untrained 'therapy dogs' where only service animals are permitted. I have raised guide dog puppies and know how specialized the training is for genuine service animals whether they are their for an obvious physical reason like blindness or a hidden reason like seizures. Please stop scamming the system and be grateful you don't have an exceptionality.

This is just the perfect example of what's wrong with society these days: It's that IT'S ALL ABOUT ME AND ONLY ME mindset!!! Whether it's cruising, at the store, the airport, driving, etc.....it's everywhere!!! No respect for rules or other people.

A man came up to the front of the line with his whole party (wife plus 4 or 5 others) and wanted to cut into the front of the line

due to his foot being in a boot. He had words with the guy manning the line because he wanted his whole party to cut into the front of the line.

Have no issues when someone has a physical handicap & needs special attention, but here comes the kicker ---

saw the same guy 2 days later running to catch the elevator & absolutely no boot on his foot or problem moving quickly.

Apparently it happens a lot more often than you would expect:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2016/03/14/fake-disability-injury-illness/81638118/

Its A miracle!!! Maybe he got a miracle cure in the spa!!! Lol. Seriously though, last plane trip we took with two connections there was a woman with her husband in a wheelchair. When we got to Florida at the end of our trip she jumped out of her chair and was walking better than I do! People just have to be first. We show up at 1 pm every cruise and smoothly get through the line. Life is too short for me to but and push and con to be first.

On our second cruise my husband had a boot and we were standing in line along with my MIL and FIL. I porter with a wheel chair was walking down the line and spotted my husband and insisted he get in and he took all of up to the front of the line and got us in within minutes. My in-laws were able to check in as well. He then wheeled my husband (who really was quite embarassed at the fuss) to our cabin. He didn't have to wear the boot 24/7 so I'm sure there were people that saw him around the ship without it.

Now I feel bad about this after reading the first post.

I agree.

I have a spine problem, my biggest issue is standing for long periods, not walking but standing, so at times I use a wheelchair (I was in one permenantly for 5 years) at other times using a walking stick, but later you will see me walking around fine. Niw the boot sounds a bit sus, but you never know, I had one lady challenge (rudely) me about having used a chair to board and later walking fine, I thought. The beautiful Mrs Gut was going to throw her over board.

Best advice I can give is unless you are their doctor kep your thoughts to yourself, you have no idea what they have wrong or even what pain they are going through to do what they are doing.

I'd suggest everybody take a deep breath, before you judge too much although I hear you loud and clear.

We travel with a physicically handicapped child. (Arthritis, TBI, and a severe connective tissue disease) and She's great for short distances or moving at her own pace. But things can and do deteriorate rapidly. We have one entire suitcase of mobility aids. Boots - splints - cruches - canes and other manner of devices. We don't know from day to day or even hour to hour what's going to work and what isn't. Yes we use wheelchairs in airports, long distance etc. while at the same time trying to keep her as independent (and nondependent on devices) as she can be. And yes we have a Disabled parking permit and have walked normally into a store and limped out....

Its unbelievable what she and we have heard from folks. Sort of makes one reach out and touch sometimes........... BTW how much does it REALLY slow one down if a disabled person boards with his whole family/party?

Edited by TNTLAMB

We were in the Preferred boarding line up to go into the building to get our cruise cards & had been standing in line for about 1 hour or so.

Guess he either had a miraculous recovery on the ship;) or he was scamming the system to go to the front of the line without having to wait his turn:(

My husband has a pet peeve about people cutting in line, but the guy got out of the elevator before he could say something to him (maybe a good thing!).

We're at Elite level with Princess and I lurk on cruise critic, but rarely comment or post, but wanted to see if anyone had ever witnessed anything like this.

We had a wonderful cruise on the Regal Princess. I'm planning to post our impressions soon. Happy cruising:)

I have a couple of thise boots if you ever want to borrow one. Woukd do everything in my poeer not to take one with me on a trip!

HA! Saw something like it but even better! This woman and her family cruises up to the front of the line in her wheelchair. There were 10 of them (yes I counted). They let them board before others. That evening, I saw her out on the dance floor kicking her heels up and no wheelchair in sight! Never saw her again in a wheelchair the whole cruise. Yep, there's low life people every where, and I do say something if I see it.:eek:

I'd suggest everybody take a deep breath, before you judge too much although I hear you loud and clear.

We travel with a physicically handicapped child. (Arthritis, TBI, and a severe connective tissue disease) and She's great for short distances or moving at her own pace. But things can and do deteriorate rapidly. We have one entire suitcase of mobility aids. Boots - splints - cruches - canes and other manner of devices. We don't know from day to day or even hour to hour what's going to work and what isn't. Yes we use wheelchairs in airports, long distance etc. while at the same time trying to keep her as independent (and nondependent on devices) as she can be. And yes we have a Disabled parking permit and have walked normally into a store and limped out....

Its unbelievable what she and we have heard from folks. Sort of makes one reach out and touch sometimes........... BTW how much does it REALLY slow one down if a disabled person boards with his whole family/party?

I agree. One never can truly know the whole story. I am a firm believer of this quote... Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -- Plato

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why does the whole family have to board? Why not the person who is in charge of the disabled one? Everyone is waiting their turn and the experiences I have endured (more than once), doesn't warrant the whole family to board before those who have waited. It's not only about waiting, it's about being honest and not putting yourself before others and pretending you have a disability when you don't. It just makes it bad for those who are disabled.

We probably would have not noticed that much or even

remembered the guy if he had not been so ugly & loud &

insistent that his whole party board with him. He was

very rude to the Princess rep & made a big scene about

it. I try not to judge others as you do never know what's

going on, but when someone is so blatantly rude & demanding

& treats the rep the way this guy did, you can't help but notice.

I'm sure most people that need extra help, really need it &

probably treat those around them with respect. This guy

definitely did not.

ar1950 - thanks for the link to the article!

I saw something similar when boarding the Royal on my last cruise. This group of older ladies with canes all cut the line and boarded first. They certainly put on a good act because I commented to my wife that one woman with the cane should probably be using a walker. They were also quite rude to the passengers and staff around them. Saw them several times on the cruise walking around with no canes and even dancing. Couldnt believe people would do that just to board first.

Scammers are everywhere ship. planes and trains.

I have a severe back condition. I cannot do what I used to do at all. I have had a few major surgeries. There is no "better" time for me. That's why we cruise. It's a little slower pace and I at least can swim. I would never use my condition to put myself in front of a line anywhere. In fact, it is better for us to be last in line than use my disability to be first. They gave me a handicapped plate but I rarely use it. Exercise is good for me!