Typical cost of a bottle of wine

sjf

If the wine list price is $54, then the wine package price is approx $48, A 3* mariner gets it for $36 and a 4 or 5* pays only $24. So, no appreciable savings at all.

You are correct. I'll have to revise my strategies once I reach Mariner 4* status. I only need another 186 cruise days. Shouldn't take more than another 13 or 14 years. Meanwhile, I will have saved $38 per bottle per day or $7000 in 13 years. That's enough to pay for a bunch of cruises.

Here's the answer to your question.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Dining-Room-Wine-Bottles.pdf

Strongly suggest your book mark and explore this site. Answers many more questions than you've asked.

Also, just off Westerdam last Saturday. We carried six bottles on board. As an example for comparison, a bottle of Coppola wine (Claret) sold on board for $54. Same bottle in Sam's club is $14.

Thanks for the link but I had to chuckle that under the heading of "Pinot Gris" they're all Pinot Grigio with not a Pinot Gris in sight. Same grape, different wine.

Thanks for the link but I had to chuckle that under the heading of "Pinot Gris" they're all Pinot Grigio with not a Pinot Gris in sight. Same grape, different wine.

You are correct but isn't that just another reason to bring your own wine?

People have been focusing upon the cost savings but I also mentioned that bringing your own wine is the only way to ensure you'll get the wine you want.

Does anyone have a link to the wines included in HAL's wine packages? It would be helpful to do some research beforehand rather than choosing blindly.

This may help: http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Beverage-Packages-for-Stateroom.pdf

Edited by Crew News

You are correct but isn't that just another reason to bring your own wine?

People have been focusing upon the cost savings but I also mentioned that bringing your own wine is the only way to ensure you'll get the wine you want.

While it's nice to focus on selection and savings when you're talking about carrying on your own wine, we like to focus on the cardiovascular and strength training benefits. First of all, you're carrying about 40 lbs (18 kg) for each case of wine you bring on. Assuming that you use 6 bottle carriers, you'll have 20 lbs in each hand - a respectable weight. If you do continuous reps as you wait to board, you should be able to get in a good workout. (Hint: Wear something short sleeved. It makes the workout easier, and you can show off your guns in your boarding photo. All those reps should give you pumped up biceps!)

You might want to weight train at home to help reduce soreness. Twenty pounds might not seem like a lot, but if you do continuous reps and you have a high boarding card number, you might be sore. Four & five star Mariners and Neptune Suite passengers might be okay, but other guests might want to pack some Ben Gay, Aspercreme, or Icy Hot in their carry-on. (Rub the balm in thoroughly while drinking two or three Wang Wangs for maximum relief.)

While it's nice to focus on selection and savings when you're talking about carrying on your own wine, we like to focus on the cardiovascular and strength training benefits. First of all, you're carrying about 40 lbs (18 kg) for each case of wine you bring on. Assuming that you use 6 bottle carriers, you'll have 20 lbs in each hand - a respectable weight. If you do continuous reps as you wait to board, you should be able to get in a good workout. (Hint: Wear something short sleeved. It makes the workout easier, and you can show off your guns in your boarding photo. All those reps should give you pumped up biceps!)

You might want to weight train at home to help reduce soreness. Twenty pounds might not seem like a lot, but if you do continuous reps and you have a high boarding card number, you might be sore. Four & five star Mariners and Neptune Suite passengers might be okay, but other guests might want to pack some Ben Gay, Aspercreme, or Icy Hot in their carry-on. (Rub the balm in thoroughly while drinking two or three Wang Wangs for maximum relief.)

Thanks for your as usual excellent advice and unusual perspectives. I only carried six bottles which fit rather well in a backpack that I strapped to the handle of my roll-on carry-on. If I had only known about this excellent opportunity for exercise, I would have brought more wine. I'm very sure the wife would have loved the opportunity for a good work out.

Crew News, thank you for the link to the wine packages. I suppose it's no surprise that I could find only one of the wines listed, the Caliterra Chardonnay, in the list of wines by the bottle sold on board which RocketMan 275 gave us above.

Thanks for your as usual excellent advice and unusual perspectives. I only carried six bottles which fit rather well in a backpack that I strapped to the handle of my roll-on carry-on. If I had only known about this excellent opportunity for exercise, I would have brought more wine. I'm very sure the wife would have loved the opportunity for a good work out.

Good point. I didn't even consider the backpack/latissmus dorsi workout angle. I guess that just goes to proves the old adage: "Wine. It does a body good."

Reading this made me LOL at work. I hope you are proud of yourself. You should be - you're good :D

Edited by galensgrl

I don't equate cost as the higher the better the wine. That is not always the case.

I really love Cloudy Bay Sauvignon blanc.

I was served Villa Maria and really enjoyed that.

It is the same grape and about $60 difference in price. HAL likely charges over $100 for Cloudy Bay now. It's been a while.

I happily order the Villa Maria and enjoy so it is not a 'high price' wine snob thing at all.

It is merely how much I enjoy the taste.

We couldn't find any wines in the package that were to our taste. It was not a price issue but limited choices..... especially given some on the list weren't even available. :rolleyes:

The Villa Maria sparkling Sauvignon Blanc is also quite good if you can find it

If the wine list price is $54, then the wine package price is approx $48, A 3* mariner gets it for $36 and a 4 or 5* pays only $24. So, no appreciable savings at all.

These are per bottle prices? If so, the 4* or 5* Mariner saves $30 a bottle? That would be a substantial savings. Or have I totally misunderstood?

Actually, many different wines. As Pinot Grigios are vinified throughout the length and breadth of Italy as well as in California & Washington (and also Oregon, I believe) they range from very dry to quite fruity, thin to full and round. HAL being Dutch, but generally following French cuisine, would use the French name for the grape.

These are per bottle prices? If so, the 4* or 5* Mariner saves $30 a bottle? That would be a substantial savings. Or have I totally misunderstood?

They get 50% off the cost of the Navigator and Admiral wine packages.

They get 50% off the cost of the Navigator and Admiral wine packages.

So, you would only get those discounts on the wines in those packages? Well, the five bottle Admiral package is $228 or $45 per bottle. You wouldn't see the wine I mentioned that is $54 on the ship in that package would you?

So, you would only get those discounts on the wines in those packages? Well, the five bottle Admiral package is $228 or $45 per bottle. You wouldn't see the wine I mentioned that is $54 on the ship in that package would you?

Sorry, you did mention the Coppola Claret, didn't you... That isn't in either of the packages. (That's what happens when I go away for a few days and try to play "catch up") But any of the included wines would be very reasonably priced after the discount.

The Mariner Four/Five Star discounts on wine only apply to those wines included in the packages. It does not apply to any and all wines on the wine list.

Before purchasing a Navigator or Admiral Wine Package, ask to see the list from which wines you can choose. The one time we bought it, we canceled quickly as there were no wines available that interested us. There were a few on the list that would have been 'ok' but they were not in stock on the ship.

One thing that wasn't mentioned about the wine packages is that they are discounted for those who cruise a lot. Four star Mariners get a 50% discount on a wine package. However, you are charged a 15% gratuity on the original price of the package. So, for example of the package was originally $200, it would normally be $230 total. For a four star Mariner it would be $130. Last time I bought the package it brought the cost of each bottle to something like $22. each.

Are there wine package discounts for 3 Star Mariners? For 4 Stars, is it all the wine packages that are 50% off?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I really love Cloudy Bay Sauvignon blanc.

I was served Villa Maria and really enjoyed that.

It is the same grape and about $60 difference in price. HAL likely charges over $100 for Cloudy Bay now. It's been a while.

I happily order the Villa Maria

It's crazy the mark up. I'm used to double, sometimes 3x in restaurants.

Cloudy Bay is $25ish retail and Villa Maria is usually less than $10.

HAL is charging $80 and $50!!

Are there wine package discounts for 3 Star Mariners? For 4 Stars, is it all the wine packages that are 50% off?

3* get 25% off.

I'm not a wine connisoure. Either is DW, but she bought a bottle "on sale" one time for $20 and I gotta say...it was terrible.

I'm not a wine connoisseur either--by any stretch of the imagination. I like a Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay but wouldn't be able to tell you if it was a cheap wine or an expensive wine in a blind test.

I have never bought a wine package before but think I may on our upcoming cruise.

I find HAL wine prices to be obnoxiously high, but that's me. The "packages" offer some savings but the selections within the packages are basic, generally inexpensive (at retail...not on HAL) wines. Buying a package only makes sense to me if you have a good Mariner discount. I have complained often about the HAL wine program but my voice is not heard in Seattle.