Miami Security Question

RogersRanch

He'd rather not bring his implant designation card but can if need be....

I don't see why he wouldn't automatically bring it anyway when traveling. This is why physicians sign them and give them to patients. My son had a hip replacement and he got a card. It's a "non-issue" at the pier, if you will; as stated, they are used to it.

I don't see why he wouldn't automatically bring it anyway when traveling. This is why physicians sign them and give them to patients. My son had a hip replacement and he got a card. It's a "non-issue" at the pier, if you will; as stated, they are used to it.

It just "one more thing" to keep up with and he's afraid of losing it.

I made a photo copy of my knee replacement card & take the copy with me

if something should go wrong it is better to have the info with him more so with a pacemaker

You simply ask for a hand-search. The pacemaker cannot be wanded, or go thru the metal detector. Hubby's had his for years...no issues! You just have to tell them why he needs a hand-search.

We've never been asked for hubby's card, but we do bring it...put it in his wallet with his other cards! Easy!

Edited by cb at sea

He needs to carry his card with him wherever he goes. Especially while traveling. That card contains information about his device..if he should have an issue, hospital staff/EMTs/medical personal need it. It gives the device number, implantation date, doctor information. This is stuff that they need to know.

I say this because I've had cardiac implant devices(defibrillator/pacemaker combo) since I was 17 years old. My card goes with me everywhere.

He just need to say to the security people "I have a cardiac implant, I need a physical security check" and its not a big deal. He will also need to tell the ship security people at any port when he reboards the ship.

He needs to carry his card with him wherever he goes. Especially while traveling. That card contains information about his device..if he should have an issue, hospital staff/EMTs/medical personal need it. It gives the device number, implantation date, doctor information. This is stuff that they need to know.

I say this because I've had cardiac implant devices(defibrillator/pacemaker combo) since I was 17 years old. My card goes with me everywhere.

He just need to say to the security people "I have a cardiac implant, I need a physical security check" and its not a big deal. He will also need to tell the ship security people at any port when he reboards the ship.

Agree 100%.

Just replying because several people have addressed the pacemaker, which definitely requires you to notify security personnel who will always accomodate a medical need.

I didn't see anything about the other item, though. My dad has a PICC line, which is used for chemo and that might be what you meant by chemo port. He went through security at the airport, boarding the ship, and returning from ports, without any difficulty. I don't think he notified the security people, even, but on second thought he probably should have.

Your parents should be well accommodated; mine were. They shouldn't hesitate to mention their needs to airport or cruise personnel. Of course I don't know what is difficult for them but there may be long walks, waits in line, stairs and so on. If that is any trouble for them, someone will be able to help -- you can get priority instead of waiting in line, there are always elevators available, etc.

Does he lose other stuff out of his wallet. If not, why would he specifically lose the card? If he does tend to lose things, can't his wife carry it for him. Also, how is he going to manage his cruise card on the ship.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

My husband has a pacemaker and we were on a 14 day cruise in January/February. He did have his pacemaker card with him but they never asked for it. They pulled him out of the line when he told them he had a pacemaker and then they used a wand to scan the upper part of his body. Very quick and not problem at all.

Does he lose other stuff out of his wallet. If not, why would he specifically lose the card? If he does tend to lose things, can't his wife carry it for him. Also, how is he going to manage his cruise card on the ship....

That's exactly how I felt but didn't say anything (until now, to agree with you). Hope Dad will be OK. :)

They're just tired. Tired of being tired. Dad is dealing with lung cancer and mom just had surgery on her wrist and they are in their mid 70's. I get it. It's really no biggie, just asking for them to know what to expect. Thanks!

They're just tired. Tired of being tired. Dad is dealing with lung cancer and mom just had surgery on her wrist and they are in their mid 70's. I get it. It's really no biggie, just asking for them to know what to expect. Thanks!

It'll be okay.. the security people deal with this stuff every day. The pat-down takes less than 15 seconds. Usually after the 2nd port, the security people recognize you and automatically pull you aside.

Its great that they're going on a trip, it will be nice and relaxing for them.

They're just tired. Tired of being tired. Dad is dealing with lung cancer and mom just had surgery on her wrist and they are in their mid 70's. I get it.

Aww, I'm so sorry. I am a cancer survivor as well, and props to your folks for even considering a cruise at this point - while I was in treatment (both chemo and radiation), I stayed very close to home for several reasons.

Can you go with them? :D