Bottled Water as Checked Baggage

Curious as to if anyone has ever checked a case of bottled water as a piece of checked luggage at the port on embarkation. I'm cruising on Indy next month and would rather do that than lug it around until the rooms are ready.

I have done it in the past but that was a few years ago and not sure if I was lucky or if policy has changed or not.

Thanks!

-Kyle

Curious as to if anyone has ever checked a case of bottled water as a piece of checked luggage at the port on embarkation. I'm cruising on Indy next month and would rather do that than lug it around until the rooms are ready.

I have done it in the past but that was a few years ago and not sure if I was lucky or if policy has changed or not.

Thanks!

-Kyle

Some report that they have no problem putting a luggage tag on the water and having it delivered to the stateroom. We've had a case of water refused by the porters before, so have had better luck with the case inside luggage.

As Bob points out, there are varied experiences with this. On the Freedom last week, I tried to slap luggage tag on a case of bottled water, and the porter @ Port Canaveral refused it...told me it had to be in a carry-on.

Others put it thru in their checked luggage and had to pick it up in the naughty room.

One thing is for sure- there is no clear answer or policy on this.

Luckily, we had driven to the port and the case of water was left in the car. For those who take a shuttle/cab to the port... be prepared.

How frustrating. When I did it last time and it worked, I gave the porter a $20 and he thanked me. I guess it's just a gamble.

Thanks for the info.

-Kyle

Put the water/soda in something like a duffle and you will have less chance for problems.

Any luck putting in checked luggage out of SJU lately?

last year's cruise on X had 'free' bottled water, before than CCL has no issue.

hate to go forth & collect a case, then lug it to pier if it will be tossed.

We sailed Adventure last year and Jewel in 2014 and Adventure in 2008. All three times we checked water and soda by tagging not in any bag. It was no problem. Last year we even had a full bottle of rum without rumrunner make it through while they kept 3 cans of beer and poured out a 2/3rds empty bottle of rum. It is truly random.

Thanks!

-Kyle

Did you decide what you will do?

Keith

Yes glad that Carnival sells it for $2.99 a case. Pre-order waiting in the cabin.

Actually have heard it has gone up to $3.99.

They started doing it as they were tired of checking if the bottles had something other than water in them. No bottles at all allowed now apart from the bottle of wine allowed on embarkation.

Actually have heard it has gone up to $3.99.

They started doing it as they were tired of checking if the bottles had something other than water in them. No bottles at all allowed now apart from the bottle of wine allowed on embarkation.

Still a bargain! I would not be carrying on any water if I could get that deal on Royal.

I always put 7up and juice in our checked luggage. not water anymore or coke since we get the beverage pkg so I get all the water/diet coke I want. But hubby likes 7up and different juices so we always take those. I put them in the checked luggage and never have a problem

We sailed on Navigator out of Port Everglades earlier this month and our case of water arrived in the cabin with our luggage no problem. Stuck a luggage tag on it and left it with the checked bags.

anyone had any experience out of Tampa lately?

I have trouble with the water onboard after a couple of days so need to take my own. And, diet coke for the cabin - with the other cruise lines we just slap a luggage tag on it and give it to the porter's. Never a problem - I try to be sure to find the best wrapped cases I can so that they don't feel a need to even check it. As I couldn't get a thing in or out of it without destroying the plastic.

anyone had any experience out of Tampa lately?

I have trouble with the water onboard after a couple of days so need to take my own. And, diet coke for the cabin - with the other cruise lines we just slap a luggage tag on it and give it to the porter's. Never a problem - I try to be sure to find the best wrapped cases I can so that they don't feel a need to even check it. As I couldn't get a thing in or out of it without destroying the plastic.

No problem with a case of water in a carry-on bag on Vision.

I really wish that Royal would follow in Carnival's footsteps and sell a case of water for a reasonable price, but since they have not we will try to check one next month at Port Canaveral.

We are driving to the port, so if they won't take it I am prepared to stick it in our carry ons and bring it with us. I'll report back what my success rate is, but I really suspect that it all depends on who you talk to on what day and what mood they are in.

I really wish that Royal would follow in Carnival's footsteps and sell a case of water for a reasonable price, but since they have not we will try to check one next month at Port Canaveral.

We are driving to the port, so if they won't take it I am prepared to stick it in our carry ons and bring it with us. I'll report back what my success rate is, but I really suspect that it all depends on who you talk to on what day and what mood they are in.

Our experience with Port Canaveral is that they have refused an obvious case of water, so I would suggest you put it in a bag of some sort.

Put the water/soda in something like a duffle and you will have less chance for problems.

That is what I do. One cloth duffle with just the bottles of my favorite water in it.

Put a tag on it and have received it every time. If it ends up in the naughty room,

I can retrieve it the next morning when there is no line (has not had to happen yet ;) ).

At the end of the cruise, it gets folded and put in with my regular luggage.

Have done this on every ship we have been on with no problems.

Edited by island lady