Early arrival in Miami/how to kill time before heading to pier

laedw

My flight is expected to arrive in Miami around 10:15 a.m. and the ship sails at 4pm from Miami. I want to get a bite to eat before heading to the pier because I don't anticipate boarding to begin before noon. Any suggestions on where to go eat and kill some time while carrying luggage?

I don't think it is a good idea to fly in the day of the cruise but that is a different story. Too much risk of missing the ship.

One option is to have lunch at the airport. Then just take a taxi over to the pier, check in and board the ship. If your flight is on time, you won't be off the flight and have your baggage in hand until 11:00 AM so if you eat there you can just go to the ship.

Keith

Keith is correct.

By the time you collect your bags at MIA it will be close to 11:00 (assuming your flight is on time). Grab a quick sandwich and then jump into a cab and head to POM ($27+tip flat rate fare). Boarding for most cruise ships starts at about 11:30.

I don't think it is a good idea to fly in the day of the cruise but that is a different story. Too much risk of missing the ship.

One option is to have lunch at the airport. Then just take a taxi over to the pier, check in and board the ship. If your flight is on time, you won't be off the flight and have your baggage in hand until 11:00 AM so if you eat there you can just go to the ship.

Keith

I don't usually fly in the day of cruising but I don't want to spend $200+ for a hotel overnight so I'm going to chance flying in day of cruise. In the past, I stayed at the Hyatt Place when cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale for 7 night cruises. Unfamiliar with Miami area and hotels.

ladew, I think the input that we all have given will help you to figure out what you will do. I think having a bite a the airport is the way to go.

As I said this was not your question but whenever someone asks about flying in the day of the cruise I do warn them about the downside. I travels for business many years and was on the road quite a bit each week. I have seen it all and can't tell you how many times I have seen things go wrong with flights. I also know of too many people who missed the ship and said never again. So, it is just in my blood to offer this advice even if not asked. I too don't like to waste money. But for me I look at it as part of an investment to make sure I don't ruin my entire vacation by missing the ship.

Keith

My flight is expected to arrive in Miami around 10:15

Boarding for most cruise ships starts at about 11:30.

quite true

by the time OP goes potty, rounds up their bags and gets a taxi ... drives to pier and checks in, they should be able to walk straight on or close to it.

Backtracking into the airport with my bags would not be my first choice (esp' in Miami)

but when I eat at MIA, La Carreta is my first choice

p.s. a bunch of those folks leaving the ship are going to be piling INTO the airport . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

I agree with the others. You can head straight over to the pier upon arrival into MIA and eat in the buffet on board ship, if you like. If you sail at 4, you need to be checked-in by 2:30, so see the gap closing already? I, like Keith, am not comfortable flying in the day of the cruise, but it sounds like you have already booked everything.

To answer your question directly, I don't think you need anything to kill time in Miami. You are cutting it close now.

Have a great cruise. :)

No, I haven't booked anything but the cruise. Was considering my options for flying in day of or pre-cruise; decided on pre-cruise. This is a last minute booking and, since I'm going solo this time, I didn't want the added expense of an overnight stay. I'm considering the Hyatt Place Miami Airport-West/Doral hotel. Do you guys have any reviews of the hotel and the area?

Doral is kinda the wrong way from the airport IMO and there is less out there (I worked in this area for a few months)

I'd go into Down town if possible ....

Hampton Inn Brickel gives better dinner options as does the Intercontinental

Edited by Capt_BJ

No, I haven't booked anything but the cruise. Was considering my options for flying in day of or pre-cruise; decided on pre-cruise. This is a last minute booking and, since I'm going solo this time, I didn't want the added expense of an overnight stay. I'm considering the Hyatt Place Miami Airport-West/Doral hotel. Do you guys have any reviews of the hotel and the area?

Look at both Coconut Grove and Coral Gables also.

Both are much better areas.

However, I would stay in Doral before I'd book a flight that lands after 10AM on the day of the cruise.