immigration Question

Woobstr112G

I have done a number of T/A's but never one wherein the first US port we dock is not the end of the cruise. My question relates to my T/A in September where the first US port we dock at is Boston before ending the cruise in NYC. Since Boston is the first US port we dock at, will we have to go through some type of immigration?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

Absolutely....

Thanks for the information. Is it a full blown affair like when we arrive in Ft. Lauderdale (customs forms, etc?). The reason I ask is the scheduling of shore excursions in conjunction with how long it would take to get off the ship. One more question, if we do this in Boston, will our arrival and departure from the ship in NYC be more expedited?

Bob

You won't have to fill out the Customs form until you disembark. Best case scenario is that immigration officials will be on board a couple hours before the listed arrival time, tendered out to the ship on the pilot boat. So for US citizens it may be as simple as lining up outside one of the lounges where an official will glance at your passport for a second and a half and then hand you a gangway pass which allows you to go ashore once the ship is cleared. But if the ship was unable to arrange early processing you may have to take your passport ashore and stand in a typical post-cruise line in the terminal (omitting the step of claiming your bags of course).

Edited by fishywood

I don't have firsthand experience, but I did read a CC cruiser's experience on a different cruise line (last year I believe)...The customs experience lost them like half their day in New York. [emoji17] So I would say to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Bob,

If I recall right 6 customs officers came onboard and set up at a long table in the dining room, we were given letters which you had to hand in, and a time to appear at, once checked you were free to go ashore, only took seconds per person,

yours Shogun

This was a few years ago in New York, it was not our first US port, but we had sailed through the canal so re-entering. Full set up in old warehouse type building, first 300 or so straight through, then disaster, computer meltdown. Excursion buses left half full as passengers could not get out of customs. Eventually combined tours and we saw sights. Those unfortunate enough to get stuck didn't exit until after noon. Lost half of their time in Ne York.