Laguardia airport to Carnival Port

hockeymom15

Hello

Can someone tell me the most affordable and most reliabe way to get from laguardia airport to the port in New York ?? There will be 4 of us ( all adults) with 4 suitcases . Carnival transfer is to much x4 . Is it best to take Taxi or some other service ?

Q70 bus to Roosevelt Avenue/Jackson Heights subway station (buy tickets at machine on street level by baggage pickup)

Go upstairs to subway levels - Take "E" subway into Manhatten to either 50th Street Station or 42nd Street/Port Authority Bus Station.

Then a taxi or walk to port - it's about 4 blocks west of subway line/subway stops

You can map it out on Google Maps which shows the bus route at airport and Subway lines.

Edited by lizardhowson

Hello

Can someone tell me the most affordable and most reliabe way to get from laguardia airport to the port in New York ?? There will be 4 of us ( all adults) with 4 suitcases . Carnival transfer is to much x4 . Is it best to take Taxi or some other service ?

What does the Carnival transfer cost and his much would each person willing to spend for the transfer? Is public transit with luggage realistic for everyone in the group?

What does the Carnival transfer cost and his much would each person willing to spend for the transfer? Is public transit with luggage realistic for everyone in the group?

As far as I have seen, Carnival transfers are $36 one way.

Obviously, some don't want the added effort of bringing a suitcase on public transport (even though the Q70 bus is set up for that) or the burden of transferring from one transport to another.

But threadstarter asked for "most affordable".

As far as I have seen, Carnival transfers are $36 one way.

Obviously, some don't want the added effort of bringing a suitcase on public transport (even though the Q70 bus is set up for that) or the burden of transferring from one transport to another.

But threadstarter asked for "most affordable".

Folks' eyes usually glaze over when you describe the "most affordable" options for the NY metro area. That's why I asked the next question - what would you pay? Airport bus to Port Authority and cab to the pier coud be an option. They should also get a quote from Dial7 and Carmel to see if a car service split four ways works for them.

Oh geez. For $104 you can get 2 cabs. Carnival is $144 minimum.

Or just price a private driver

Most affordable is public transit but it is also the most inconvenient and irritating choice IMHO for a group of 4 with probably too much luggage anyway. Lol

Edited by luvtheships

I recommend booking a comfortable mini-van with Carmel car service (Dial 7 will be priced a little higher) for 4 adults with 4 suitcases (will fit up to 5, maybe 6 with reaonsable luggage) - base fare, toll via the QMT or RFK Bridge and 20% tipping should come to around $70 with an online coupon code discount of $3 to $4, sometimes $5 off - which can be easily found; and as a regular ride, get them in emails often. That's very reasonable & rather affordable vs. CCL bus transfer -no wait & curbside to curbside, usually in about 1 hour or less, depending on day of the week, etc. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/IMG_20150304_GTaxi-NYC.jpg (if you booked & something like this show up, it's okay - you will be paying the flat rate, only street hails will be charged the metered rates for these "green" colored taxis in the outer boroughs)

Alert - tomorrow would be an exception due to the NYC Half Marathon, getting all sorts of warnings/alerts about multiple street closures, plus the pending snow "storm" which forecasts now revised downward to maybe 1 inch of wet snow or less, possibly skipping us entirely.

As for taking the Q70 bus to the subway/transfer into Manhattan & then the final leg by walking many long city blocks or hauing a taxi (forgetabout it, as 4 of you won't fit with luggage - you will need 2 taxi) - unless you can find a full sized minivan taxi, not "off duty" to take you on the short trip. Beware of weekend subway track works & train lines going out-of-service entirely, switching to shuttle buses on select segments - and, should some stations with elevators/escalator access be "out of services" - not going to be fun to haul those 35 to 40+ lbs. rollers or spinners up and down and across, etc.

Others do, sometimes - including seriously backpackers - so, OP's choices :eek:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/IMG_20140821_105102.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/IMG20140620_1254.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Flushing%20-%20Main%20Street%20on%2011-1/IMAG0241.jpg

It really does depend on how adventurous you're feeling. It's definitely possible to do this on the Q70 and the E train; the route is step-free (i.e. there are elevators at every place you need them and you don't need to lug bags up and down stairs), but I've walked between the ship and the 50th St station. It takes 10-15 minutes.

Either way, a cab or pre-booked car service is a good plan, but for more adventurous riders with rollable luggage, the Q70/subway combo is actually quite doable.

Edited by MarlboroBell

As for taking the Q70 bus to the subway/transfer into Manhattan & then the final leg by walking many long city blocks or hauing a taxi (forgetabout it, as 4 of you won't fit with luggage - you will need 2 taxi) - unless you can find a full sized minivan taxi, not "off duty" to take you on the short trip. Beware of weekend subway track works & train lines going out-of-service entirely, switching to shuttle buses on select segments - and, should some stations with elevators/escalator access be "out of services" - not going to be fun to haul those 35 to 40+ lbs. rollers or spinners up and down and across, etc.

Its my understanding the "typical" NY taxi will take up to 4 pass. The luggage will go in the trunk. Please confirm....

Edited by ERNLYN

... Its my understanding the "typical" NY taxi will take up to 4 pass. The luggage will go in the trunk. Please confirm....

A few years ago, when practically all NYC yellow taxis were using mostly Ford's ex-police 4 door cruisers, it will take up to 4 passengers (usually wide enough for 3 adults in backseat & 1 up front) plus luggage with its huge trunk - and, you can fit easily 4x 22" airline carry-on regulation-sized suitcases, and maybe even 1 or 2 small backpacks or personal bags. Nowadays, the taxi fleet have mostly retired them as those Fords are out of production, downsizing & switch to assorted makes/models accepted to the NYC's TLS (a/k/a licensing authorities) - the trunk are smaller, and many times - 25" plus checked luggage won't fit & they don't like to bungee cord it, bouncing up & down - nor do you want to risk your bags flying off if it hit a hard road bump on the highway (NY roads are among the worst)

There are some Toyota & Dodge minivans with generous passenger & luggage capacities, but they are a small percentage of the fleet, along with mid-sized SUV (i.e Ford Escape) and the newest ones are those Ford Transit & Nissan NV200, custom built/designed for taxi/fleet operations - and trending as the standard for being allowed to go on the road. http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/industry/taxicab_vehicles_in_use.shtml

The typical "surcharge" for booking a minivan with more space is about $10 to $15 higher, but a flat rate, for trips within NYC - a little more expensive than the taxi with mostly metered fare - we always price them out using Dial 7 or Carmel (which we used quite often) for airports & cruise piers.

In real life situation, the big questions come down to - will it all fit inside if a group of 4 traveling together each got a 25" suitcase & a backpack ? ;)

Taxi seems to be the least expensive for 4 adults, ea with a 22" bag. Would you agree, also do not want to get into the fiasco of buses and subways....

Conditionally, yes - depending on day of the week & ETA @ LGA for OP, hockymom15 flying in from north of the border - the aging subway system in NYC often do track work on weekends, and not worth the hassle, except for the experienced urban travelers familiar with options & alternate routes ... not the infrequent cruisers flying in, :eek: on embarkation day (I re-read post #1 again)

Caution #1 is that, as noted above, as long the 4 adults are each taking a 22" carry-on and not taking "excess" personal bags or items (and, be prepared to place them on their laps for the ride to the pier, if necessary.) Toyota Camry and Nissan Altima are among the vehicles used by the taxi fleet - need I say more about their trunk capacities.

Caution #2 is NYC's unpredictable traffic, last time we took a car service (near LGA, as we're NE of Runway 22 w. roof/attic line of sights toward the airport) to MCT - ran into unexpected traffic & was delayed 20+ minutes sitting in traffic ... it would've cost an arm and half a leg if we took a taxi with the meter running on the clock, surcharge would be an extra $10 (50 cents/minute not moving x 20 minutes). Flat rate fares for car service is generally closely matching that of the "average" trip for using taxi - and, you always come out ahead if trapped in traffic, detours & road closure or reconstructions, etc.

LGA/JFK taxi stands usually (if not always) have a uniformed dispatcher on duty and there are better odds for having minivans, suv's and the Nissans/Fords with good trunk capacities - might have to wait for a larger vehicle, a bit longer & let others go ahead first. It could be stressful depending on OP's flight arrival time & cutoff for checking in for CCL.

Cab might be the absolute cheapest, but for a little extra I'd arrange a private driver. I've used Dial 7, based on the recommendation of several on the Cruise Air boards, and have been very pleased with them every time. Worth the convenience in my opinion!