Which one to choose: Princess line vs. Carnival line

popomama

Hi,

We are thinking to take a short(4 day) Mexico cruise departing LA. If I have the option between Carnival lines and Princess lines, which one should I choose? Assuming the cost of the cruises fair of the two are the same.

Thanks.

Hi,

We are thinking to take a short(4 day) Mexico cruise departing LA. If I have the option between Carnival lines and Princess lines, which one should I choose? Assuming the cost of the cruises fair of the two are the same.

Thanks.

If your looking for a 4 day non stop booze cruise go with Carnival, even a 4 day Princess will have a lot of party people.. The 4 day Pacific Coastal on Princess is much less a party ship compared to 4 days to Mexico..

The 4 day cruises are less of a booze cruise experience than the 3 dayers are. FWIW the wildest 3 day cruise we've ever sailed was a three day in November on Princess.

We've sailed the 3/4 day cruises many times out of LA. Mostly on Carnival but recently several times on Princess.

The two ships Carnival has out here are the oldest class in the fleet. Princess' ships are newer. If you want a balcony go with Princess. Carnival's inside and ocean view cabins will be larger than Princess. Princess' bathroom is better laid out, but the shower is smaller.

Food is very subjective. We like Carnival's MDR, Princess' buffet line. We do prefer Carnival's pizza, deli sandwiches and 24 hour ice cream.

Carnival no longer has lobster in the short cruises. But the alternatives are very good, the scallop appetizer is excellent. IIRC Princess also no longer serves lobster in the short cruises.

It comes down to what you are expecting. Carnival is fun, think Vegas. Princess is subdued.

Either way you won't go wrong. Haven't looked at Princess's short cruises lately.

Princess might have three different itins-- Ensenada and San Diego, Catalina or Santa Barbara. Carnival goes to Ensenada and Catalina.

Do you use a mobility device? Carnival uses the old Catalina ferries, these are roll on/roll off - scooters, power chairs etc. Princess uses their own tenders.

Other things--- parking in Long Beach is $19/day, San Pedro is $17/day.

Carnival boards around 11:30, cabins open at 1. Princess's cabins are usually ready at boarding. Can arrive for check in earlier for both lines.

These cruises are extremely laid back.

Edited by SadieN

OK, granted I've limited experience on either line (only one cruise on each), I'd opt for Princess.

Mostly because the ship itself (for our Princess cruise) didn't feel "cheap". The Vegas-style neon lighted, decor on Carnival just doesn't work for me.

Hi,

Thanks.

Princess.

Princess ship's décor leans toward casual but still classy. Pastels and light color woods.

Carnival trends to garish.

I much prefer classy!!

On Princess I feel like an honored guest.

On Carnival I felt like just one of the herd.

Princess' disembarkation is well organized.

Carnival's was mass confusion.

Go with PRINCESS!!

You're basically asking which booze cruise would be nicer. That's kind of like asking which side of the ship is best to get sick from. Princess caters to a slightly less ruckus passenger group on a four day cruise when compared with Carnival so I would try to steer you toward Princess for a slightly more peaceful trip. I have spent many enjoyable hours seated at cruise ship bars but at the same time I'm no fan of any loud drunk passenger, regardless of age, staggering about trying to be clever. Four day cruises tend to attract passengers that want to party. The cruise ship they sail on really isn't terribly important to them. As stated a few posts if front of this one, try and find a way to turn your four day trip into a seven day trip. It's been my experience that cruises lasting up to or over seven days generally attract a more civilized group of passengers and not the I can drink more than you party crowd. I also think that the Princess ships do a better job with their ships interiors.

I have been on Carnival, Royal, NCL, and Celebrity. Lets face it, any cruise line is a cruise so you can't go wrong. However, I am partial to Royal. Classy with lots of activities. Was always treated like royalty and decor is beautiful.

Carnival is my least favorite - it just does not compare to the rest. It would be my last choice. The decor is loud. If you like obnoxious and lame pool games, then this is your cruise line.

NCL - In my opinion, NCL has the best suite perks. Not as fancy as Royal, but not as cheap as Carnival.

Celebrity - Most comparable to Royal. I was on this ship when they had smaller ships. I honestly don't know how the bigger ships are.

Hope you enjoy your cruise! No matter what you choose, go with a positive outlook and you will have a great time.