Tea and Coffee Brands

Jiima

Greetings,

Does anyone know what brand of tea and what brand of coffee is served as regular fare on the Royal Princess? We are from Seattle (Starbucks country), sailing April 2, 2016, and are somewhat picky about our brews. We are not interested in the beverage cards. Just the included beverages. Also, can I bring my own diet pepsi on board?

Thanks for your assistance!!

The free coffee is no-name instant (from a syrup-based concentrate). If you like Starbucks, I'm going to venture a guess that you'll think it's weak. Even Princess's espresso-based specialty drinks aren't as good as Starbucks. Fresh-brewed from real grounds coffee is available at the International Cafe and you don't need a coffee card to purchase -- it's only about $1/cup. It's still not a marquee-name coffee, but reports are that it tastes better than the free stuff.

Tea bags available in the buffet range from regular Lipton's to mostly Bigelow flavours (the usual suspects, including green tea) and occasionally I've seen a Twinings or two. In short, the tea selection is better than the coffee. If you order tea in the dining room, you'll get Lipton's; you can ask if they have other varieties; I don't drink hot tea with meals so I"m not sure.

As for iced tea, it's awful. It's made from a concentrate and will put hair on your teeth, it's so strong. I dilute it in the glass to half-tea/half-water and then it approaches something that's drinkable. If I have time, I just brew a cup of hot, let it cool, and then pour it over ice to make my own decent fresh-brewed iced tea.

Yes, you can bring aboard soda.

Edited by rdsqrl

The Royal & Regal are the only two Princess ships that have free filtered coffee made from ground coffee in the Horizon Court buffet. It's not made from coffee concentrate & myself and other posts I've read feel it's an improvement.

The brewed coffee at the International Cafe in the Piazza has a charge unless you purchase a coffee card ($35.65: free brewed coffee during the cruise purchased; 15 specialty coffee drink punches valid on any cruise; can use a punch to get an ice cream treat instead of paying $3.50 at Gelato's...Royal & Regal only). Princess is upgrading their coffee experience which they call New Grounds Crafted Coffee. They've partner with the American Barista Coffee School to train their baristas & are using Caffe Boasi beans from Genoa, Italy.

Taste is subjective & you could try these options on the Royal Princess.

This link shows an example of the International Cafe's coffee menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47453312&postcount=3

Edited by Astro Flyer

Is the coffee you get in room service the same as the horizon court?

I haven't enjoyed horizon court coffee, but have enjoyed room service coffee. I'm not sure if it's just a sleepy issue, that SOME caffeine is a great perk, so I take what I can get with room service... but we usually get our coffee from the international cafe

Is the coffee you get in room service the same as the horizon court?

I haven't enjoyed horizon court coffee, but have enjoyed room service coffee. I'm not sure if it's just a sleepy issue, that SOME caffeine is a great perk, so I take what I can get with room service... but we usually get our coffee from the international cafe

The coffee we've had from room service tastes like the buffet coffee from concentrate & like what is served in dining rooms.

That's what my taste buds tell me but we didn't have room service coffee on the Royal & Regal. If it's from the same type of coffee machines using ground coffee as at the HC it could taste better. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

The free coffee is no-name instant (from a syrup-based concentrate).

Just to confirm what others have stated the Royal has self service equipment in the buffet area that prepares both regular and decafe filtered coffee from grounds, not syrup. The coffee does not have the burnt flavor of Starbucks. But, of course, the less burnt the coffee beans, the more caffeine to keep you alert. The Royal also has free self service hot chocolate next to the coffee.

I'm pretty sure it's Nestle Vitality brand.
I believe you are correct. While on a recent galley tour on the Pacific I saw several Nescafé Alegria coffee machines. I assume that Princess is using the 100% Columbian and 100% Columbian Decaf frozen concentrates.

Regarding the tea (bag) brands, the tea at the International Cafe is Mighty Leaf brand, a variety of flavors. If you purchase the coffee card, you are entitled to unlimited cups of hot tea as well as the unlimited brewed coffee.

I don't care for the coffee at the buffet or MDR, and I really despise the iced tea at both locations. For my iced tea fix, I brew a cup at the buffet or IC, and pour it over ice in my own insulated cup. This works well for my to-go cup during the day. I don't brew my own in the MDR; I just settle for water or wine. ;)

Regarding the tea (bag) brands, the tea at the International Cafe is Mighty Leaf brand, a variety of flavors. If you purchase the coffee card, you are entitled to unlimited cups of hot tea as well as the unlimited brewed coffee.

I don't care for the coffee at the buffet or MDR, and I really despise the iced tea at both locations. For my iced tea fix, I brew a cup at the buffet or IC, and pour it over ice in my own insulated cup. This works well for my to-go cup during the day. I don't brew my own in the MDR; I just settle for water or wine. ;)

On most ships the iced tea from concentrate still needs to be diluted about 1:1 with water to make it drinkable and I typically brew tea the night before and place in the fridge in the room. On our cruise on the Pacific the iced tea was much better. It was available from the same dispenser the dispensed juices in the morning. It must be a different brand or product and I wish that is what the offered on all ships.

On most ships the iced tea from concentrate still needs to be diluted about 1:1 with water to make it drinkable and I typically brew tea the night before and place in the fridge in the room. On our cruise on the Pacific the iced tea was much better. It was available from the same dispenser the dispensed juices in the morning. It must be a different brand or product and I wish that is what the offered on all ships.

I agree that the iced tea is undrinkable; even diluting it doesn't help for me. We always have coffee cards so I get a large cup of the white orchard Mighty Leaf and put it in the refrigerator. It makes great iced tea. If I want it sweetened I put the sugar in it while it's still hot so that it dissolves completely. Only 57 days until I'll be drinking it again!

If you are planning to pack some tea bags anyway, I am going to tell you how I handle the coffee situation. I hate the ships coffee, but love room service so I pack some Starbucks Via and put a couple of those in the carafe. Gets me through the first couple of cups so I can go down to the IC and get the good stuff.

I believe you are correct. While on a recent galley tour on the Pacific I saw several Nescafé Alegria coffee machines. I assume that Princess is using the 100% Columbian and 100% Columbian Decaf frozen concentrates.

I have seen that brand repair truck during turn-around-days

in ft. lauderdale, and that is the name I have noticed on the

pouches.

Others have pointed out that a vendor can offer a wide variety

of products at different price points and quality. I have no

idea about the particular product offered.

I think this is also the brand of the juice dispensers

(which have pretty much disappeared from passenger areas)

Edited by pablo222

I agree that the iced tea is undrinkable; even diluting it doesn't help for me. We always have coffee cards so I get a large cup of the white orchard Mighty Leaf and put it in the refrigerator. It makes great iced tea. If I want it sweetened I put the sugar in it while it's still hot so that it dissolves completely. Only 57 days until I'll be drinking it again!

This sounds delicious, and I can't wait to try it. 10 days for me! :D

I have seen that brand repair truck during turn-around-days

in ft. lauderdale, and that is the name I have noticed on the

pouches.

Others have pointed out that a vendor can offer a wide variety

of products at different price points and quality. I have no

idea about the particular product offered.

I think this is also the brand of the juice dispensers

(which have pretty much disappeared from passenger areas)

I have looked at the Nestle Professional Vitality website. They could obviously prepare custom blends but in liquid concentrate they only show the 100% Columbian, 100% Columbian Decaf, Rich Roast and French Roast as options.

Yes, I believe that the juice dispenser on the Pacific was also a Nestle Vitality brand. There was orange and apple juice available in the morning and iced tea and lemonade available the rest of the day. The iced tea was quite drinkable as is. I wish they had those dispensers on other Princess ships.

Edited by IECalCruiser