Norovirus on Ventura

Thorpeys

Hi All,

Just checked the boards and surprised to see little said about the epidemic of norovirus on the cruise we have got off today (N607).

The ship has been on red alert with an extreme level of sanitation for a week. With two young children this gave us added concern as the idea of all four of us being couped up in our cabin if one of us got it didn't bare thinking about. I'm pleased to report so far we escaped but it was clear there were many many people who didn't.

We had a great cruise but it did add a layer of concern and worry. One of the crew told us in the four years she'd worked there she hadn't known it to be red alert. Would have been interesting to know some figures of reported cases as the captain after a few days kept saying we were making positive progress and on one occasion said that there were "good movements" which was an apt phrase!

Hoping that the next lot of minority cruisers don't bring on the same issues for the many.

Sorry to hear about the problems on your cruise, and glad you came through it OK.

It's one of the problems of having lots of people in one place together.

A hospital near us recently stopped visitors, and I believe shut a ward for the same thing.

At this time of year I will not say it's expected, but is more likely.

I am sure the crew were doing everything they could to stop it in its tracks.

Just takes one person though who although feeling off colour , thinks they will just wander about the ship to help the spread.

Hi we have also just returned and unfortunately my husband was one of the unfortunate people to get the virus.

He was confined to our inside cabin for 48 hours but I was allow to leave but not use any of the self service resturents, our cabin was cleaned by a special team 3 or 4 times a day, and his food was brought again by a special team all on paper plates and trays and plastic cutlery..

We have discovered there 127 reported cases but we did hear that some very selfish people were not doing so which could have made it worse

I still witness ladies leaving the toilet without washing there hands!!!!!

I am constantly amazed at some of the very poor hygiene standards I have seen on P&O ships

From leaving bathrooms without washing hands to handling food in the buffet - some people have appalling standards

Until people start taking their own responsibility in hygiene and mauling food in the buffet you will never stop noro virus whatever cruise ship or company you are with.

In the past, not sure if it was pando, may have been Fred, was in the shops and a customer was bemoaning the fact she could not buy what she wanted.

Her cruise card had a block on it, as she was supposed to be confined to her cabin. She decided she felt better, so thought she would go shopping. When you are up against that.attitude, what can you do.

Not good news at all. It is very late in the season for Noro to hit a ship.

While it doesn't help those who suffered through it you can bet that the ship will be sanitised from top to bottom after an outbreak with as many as 127 reported cases (which usually means many more are not reported).

I am surprised they let anyone out of the affected cabins, the usual practice is a lock down in everyone which i always thought was a bit OTT. Not using self service is a sensible precaution.

Thanks for the warning, will be purchasing an additional can of anti viral foam before we go.

Have just had a hunt around the web and the ship is leaving late with embarcation delayed to allow for a deep clean. There are some moans about it but to my mind an hour late is much preferable to the potential of 48 hours stuck in a cabin feeling ill.

Yes TEL, we also always take anti viral foam, the anti bacterial does very little for a virus. I always wonder why all cruise lines don't start to use it, it may cost more but may be offset against the cost of an outbreak and reputational damage etc.

I may get slated for this but in my experience the people I see on board with poor hygiene tend to be older pax (obviously not all older pax)

After my Xmas cruise on Oceana I had emailed customer services on a number of points including hygiene. They said that they have staff in the buffet with the handgel for the first 2 days and after that it is up to the passengers.

They said that they put a reminder in the daily Horizon which I thought was laughable

I agree anti viral is what needed and we take it as well but at least if hands are being cleaned on the way into the buffet it puts hygiene in your mind

I found hygiene on my Celebrity cruises much better and there are staff at the buffet entrances with the gel throughout the cruise

I may get slated for this but in my experience the people I see on board with poor hygiene tend to be older pax (obviously not all older pax)

After my Xmas cruise on Oceana I had emailed customer services on a number of points including hygiene. They said that they have staff in the buffet with the handgel for the first 2 days and after that it is up to the passengers.

They said that they put a reminder in the daily Horizon which I thought was laughable

I agree anti viral is what needed and we take it as well but at least if hands are being cleaned on the way into the buffet it puts hygiene in your mind

I found hygiene on my Celebrity cruises much better and there are staff at the buffet entrances with the gel throughout the cruise

We now take out own anti bacterial foam that is supposed to protect against Norovirus (as many don't) for 6 hours. (Recommended on CC). We also take wet wipes from the same company to give the door handles etc a quick wipe down.

We used to think that people who did this sort of thing were paranoid, but if it keeps us healthy on our holiday we too will now maintain this cleaning 'regime' !

PS Didn't see much of a difference on Celebrity to be honest though staff were ever present at the doors to the restaurants.

At peak meal times Celebrity have someone in the toilets to constantly cleaning but they also politely point out to any of the "ladies" who try to leave without washing their hands that they should do so! Amazing that someone has to tell an adult about basic hygiene.

I try to avoid the public restrooms on all ships as far as possible but you can't avoid the handrails and lift buttons etc completely, hence the personal bottle of foam. It does feel a bit paranoid but if it helps.

At peak meal times Celebrity have someone in the toilets to constantly cleaning but they also politely point out to any of the "ladies" who try to leave without washing their hands that they should do so! Amazing that someone has to tell an adult about basic hygiene.

I try to avoid the public restrooms on all ships as far as possible but you can't avoid the handrails and lift buttons etc completely, hence the personal bottle of foam. It does feel a bit paranoid but if it helps.

Someone on here once said to use your knuckles for the lift buttons -- a good tip, though hubby thinks I am totally potty ;-)

Whenever we have gone into the MDR they always have people on the doors there with squirty. Don't very often eat in the buffet , so cant confirm what people do there. When we have used it, we always use the squirty.I guess even if someone is stood on the door, you can still get people walking past them, and short of a stand up argument what can you do.

"excuse me sir, may I just squirt your hand."

"no thanks I don't need it, "

then what.

I only ever use the cabin toilet as well, even if its a long walk away. safer rather than sorry.

One would like to think that its the ones with no hygiene standards that are the ones who get ill, but I guess its not them, they just spoil someone elses holiday.

Whenever we have gone into the MDR they always have people on the doors there with squirty. Don't very often eat in the buffet , so cant confirm what people do there. When we have used it, we always use the squirty.I guess even if someone is stood on the door, you can still get people walking past them, and short of a stand up argument what can you do.

"excuse me sir, may I just squirt your hand."

"no thanks I don't need it, "

then what.

I only ever use the cabin toilet as well, even if its a long walk away. safer rather than sorry.

One would like to think that its the ones with no hygiene standards that are the ones who get ill, but I guess its not them, they just spoil someone elses holiday.

On Oceana you were squirted at MDR

but not at the buffet. I stopped using it after a few days - selection and quality of food really poor but also because I was appalled at the touching of food that went on

You might hope that, but of course it won't happen. The people with strong immunity won't be affected by bugs anything like as badly as the people with weaker immunity. By definition, the people who don't meet your standards clearly don't suffer from tummy bugs like you do; if they did. they'd be more obsessive about cleanliness.

Sorry but Celebrity are no better than any other line at controlling NV in 2013 there were 7 incidents of NV on Celebrity ships. The site I look at lists all reported cases. All cruise lines are on the list.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can I ask which hand foam you use/recommend?

I buy the Boots own brand anti-viral foam. The larger bottle is far more economical but a bit big for carrying around. I have the small size for my bag then when it's empty decant some from the large bottle into it.

Just off Ventura, sadly there was a lock down on a number of activities due to the virus, not least they cancelled the Peninsular lunches and party. However, everyone was told the importance of personal hygiene and to wash hands regularly and never touch your mouth with your fingers. However what was absurd were the number of people queuing to board ship after being ashore, that put their cruise card in their mouth while they used the gel dispenser at the gangway. Err how many times is that card passed between themselves and crew, it defies belief. Watch it happen on your next cruise!!

Bal

Sorry but Celebrity are no better than any other line at controlling NV in 2013 there were 7 incidents of NV on Celebrity ships. The site I look at lists all reported cases. All cruise lines are on the list.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Appreciate that Dai

The 3 cruises I have had so far on Celebrity were in the summer on Eclipse and it seemed a cleaner ship, with attendants outside all restaurants and washroom attendants.

Also a younger clientele

I have mostly been on P&O in the winter with older pax who I perceive, rightly or wrongly, to pay less attention to hand washing etc

Eclipse is an exceptionally clean ship - I am off on Constellation on May and will see if the standards are maintained