Hal vs O

fred 15

If we could get the costs back to being close, would return to O for the food primarily. Not that the food is bad on HAL but not in the same class. Pricing a veranda on the Prinsendam does skew the comparison as they are expensive on that ship. O also reduce air credits and increased deviation fees.

At the time we switched back to HAL i didn't think O did a very good job of managing hand hygiene. For example no wipes for the computers, no monitoring of guests using hand cleanser in food areas. Hopefully they now do a better job.

As many has said value is in the eyes of the beholder. My list of things I value are different on each and every cruise. On many cruises, I love the fact that smaller ships can dock in the city port or much nearer the sites that I might want to see. Big ships are often in a commercial port many miles from the center of town. BUT huge ports with their cranes and trucks loading goods from all over the world and their energy and hyperactivity are to me just fascinating! From high up on a dock to watch the call to worship during Ramadan and seeing hundreds of men climbing down like small ants and swarming on the ground to pray --a very unique memory that being in that commercial port provided. Planning at home could I anticipate this "extra value" ? Nope that is the beauty of travel --surprises.

Value on food. Don't go there. I value a big old wonder burger or messy bar B Q ribs probably much more than snails or crab -- maybe even lobster. If you make wonderful egg over light consistently -- I would probably like that and value that more than a fancy quiche. Personal Personal! I often wonder what my fellow passengers eat at home. I live in a city with world class restaurants but my budget usually does not allow them. The ordinary food of chains and family owned restaurants is my regular fare. I have never in 30 cruises not had at least as good food as my regular fare -- and usually it is much superior. Again in 30 cruises I have never had a cruise where I did not find some dishes or meals that left me saying "not so good a choice that time". Value on food is just too personal to judge a cruise on.

Value on service, having one person on the cruise that makes it personal and wonderful --it is a good cruise. Mostly though the staff does their job efficiently and they are well disciplined and well supervised and the massive amounts of effort that it takes to make your vacation great gets done. Really people -- do you get that kind of service and respect from the folks you meet in the stores and streets at home? And often you get what you give out. Are you demanding and critical -- the staff though well trained to not show it-- are human and probably like the person in the next cabin better (and they get treated better):eek: And you never know -- the person you are dealing with might have huge problems at home a half a world away or they broke up with a friend an hour ago and are reeling though they must serve your drink with a big smile and calm manner. This is their workplace and that is tough -- think of how you feel in your workplace sometimes. Let alone your back is killing you and a lady just wants another "little taste" of dessert that means you have to go down 2 flights of stairs and you'll be late getting ready for your next table. Not easy -- be kind to the workers.

Each trip has a different rubric of value. Each reaction to that rubric is constantly shifting and changing dependent on our mood and expectation. If a cruiseline has pleased many people -- it can probably please you (at least mostly). If you really like how one cruise line matches your rubric of value consistently -- BINGO you have found a match. What I think matters the most and is most in your control is YOU? If you go with the attitude of " you won't meet my expectations or be good enough" probably they won't be. If you go with "this is going to be the best thing ever" probably will be. Your attitude is generally the thing that can turn an ordinary cruise to extraordinary -- that and planning on your part that will assure you are on a cruise that matches your own rubric.

Mainstream cruise lines have all cut back food, service and maintenance to keep prices low and fill too many empty cabins. Holland America has the oldest fleet and has fallen the hardest. Their fleet has lots of old ships and maintenance has been poor, routinely passengers have AC and plumbing problems that go on for days and days.

However they have some of the most loyal cruisers in the industry and in their eyes nothing else will measure up to HAL. It can be a great value as an inexpensive way to see the world.

I had to laugh at the two references to their "faux luxury ship" the Prinsendam, I sailed it once, against my better judgement, and didn't like the physical plant at all. Food was very middling but I heard more than a few people say to each other " the food on Prinsendam is supposed to be the best". The more they said it the more they seemed to believe it.

If you think the hype about the second rate hacked up Princendam is funny.... you need to read the reviews for the corker of all corkers......The Princess Pacific Princess... CC even lists it as one of the finest luxury ships afloat and the bamboozeled Princess passengers, raving about the intimate luxury after being on one of the princess floating ant farms of 3000+ is funny

They rave about the wonderful 2 seating dining and the inspired british boiled beef dinners... 98% rave, and buy the line, hook line and sinker that they have truly arrived. at the pinnacle of ocean travel They swear that Princess is the finest luxury cruise. there is..

( As a reference, its an R class ship and O just bought the Island Princess, so opulent was this princess sister ship that its only going to cost 40 million dollars to O to bring this Princess crown jewel up to minimum acceptable Oceania standards.....)

HAL catered to a set of passengers, who it cruise after cruise gave them pins and a special lunch ( 0nly for special people of course) and they would not dare ever find such a wonderful cruise that recognized how important they were. Mass hysteria that feeds off a needy life.

Really people -- do you get that kind of service and respect from the folks you meet in the stores and streets at home? And often you get what you give out.

I am really glad to read on this forum that somebody appreciates the hard work of the staff! Thumbs up!

( As a reference, its an R class ship and O just bought the Island Princess, so opulent was this princess sister ship that its only going to cost 40 million dollars to O to bring this Princess crown jewel up to minimum acceptable Oceania standards.....).

Did O just buy Island Princess as well as Ocean Princess??

Did O just buy Island Princess as well as Ocean Princess??

No, Princess sold the Ocean Princess only. The Pacific Princess is the other R ship they own, probably for sale.

I'm laughing again at the mention of the Holland America pins. Trust me, these are taken very seriously by the faithful.

Mura,

I agree with you 100%.

Yes I did post on HAL site

Yes, you pay more on O, but the help is so much better trained. I understand the food quality on a lower cost line, but disembarkation does not cost more to be well organized, nor does improved communication skills. Many people like the mass market lines, I just did not realize the difference. We are all different.

Here's my two cents.

Yes, Fred 15, you did post a review on HAL; three sentences. You were requested to give details of problems with your HAL cruise which you have not provided on the HAL site. I have several friends who were on your cruise and all still on the Maasdam. I was told due to rough seas off Cabo, the Maasdam arrived late in San Diego that caused disembarkation issues. That all I know.

Now as far as HAL v O, I have been on 40 HAL cruises and am not a HAL cheerleader. I have been very critical of HAL during the past several years as quality of food and service has declined.

I have sailed 6 times on O the past three years. O is what HAL was +35 years ago. Though O is pricey, it is worth it. The only thing lacking on O is the entertainment in the showroom and only one show late at night.

If you think the hype about the second rate hacked up Princendam is funny.... you need to read the reviews for the corker of all corkers......The Princess Pacific Princess... CC even lists it as one of the finest luxury ships afloat and the bamboozeled Princess passengers, raving about the intimate luxury after being on one of the princess floating ant farms of 3000+ is funny

They rave about the wonderful 2 seating dining and the inspired british boiled beef dinners... 98% rave, and buy the line, hook line and sinker that they have truly arrived. at the pinnacle of ocean travel They swear that Princess is the finest luxury cruise. there is..

( As a reference, its an R class ship and O just bought the Island Princess, so opulent was this princess sister ship that its only going to cost 40 million dollars to O to bring this Princess crown jewel up to minimum acceptable Oceania standards.....)

HAL catered to a set of passengers, who it cruise after cruise gave them pins and a special lunch ( 0nly for special people of course) and they would not dare ever find such a wonderful cruise that recognized how important they were. Mass hysteria that feeds off a needy life.

Agree with you 100%. While we have not sailed on HAL (nor would we), it sounds as if some posters on this thread are happy with their HAL experience and probably should just continue sailing with them. If boiled beef is considered a great meal, they may not appreciate Oceania at all. It makes my head hurt to even think that the former Princess ship may have been considered luxury!

Agree with you 100%. While we have not sailed on HAL (nor would we), it sounds as if some posters on this thread are happy with their HAL experience and probably should just continue sailing with them. If boiled beef is considered a great meal, they may not appreciate Oceania at all. It makes my head hurt to even think that the former Princess ship may have been considered luxury!

I agree that many cruisers will not appreciate Oceania food quality, presentation and style. Their preference is for blander comfort style food.

The same thing is true for land based restaurants. We visit out of state family members every year or two and always take them to dinner. Usually we go to their favorite comfort food eatery but last year we took them to an upscale restaurant with a real chef in charge. I could tell they were not impressed and overheard them say they were looking forward to a good meal soon at the local "Comfort" restaurant.

I agree that many cruisers will not appreciate Oceania food quality, presentation and style. Their preference is for blander comfort style food.

The same thing is true for land based restaurants. We visit out of state family members every year or two and always take them to dinner. Usually we go to their favorite comfort food eatery but last year we took them to an upscale restaurant with a real chef in charge. I could tell they were not impressed and overheard them say they were looking forward to a good meal soon at the local "Comfort" restaurant.

I just took a road trip across the US and was most interested in what and how people ate.

I was reminded of a Jean Sheppard article who said of his mid west dad, " He said people really only like meat and potatoes and only eat other things to impress each other"

Mc Donalds, Waffel House, Cracker Barrel , Golden Corral, Chilies , Steak and Shake and all sorts of Pizza... are the popular venues that people in many areas embrace Its who the mass market lines focus on and who loves them. I think love of different cuisine and appreciation of exploration is something akin to Maslow Hierarchy of need that the more experience one has will cause them to seek higher levels of personal awareness and satisfaction beyond their basic needs.

Love of more or higher levels of appreciation from art to foods and culture is an acquired thing; not everyone seeks it.

I guess I am one of "THOSE" people who prefer comfort food but like quality ingredients & the presentation of the food

do not mind some spice but like to taste the REAL food not ones enhanced by too much sauce that hides the flavour of the food

We love Oceania but you can have the caviar, Foie Gras & other fancy

dishes

To each his own

I guess I am one of "THOSE" people who prefer comfort food but like quality ingredients & the presentation of the food

do not mind some spice but like to taste the REAL food not ones enhanced by too much sauce that hides the flavour of the food

We love Oceania but you can have the caviar, Foie Gras & other fancy

dishes

To each his own

I don't eat caviar or foie gras eithe and I don't remember either food prominently listed on O menus.

I don't eat caviar or foie gras eithe and I don't remember either food prominently listed on O menus.

Maybe because you do not eat them you did not notice them listed

just saying

I just took a road trip across the US and was most interested in what and how people ate.

I was reminded of a Jean Sheppard article who said of his mid west dad, " He said people really only like meat and potatoes and only eat other things to impress each other"

Mc Donalds, Waffel House, Cracker Barrel , Golden Corral, Chilies , Steak and Shake and all sorts of Pizza... are the popular venues that people in many areas embrace Its who the mass market lines focus on and who loves them. I think love of different cuisine and appreciation of exploration is something akin to Maslow Hierarchy of need that the more experience one has will cause them to seek higher levels of personal awareness and satisfaction beyond their basic needs.

Love of more or higher levels of appreciation from art to foods and culture is an acquired thing; not everyone seeks it.

So what does anyone here think of Thomas Keller using comfort food ideas on Seabourn??

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

It's not listed "prominently" but Jacques offers 2 types of foie gras on their menu - cold (terrine) and hot (seared). Both are outstanding and among my favorites. Polo also offers a small portion of foie grass with a steak (Tournedos Rossini) - if it is still available.

I do not care for caviar and do not recall seeing it on any menu.

Edited by Paulchili

It's not listed "prominently" but Jacques offers 2 types of foie gras on their menu - cold (pate) and hot (seared). Both are outstanding and among my favorites. Polo also offers a small portion of foie grass with a steak (Tournedos Rossini) - if it is still available.

I do not care for caviar and do not recall seeing it on any menu.

And yet it is there in the GDR ;)

When you do not care for a particular food your mind just overlooks it or erases it from the memory banks LOL

Edited by LHT28

They are not a daily staple

from the priesmans blog the GDR menus

http://www.thepreismans.com/china_japan_menus.htm#grand

Day 3 Caviar & Foie Gras

day 9 Foie Gras

day 10 Foie Gras

Day 11 Foie Gras

Day 15 foie Gras

And yet it is there in the GDR ;)

When you do not care for a particular food your mind just overlooks it or erases it from the memory banks LOL

The other part of this may be that we (almost) never eat in the MDR - thus I do not know the menus.

It's either the specialties, the Waves or Terrace 9 out of 10 times for us.

The other part of this may be that we (almost) never eat in the MDR - thus I do not know the menus.

It's either the specialties, the Waves or Terrace 9 out of 10 times for us.

That could be it

i know you like the Terrace ;)