Multiple Cruises, or Suite Class. Looking for personal opinions.

Hey All, As you can tell by my cruise history below, I've been very lucky to cruise a 2-3 times a year the past 5 years.

I'm up front, all of these have been booked at either interior rooms or ocean view, a couple have been balcony guarantee.

My question is for those who have been able to book suites, would it be worth cutting the number of cruises I take in half to have 1 cruise a year in a suite, or continue the course I'm on.

I'm sure there will be plenty of responses beginning with:

It's up to you...

Personal preference..

Depends on ports..

Depends on itinerary..

Depends on the ship..

I'm genuinely curious to ask the folks who are not retired, not overly wealthy, if they would trade the suite experience for double the cruises.

Thanks,

Chris

We are not retired, not overly wealthy, and would rather take more cruises than cruise in expensive suites. In fact, some of our more recent cruises have been in OV staterooms instead of balconies or JS staterooms because of the high prices.

Personally, I don't spend time in the cabin, and I'm not a big booze drinker, and I don't have any specialty needs that the concierge would help me with, so "suite status" means nothing to me.

Cruising multiple times a year, however, means A LOT to me.

Like you, I book mostly insides (or upgrade when it's SUPER cheap on a price drop)... just so I can cruise more often.

We can cruise once and sometimes twice a year due to demands with work and school. In 2015 we did not cruise. If I could have the time to take six cruises a year, I would pick a regular cabin. Because I have limited time and some extra cash, we book suites. We enjoy the perks, larger space and multiple bathrooms.

I like to go more often for sure!! Of course I love a balcony but if it's too pricey compared to the inside,I'll do an inside. Probably will never do a suite but that's just me. Going on my third this year, had an inside and then 2 balconies!:eek:

I am not wealthy and not retired. I have been decreasing the intervals between sailings, but probably will only be able to cruise once or twice a year due to work, family etc.

So I recently started sailing in a suite. I loved it and will continue to do so. I have met some wonderful people in suites and regular cabins. I just prefer the extras that come with a suite and the extra space.

However, if it was a choice between not cruising and choosing a less expensive room, I would cruise in the less expensive room.

We are not wealthy or retired and are choosing to do the suite thing based solely on the fact that cruises are a rare thing for us, about once every 5 years. We simply don't have the time to be on vacation regularly.

We tried GS first time last year on Oasis and booked the next GS for Alaska.

Love the extra space, bathtub and all the perks.

The seperate line for GS & above getting off the ship and going straight through customs was AWESOME :D 10 mins tops and out on the street. WOW!

We only cruise once a year/18 months.

We've only been on 2 cruises in 23 years and our 3rd one coming up. First cruise was our honeymoon with very limited funds. We did inside cabin. Our TA said we would never be in there anyway except to sleep. She was right, but I don't think I would do that again. I would want at least a window so I can see outside.

2nd cruise was Alaska and I was told that if we could do it, get a balcony. We did, I loved it and I don't think I would go without one again. Our next cruise is at the end of May and we got a JS. So we shall see. I've already been looking at a 4th with a GS, but I don't know if I want to spend that kind of money. We shall see ;)

We are almost Diamond Plus and have always sailed in balcony cabins and find them to be very nice.

Last cruise, however, we saved a few bucks on one of the "new" Freedom cabins with the floor to ceiling windows - they replaced the area where some of the physical fitness equipment was on deck 12.

For the next cruise we've decided to splurge on an owner's suite - it's our 50th anniversary. We thought that would be a good reason to splurge, but probably won't do it again - would rather cruise more often.

We can only sail once a year due to DS work schedule. DH & I are retired. We are going in a GS this time for more room. Most of time we do JS. Just want more room with 3 adults. And this is our 1st time as D+. End of April can't get here fast enough.

Our first three cruises were in suites, and we did enjoy the extra real estate. But we have decided since that as long as we have a balcony we are good. So yes, I guess we took "quantity" over "quality".

We do spend quite a bit of time in the balcony, especially on sea days, but since we actually like each other's company, it's OK.

We have been cruising for 21 years......had insides, ocean views, balconies, junior suites and grand suites. I prefer balconies, but do choose to cruise more often than in suites. So, we now watch prices, and either book many very inexpensive inside cabins or an occasional balcony. We are Diamond + and have most of the onboard perks of the suites. We don't spend much time in our cabin, no matter which category we book. Last year I was in 4 insides, and 2 balconies. This year, I've been in 3 insides, have 2 more insides and a balcony booked. Basically, we sleep and shower in our cabin, and enjoy being out of the room to socialize with others, or just laze around in the loungers. We can always find shady or sunny spots....whatever we're looking for at the time.:) My vote is inside cabins, and cruising as much as possible!:D

We are almost Diamond Plus and have always sailed in balcony cabins and find them to be very nice.

Last cruise, however, we saved a few bucks on one of the "new" Freedom cabins with the floor to ceiling windows - they replaced the area where some of the physical fitness equipment was on deck 12.

For the next cruise we've decided to splurge on an owner's suite - it's our 50th anniversary. We thought that would be a good reason to splurge, but probably won't do it again - would rather cruise more often.

Congrats on being almost Diamond plus, and especially congratulations on your upcoming 50 year anniversary!:) We celebrate 45 years in July.:)

For us it depends. The Mrs and I took our first cruise without the kids and were bumped from a JS Guarantee to a GS on Allure. We would probably prefer to sail in a GS again, but will definitely do a balcony for just us. Whether or not we do a suite would depend on pricing. We spent a lot of time on the balcony, so that would be important, but LOVED the suite benefits (especially on Oasis & Anthem classes). With the kids (3 & 6 right now) we prefer to sail inside or OV because of safety concerns and we don't spend much time in the room. We're taking a "couple's cruise" with friends and doing it on the cheap, $499 pp for an inside and that included a drink package with NCL.

When in doubt I would almost always opt for more vacation/cruise time.

I'm genuinely curious to ask the folks who are not retired, not overly wealthy, if they would trade the suite experience for double the cruises.

Thanks,

Chris

Nope!! Suite experience all the way and I am neither of the above.;) After my NCL Haven experience I am now, all on board for more of that suite experience!

Not wealthy or retired. My husband can really only get away for one cruise each year. We just started booking suites last year, to mix things up a bit and treat ourselves. Honestly though, if we could get away more, or lived closer to a port where airfare didn't have to be factored into every trip we take, I'd be very happy to take more cruises in ocean view or interior rooms. :)

Depends on ship and itinerary for us. I like the reserved lounger location on Indy but not on Freedom. I like the perks on Labadee. I like the Aqua Theater suites on Oasis. So like I said, it depends. Not wealthy or retired but i like what I like.

It is personal preference, as you say, but our preference has been more cruises at else cost. We do draw the line at, most of the time, getting a balcony room. We've had a suite a couple of times due to upgrades and it was pretty great, but it's just not worth the extra cost to us.

We're not poor and not rich and still working for a living. If we had unlimited money we'd probably decide to donate more to good causes and still cruise at a more reasonable price.

If the suite upgrade is a really good deal we'll go for it. One time on a B2B we got a Jr. Suite for $100 more each than our balcony room and we thought it would be dumb not to snap it up. That's only happened to us once.

But, even after saying all that it's still kind of "to each his own". If anyone says they wouldn't "like" a suite better than an inside room they are either deluded or just making up stories. :rolleyes:

Tom