Room Ethics Question

We are planning a future cruise for summer 2017.

We are looking into a junior suite for my wife and I and an adjoining balcony for my parents. We have two young children (under 5). Sometimes they prefer to sleep with us and sometimes they prefer to sleep with their grandparents.

It would be cheaper to put assign them to the balcony room reservation but I am not sure if that is ethical. Normally this isn't an issue because we have the same type of room but on this occasion we have different classes of cabin.

Thoughts/opinions on what I should do?

Not an ethical issue, book the kids where you would pay the least and let them sleep where they want.

I was thinking that but didn't want to get in trouble with the stateroom attendant if we ask him to make up both of the pullout beds or if you could get thrown off the ship if they catch children sleeping in a room that wasn't assigned to their reservation.

I was thinking that but didn't want to get in trouble with the stateroom attendant if we ask him to make up both of the pullout beds or if you could get thrown off the ship if they catch children sleeping in a room that wasn't assigned to their reservation.

If they threw people off the ship for sleeping in the "wrong" staterooms, there would be a whole lot more folks being stranded!;)

Seriously, many times Royal themselves tells people to book staterooms in a way so that both get a balcony discount, and then switch rooms when they get onboard. This is not a big deal, the stateroom attendant will handle it.

Not an issue to book them in the balcony cabin and not the JS, but understand that not all JS have a sofabed. Some of them only have a regular sofa.

Tip of the hat to the OP for both thinking ahead AND for considering the ethics of the situation. As others have said, there is NO ethical problem, but how nice to see that such questions still cross peoples' minds.

Have a wonderful cruise.

It is super cool that you are the type of person who cares about being ethical. That said, no one, especially the room attendants, will care where your kids sleep or where they are booked. I bet if you asked the RCI TA while booking they would suggest you do it as inexpensively as possible. I've had them offer to put my wife and I in different rooms so we could get the balcony discount for our kids when they cruised with us.

I'm guessing your kids that are less than 5 in age won't have to worry about keys either so it doesn't matter what their seapass card says.

There are plenty of things to be ethical about (tipping, sharing drink packages, etc.), but this is one place where the cruise line tends to give a lot of leniency.

Tom

Agree that the sleeping arrangements won't be an issue.

One thing to be aware of is that if your kids are booked in your parents' room, you likely will need to get authorization from your parents to take your own kids off of the ship if neither one of your parents is with you. At least that's the case on Disney; children under 18 can only leave the ship with an adult registered in the same cabin unless an authorization form has been completed in advance.

The only issue I see is that the cabin that has only two people booked in it may not have pull-out beds. Some JS cabins do and some don't. So, if it's important to have the extra beds, then make sure you know what type of cabin you're reserving. Most times they won't even offer the rooms that have extra beds to a 2-person booking, unless it's getting close to sailing time, and the extra-berth rooms aren't sold out.

Does anyone know, our room shows a sofa in it. Are they all beds or only some? The room legend doesn't show

Not all sofas are sofa beds.

What is the ship and stateroom number? The deck plan will show the configuration.

Does anyone know, our room shows a sofa in it. Are they all beds or only some? The room legend doesn't show

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They are not all beds, and it's probably not a pull-out bed, if the room legend doesn't indicate it.

Not all sofas are sofa beds.

What is the ship and stateroom number? The deck plan will show the configuration.

It's the Freedom, but that's all I could find out from her posts.

kbowen! Which cabin? The deck plans WILL give the answer.

I couldn't tell if the question regarding cabins was referring to me. We are looking at 1704/1706 on Liberty of the seas.

Seems like both of those cabins do have a sofa-bed, and my caution was that they might not allow you to book only two people in a room that is designed to hold more. Just be aware of that. Of course, if you do run into that snag, one option may be to book one of the two kids into each of the cabins.

The only other thing would be if they are assigned to different lifeboat stations which CAN happen even with connecting rooms. If they are, the children would have to go to the lifeboat station they are assigned - in this case with the grandparents - and not yours even if they were sleeping in your cabin at the time you were sent to the lifeboats.

In most cases Royal does not care what cabin you are in, if invited. Where you sleep is between you and the person the cabin is registered too. But you cannot get extra working key cards.

Royal only gets involved if your plans involve members of the crew. Most crew members are absolutely not allowed to enter passenger cabins. And passengers are never allowed inside crew cabins, unless directed by a senior officer, Captain, Hotel Director, etc.

So as long as the children or you are not members of the crew they really do not care and have no right to question guests.

Freedom of the Seas 8362. Legend doesn't show sofa bed, TA said it had a sofa in it not a chair. I have 2 grandkids I was going to let stay with us a couple nights, I was hoping even though it did show it that it could be a pull out sofa. Next time I talk to TA I will ask her... I didn't know with the dry dock if they have changed.