Transportation from Florence to Civitavecchia

ontariogirl

I am looking for recommendations for companies that provide a private or shared car service from Florence to Civitavecchia. Has anyone used any of the following companies and can provide advice:

PRIVATE TOUR IN ITALY

TUSCAN SUNSHINE TOURS

AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFERS

ROME/AIRPORTS CRUISE PORT TRANSFER

I know that we have less expensive options such as taking the train or renting a car to drive ourselves, but we are seniors who would have problems handling the luggage and the stairs that are part of most European train stations, and we would find it stressful to drive ourselves.

I know that RomeinLimo is highly recommended but their quoted price is VERY high.

I would appreciate any input/advice/suggestions that all you seasoned travellers might be able to provide.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I'd be curious about this too, since we will be doing the reverse in October. I had assumed we would take the train into Rome and then the high-speed train to Florence. But I'm open to any suggestions that appear here. We are also senior, but tend to travel light, so I think we can handle our luggage (but would rather not, if it wasn't too expensive.)

• 3 months later...

Jumping in for a little advice:

We are cruising out of Civitavecchia next May, but we are spending a few days in Florence pre-cruise. We are flying into Rome (flying to Florence or Pisa wasn't a good option for us), and will land around 9:45 a.m. We want to go straight to Florence. I have looked into private transportation (which we do when we just go to Rome pre/post-cruise), but it's understandably quite high. Our options, therefore, are to rent a car or take the train. We don't have any problems driving, and possibly exploring along the way, although after flying all night, we may just want to get there. We wouldn't need the car while we are in Florence, but our apartment is quite near a garage where we could keep it for the couple days until we drive back to Civitavecchia (I've confirmed with the owner that it's available). Or, we just do a one way rental, drop off the car when we get to Florence and then do another one-way rental the morning we go to Civitavecchia. It's certainly doable, and I've started to look into rental options. We'd need a bigger vehicle as there are four of us and cruise luggage (I'm not known to be a light packer.)

The other option is the train. I've looked at the Trenitalia site, and there are certainly several trains. There is one direct train to Florence right from FCO, but it leaves at 11:00, which might be cutting it close if our flight is delayed or there are long lines at immigration. The others change trains in Rome. As we've never taken a train from the airport, I have no idea where one gets the train. Is it reasonably close to where we exit from baggage claim, or is is going to be a hike - thereby rendering that 11:00 train even more impractical.

Going back to Civitavecchia, there is no direct train from Florence; they all change in Rome. I don't mind changing trains (ask my husband about the luggage, however:roll eyes:) Once out of the train station, or dropping off a rental car, I guess we'd take a taxi to the port. I know it's walkable, but there's the luggage!

Any other thoughts/suggestions/advice?? Our flights are booked, as is our apartment in Florence. I know it sounds like a bit of schlepping, but we've been to Rome a few times and haven't been to Florence in a while. The other couple with us did several days in Rome a few years ago, but they haven't been to Florence (my BFF has, but just for a couple hours with me after a wine tour/day trip from Rome). There's also a wine guy that we like touring with, which is another reason we are heading to Florence.

You have done your homework :) so that makes helping you ez. The options are what you said, train or rental car and either work fine. Just keep in mind that taking a lot of luggage on the trains is a bit of a hassle. Since you will probably have to leave some of your luggage at the end of the car....we like to take along a small luggage cable lock (you can find them online) which we use to thread a cable through each luggage handle and then lock them all together (and to the train if there is a place to attach it.) This helps prevent theft if you get distracted near a station. You might want to also consider that the train to Civitavecchia is at a track at the far end of Termini....so you will have quite a walk when you change trains. As I recall, the Civitavecchia station still does not have an elevator...so if your train does not stop at the track next to the station,,,you will have to carry your luggage down the steps, through the tunnel, and up the steps. Track numbers can change...so we never venture a guess as to whether the train will be at the proper track :).

So these issues might convince you to rent a car large enough for your party + luggage. But we would also caution that in Italy, it is never wise to leave anything of value in a car (or van) that is unattended. Otherwise, we would suggest stopping at Orvietto...on the way to Civitavecchia from Florence. On the other hand, if you want to gamble......

Hank

Thanks, Hank. I do tend to do a lot of research on these things. Probably too much, but planning the trip is part of the fun!

Taking the train with luggage doesn't really bother us, but changing trains is where I see the hassle come in - especially if it would be at the far end of the station. There is 15 minutes between trains, so it should be fine, but still a schlep. A few years we ran into that issue coming off a cruise in Venice and found ourselves at the wrong track with lots of stairs and luggage to deal with. That impression has lasted with my husband.

Renting a car definitely sounds easier, so I guess we just need to decide if two one-way rentals are better than keeping the car and parking it for the couple days we are in Florence. A detour through Orvieto sounds great, if not for the luggage. However, we've been there, and since we will be driving from Florence that morning and our ship sails at 4:00, it's probably not in the cards for this trip.

We were originally just going to stay in Rome for the few days before we sail and just do a day trip by train to Florence to meet up with our wine tour. Since we've been to Rome a few times and our friends haven't been to Florence, this sounded like something that be more fun, albeit more logistically challenging.

Edited by Softball20

One-way rentals are definitely something you should look into. We have previously been able to get decent deals (without one-way drop charges) as long as you pick up and drop within Italy. If keeping the car for 3 or more days you should also check out Autoeurope.com and Kemwel.com (they are sister companies) which discount for several major rental car companies including Hertz and Europcar. Of course the downside to rentals is figuring out a painless way to drop the car and get to the ship. You are probably aware that Civitavecchia is what they call a "closed port" in that they do not allow rental/private cars inside. They do have free shuttle buses from their drop site (outside the port) to the ships....or taxis can get to the piers.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hmmmm.... thanks; I'll look into that. Without a one way drop off charge, that could be the way to go. Dropping off in Civitavecchia I was also kind of wondering how close a private car could come to the cruise terminal. We've always come in a taxi/private driver. If we could get fairly close, we could drop off all the stuff and then the guys could go return the rental car, wherever that may be.

I'd be curious about this too, since we will be doing the reverse in October. I had assumed we would take the train into Rome and then the high-speed train to Florence. But I'm open to any suggestions that appear here. We are also senior, but tend to travel light, so I think we can handle our luggage (but would rather not, if it wasn't too expensive.)

We will be doing the same next year. We will be leaving Civitavecchia after our Jewel cruise and going to Tuscany for 5 nights where we have a vacation villa in the countryside outside of Florence already reserved for four couples. We will need a car while in Tuscany. Then we will be returning to Rome most likely for a flight to Barcelona for our TA cruise back to the states. Since we will be needing a car in Tuscany we are leaning towards renting two cars (since there will be 8 of us) instead of the train to Florence and renting cars there.

One of the couples we are traveling with will be doing a similar trip this year, renting a car in Civitavecchia and then driving to the lakes region of Italy and then back to Rome. They will report back to us just how easy the rental car process is. My initial thought pattern was to take the train to Florence, but schlepping the luggage is a consideration we may not want to deal with. Since we do need car(s) in Tuscany it makes sense to go the car rental route if it works out for our travel companions this year. We will gladly let them be the guinea pigs!:cool:

Renting the car in Civitavecchia sounds much easier than taking the train and then getting the car(s) in Florence. We did rent a car just for a day in Civitavecchia a couple years ago (pre-cruise just to explore Tarquinia before sailing the next day), and it was painless.

Yikes- I started looking at car rentals for our FCO-Florence-Civitavecchia trek. We'll need a mini-van or something similar since there are four of us (one of our traveling companions is also 6'6" - not a good fit for many European cars!), and we'll have all our cruise luggage. Prices now are quite high!

Are there any busses that run from FCO to Florence? Maybe that could be an option and we'll do either a one-way rental back to Civitavecchia or schlepp on the train. Of course, it's very early, and prices could change a hundred times between now and then.

Renting a car at Civitavecchia is a bit of a pain since you must get yourself from the pier to the rental car location (somewhere outside the port). And taxis will not want to take this kind of short haul fare...so you are often on your own. My personal strategy is to take the port shuttle (with our luggage) to the shuttle drop off point (which is located outside the port). At that point, I will usually leave DW sitting on a bench with our luggage while I take the walk to the rental car office. Once I get the car I simply drive back and pick her up along with our luggage. If the rental car office is close enough to the shuttle bus (this depends on which agency) and we can easily handle our luggage...we might both walk (dragging the luggage) to the office.

Things are much easier in Livorno where the local Hertz agency (Sifracar.com) will deliver a car right to the pier.

Hank

I am looking for recommendations for companies that provide a private or shared car service from Florence to Civitavecchia. Has anyone used any of the following companies and can provide advice:

PRIVATE TOUR IN ITALY

TUSCAN SUNSHINE TOURS

AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFERS

ROME/AIRPORTS CRUISE PORT TRANSFER

I know that we have less expensive options such as taking the train or renting a car to drive ourselves, but we are seniors who would have problems handling the luggage and the stairs that are part of most European train stations, and we would find it stressful to drive ourselves.

I know that RomeinLimo is highly recommended but their quoted price is VERY high.

I would appreciate any input/advice/suggestions that all you seasoned travellers might be able to provide.

Thanks

Tuscan Sunshine Tours are wonderful to deal with. Prompt responses and great suggestions. I have done a lot of research on this as we are doing a precruise in florence next year and need transport to civitavecchia as well. I have several companies who quoted me rates starting at 400 euro. We are going to have too much luggage, weak backs, and not good at driving in unknown places so car rental and train are out for us as well. If you want to email me I will share my research with you aaa miss at aol dot com

Tuscan Sunshine Tours are wonderful to deal with. Prompt responses and great suggestions. I have done a lot of research on this as we are doing a precruise in florence next year and need transport to civitavecchia as well. I have several companies who quoted me rates starting at 400 euro. We are going to have too much luggage, weak backs, and not good at driving in unknown places so car rental and train are out for us as well. If you want to email me I will share my research with you aaa miss at aol dot com

I will try the email. I think I have the Livorno end figured out. My problem is with the Civitavecchia end. I cannot see getting myself and my luggage on and off the port shuttle. I guess since I am already booked on the Westerdam, that I will make it somehow.

Lonny

I will try the email. I think I have the Livorno end figured out. My problem is with the Civitavecchia end. I cannot see getting myself and my luggage on and off the port shuttle. I guess since I am already booked on the Westerdam, that I will make it somehow.

Lonny

One possible solution is to get your rental car agency to call a local taxi (in Civitavecchia) when you drop the car. If a taxi does come, they are able to take you inside the port to the appropriate pier.

Hank

One possible solution is to get your rental car agency to call a local taxi (in Civitavecchia) when you drop the car. If a taxi does come, they are able to take you inside the port to the appropriate pier.

Hank

Why didn't I think of that? I suppose I could have my limo driver do the same thing. I know I feel so insecure because I will be alone. Although I usually prefer to travel solo, this is one of those times when it would be nice to have a buddy. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 1 year later...
Yikes- I started looking at car rentals for our FCO-Florence-Civitavecchia trek. We'll need a mini-van or something similar since there are four of us (one of our traveling companions is also 6'6" - not a good fit for many European cars!), and we'll have all our cruise luggage. Prices now are quite high!

Are there any busses that run from FCO to Florence? Maybe that could be an option and we'll do either a one-way rental back to Civitavecchia or schlepp on the train. Of course, it's very early, and prices could change a hundred times between now and then.

Hello - I am not sure if this is "proper " or not - but in searching my issue - I came across your posts about transportation from Florence to Civitavecchia. We are travelling in June - and will be in Florence pre-cruise. Can you please share with me what you ended up doing? I am facing the same challenges you faced. thank you.

What we ended up doing was really pretty easy. We were in Florence for three days pre-cruise last May. We flew into Rome and were able to get on the direct train to Florence from the airport. There is one in the morning, and we just made it. On the way out of Florence we took a train from Florence to the Termini in Rome. From there, instead of dealing with luggage on the regional trains from Rome to Civitavecchia, we had Rome Cabs pick us up in a car at the Termini (for four of us with our cruise luggage) and drive us directly to the port. It was only minimally more money, but it was so much easier than having to change trains at the Termini and then having to figure out how to get from the train station in Civitavecchia to the port with all our luggage. Well worth the extra $$. We had originally thought of renting a car once we got to Rome on the front end, but we really didn't want to deal with parking and all the "no traffic zones" in Florence. This just made sense and worked.

Thank you for your quick response... brilliant..and I agree - spend the few extra dollars than fuss with luggage and second train transfer...

That is what I will plan . Much appreciated.

No problem. It was so easy having that door to door service right from the station in Rome to the ship. Rome Cabs gave us detailed instructions, along with pictures, as to where to meet them and we were off.

I used romeairportshuttlelimoservice.com and was very reliable !!

The quoted poster appears to be active on the boards to promote their own company or service. (See their previous posts for confirmation.)

They have been reported and hopefully will be removed.

The quoted poster appears to be active on the boards to promote their own company or service. (See their previous posts for confirmation.)

They have been reported and hopefully will be removed.

Guess we will post a CAUTION...directed to those with minimal Italy travel experience. Many of the various shuttle companies use similar names (we suspect some hope to confuse folks looking for a different company). If you are going to book a transfer company it is wise to lean on those with some real personal experience....and perhaps has been around these boards long enough to have credibility :). That being said, since the transfer issue has been raised our own "go to" company is Rome Cabs (Romecabs.com) which has long had many favorable comments on these boards. Another service which has received many positive reviews (from board regulars) is Romeinlimo.com.

This is not to say that other companies are not reliable...but we are just mentioning a couple of companies that have received consistent positive reviews (for many years) on CC.

Hank

Guess we will post a CAUTION...directed to those with minimal Italy travel experience. Many of the various shuttle companies use similar names (we suspect some hope to confuse folks looking for a different company). If you are going to book a transfer company it is wise to lean on those with some real personal experience....and perhaps has been around these boards long enough to have credibility :). That being said, since the transfer issue has been raised our own "go to" company is Rome Cabs (Romecabs.com) which has long had many favorable comments on these boards. Another service which has received many positive reviews (from board regulars) is Romeinlimo.com.

This is not to say that other companies are not reliable...but we are just mentioning a couple of companies that have received consistent positive reviews (for many years) on CC.

Hank

Hank : - thank you much for caring to protect everyone's interest. Though I am well travelled and have been to Italy 4 times, I usually use the train and am not familiar with the shuttles and other modes of transportation - so your "heads up" makes a difference and I am of course heeding the alert and noting the reputable firms mentioned. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
What we ended up doing was really pretty easy. We were in Florence for three days pre-cruise last May. We flew into Rome and were able to get on the direct train to Florence from the airport. There is one in the morning, and we just made it. On the way out of Florence we took a train from Florence to the Termini in Rome. From there, instead of dealing with luggage on the regional trains from Rome to Civitavecchia, we had Rome Cabs pick us up in a car at the Termini (for four of us with our cruise luggage) and drive us directly to the port. It was only minimally more money, but it was so much easier than having to change trains at the Termini and then having to figure out how to get from the train station in Civitavecchia to the port with all our luggage. Well worth the extra $$. We had originally thought of renting a car once we got to Rome on the front end, but we really didn't want to deal with parking and all the "no traffic zones" in Florence. This just made sense and worked.

I was so happy to find your thread. I've been researching our alternatives from Florence to Civitavecchia. When we booked our flights, our plans were to book the high speed train to Roma Termini, then connect with the regional train to Civitavecchia. I was aware of the long walk from one platform to the next in Rome, but as long as it was on ground level, we would be fine. Then I saw pics of the steep steps (at the Civitavecchia train station) after someone from our CC board brought it to my attention. Between these two obstacles it was an easy decision - do we save $ or risk injury to my back. Today I decided on the train (www dot trenitalia dot com) from Firenze SM Novella to Roma Termini, then book a transfer with Stefano's Rome Cabs (www dot romecabs dot com), from Roma Termini to our hotel in Civitavecchia. Yes, the train is far less $, but is it worth the inconvenience and risk factor, no. We'll pay for a transfer from Rome @ $130...injury to my back would cost far more and could potentially ruin our 10-day Greek cruise. I've learned, there's a time and place to be frugal - this is neither the time nor the place.

BTW, I wasn't sure if CC would block the printed websites, thus typed as is.

Point being, after reading these posts, you confirmed my decision was the right decision. You erased all doubt. :halo:

Thank you.

Nancy

Edited by Grand & Nana