Please sell me on Azmara

cl.klink

I want to want it. Have been on Celebrity and HAL but would like a smaller ship with nicer quality feel to the surroundings, really good service, really good food. This is it, right? What do you like and not like about this line?

- Joel

Hello Joel. I have cruised 4 times with Azamara and whilst I do cruise with others, Azamara is very unique.

The smaller size, means smaller lines etc, & perhaps not as much choice in activities as larger ships. However this also lends itself to many pluses. Smaller ports are more accessible and tend to make for more diverse itineraries. Also activities are more of interacting with fellow passengers and enjoying making friends for life in some instances. The advantage of staying in port longer is such a simple but deeply satisfying option. The food is terrific and you have access to several food outlets and 2 superb specialty restaurants (for a fee if not in a suite). My favourite place to relax is at the Sunset bar and it is very easy to access meals from the buffet to eat whilst you relax. Loyalty programs are good and start giving back from the very start of your membership. The ship does not feel crowded with plenty of various areas to congregate with fellow passengers or get away from it all & spend some time on your own. There is access to a complimentary laundry & fitness centre, and an extensive shore excursion program available. This is all wonderful on its own.

Then you have the Azamara staff & crew. This is where the REAL difference lies. Staff are dedicated and informed and more often than not go above & beyond. They remember your name & your personal preferences quicker than you think is humanly possible. Everyone has a smile and make you feel as if you have genuinely made their day better for having crossed your path. Then there is the crew & the senior officers in particular. On other cruise lines the officers give you a smile & cordial nod and continue on mostly. On Azamara they usually stop for a chat, and usually follow up with something that you have discussed before, showing that they remember who you are & what you talked about. Our first experience was with Capt Carl remembering where we were from and our children after a brief first encounter at a Cruise Critic welcome aboard Meet & Mingle. They must have about 20 other things that they could be doing, but never fail to stop for a chat and don't make you feel like they are watching the clock. Next Captain we had was Jose and he never stops talking or laughing. We have always had Tony as our CD and have not been saddened by this. The efforts the staff & crew extend themselves to during White Nights and Azamazing evenings are beyond compare.

The fact that pretty much everything is included is a bonus. I consider myself very fortunate to have discovered Azamara early on in my cruising adventures & always look forward to returning to her ships any chance I get.

I am sure there are others that will back up my thoughts and expand on Azamara's virtues more eloquently. Just know that you won't be disappointed.

Karyn

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Karyn, you could not have put it better! It's everything you say and more, we love the Azamara experience. We have sailed with most Captains, all hotel directors, cruise directors and chefs, they all bring their own individual style which is a plus. I can't add any more than you are speaking how we feel. We board the Quest in a few short weeks for 32 nights and can't wait. It's our 'happy place'. What a privilege it has been to sail Azamara.

Edited by aussie travel bird

Sounds nice, folks. This is much like I've heard. Very consistent comments like this across other posts. Sounds like a thoughtfully planned operation that is well executed.

So, what's a good starter cruise from the options Azmara offers?

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on where you have been & where you want to go. Do you like sea days or port intensive? How long do you want to be away? Are you interested in sights, culture or experiences? What is your budget? Do you have limited time away from work or are you retired?

Your request is too broad to give any meaningful feedback without more information.

Any excuse to get on board is good enough for me! 😆😆😆

Karyn

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The features you highlighted are definitely a plus on AZ: Food quality is very good, much better that X, service is very high level, virtually at a luxury level. And the atmosphere, ambience, design is lovely, not glitzy, tasteful. And I would add that the fellow passengers are among the most friendly on the seas. You can socialize as much as you want.

Last Autumn we went on the Quest from Singapore to Hong Kong. It was great because being a small ship the Quest was able to go up river and dock very close to Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) city centres. They provide a free shuttle bus which drops you off right in the town centre after only a short ride. Much better than the long drive from the coastal ports that larger ships have to use. We'd thoroughly recommend this cruise. On the other hand if you want a relaxing cruise with lots of sea days, then one of the two annual relocation cruises through the Suez Canal is great too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can't really add to what has already been said. I've cruised a lot on Celebrity and found Azamara about four years ago. Stand outs for me in comparison:

- superior service and very friendly crew and officers

- better food in general

- friendlier fellow guests on a smaller ship

- usually docked much closer to the action in ports or tendered into places you wouldn't get to on a larger ship

- more late stays and overnights in places I want to overnight!

My favourite part of the Med is the Adriatic and Dalmatian coast. So many places it's hard to pick out a "first" cruise though. Loved the Far East with two nights in Hong Kong and up the river in Ho Chi Minh. Very interesting part of the world. Azamara visits some of the smaller Caribbean islands if you don't want to venture too far to start with.

I still like Celebrity, but have become somewhat frustrated with them pushing "free" stuff by hiking up their prices and touting Modern Luxury, whatever that means! I'm very, very happy I discovered Azamara. For me there really isn't anything I don't like about them.

Phil

Everyone has captured it well but a good starter is one that has late nights in port so you can experience how lovely things are after dark. I also try and get one with the little ports that none of the big boys go to.

It's so hard to explain it but the crew will love you and you will love them.

Enjoy!

I agree with all the above. I would add also, having a very senior officer (captain, hotel director) seeing you off the ship when embarking on trips and also at the end of the cruise. Also, captains having discretion to do things a little differently. For example, Captain Carl stopping the Quest at night so we could watch the eruptions of Stromboli - but there are many other examples.

There will occasionally be niggles on the cruise but the staff always seem to get things sorted out quickly.

For me, there is only one slight downside and that is with return flights booked through Azamara. Outward, you usually get a pre-cruise hotel and a transfer that gets you to the ship in good time for lunch. It is the return flights, again in my opinion, where Azamara fails to excel. Flights are often booked for late in the day which entails a long wait at the airport. There are sometimes options available but these are invariably very expensive. It is a disappointing way to end what is always a great cruise.

However, it does not stop us return to Azamara again and again.

Sounds nice, folks. This is much like I've heard. Very consistent comments like this across other posts. Sounds like a thoughtfully planned operation that is well executed.

So, what's a good starter cruise from the options Azmara offers?

- Joel

Hello Cl.Klink, welcome to the forum!

A great starter cruise would be any of our 2016 Mediterranean voyages coming up. There are amazing deals still available, and many have the More to Love package included.

There is even a short 3-night "sampler" August 19-22 r/t Rome from $599 pp.

But whatever you choose we will do our best to win your loyalty!

Bonnie

For me, there is only one slight downside and that is with return flights booked through Azamara. Outward, you usually get a pre-cruise hotel and a transfer that gets you to the ship in good time for lunch. It is the return flights, again in my opinion, where Azamara fails to excel. Flights are often booked for late in the day which entails a long wait at the airport. There are sometimes options available but these are invariably very expensive. It is a disappointing way to end what is always a great cruise.

This isn't Azamara's fault, e.g the airlines go out early morning from UK and return mid evening from America!

This isn't Azamara's fault, e.g the airlines go out early morning from UK and return mid evening from America!

I wasn't talking about America. I was referring to returning from Europe where there are earlier flights available.

I wasn't talking about America. I was referring to returning from Europe where there are earlier flights available.

It wouldn't be a problem if they let us remain on board, as British cruise lines do (e.g. P&O). However they tend to use dedicated charter flights and so transport people to/from the airport at set, known times, whereas Azamara clients are booked onto various flights to many different countries, so I suppose it's difficult. However, late checkouts would be good.

Edited by Wacktle

We just completed our first cruise on the Azamara Journey and I included it on my blog. Please read and enjoy! We can't wait to return to Azamara! alwayslookforthebrightside.blogspot.com

Wanda, a link to your blog was posted here by someone else a little while ago. I enjoyed reading it, glad you had such a good time and wish you all the very best with your health.

Phil

I want to want it. Have been on Celebrity and HAL but would like a smaller ship with nicer quality feel to the surroundings, really good service, really good food. This is it, right? What do you like and not like about this line?

- Joel

Joel, we also just returned from our "first" and blogged as well as posted a review here on this forum...both are listed in my signature below:

In general, we found the experience well worth it for the destinations, and the nimbleness of the ship and the interesting itinerary, as well as the friendly fellow passengers and crew! It was one of our top cruises, even though it had more passengers than some others we've sailed.

We might be able to answer in 12 days [emoji6]. Like you we have cruised Celebrity and Hal before and we'll board the Journey tomorrow! After reading all that positive post we are very exited to have this opportunity.

We decided to give Azamara a try since we were looking for a smaller ship experience for some time. The prices for Celebrity stepped up a lot (at least for us in Europe, more than double for the same itinerary) and we are not sure about their new class system with extra rooms and restaurants for suite guests. The new perks (go big, bigger, better) are definitely not free!

We are very excited to be going on our first Azamara cruise in a months time after mainly celebrity cruising for the last 15 years, one point that keeps being made is how lovely the sunset bar is, which we are really looking forward to. For the people who have experience of Azamara because this area is so popular is it difficult to get a seat and are there any times to avoid ?

One additional point: I think Azamara is excellent value for money. In many categories (such as service, food, etc.) it rivals if not exceeds Seabourn (except for the cabins / suites) yet it tends to be 30-50 percent more affordable.

Edited by florisdekort

We are very excited to be going on our first Azamara cruise in a months time after mainly celebrity cruising for the last 15 years, one point that keeps being made is how lovely the sunset bar is, which we are really looking forward to. For the people who have experience of Azamara because this area is so popular is it difficult to get a seat and are there any times to avoid ?

It does vary from cruise to cruise, but in general I've not had an issue getting a seat. If it's very busy I'm happy to sit on a stool at the bar and this often keeps you out of the heat of the sun. I think you said before you are on the Dubai to Athens trip? Be aware that it can get very hot there because of the lack of breeze. It's beaten me on that route a few times!

What isn't clear from photos post-refurbishment is if there are more seats than before. That would help. Also the waiters are very efficient at clearing the tables. If you find yourself having to wait then I've found making myself known to one of them good as they'll keep an eye out for a table to become free. It's never that long, but you might need to hover for a bit.

Enjoy your first Azamara cruise. I'm excited to be leaving on Journey in 10 days.

Phil