Jewel rescues 2 fishermen

On Day 4 of our Jewel of the Seas sailing March 13, we witnessed a sea rescue. I was sitting in the CL early evening when someone said "Oh, there's a little fishing boat." It took my brain about 3 seconds to think "can't be, we're in the middle of nowhere." As soon as I thought that then we heard "Oscar, Oscar, Oscar port side". I couldn't figure out why they said port side when we were on the starboard side. Anyway, I went down to Deck 5 and slipped in between the outward facing elevators where I could see the rescue boat coming from the port side out to the little outboard motorboat. I have pictures but right now I'm very busy and won't be able to post until after Easter. Turns out, 2 cousins from Dominica had broken down and had been drifting for 10 days before we picked them up just east of Aruba. They had used a mirror to catch the attention of the look outs on the bridge. Watching the process and procedure was a first for me! After 10 days (their story) they were in remarkably good shape, needing little medical care. When we arrived in Aruba the next day, the men flew home.

On Day 4 of our Jewel of the Seas sailing March 13, we witnessed a sea rescue. I was sitting in the CL early evening when someone said "Oh, there's a little fishing boat." It took my brain about 3 seconds to think "can't be, we're in the middle of nowhere." As soon as I thought that then we heard "Oscar, Oscar, Oscar port side". I couldn't figure out why they said port side when we were on the starboard side. Anyway, I went down to Deck 5 and slipped in between the outward facing elevators where I could see the rescue boat coming from the port side out to the little outboard motorboat. I have pictures but right now I'm very busy and won't be able to post until after Easter. Turns out, 2 cousins from Dominica had broken down and had been drifting for 10 days before we picked them up just east of Aruba. They had used a mirror to catch the attention of the look outs on the bridge. Watching the process and procedure was a first for me! After 10 days (their story) they were in remarkably good shape, needing little medical care. When we arrived in Aruba the next day, the men flew home.

I was on the ship as well. Assuming they caught fish to eat, but what about water? Either they rationed really well, or caught some rain water..either way, they are both lucky to be alive! It was interesting to see though, and was quite the talk of the ship afterwards!