Hawaii Cruise - April or September?

maherp

I am currently looking at the cruises offered by Celebrity. They do one in April which starts in Honolulu and ends in Vancouver, or there is one in Spetember which starts in Vancouver and ends in Honolulu.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

What will the weather be like in Hawaii, etc?

Many Thanks

We were on the Solstice last April (Hawaii to Vancouver). The weather in Hawaii was great, and we were in Honolulu for 6 days pre cruise. No rain on any of the islands. The only thing was when the ship turned towards Vancouver, the weather turned nasty...real nasty. The outdoor pool was closed down. Guess you can experience bad weather wherever, and whenever. It was still a wonderful cruise...highly recommend it.

If you look at the many questions about weather in Hawaii, you will see it doesn't change much. September might be a little warmer and drier, but not a significant difference. Not even a moderate difference.

You might look as to which direction works best for flights, if there is a difference for you. Then there is the concept that weather in Vancouver in the two months will be a far greater impact on you than the Hawaii weather.

We have been there over 20 times, in just about every month.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I like September for warmer ocean temperatures - but high humidity is more of a factor in September than April, so a bit of a trade off.

Both months are good choices though, so I'd opt for whichever works best with your schedule. In April there are still some whales in Hawaii, although most will have headed north by then. It's always a highlight for us when we see them.

Enjoy ... it's a great destination.:)

I will also vote for September. There are never any guarantees on weather but I find September to be a bit better than April and the water is still warmer after the summer months. We love water activities so I take notice of that. Have a great cruise. Cherie

You just never know.

I have sailed these crossings many times and no one knows for sure.

CruiserBruce made an excellent point which we think about. Decide if direction is an issue for you.

We prefer to sailed East to West because you move the clock back a few times rather then West to East where you will move the clock forward.

In short, do not over analyze this. Pick the one that works best for your schedule.

I also recommend doing a pre cruise stay regardless of which one you select so factor that in.

Keith

Here's a link to an excellent website by a Maui based meteorologist Glenn James & this is the average monthly Hawaii weather.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/trip-planning-weather/

April – Spring weather pattern has become well established, very few winter type storms ever occur this month. Tradewinds are usually quite strong on the windward sides, and frequently carry moisture in the form of cloudiness and showers with them. Lots of sunshine in the leeward areas. Mild weather prevails from the second half of this month through October. Tradewinds blow on the average 74% of the time. Sea water temperature averages about 75 degrees F.

April averages for different locations on Maui Lahaina 84-65 F. (28.9C-18.3C) 1.05" of precipitation Hana 80-67 F. (26.7C-19.4C) 8.95" of precipitation Kahului 82-66 F. (27.8C-18.9C) 1.84" of precipitation

Kahului % of possible daytime sunshine: 56%

September – The weather continues to be very warm, the height of summer here in the tropics. Some of the highest temperature readings of the season occur in this month. Tropical Storms and Hurricanes rarely enter Hawaiian waters, but this is the month when they come the closest and are more apt to affect the weather on Maui. Normally they stay far away, but when they get close enough to the island, they make the residents uncomfortable with the muggy atmosphere they produce. Hurricane Iniki entered into the adjacent waters, and impacted the island of Kauai in September of 1992. Tradewinds blow on the average 83% of the time. Sea water temperature averages about 80 degrees F.

September averages for different locations on Maui Lahaina 89-70 F. (31.7C-21.1C) .34" of precipitation Hana 84-70 F. (28.9C-21.1C) 5.38" of precipitation Kahului 88-70 F. (31.1C-21.1C) .35" of precipitation

I prefer the April temperatures which are cooler here than the September heat.

Edited by Astro Flyer

AstroFlyer- did you notice the contradiction in the info you copy/pasted? In April, it says "mild weather prevails from the second half of this month through October". Then the comments about September being the peak of summer. Of course the general temp difference is only about 5 degrees. That is relatively mild temp change when people from much of the mainland US can expect 30-40 degree temp changes between April and September.

Aloha,

We are expecting another HOT summer here in Hawaii. We did receive guidance from NOAA and other agencies saying that the summer will be dry and hot but there should be more trade winds than last year (which was a record year for us in Hawaii). Last September, we had temps upwards of 95F with 80-90% humidity and a dew point of over 75F++ in July-Sept. There is also the threat of hurricanes in Sept as that is in the middle of our season in the Central Pacific. As OP have mentioned, however, there is never a guarantee with weather. Typically, as we say here in Hawaii, anytime is a good time to visit ;) Have fun on whatever trip you decide on!

AstroFlyer- did you notice the contradiction in the info you copy/pasted? In April, it says "mild weather prevails from the second half of this month through October". Then the comments about September being the peak of summer. Of course the general temp difference is only about 5 degrees. That is relatively mild temp change when people from much of the mainland US can expect 30-40 degree temp changes between April and September.

I quickly cut/paste the info because I didn't have much time to post it.

I much prefer the winter temperatures which is usually upper 70s to low 80s and usually only about a 10 degree increase in the summer. As the other post said, we had warmer temperatures last year & now dryer conditions due to El Niño.

Temperature variations in Hawaii are mild in comparison to many parts of the world. News weather forecasters say to put on an extra blanket on when it drops into the 60s overnight. The lowest temperature inside our house within walking distance of the beach has been 72°.

Temperatures at altitude such as Upcountry & Haleakala are colder & a standard lapse rate would be a 3° drop for every 1,000 feet above sea level.

AstroFlyer - Were you home March 8 & 9 with those incredible winds, rain, and cold weather? I was across the street from the beach in Kihei, getting my daughters apartment ready for movers, and I don't think I have ever experienced that on Maui. The rain and the wind were gale force, I actually closed windows, which I never do. What an unusual weather pattern.

But, I like warm and tropic temps so September still is my vote for this cruise. And I always disagree with those who say the weather doesn't change much. The difference between 70 and 80 is a big deal to me when I am traveling to a warm, tropic climate. It depends on what you like to do. JMO Cherie

Edited by cccole

I would choose September over April. April can get a lot of rain. I've been to the islands numerous times in September and October and always found the weather great.

Was awful when we were there at the beginning of October last year - fortunately we saw it with good weather the same period 2 years previously.

Although my favorite time to visit Hawaii is Sept/Oct, a lot depend on the travelers preferences. For me, beach time is essential and the water is warmer than. You can have rain at any time but I've experienced it more in April.

I suggest maherp should research it and base it on their preferences. There is so much info on the web and in travel books.

I have done the September cruise twice (2102 & 2014) with Royal instead of Celebrity. Weather was good for the transit and throughout our stay in the islands in 2012. For 2014 the transit weather was cooler for the first couple days with more rain but again the time in the islands was great.

Next month with be our first time to try the opposite route starting in Hawaii. I am hoping for great islands weather again. I live in Seattle and knowing what the weather is like in this region during late April I am figuring the latter half of the transit may not be as nice but it's still a cruise. :)

Thanks everyone for your helpful information.

I think I will try the September one and hopefully have a great cruise. You never know I might get to book another one while on board and book an April one as well.