Crew dining and drinking in uniform

windsurferfirst

But I agree with them, that when a Princess Crew member is in uniform, in a passenger area, it is very natural to presume that they are at work.

So, when you see the captain eating dinner in the lido, you

presume he is at work?

I presume he is off duty.

Crew (waiters, stewards, cooks, everyone else) are not allowed to eat in any passenger area. Staff and officers eating in passenger areas need to be in uniform and not take away seats from passengers.

Crew can eat in the speciality resturants with permission of their

department head.

Attire depends on position.

Officers always in uniform.

Crew can wear dressy personal clothes, but always with nametag.

Semantics.

On ships, the reference to "crew" does not include officers so when one says the "crew" is dining in passenger areas, they are referring to members of the ship's company other than officers. So, there's a difference.

If you see "crew" in passenger areas eating and drinking, that would not be acceptable other than in special circumstances.

If you see officers in passenger areas eating and possibly drinking, that's very different as they are permitted to do so.

We were on the Regal in February in the Crown Grill having dinner. A couple of groups of crew all dressed in their whites came. They ordered dinner wine and other drinks. As I was eating I got to thinking about it and thought is it right that crew who must of been off duty as they were drinking, should wear their uniform while drinking. I wondered what Princess's stance was on this and what sort of impression it gave the passengers. Princess must think it's OK or the crew wouldn't do it.

It still kinda niggles me. I wonder what you you guys think about it.

My first thought about this post is "So What?"

Officers know what they are and are not permitted to do on board. Also consider that they dining and drinking in public view. If it were not permissible, according to Princess, why would they be doing it in plain view of passengers??? I think not!

Even 'regular crew', who do their eating, drinking and celebrating below decks, have access to alcohol from the crew bar, down in the belly of the ship where they live when off duty. Again, so what?

But what about the Captain whose position means he could be called to the Bridge anytime?

Would you be worried if you saw him having a cocktail or two?

Not really. While the Captain is ultimately responsible for everything that happens aboard this ship, if called to the bridge during an emergency and he has had a couple drinks, he won't take over command of the bridge. There are other officers with plenty of experience to give the orders.

I think the issue that concerned the OP, and me come to that, is that when one sees a crew member in uniform on the ship, wherever they may be, it is natural to presume that they are on duty and working.

Many places of work where employees wear uniforms, ask that they cover up or change out of uniform if they are in the workplace whilst off duty. For example, in Asda, colleagues have to cover up their uniform when in the store when they are off duty so it is very clear to customers that they are not at work.

Therefore, to see ships crew, especially those in white uniforms which always appear to denote responsibility, drinking alcohol and seeming to be on duty because they are in uniform, would quite rightly raise alarm.

I don't think the original poster was suggesting that the crew should be denied a lovely meal and a drink to go with it. But I agree with them, that when a Princess Crew member is in uniform, in a passenger area, it is very natural to presume that they are at work. That means our safety, indeed our lives are in their hands. I would not like to see them drinking alcohol whilst at work. And if they are in uniform, it's impossible for a passenger to know if they are at work or not.

Presume pretty much equates with assume. I think we're all fairly familiar with the old adage regarding the use of that word.

Not really. While the Captain is ultimately responsible for everything that happens aboard this ship, if called to the bridge during an emergency and he has had a couple drinks, he won't take over command of the bridge. There are other officers with plenty of experience to give the orders.
The Staff Captain is fully qualified.

I think the issue that concerned the OP, and me come to that, is that when one sees a crew member in uniform on the ship, wherever they may be, it is natural to presume that they are on duty and working.

Many places of work where employees wear uniforms, ask that they cover up or change out of uniform if they are in the workplace whilst off duty. For example, in Asda, colleagues have to cover up their uniform when in the store when they are off duty so it is very clear to customers that they are not at work.

Therefore, to see ships crew, especially those in white uniforms which always appear to denote responsibility, drinking alcohol and seeming to be on duty because they are in uniform, would quite rightly raise alarm.

I don't think the original poster was suggesting that the crew should be denied a lovely meal and a drink to go with it. But I agree with them, that when a Princess Crew member is in uniform, in a passenger area, it is very natural to presume that they are at work. That means our safety, indeed our lives are in their hands. I would not like to see them drinking alcohol whilst at work. And if they are in uniform, it's impossible for a passenger to know if they are at work or not.

Very well said...I had the same thoughts.

Is the captain considered 'on duty' 24/7? Chatted with the Captain one evening in Crooners (he was having a drink, one drink) and since we were porting the next morning, he said he would be getting up at 4 am. We hit a big storm that night and at 7 am the next morning he broadcast into the staterooms (I still think it was his way of waking everyone up so they would disembark on time) that he had been up all night on the bridge keeping us safe. Frankly, I think I would be more concerned with the Captain and his bridge officers working with little to no sleep than one who had one cocktail.

Last year on the Grand the bartender at Crooners was going to dinner at the Crown Grill. It was initiative by his supervisor as a thank you for a job well done. And we have also talked with other crew who have been rewarded in the same special way.

I have not cruised nearly as much as most of the regular correspondents on this board. On the other hand I have been occasionally cruising for almost forty years, and am now in double digits. If I were to bet, I would wager that I have seen officers in uniform dining on every cruise. I can't say for absolute sure, but I would imagine that, more often than not, they enjoyed wine or, maybe, a cocktail.

I've always thought it was neat to see them enjoying themselves. Being the suspicious kind of guy I am, I've always thought it was part of their job description--joining, very conspicuously, with the passengers and demonstrating that all should be having a good time.

Captain Stubing and his crew have drinks all the time with passengers.

He also has his barely pubescent daughter wearing a uniform and name tag mingling with the passengers. (And yet he manages to run the Pacific Princess with only five crew members).

Captain Stubing and his crew have drinks all the time with passengers.

LOL. On the 50th Anniversary cruise, most of the Love Boat cast was there in the dining room. They had a big table, but the captain seemed to eat in his suite every night. Gopher could be found in the bar almost every night. ;)

As one of the previous posters said the ship is split into 3 ranks, Officers, Staff & Crew - Officers can more or less do what they like, Staff are allowed to use most of ships facilities as long as its not interfering with passengers use and Crew can sometimes but have to get supervisors permissons to go to the Crown Grill for example.

I worked for Princess for 7 years and when I was on the Emerald doing the 12 day Batlic run, it became a regular thing for most of the photo team who were off on the first night to go to the Crown Grill or Sabatini's as usually they are fairly quiet on the first of a cruise and we still pay the $25 cover charge and tip generously as well! So Princess would still make money off the crew!

There would be subtle changes between ships in regards to the rules, some ships we would have to wear formal uniform, one ship we had to wear casual uniform but most would let you wear you own clothes (and name badge of course).

It was great to throw on a smart suit for a night out when you live in a polo shirt most of the time, and the girls used to love any excuse to get dressed up, it was almost like being a passenger sometimes. You'd go to whatever backdrop the rest of the team had set up that night and mess around get your picture taken then you'd meet in one of the bars for a few drinks before dinner and depending on how much food you ate, we'd all venture up to the usually empty nightclub for a few cocktails before heading down to the crew bar.

Then sleep well and not have to eat the next day! since I started working on land Crown Grill is one of the biggest things I miss from ships, the food and service was almost always excellent and being English paying $25 is nothing for a fantastic meal like you'd get onboard. You'd pay close to £25 just for the steak on in the UK.

Brenda Dionne (Groups Coordinator) and I dining at Murano on Celebrity Solstice recently. Am sure Princess follows the same etiquette.

Crew MUST wear uniform when in public areas. No exceptions. On or off duty. Going ashore they access the gangways from below deck.

DSCN0002.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We were on the Regal in February in the Crown Grill having dinner. A couple of groups of crew all dressed in their whites came. They ordered dinner wine and other drinks. As I was eating I got to thinking about it and thought is it right that crew who must of been off duty as they were drinking, should wear their uniform while drinking. I wondered what Princess's stance was on this and what sort of impression it gave the passengers. Princess must think it's OK or the crew wouldn't do it.

It still kinda niggles me. I wonder what you you guys think about it.

Just a quick point. Crew are never off duty. If there is an emergency then they are automatically on duty. Cruise ship work comes with certain perks and also responsibilities. They are required to wear their uniform when in passenger areas of the ship. It identifies them as crew. Passenger impression would be vast majority in favour. They see crew off duty enjoying a dinner it either advertises the dining venue as the place to be and also lets the passenger see the crew get privileges enhancing the image of the cruise line at the same time.

Anyone who has worked on a ship at sea could confirm to you that you are never off duty at sea.

I have spoken with crew members and staff on various cruises. On one cruise, I treated myself to a massage and was speaking to my masseuse, she said that she had worked on various lines and that Princess was her favorite, mainly because of how they were treated. She said that Princess allowed crew to dine in the Horizon Food court during off peak hours. An officer once told me that she was able to use most of the facilities when off duty as long as she 1) was in uniform and 2) she was wearing her name tag. The exception was if she was at the pool in swimming attire. This was a couple years ago, but I thought it was interesting.

I have spoken with crew members and staff on various cruises. On one cruise, I treated myself to a massage and was speaking to my masseuse, she said that she had worked on various lines and that Princess was her favorite, mainly because of how they were treated. She said that Princess allowed crew to dine in the Horizon Food court during off peak hours. An officer once told me that she was able to use most of the facilities when off duty as long as she 1) was in uniform and 2) she was wearing her name tag. The exception was if she was at the pool in swimming attire. This was a couple years ago, but I thought it was interesting.

Need to differentiate staff vs. crew.

The masseuse if probably considered staff.

The workers in the laundry, cabin attendants, dining room waiters, etc. would be considered crew.

You will not see crew eating in the Horizon Court. You might see staff there.